Marlz1844

K1 Background checks? Marijuana use?

49 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Misspeggy said:

if he stop consuming marihuana then the test would be negative, and that's what matters, so he will not be a marihuana user at that time, and that's what really matters. Just skip obvious things that are not that important like everyone in real life would do.

Not true and bad advice. They will go through his history of drug use. A person can still get denied if they have used in the pass but pass the drug test. Do a search on here. There are many cases where people's significant other was banned even if they haven't done drugs in years. It actually is not skipped over.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Actually it is not ridiculous. Your fiance is trying to hide it by "cleaning" his system now. So quite honestly he is being deceitful. If a drug test was not part of the process then he would continue using it. Saying that it is ridiculous is not seeing the big picture. A person with a history of drug use will likely continue to use it.

Getting caught lying will result in a permanent ban. Why can't he take responsibility of his actions and tell the truth. He actually may not get a ban.

You’re making assumptions and being judgemental.

He has always wanted to stop. This is added pressure and an incentive to stop. 

He’s making the necessary steps to stay clean. I’m not sure how that equates to him being deceitful.

Once people hear drugs, like you did, you assume someone is an addicted. I’ve used marijuana before, does that make me an addict? Be careful of making unnecessary assumptions.

No where did I mention that he is planning to lie. Part of taking responsibility is stopping and taking the necessary step to stay clean, which is what he’s doing. 

Edited by Marlz1844
Corrections

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Marlz1844 said:

Not true.  It is a FACT that many, if not most people who were habitual users for years don't just stop using.  Even after treatment, there is a high rate of recurrence.   Therefore,  applicants who have a history of drug use usually have to undergo treatment before being allowed to immigrate to the US.  That's why the one year ban happens.

Other posters are just trying to tell you to prepare yourself for the delay.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Hello, don't confuse yourself and stressing over things beyond your control. Your information is broken up into other answers so I can't really analyse and judge precisely. 

However, try to find out when was the last time he was on it honestly.

Than your concern would be to see if he can detox himself before the medical examination. 

The ban is only possible if the medical evaluation recommends the ban due to drug use. If the medical evaluation comes out clean of drugs meaning HE DOES NOT SHOW ANY SIGN of being on drugs currently and the doctor dong think he will go back to usingit than he won't have to go through the ban.

I always tell people with drug history to demonstrate that you are no longer on drugs and that you can physically, mentally and professionally support yourself. 

Even if you have drug history and you are not on it and you can demonstrate you are straight forward carrying yourself right as a good character role model you are giving them an opportunity to assess the good over bad. You should retain a lawyer though. 

Even though immigration is straight forward do it yourself thing nowadays but in your case where their is a possibility of a ban you should consider seeking expertise of of a legal lawyer in carrying out your case and demonstrating good over bad.

I hope I have answered most of your concerns.

Ahsan A Syed

50 minutes ago, Marlz1844 said:

He has always wanted to stop. This is added pressure and an incentive to stop. 

He’s making the necessary steps to stay clean. I’m not sure how that equates to him being deceitful.

Once people hear drugs, like you did, you assume someone is an addicted. I’ve used marijuana before, does that make me an addict? Be careful of making unnecessary assumptions.

No where did I mention that he is planning to lie. Part of taking responsibility is stopping and taking the necessary step to stay clean, which is what he’s doing. 

Not being judgmental at all. Nowhere in any of my post did I use the word "addict". A person can use it occasionally and not be an addict. But you have to understand that the US has a zero tolerance for drugs. There are young people who were caught with small amounts of drugs who were sentenced to years of jail time. Is it fair? Maybe not. But that is the law.

Using for a short period of time with every intention to stop  is still a history of use. It is a crappy deal for many but it is what you should be aware of. That is the very reason you are on here. To find out the risk. It would be wrong of us to tell you there is nothing to worry about. Don't take it as an attack on you or your fiance but use it as a way to educate yourself on it so you can be prepared.

There is a long time member and contributor of visajourney, @LionessDeon whose husband completed the one year ban. They also went through the Jamaican embassy. But they overcame it. It is not the end of the world. Hopefully she will chime in.

I did a search for you on topics discussing what happens if a person has a history of drug use. Here are a few threads.

