RaptureSongbird

Interesting Information to Share

26 posts in this topic

Hmm...a few interesting points.

• The required interview thing may be just your district? I know they will now do interviews for most employment-based green cards, but doing it for all/most K-1 applicants just seems like an even bigger waste of (very limited) resources. I haven't seen any official word on this, but I hope it's not the case for all offices.
  • Five months for an EAD now and going forward? That's not in line with their own stated goals, and they'll likely just see a lot more expedites. =.=
  • SSA reps never know what they're talking about. K-1 visa holders with a current I-94/admission stamp can get an SSN fine. They cannot get an SSN from 76 days after entry (90 days - 14 days) onwards until they get an EAD.
    • Just yesterday, my now-wife tried to get her card updated with her married name, but they couldn't "until we contacted DHS to update the name in their system". I asked her what she meant exactly, what we need to do, etc. and she didn't know other than we needed to change the name with DHS first. I asked her what documentation she needed to see from DHS to accept the new name and she didn't know. I'm 99% sure she means we need a green card or EAD in the new name (there is no form or means to just update your name with DHS), but it's scary that she didn't even know what she needed to see from DHS to verify the new name. smh

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

SSA rep was certainly wrong on the K-1 needing an EAD. That's been discussed to death here. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

The required interview thing may be just your district? I know they will now do interviews for most employment-based green cards, but doing it for all/most K-1 applicants just seems like an even bigger waste of (very limited) resources. I haven't seen any official word on this, but I hope it's not the case for all offices.

It won't be a "district" level decision. It will be for everyone. 

Yes, it is going to be a mess and probably a way to delay everything.

I think this means people deciding right now between doing a K1 or a spousal visa, are better off doing the spousal visa. K1 EAD will take for ever and then the interview will take for ever too. Unless your future partner is going to be a stay at home partner, doing a K1 is going to be a pain.

Edited by Coco8

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@RaptureSongbird thank you for taking the time to share this information with us all :) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

I'm hoping they change their minds about the interview.  When I was speaking with the liaison I said to her something like "so, we'll be going through AOS and if we have an interview" at which point she stopped me, looked me in the eyes and said "you will have an interview" and that's when she mentioned the October 1st date for that to start with no more waivers.  The USCIS officer then confirmed this separately and mentioned about AOS taking longer because of this change.  I had made both of them aware I was K1 so it sounds like it's coming but it's possible maybe they understood incorrectly.

I think the EAD comment about now and going forward was hopefully only temporary.  I mentioned to them that it used to be 2-3 months and they agreed to this.  I think they are seeing the growing backlog and were trying to set realistic expectations for me.  It's possible they may start to work through the backlog faster to get the average EAD time back down but I think for the foreseeable future we should all expect a longer wait on EAD.  Also, that's just the "average" they said which means some will be shorter and some will be longer.  I just hope they can get that time frame down sooner rather than later.

K1 Condensed Timeline:

02/27/17 - I-129F sent; 03/10/17 - NOA1 hard copy received; 06/15/17 - NOA2 hard copy received; 07/16/17 - NVC processing completed; 08/24/17 - Interview (Approved); 09/04/17 - Visa in Hand; 10/26/17 - POE; 12/20/17 - Marriage

AOS Condensed Timeline:

02/06/18 - I-485 sent; 02/20/18 - NOA1 hard copy received; 03/09/18 - Biometrics Completed; 04/21/18 - Interview Appointment Letter Received; 05/14/18 - Interview; 06/08/18 - Approved/Card in Production; 06/16/18 - GC Received

RoC Condensed Timeline:

3/10/20 - I-751 sent; 3/20/20 - NOA received - LIN; 3/10/21 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Reused; 4/05/21 - New Card is Being Produced

N400

03/25/21 - Application filed online; 01/15/22 - Interview Scheduled Notification;  02/22/22 - Interview; 02/22/22 - Interview Passed and Same Day Oath Ceremony.  DONE!!!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
36 minutes ago, RaptureSongbird said:

I'm hoping they change their minds about the interview.  When I was speaking with the liaison I said to her something like "so, we'll be going through AOS and if we have an interview" at which point she stopped me, looked me in the eyes and said "you will have an interview" and that's when she mentioned the October 1st date for that to start with no more waivers.  The USCIS officer then confirmed this separately and mentioned about AOS taking longer because of this change.  I had made both of them aware I was K1 so it sounds like it's coming but it's possible maybe they understood incorrectly.

