2,950 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
40 minutes ago, David1987 said:

My heart goes to u. Thanks for representing us 🏳️‍🌈 I hope u find love soon if u haven't already

Thank you so much for your support. My dear late husband is surely survived by me, my 400/751 approval is one of his pieces of love for me, I am forever grateful and the memories we shared for 21 years will never die. I hope your 751 and 400 get approved soon. The journey will be eventually over for you for good. You will be a citizen like me, it will be exciting for you and your husband to officially be part of this great country as citizens!

Edited by Zombie69

I am thankful to this thread for even giving me the idea to file for citizenship before my removal of conditions was approved! It definitely made a difference in getting things going in my case.

Had my I-751 interview today and was approved on the spot. Got notification that 10-year card was ordered an hour after interview. Waiting for oath ceremony in May as well since I already had my N-400 interview at the beginning of this year. Seeing the end of this journey finally!

(About today's interview: the office said they only had to call me and my spouse in because my N-400 application triggered the sending of my I-751 file to the local office; would have been approved with interview waiver by VSC staff otherwise. Literally didn't ask us anything other than to confirm our names and DoB and our child's name and DoB. Since we are traveling to Canada at the end of this week, he gave me an I-551 stamp in my passport for three months and took my CR green card.)

Edited by DeKi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 3/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, GoodbyeGirl said:

Sure! Here's what I did. Good luck. :) 

Thanks for sharing. 

I have filled out the form but It displayed the message that the application is under normal processing time. 

Hello 

I'll try and help here with my experience, but others may have a different view. :) 

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

QUESTIONS

• Has the green card now been bundled in with the citizenship application?

It's likely that both your cases will be with your local office for adjudication 

• Does that mean that, even though we waited, the green card simply won't come on its own schedule?

It's common for filers who submitted the N400 with i-751 pending to be treated as a combi case, having the Green Card interview and N400 test/interview on the same day with their spouse in attendance. Some get their physical Green Card (I did) and others don't - but the important thing is the formal status confirming GC approval.

• Is there any way to ferret out slightly more detailed information from anywhere aside from "Your application was received?"

You can submit an online inquiry, call USCIS and ask to speak to a tier 2 or make an Infopass appointment at your local office

• How long does it take to get an extension on the conditional Green Card?
    • Should I apply on April 11, 90 days before it expires, or ought I to wait until June 11,  only 30 days before it expires?
    • Does asking for an extension add to the delays?

My local office will only issue the i-551 (stamp in the passport) around 30 days before the expiration of the current Green Card. I would hold off, as you may find your cases - at the very least your GC - see some traction before July 2019.

• Or has the office been sending second extension letters automatically as well?
    • If so, how long do I wait before I apply for an extension?

As far as I'm aware, there is only one 18-month extension letter. Should you get to at least a month before that expires and there's still no progress, then make an infopass and your 'extension' will be the i-551.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:09 AM, jaske78 said:

Hi there!

So some confusion here, and I will give you a timeline and then ask my questions:

TIMELINE

• Applied for permanent green card, November 2017, still no word.
  • Application was transferred to local field office on March 4, 2018, and has been sitting there ever since.
  • Extension granted on conditional green card, January 2018, expiring July 2019
  • Applied for citizenship, February 4, 2019. At current timeline, it should be adjudicated in November/December 2019.

PROBLEMS

• At current timeline, the Green Card should be adjudicated in April 2019, however, the current timelines show that they are now dealing with applications far later than ours.
  • We hoped that, by delaying the citizenship application, we could sidestep some of the problems reported here, of the citizenship being adjudicated before the green card was finished.
  • The conditional Green Card's extension is almost over, and I am not sure if it would hamper things to ask for an extension now.

QUESTIONS

• Has the green card now been bundled in with the citizenship application?
    • Does that mean that, even though we waited, the green card simply won't come on its own schedule?
    • Is there any way to ferret out slightly more detailed information from anywhere aside from "Your application was received?"
  • How long does it take to get an extension on the conditional Green Card?
    • Should I apply on April 11, 90 days before it expires, or ought I to wait until June 11,  only 30 days before it expires?
    • Does asking for an extension add to the delays?
  • Or has the office been sending second extension letters automatically as well?
    • If so, how long do I wait before I apply for an extension?

Thank you in advance!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current status: UK and USA citizen

12-Mar-19: I-751 (WAC18026) + N400 combi interview

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

1 May 19: Voter registration card in-hand

3 May 19: USA passport in-hand

11 May 19: New SSN card in-hand

Try another option, like 'notice wasn't received' and use the query box to explain why you're getting in touch. It worked for me! :)

43 minutes ago, hsp_1221 said:

Thanks for sharing. 

I have filled out the form but It displayed the message that the application is under normal processing time. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current status: UK and USA citizen

12-Mar-19: I-751 (WAC18026) + N400 combi interview

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

1 May 19: Voter registration card in-hand

3 May 19: USA passport in-hand

11 May 19: New SSN card in-hand

Just a quick update from my case:

• I filed for I-751 in 2/2017
  • I filed for N-400 in 2/2018
  • We had a combo interview last month

With that timeline, I have two questions:

1. Since it has been a month without any updates, is there anything I can do to speed it along / status check?
  2. Does anyone know the steps to reach the tier 2 officer directly by calling in the standard 1 (800) 375-5283 number?

