ags247

Looking for guidance - My fiance is on the Newest Travel Ban...now what?

78 posts in this topic

Hi all - 

My fiance is Syrian.  It's taken us almost a year to get to this point.  We have our interview coming up in just a few weeks and I'm just wondering what happens now that the travel ban is in place.

1)  He's affected by the travel ban - so what happens if they deny him a k1-visa?

2) Will they automatically deny his k1-visa since he's from Syria?

3)  Can he get a waiver?  Any ideas on how we can get a waiver??

4) If we get denied - what should we do?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Has he been interviewed?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

First off, I'm so sorry.My best suggestion is to contact the embassy. Only they can tell you what they'll be doing with your case; you can see if there's the potential for a hardship waiver in your case or maybe another loophole. If you can find a way to demonstrate your fiancé has connections to the U.S. or is otherwise really pro-America, it might help too. I don't know what their criteria is for determining that someone's not a "threat to the U.S," but if you have chat logs where he's talking about his excitement to come to the States or he's praising something about the U.S., maybe you could include that? Or if he ever worked for an American company or something to that effect, maybe you could include that too? Only the embassy can tell you, though. I'd send them an email or call them. And if nothing else, go to the interview unless you hear otherwise. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

1.  ??  His visa application is marked as denied and that ends the application process.   What happens afterward if he is denied is up to you both as a couple.  

2.  No if that was the case they wouldn't being doing interviews.

3.  Waiver depends on the ground for denial and if the consulate determines he is waiver eligible.

4. Again you must decide that for yourselves as a couple.  Options include refiling, marrying and refiling CR1, do nothing, you move there, etc.  Don't put the cart before the horse.  See what happens at the interview first.

His interview is Jan 9th.

I'm trying to remain positive - but having a hard time trying to get any answers.

He's a refugee I met while we were volunteering together and now he's finally been placed in another country but still living in a camp for refugees in his new country.... surely there must be some waiver...Anybody know what the procedure is for requesting a waiver? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing to do until his interview.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
7 minutes ago, ags247 said:

so do I need to write up a waiver letter?

Write up a waiver letter???  Where are you getting this from?  A waiver from what??  You haven't even had the interview yet.  There is no such thing as a waiver letter.  Its a form sent in with other documentation and paperwork AFTER the embassy tells you it is required.

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline
On 12/12/2017 at 11:33 AM, ags247 said:

His interview is Jan 9th.

I'm trying to remain positive - but having a hard time trying to get any answers.

He's a refugee I met while we were volunteering together and now he's finally been placed in another country but still living in a camp for refugees in his new country.... surely there must be some waiver...Anybody know what the procedure is for requesting a waiver? 

Answers from who regarding what?  As I stated in my previous answer you need to have the interview first and go from there.   Surely there must be some type of waiver for what??

30 minutes ago, LionessDeon said:

Answers from who regarding what?  As I stated in my previous answer you need to have the interview first and go from there.   Surely there must be some type of waiver for what??

He is subject to the ban. - He can't come into the country - at least according to Trumps new ban :/

Timeline
1 minute ago, ags247 said:

He is subject to the ban. - He can't come into the country - at least according to Trumps new ban :/

Ok and.....

Waivers don't waive bans.  They waive inadmissibilities. 

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
22 minutes ago, ags247 said:

If he was subject to the ban I doubt they would even call him in for an interview. The Trump ban has a few exceptions for example family members of USC. Unless you hear otherwise collect evidence and have him go to the interview. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 12/13/2017 at 11:46 AM, ags247 said:

False

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-06-30/trump-travel-ban-wont-keep-engaged-couples-apart-after-all

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
6 hours ago, nykolos said:

That article is from June, things have changed since. Last I heard not even spouses will get any visas from some of those 7 banned countries.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.