I think the EAD comment about now and going forward was hopefully only temporary.  I mentioned to them that it used to be 2-3 months and they agreed to this.  I think they are seeing the growing backlog and were trying to set realistic expectations for me.  It's possible they may start to work through the backlog faster to get the average EAD time back down but I think for the foreseeable future we should all expect a longer wait on EAD.  Also, that's just the "average" they said which means some will be shorter and some will be longer.  I just hope they can get that time frame down sooner rather than later.

Did they mean a longer wait time for people currently waiting on their EAD?

My 90 days will be around October 11th, so would i expect a 5 month wait or a 90 day wait?

AOS from Visa Waiver:                                                                                                                        

04/01/16....Met online playing Dota 2 

01/20/17....POE Chicago (Visa Waiver - Visitor)

06/27/17....Marriage at courthouse, IL 

07/11/17....AOS mailed 1.45pm  - I-130, I-130a, I-131, I-485, I-765, I-864 X2 (for wife and joint sponsor) - Day 0

07/12/17....AOS Packet arrived at Chicago Lockbox - Day 1

07/19/17....NOA 1 Email/Texts received 11.23pm - Day 8

07/22/17....NOA 1 physical copies arrived  - Day 11

10/17/17....We Have Ordered your new card (EAD)   - Day 98

10/19/17....Card Mailed! (EAD) - Day 100

01/12/18....Scheduled For Interview (EAD) - Day 185

02/13/18....Interviewed and Approved for 2 Year GC! :jest:   - Day 217

02/14/18....We have Ordered your new card (2 Year GC)!  - Day 218

02/15/18....Card Mailed (2 Year GC)!  - Day 219

Was a stressful journey full of ups and downs, cya in 2020 VJ. I'll be back when it's time to begin the dreaded I-751. Biggest advice - make sure you have a TON of evidence, be completely honest and you'll be fine. Good luck everyone! =)

31 minutes ago, venom123 said:

Did they mean a longer wait time for people currently waiting on their EAD?

My 90 days will be around October 11th, so would i expect a 5 month wait or a 90 day wait?

As of January this year USCIS was no longer working on a 90 day timeframe for EAD

I filed for AOS in January this year and received my EAD approval on day 106. When inquiring about the status of their EAD‚ people are being referred to the USCIS processing times to indicate whether or not they are within normal processing times. You are considered outside of normal processing time IF your priority date is prior to the date last published on the bulletin

Current processing times are

I-765 Application for Employment Authorization Based on a pending I-485 adjustment application [(c)(9)] April 1, 2017

You can view all processing times here. To view the processing times for EAD‚ select the option for National Benefits Center (also known as MSC)

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

That's a big mess if this is true. The CR-1/IR-1 will be miles better than the K-1 if this all ends up being true. 

What I wonder though is if everyone is affected about the mandatory interview, or just those filing on or after October 1st. I'm waiting to hear back and it's almost been 7 months. Seems like I'm in line for an interview waiver too. 

18 hours ago, RaptureSongbird said:

• As of October 1st there will no longer be any interview waivers for AOS.  This was confirmed to me by both the USCIS officer and the congressional liaison in separate conversations.  The USCIS officer said to expect AOS to start to take even longer because they are sending everyone for an interview, including K1, from now on, no more waivers.  Also, as of right now, there is no plan of increasing staff to help with the increased number of interviews at least in my district.

thanks for information. 

Have you had a chance to ask if interviewing officers in I-485 based on Marriage can also do interview for those applicants based on employment?

If not, I only find a slight hint that it seems to sound that the interviewing officers are gonna do both marriage and employment interviews, meaning that the K-1, spouse married to USC are also gonna have to compete for interview slot availiability against employment based applicants, which will create big backlog. 