Good luck.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

6 hours ago, Misspeggy said:

if he stop consuming marihuana then the test would be negative, and that's what matters, so he will not be a marihuana user at that time, and that's what really matters. Just skip obvious things that are not that important like everyone in real life would do.

Being a current user isn't the only thing that matters for eligibility for the visa. They consider the drug use history as well. There's a lot of threads of people who have passed the actual drug test at the medical and received a ban for drug use.

2 hours ago, Marlz1844 said:

I don't think anybody here said or implied he is addicted. Just that he was a regular user (as you stated), and how that past use may be evaluated.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

7 hours ago, Misspeggy said:

I'm going all Shia Lebeouf on your advice:

No no no no no no nonono.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Actually it is not ridiculous. Your fiance is trying to hide it by "cleaning" his system now. So quite honestly he is being deceitful. If a drug test was not part of the process then he would continue using it. Saying that it is ridiculous is not seeing the big picture. A person with a history of drug use will likely continue to use it.

Getting caught lying will result in a permanent ban. Why can't he take responsibility of his actions and tell the truth. He actually may not get a ban.

I agree he should not lie, I do not use marijuana or promote it’s use, however, it is a bit ridiculous to be banned for using a drug in the past, no matter how recent the past is, especially when 1. It is legal in many states for medical or recreational  use and 2. It is not criminalized in the applicants home country and is actually somewhat normal/accepted to use it in his country. It’s not like he is using heroin. Come on.

Good wishes, i do feel sorry for those getting a one year ban for possibly a one time use of marijuana years ago... 

In your case however, there will likely be a one year ban even if his system is clean due to past use.  Enough posts on this site to tell you that.  This is how it is.

If he chooses to hide the truth and a sensitive test picks it up he will have a life time ban.

28 minutes ago, TamaraN said:

I agree he should not lie, I do not use marijuana or promote it’s use, however, it is a bit ridiculous to be banned for using a drug in the past, no matter how recent the past is, especially when 1. It is legal in many states for medical or recreational  use and 2. It is not criminalized in the applicants home country and is actually somewhat normal/accepted to use it in his country. It’s not like he is using heroin. Come on.

Hmm... this is not VJers making the decision here.  It is what it is.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
15 hours ago, Marlz1844 said:

Only if the presence of marijuana is detected right? What is if, it isn’t? Will he still get the one year ban for being honest? 

Once he admits to using marijuana it is an automatic ban for 1 year a with periodical drug testing carried out at Andrews Memorial Hospital which is the only authorized place to conduct medical examinations for the US Embassy in Jamaica.   It makes no sense to lie.  If caught in a lie he could get a permanent ban a.k.a lifetime ban.  Never be able to enter the US>

Edited by Longingfor

Visa - CR1

Service Center - Nebraska

PD - January 26, 2017

NOA1 - January 31, 2017

NOA2 - November 3, 2017

State Department - Sent November 7, 2017

NVC Received - November 9, 2017

Consular Interview - January 5, 2018

Port of Entry - Miami on January 19, 2018

ROC Mailed - December 14, 2019

ROC Rec'd - December 16, 2019

E-Notification - December 19, 2019

ROC sent to National Benefits Center (MSC receipt #)

Cheque cashed December 20, 2019

Ready to Schedule for interview - October 7, 2020

No ROC interview

New card is being produced - August 16, 2021
Card received - August 23, 2021

N400 -  Online

Filed - July 19, 2021
NOA - July 24, 2021

Biometrics - August 16, 2021
Interview - December 14, 2021

Approval - January 27, 2021

Oath Ceremony Notice Mailed - March 17, 2022

Oath Ceremony - March 30, 2022

Passport Book and Card in hand August 12th and 14th 2022.

My journey is finally over 🥰

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
52 minutes ago, TamaraN said:

1. It is legal in many states for medical or recreational  use and 2. It is not criminalized in the applicants home country and is actually somewhat normal/accepted to use it in his country.

This is entirely irrelevant.  Immigration law is under Federal jurisdiction, and marijuana use is a violation of federal law.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
40 minutes ago, missileman said:

This is entirely irrelevant.  Immigration law is under Federal jurisdiction, and marijuana use is a violation of federal law.

I realize that. I was commenting on the fact that someone corrected the original poster for calling it ridiculous, because it is a bit ridiculous.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.