Mzlin35

Will one visit be enough??? 😣

43 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, afrocraft said:

I think my suggestion -- that applicants from all countries should focus on evaluating whether they will meet the reasonable-person, preponderance-of-the-evidence standard -- is far more useful than name-shaming specific countries. After all, US immigration law requires all adjudicating officers to presume all marriage-based petitions have fraudulent intent, doesn't it?

The name-shaming has negative consequences for applicants. Rather than compile thoughtful, high-quality applications (that clarify specific intent, that present corroborating evidence, and that avoid self-incrimination), nervous applicants default to mindless data dumping (one Nigerian once told me you need 200 pictures to be successful, but I only presented 12 well chosen ones), which often works against them (assume everything you present can and will be used against you). 

I wouldn't consider alerting somebody to the difficult path is name shaming. Every case should be well thought out regardless of country, but the real fact is that it does matter more in certain cases.

The INA does not require a presumption of fraudulent intent for marriage-based petitions. It requires the applicant to show sufficient evidence that the marriage is bona fide. These are different standards. A presumption is more difficult to overcome. For an example of such a distinction actually being a difference, see the AFM regarding petitioning a spouse within 5 years of obtaining LPR status through another spouse.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
5 hours ago, afrocraft said:

I think my suggestion -- that applicants from all countries should focus on evaluating whether they will meet the reasonable-person, preponderance-of-the-evidence standard -- is far more useful than name-shaming specific countries. After all, US immigration law requires all adjudicating officers to presume all marriage-based petitions have fraudulent intent, doesn't it?

The name-shaming has negative consequences for applicants. Rather than compile thoughtful, high-quality applications (that clarify specific intent, that present corroborating evidence, and that avoid self-incrimination), nervous applicants default to mindless data dumping (one Nigerian once told me you need 200 pictures to be successful, but I only presented 12 well chosen ones), which often works against them (assume everything you present can and will be used against you). 

This ^^^^^^Although we know Nigeria is one of the high fraud countries, must it be mention over and over again...There are other high fraud countries and I've never seen them mentioned over and over as much as Nigeria have been..Yes, those are facts, but I also feel it will deter the OP or anyone else from wanting to move forward with the process, but at the same I know you all are letting OP know what to expect and how to prepare herself being that she will be dealing with a very difficult embassy such as myself..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think anyone is intending to upset the op.  Far from it.  My husband is from a high fraud country.  People explained that to me in the beginning and I appreciated it.  They gave me tips on how to handle this process with the best chances of success.  And it worked.  He was approved and we have been married almost five years.  He might not be here with my now if I had not listened to people on this board.  So I didn't mind hearing all of this.  I needed to hear it.  I needed to know what Casablanca needed in order to approve.  So don't get feelings hurt.  Just take it as good advice.  That is my opinion. 

On 10/16/2017 at 10:21 AM, Oliversmom said:

I don't think anyone is intending to upset the op.  Far from it.  My husband is from a high fraud country.  People explained that to me in the beginning and I appreciated it.  They gave me tips on how to handle this process with the best chances of success.  And it worked.  He was approved and we have been married almost five years.  He might not be here with my now if I had not listened to people on this board.  So I didn't mind hearing all of this.  I needed to hear it.  I needed to know what Casablanca needed in order to approve.  So don't get feelings hurt.  Just take it as good advice.  That is my opinion. 

This is my last comment on this matter, as OP has been duly advised. I'm glad things worked out for you, but the fraud thing is still terrible advice. The reason many people get denied for visas from Nigeria (OP's country) isn't because of "fraud" per se; it's because they fail to show that it's more likely than not that they qualify for the visa. 

For marriage-based petitions in particular, many people don't realize that they actually have a strong hand, assuming no major issues like a criminal record, past attempts to cheat on visa applications, and highly unlikely stories (never met, very wide age gaps, etc.). The visa is based on your romantic relationship with a US citizen/resident, and the telling of that intensely private story -- how you met, how you've grown closer, what your future plans are -- is, by definition, within your control. In other words, you define the key parameters by which your application is assessed; you present evidence to make that story more credible; and you decide what to exclude that could complicate your story. 