Also, that may even affect N-400 citizenship interviews IF USCIS alloted interviewing officers in I-485 do the N-400 interviews. 

In other words, the same number of USCIS officers is there now, but because all employment based applications are gonna have interviews, the demand of interviews will skyrockets, which will both hurt N-400 and other AOS (based on marriage to USC) processing timeline. 

And I see you live in IL. Did you go to Chicago presentation? How do you know they hold presentation? because I might be interested in going to the seminar and ask those questions to USCIS. 

9 minutes ago, xillini said:

thanks for information. 

Have you had a chance to ask if interviewing officers in I-485 based on Marriage can also do interview for those applicants based on employment?

If not, I only find a slight hint that it seems to sound that the interviewing officers are gonna do both marriage and employment interviews, meaning that the K-1, spouse married to USC are also gonna have to compete for interview slot availiability against employment based applicants, which will create big backlog. 

Also, that may even affect N-400 citizenship interviews IF USCIS alloted interviewing officers in I-485 do the N-400 interviews. 

In other words, the same number of USCIS officers is there now, but because all employment based applications are gonna have interviews, the demand of interviews will skyrockets, which will both hurt N-400 and other AOS (based on marriage to USC) processing timeline. 

And I see you live in IL. Did you go to Chicago presentation? How do you know they hold presentation? because I might be interested in going to the seminar and ask those questions to USCIS. 

Sorry, I didn't think to ask that question, I was more focused on the next steps of our process and finding out more information related to that.

I found out about the presentation due to a YMCA Welcome Week that was planned here.  They are doing events over the next week about being an inclusive community and holding informational sessions about immigration and the lives of immigrants.  The presentation was pretty good and included much of the same information I've found online or on the forums here.  It was nice, though, to speak with someone who had sat on the other side of the desk in these cases, to hear her stories, and to see what she was looking for during the interviews for AOS and Naturalization.  The bit of advice that she gave over and over again was to only answer the question that is asked and I believe that she stated this to help keep the interviews concise but to also avoid any "slippery slope scenarios" as she put it that would make the interviewer suspicious.  She also stated over and over again the importance of telling the truth, obviously, and that things we worry about as red flags before the interview really might not be that big of a deal to them as long as their is evidence and an explanation.

I was able to get the email address she checks for people who attend these events and have additional questions.  I will email her and see if she knows of any other similar events coming up in Illinois and pass them along if you'd like.

K1 Condensed Timeline:

02/27/17 - I-129F sent; 03/10/17 - NOA1 hard copy received; 06/15/17 - NOA2 hard copy received; 07/16/17 - NVC processing completed; 08/24/17 - Interview (Approved); 09/04/17 - Visa in Hand; 10/26/17 - POE; 12/20/17 - Marriage

AOS Condensed Timeline:

02/06/18 - I-485 sent; 02/20/18 - NOA1 hard copy received; 03/09/18 - Biometrics Completed; 04/21/18 - Interview Appointment Letter Received; 05/14/18 - Interview; 06/08/18 - Approved/Card in Production; 06/16/18 - GC Received

RoC Condensed Timeline:

3/10/20 - I-751 sent; 3/20/20 - NOA received - LIN; 3/10/21 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Reused; 4/05/21 - New Card is Being Produced

N400

03/25/21 - Application filed online; 01/15/22 - Interview Scheduled Notification;  02/22/22 - Interview; 02/22/22 - Interview Passed and Same Day Oath Ceremony.  DONE!!!

18 hours ago, geowrian said:
  • SSA reps never know what they're talking about. K-1 visa holders with a current I-94/admission stamp can get an SSN fine. They cannot get an SSN from 76 days after entry (90 days - 14 days) onwards until they get an EAD.
    • Just yesterday, my now-wife tried to get her card updated with her married name, but they couldn't "until we contacted DHS to update the name in their system". I asked her what she meant exactly, what we need to do, etc. and she didn't know other than we needed to change the name with DHS first. I asked her what documentation she needed to see from DHS to accept the new name and she didn't know. I'm 99% sure she means we need a green card or EAD in the new name (there is no form or means to just update your name with DHS), but it's scary that she didn't even know what she needed to see from DHS to verify the new name. smh

