mae anne

Tourist Visa for a Nanny

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a nanny in Philippines who has been with my family for 35 years, and I would like to get her a US tourist visa so she can come visit me in Texas. What documentations does she need to submit? She doesn't have money in the bank or any properties but me and my husband want to pay for all her expenses while she's here. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You can  not sponsor her for a tourist visa.  She will have to apply and qualify entirely on her own.  She will have to convince the CO that she will return to her country.  Evidence of Your financial support can possibly have an adverse effect.........

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Might be one of the few cases where an I 134 would be appropriate, what else?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Since you can afford to pay for her expenses, I suppose you can afford her visa application fee. Don't get your hopes up though. I'd say her odds of success are slim to none. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, mae anne said:

I have a nanny in Philippines who has been with my family for 35 years, and I would like to get her a US tourist visa so she can come visit me in Texas. What documentations does she need to submit? She doesn't have money in the bank or any properties but me and my husband want to pay for all her expenses while she's here. 

You can file an i134 form along with supporting docs with her to present during interview.

06-30-2011- I-130 filed (marked as our PD)

07-09-2011- NOA1

12-09-2011- I-130 Approved

01-09-2012- case number and IIN assigned, ds-3032 and AOS bill invoiced

01-09-2012- AOS paid online

01-10-2012- AOS fee PAID

01-15-2012- emailed DS-3032

01-19-2012- DS-3032 accepted

01-19-2012- IV fee invoiced

01-20-2012- IV fee paid online

01-24-2012- IV fee PAID

01-24-2012- mailed AOS form

01-25-2012- mailed DS230 (via fedex)

02-01-2012- RFE NBI and ds230 part 2 should be submitted

02-02-2012- RFE sent to NVC

02-10-2012-case completed INTERVIEW SCHEDULED (March 13,2012)

02-16-2012-medical examination PASSED

...preparing for interview

03-13-2012- VISA APPROVED!!!

Timeline
27 minutes ago, jan22 said:

An I-134 will have no use in a tourist visa application.  It is not a legally binding document and only shows the applicant's lack of local resources and dependence on a US financial resource instead.

Shows she has access to funds to pay her way, and what else does she have, can not make a bad situation any worse.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
On 11/1/2017 at 8:04 PM, SusieQQQ said:

People from my country visiting relatives in the US have often successfully had an I134 used in their applications to show that they can support themselves in the US, particularly for trips of longer than a few weeks. But that’s relatives, where it makes more sense you’d fund someone else’s trip.

what concerns me more tbh is the title of this thread - it’s not visa for a friend/family friend, but “nanny”. Raises suspicion that she will be visiting not as a friend but to work as a nanny for a while. If the consulate sees it that way too then she won’t have much chance of getting a visa.

(im interested in this actually as we’d like to fund our old nanny a trip here too - a genuine holiday, she’s never travelled and she was practically a family member. I just don’t know how suspiciously the consulate would view such an application. )

They may have presented an I-134 during a successful application --- but that doesn't mean it was a cause and effect relationship.  All the I-134 shows is someone is willing to fill out a form for the person....there is no way to enforce it and no guarantee that the promised monies will be supplied.

I think your concern about the "nanny" issue is well-founded...it will be an extra hurdle for her to overcome if she is to be successful.

10 hours ago, jan22 said:

They may have presented an I-134 during a successful application --- but that doesn't mean it was a cause and effect relationship.  All the I-134 shows is someone is willing to fill out a form for the person....there is no way to enforce it and no guarantee that the promised monies will be supplied.

Maybe, but some U.S. Embassy websites actually recommend visitors get these if they may otherwise have a problem proving they can finance their trip, and it certainly  falsifies the opinion presented earlier that such things actually endanger an application.

Incidentally, it is also the affidavit of support that DV applicants may be asked to provide, not an I864. I know DV applicants whose success was contingent on providing these - as in they were placed on AP until they could provide one, after which their visas were issued. So despite its uncertain legal status, it is definitely not dismissed as meaningless by consulates. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

46 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Maybe, but some U.S. Embassy websites actually recommend visitors get these if they may otherwise have a problem proving they can finance their trip, and it certainly  falsifies the opinion presented earlier that such things actually endanger an application.

Incidentally, it is also the affidavit of support that DV applicants may be asked to provide, not an I864. I know DV applicants whose success was contingent on providing these - as in they were placed on AP until they could provide one, after which their visas were issued. So despite its uncertain legal status, it is definitely not dismissed as meaningless by consulates. 

I wasn't referring to it in the context of DVs...completely different use and different reason for requesting it.

For visitor visas, you're right, it likely doesn't endanger the application, but it also is unlikely it will help.

Edited by jan22

4 hours ago, jan22 said:

I wasn't referring to it in the context of DVs...completely different use and different reason for requesting it.

For visitor visas, you're right, it likely doesn't endanger the application, but it also is unlikely it will help.

But as you said "All the I-134 shows is someone is willing to fill out a form for the person....there is no way to enforce it and no guarantee that the promised monies will be supplied.", it should make it even less useful in the case of a DV application where the person (immigrant) involved has more recourse to public funds than a visitor. 

And I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the I134 in the context of a tourist visa. After all USCIS itself says the entire point of it is "To show that visa applicants have sponsorship and will not become public charges while in the United States."  https://www.uscis.gov/i-134 And there are embassies that suggest using it. What's the point of USCIS having it in the first place if it's not going to help anyone? (It was in existence long before DV, DV just got added into it, and the few thousand (if that) DV cases a year that use it are certainly dwarfed by tourist visa applications, so it's definitely not there for DV.)  Why would they bother having it for tourist applications if it was going to be ignored? Just to make more paperwork for everyone?!

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

To be fair trying to look at this sort of thing logically just does your head in, logic and Government entities rarely matches.

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

But as you said "All the I-134 shows is someone is willing to fill out a form for the person....there is no way to enforce it and no guarantee that the promised monies will be supplied.", it should make it even less useful in the case of a DV application where the person (immigrant) involved has more recourse to public funds than a visitor. 

And I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the I134 in the context of a tourist visa. After all USCIS itself says the entire point of it is "To show that visa applicants have sponsorship and will not become public charges while in the United States."  https://www.uscis.gov/i-134 And there are embassies that suggest using it. What's the point of USCIS having it in the first place if it's not going to help anyone? (It was in existence long before DV, DV just got added into it, and the few thousand (if that) DV cases a year that use it are certainly dwarfed by tourist visa applications, so it's definitely not there for DV.)  Why would they bother having it for tourist applications if it was going to be ignored? Just to make more paperwork for everyone?!

The I-134 used to be the AOS for all immigrant visas.  It was determined in the mid-1990's that it did not have sufficient legal language to make it a binding contract.  Thus, the I-864 was developed as a legally-binding contract and took the place of the I-134. 

Since the I-864 cannot be required for a DV, the I-134 has hung around and is sometimes used for DV applicants -- helps show they have at least some minimal type of support system to help them get started in the US. It also is the only AOS th a that can be used for K-1 visas.  It was never intended (and still isn't) for non-immigrant visa applications othe than the K-1.  It should not be listed on any Embassy's website, but some just throw it out as something that could be presented when people demand to know what documents they can present for their case.  Consular officers are frequently told not to rely on any documents except those required by law for the visa category (e.g., the I-20 for F-1 student visas),  since documents are easily faked all over the world.

Edited by jan22

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.