Jonbolson

Child from assault

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Good evening,

I have petitioned for my fiancee to come got the United States, the petition was approved, she is almost finishing with the embassy, and she discloses that she was assaulted and got pregnant, she didn't tell me the news until a week before the child was born.  I am asking how the child can be brought to the US?  I cannot blame my fiancee or the child what has happened, I will take care of the child as if she were my own.  My fiancee just has to submit one more document the embassy needs and she will have her visa,  she is now saying she doesn't want to leave the child with her family.  My original intent was to bring my fiancee here, get married and then file for a K3/K4 visa for the child as a step child.  Is there a way for the child to come with her mother?

k2 visa.  Child comes with mother.  However you need to apply for a visa for the child, the child needs a medical exam and an interview.  Generally speaking the visa will be valid for 6 months from the medical date so your fiancee could wait out the time for the child and they could immigrate at the same time. 

~~moved to process and procedures from progress reports~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

thank you for your quick response, do i have to pettition again for the child or is this a sensitive subject that I am going to have to convince my fiancee to fully disclose to the embassy the nature of what happened?  

Just now, Jonbolson said:

thank you for your quick response, do i have to pettition again for the child or is this a sensitive subject that I am going to have to convince my fiancee to fully disclose to the embassy the nature of what happened?  

No the child can be attached to the I-129F petition.  However they may ask her some questions shes not comfortable with anyhow but hopefully nothing too intrusive. 

Depending on how old the child is, they may ask why the child wasn't on the I-129F to begin with but with your explanation, you didn't know the child existed until recently or was born after the petition was approved. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Jonbolson said:

Good evening,

I have petitioned for my fiancee to come got the United States, the petition was approved, she is almost finishing with the embassy, and she discloses that she was assaulted and got pregnant, she didn't tell me the news until a week before the child was born.  I am asking how the child can be brought to the US?  I cannot blame my fiancee or the child what has happened, I will take care of the child as if she were my own.  My fiancee just has to submit one more document the embassy needs and she will have her visa,  she is now saying she doesn't want to leave the child with her family.  My original intent was to bring my fiancee here, get married and then file for a K3/K4 visa for the child as a step child.  Is there a way for the child to come with her mother?

5 minutes ago, NikLR said:

No the child can be attached to the I-129F petition.  However they may ask her some questions shes not comfortable with anyhow but hopefully nothing too intrusive. 

Depending on how old the child is, they may ask why the child wasn't on the I-129F to begin with but with your explanation, you didn't know the child existed until recently or was born after the petition was approved. 

I am not sure that not knowing that a child or pregnancy existed during a fiancé visa process is a strong case for a valid relationship.  Born after the petition was approved is probably a better position to take and a pregnancy during this process is going to raise a huge red flag.

Be prepared for the CO to thoroughly drill down into this.  It might be a little bit painful.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline

the petition was approved last in March of 2016, it's been difficult to bring my fiancee here as the embassy has been giving her the run around several times, and the medical exams were a hassle,  as well as all the addtional costs made this visa process take a long time, a long with my fiancee delaying due to the pregnancy she didn't want me to know about.

Timeline

then it sounds like a better option to petition for the child on K3/K4 after we are married to keep the CO from getting too personal,  along with actually hiring a lawyer to finish the green card process along with bringing the child to the US 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Jonbolson said:

the petition was approved last in March of 2016, it's been difficult to bring my fiancee here as the embassy has been giving her the run around several times, and the medical exams were a hassle,  as well as all the addtional costs made this visa process take a long time, a long with my fiancee delaying due to the pregnancy she didn't want me to know about.

I think you should prepare yourself for a denial and figure out what you are going to do from there.  Children have to be listed on the visa application. 

The CO is going to drill into this as soon as she gives the birth date. 

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
5 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

Your visa was approved 18 months ago but she hasn't come yet?? When did you last see her? Has she been getting extension after extension? There will no doubt be issues she will have to explain about the baby's father and why she doesn't have permission to take the baby to the US and now she doesn't want to leave the baby  (I don't blame her).

That's a big, huge secret to keep. Huge. How could one person keep a secret from the other half for THAT long that would significantly impact BOTH your lives? If she was concerned you'd be upset how did she think when you finally found out? Did you not see photos of her for months? My fiance and I send multiple snaps a day. 

There's just soooooo much about this situation doesn't make sense, and the baby doesn't have anything to do with it, but secrets and lies and not seeing each other for such a looooong time. 

Not passing judgement, I don't know either of you, but how certain are either of you that you still want to get married? 

In case there is a feeling that judgement is being passed these are exactly the questions to be prepared for, and probably worse, at the interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Just now, Nitas_man said:

In case there is a feeling that judgement is being passed these are exactly the questions to be prepared for, and probably worse, at the interview.

Right right. I've certainly made plenty of mistakes in life. I definitely don't mean to sound harsh or judgemental and don't answer any of my questions, I'm no one to you - it's not my business in any way at all, but these are questions no doubt EVERYONE will ask and you and her should ask yourselves. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, EandH0904 said:

Right right. I've certainly made plenty of mistakes in life. I definitely don't mean to sound harsh or judgemental and don't answer any of my questions, I'm no one to you - it's not my business in any way at all, but these are questions no doubt EVERYONE will ask and you and her should ask yourselves. 

I'm not the petitioner here.  I do agree with what you said from the standpoint of the case being asked about.

23 minutes ago, Jonbolson said:

then it sounds like a better option to petition for the child on K3/K4 after we are married to keep the CO from getting too personal,  along with actually hiring a lawyer to finish the green card process along with bringing the child to the US 

K-3 is for a spouse bit is obsolete now, and K-4 is only for a dependent of a K-3 visa. It would be a K-2 if your fiancee gets a K-1.

If you get married (before she gets a K-1 visa), she would need a CR-1 visa, and the child would need a separate petition for a CR-2 visa.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I have to agree with the previous poster.  I would hope for the best but prepare for a denial.
The CO will want to know when the child is due in order to figure out when it was conceived and if you were with her then. So of course she needs to
answer all questions truthfully. Yes, she needs to fully disclose everything, what if they request a DNA test if she doesn't and they assume it's yours ?
Did she file a police report she can bring to the interview ?They may think she cheated and don't believe the assault happened.
You definitely should be there for the interview in case they have questions for you.
The trust issue is huge and not to tell you as soon as it happened is a red flag.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.