It's like you were handed a blank canvas as well as paint and paintbrushes, and told to paint your best rendition of a family portrait. So paint away, Picasso, but be careful not to leave blots behind. They can and will be used against you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it is beneficial for people to understand they are petitioning from a high fraud country. why? bc the USC should not be used and abused!

their are websites on this, (love rats) and many people do seek western men/women to marry!  as a USC you need to be aware of this and visit a few times, meet the parents and meet the family.. cover your basis, bc at the end of the day the USC is the one getting screwed over!

no offense, if you are a USC and you have a great job and can offer a foreigner a great life, then more then likely it is going to work out.  but i have seen situations where the USC is unemployed, needs a sponsor and is 40 years older then the foreigner.  not everyone is about the 'american dream' but people want to be comfortable and know that they have a good life. reflect back on your life and think, besides a greencard what can i offer this person? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 hours ago, afrocraft said:

This is my last comment on this matter, as OP has been duly advised. I'm glad things worked out for you, but the fraud thing is still terrible advice. The reason many people get denied for visas from Nigeria (OP's country) isn't because of "fraud" per se; it's because they fail to show that it's more likely than not that they qualify for the visa. 

For marriage-based petitions in particular, many people don't realize that they actually have a strong hand, assuming no major issues like a criminal record, past attempts to cheat on visa applications, and highly unlikely stories (never met, very wide age gaps, etc.). The visa is based on your romantic relationship with a US citizen/resident, and the telling of that intensely private story -- how you met, how you've grown closer, what your future plans are -- is, by definition, within your control. In other words, you define the key parameters by which your application is assessed; you present evidence to make that story more credible; and you decide what to exclude that could complicate your story. 

It's like you were handed a blank canvas as well as paint and paintbrushes, and told to paint your best rendition of a family portrait. So paint away, Picasso, but be careful not to leave blots behind. They can and will be used against you.

Why are you quoting me and talking about "this fraud things is terrible advice".  When did I say something about fraud? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Oliversmom said:

Why are you quoting me and talking about "this fraud things is terrible advice".  When did I say something about fraud? 

ha exactly! ugh . you said a common sense comment and got attacked! super unfair. As a moroccan petitioner i thought you would have credibility.  ughh:/ people do not want to hear it. 

7 hours ago, caliliving said:

I think it is beneficial for people to understand they are petitioning from a high fraud country. why? bc the USC should not be used and abused!

their are websites on this, (love rats) and many people do seek western men/women to marry!  as a USC you need to be aware of this and visit a few times, meet the parents and meet the family.. cover your basis, bc at the end of the day the USC is the one getting screwed over!

I'm not even sure where to begin. You took this to another place. Maybe we understand differently the fraud issue when it comes to marriage-based applications.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Switzerland
Timeline

I went to Ghana for about 18 days,  Just recvd Noa2 Jan 2 so I am planning to go to Nigeria this time to meet the family... for a week before the interview.. his family is spread out in many places..

Edited by Adamma Jerome

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
23 hours ago, Adamma Jerome said:

I went to Ghana for about 18 days,  Just recvd Noa2 Jan 2 so I am planning to go to Nigeria this time to meet the family... for a week before the interview.. his family is spread out in many places..

Have fun...Nigeria is my home away from home...Love it! As for all the other rubbish in regards to fraud, please don't let that deter you from moving forward with your petition...We deal with fraud everyday, right here in our own backyard, but anyways wishing you well on your journey and interview...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 1/9/2018 at 9:26 PM, Adamma Jerome said:

Awesome! Good luck with everything. We decided to get married then file so I will be lying out next Friday to Nigeria. Please keep me updated on your progress! 

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.