It was interesting yesterday to watch the interactions between SSA and USCIS during the presentation.  There was a long discussion during the presentation between SSA and USCIS about some of the problems that happen with Naturalization, names on social security cards, and names on the naturalization certificate which showed some of the cracks in the system.  In some ways I feel bad for the SSA because it felt like they are not kept as up to date in these processes/decisions and that information sharing isn't always great between the departments.  It seemed like the SSA representatives aren't always given all of the training they need and aren't kept up to date or as current as USCIS.  I think that is where some of the confusion comes, especially with K-1 applicants, in regards to SSN, name changes, proper processes and procedures, etc.

K1 Condensed Timeline:

AOS Condensed Timeline:

RoC Condensed Timeline:

N400

15 hours ago, TL2016 said:

That's a big mess if this is true. The CR-1/IR-1 will be miles better than the K-1 if this all ends up being true. 

What I wonder though is if everyone is affected about the mandatory interview, or just those filing on or after October 1st. I'm waiting to hear back and it's almost been 7 months. Seems like I'm in line for an interview waiver too. 

Agreed, it did sound like something that is going to lead to a big mess/delays.  I think it might be a way to push more people to strongly consider the CR-1/IR-1 route as long as that process doesn't start to see a slow down too.

My assumption, based on how it was worded yesterday, was that the October 1st date was for those who were filing after October 1st, not those already in process.  I could be wrong about that but that was the sense that I got in the conversation I had.

K1 Condensed Timeline:

AOS Condensed Timeline:

RoC Condensed Timeline:

N400

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I would bet that they can not approve anyone after October first without an interview. otherwise they would have to start processing the applications seperately and not just change how all of them are processed.

it would also be a nation wide change since anything else leaves them open to lawsuits for treating one region different from the others. 

1 hour ago, RaptureSongbird said:

The bit of advice that she gave over and over again was to only answer the question that is asked and I believe that she stated this to help keep the interviews concise but to also avoid any "slippery slope scenarios" as she put it that would make the interviewer suspicious.  She also stated over and over again the importance of telling the truth, obviously, and that things we worry about as red flags before the interview really might not be that big of a deal to them as long as their is evidence and an explanation.

I was able to get the email address she checks for people who attend these events and have additional questions.  I will email her and see if she knows of any other similar events coming up in Illinois and pass them along if you'd like.

Yes, in fact, I already did my interveiw at Chicago and got the GC card on hand 2 monts ago, so technicaly, I dont have to be concerned too much about it. 

But thanks for the advice and sharing that with us here! I did AOS with some chit-chat actually, and it worked great. I guess it depends on individuals. Fortunately, my officer had good sense of humors and I and my spouse broke the ice. 

Anyway, I was getting curious how that backlog starts to affect me for I-751 later, which already takes around an year after filing. (USCIS timeline says 14 months actually for I-751). So, as the USCIS officers stated it would take 8 months ish now, and expectedly it will take even longer, then it is already 22 months (14 months of I-751 + 8 months of AOS), meaning that it becomes time-saving decision to file AOS after an year of marriage to avoid I-751 processing time, taking into account of opportunity costs. 

Therefore, after October, if processing time starts to be delayed, more couples would like to file AOS after an year of marriages, assuming that it would take an year with expectation that when they have AOS in an year later, they can get 10 years GC. 
If the duration of marriage is more than 2 years, by laws, USCIS is required to grant 10 years GC, not conditional GC. 

But, on the mean time, I am afraid to potentially observe that the delayed timeline may encourage more fradulent marriage when couples start to file AOS making sure their AOS case timeline is aimed for 2 years with expectation of 10 years GC and USCIS fails to double-check the marriage after 2 years of GC due to delayed processing timeline. 

Well, I think it is only fair to say Trump administration may have good intent to protect American workers from foreign aliens by "extreme vetting" and going through required interviews, but the consequence could be greater than what the administrations may not think of such as this delayed processing timeline. (It is called unintended consequence like you dont mean it to hurt someone, but eventually you ended up with hurting someone (i.e: car accident).  Just my thought

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.