Timeline
1 hour ago, et19 said:

1. Since it has been a month without any updates, is there anything I can do to speed it along / status check?
  2. Does anyone know the steps to reach the tier 2 officer directly by calling in the standard 1 (800) 375-5283 number?

To answer your questions with my experience, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to speed up the processing time, it is totally up to USCIS. To reach a tier 2 officer, you have to talk to a regular representative and ask to be transferred to a tier 2 officer. I would take a grain of salt about what tier 2 officers say because with my experience, whatever they tell you usually turn out to be false. Good luck.

Timeline
2 hours ago, et19 said:

There is something called "mandumous" action you could take through federal court. If the applicant has an unreasonable delay, the applicant could petition a federal court to force USCIS to adjudicate your case, but you need a lawyer for that, and it will be an expensive endeavor. USCIS could always spin by defining what their normal "processing time" is which might make it difficult to deploy mandamous action. The best bet is probably just to wait to out with patience unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Zombie69 said:

There is something called "mandumous" action you could take through federal court. If the applicant has an unreasonable delay, the applicant could petition a federal court to force USCIS to adjudicate your case, but you need a lawyer for that, and it will be an expensive endeavor. USCIS could always spin by defining what their normal "processing time" is which might make it difficult to deploy mandamous action. The best bet is probably just to wait to out with patience unfortunately.

Thank you so much @Zombie69 for your prompt responses.

• I thought "mandumous" is only applied to N400 and it has to be 120 days after the interview that you can file it. Is that true? I don't mind forking out some money to move this along as this is impairing with my work performance (too much stress and anxiety). Perhaps I should consult an attorney at this point (I remember she did tell me the 120 days piece). I am wondering if anyone tries (or should try) congressman / senator at this stage in my timeline: over 2 years for I-751 and over 1 year for N-400. You are right here; I should just try to stay calm and patient.
  • My trick to get tier 1 officer is to not press any buttons and that lands me in a rotary phone tier 1 agent. Do you know of any better tricks :)

Timeline
13 minutes ago, et19 said:

Thank you so much @Zombie69 for your prompt responses.

• I thought "mandumous" is only applied to N400 and it has to be 120 days after the interview that you can file it. Is that true? I don't mind forking out some money to move this along as this is impairing with my work performance (too much stress and anxiety). Perhaps I should consult an attorney at this point (I remember she did tell me the 120 days piece). I am wondering if anyone tries (or should try) congressman / senator at this stage in my timeline: over 2 years for I-751 and over 1 year for N-400. You are right here; I should just try to stay calm and patient.
  • My trick to get tier 1 officer is to not press any buttons and that lands me in a rotary phone tier 1 agent. Do you know of any better tricks :)

Welcome. As far as I know, mandamus action applies to 400, asylum, and green card applicants, but I am not 100 positive, so you should check with your lawyer. It is probably the best just to wait it out  , unfortunately. You should consult with your lawyer and see if it is viable to use writ of mandamus because even that, there's no guarantee. As to reaching to a tier 2 officer, what I did was talk to a regular customer service and ask for to be transferred, they usually will transfer you and you will be put on a waiting list to get a call back when it is your turn. I don't know if there are tricks to reach a tier 2 officer directly. You can also contact your congressman to help you, they can't necessarily expedite your application, but they can bug them a bit, and you got nothing to lose. Good luck.

Edited by Zombie69

Hi all,

My case is currently outside normal processing time. I just called in USCIS Contact Center. They said that both cases I-751 and N-400 will be adjudicated at the same time. But I was wondering what the answer is not quite straightforward because IDK how long do I need to wait until it gets processed at the same time?

* I applied I-751 on Sep-2017

* I also applied N-400 on Nov-2018

They're both pending.

3 hours ago, VietLu said:

Hi all,

My case is currently outside normal processing time. I just called in USCIS Contact Center. They said that both cases I-751 and N-400 will be adjudicated at the same time. But I was wondering what the answer is not quite straightforward because IDK how long do I need to wait until it gets processed at the same time?

They're both pending.

It depends on your local office when interview for N400 can be scheduled.. Once N400 is scheduled for interview, that's the time when i751 will be adjudicated..

3 hours ago, VietLu said:

Hi all,

They're both pending.

I am still waiting and I applied July 2017 for I751 and June 2018 for N400 , I made a service request and they gave me the same answer, my local office processing time for N400 is 13.5 to 23 months.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife's citizenship interview was originally slated for Feb 15 2019..  We waited for an hour and  was kinda bummed out since they rescheduled interview.  We worried this will take months again to be reschedule. We were told by the local USCIS officer since  her I 751 has not been adjudicated they cannot proceed with N400.  I was also told to be present next time during my wife's I 751 interview..  We were told they will have to reschedule both within 90 days.  The officer took our phone number and email.   Mid March she got a notice for I 751 interview only  on April 15  but without the N400.  We followed GoodByeGirl's advice (thank you) and asked USCIS whether it will be a joint N400 and I 751 interview. Just today an officer from the local USCIS office called to notify my wife that her N400 interview will follow right after the I 751.  She also sent her the email letter with the date and time of the N400 on same day as the I 751.  Hopefully this is it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.