Renee Xie

K1, C1/D and Green Card, HELP!

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1. After I enter the states with k1 and get married, can I still keep my C1/D?

Hi, my name is Renee,

I'm a flight attendant from Taiwan with C1/D and B1/B2 visa.

I'm about to get my k1 in a couple days, but I don't intend to move to the US until March, 2018.
I have 6 months left on my work contract and I intended to use this time to save money while waiting for my green card.

(I quit before Feb,2018,  I'd have to pay my company certain fee, which I don't intend to do.)
My fiancé's plan and I's plan was for me to finish my contract, and hopefully by the time my contract's up, I'll have my green card and be able to move to the US and find have legal identity to look for a job right away.

However, I was informed today that once I enter the states with k1, my C1/D and B1/B2 visa will be canceled right away, 

and that it's extra steps for me if I want to leave the US after I get married or if I want to re-enter before I get my green card.

I don't intend to move to the US until March, 2018. Before that, I always thought I could just keep the C1/D, keep flying in and out on work trip to visit my fiancé as I wait for my green card. 

I fly to NY 2-3 times a month to visit my fiancé, 

but right now it seems like once I enter the states with k1, I'll have to give up my C1/D, B1/B2. 

It also means if I don't quit and just move to the states right after I get married, I won't be able to do work trips to the US until I get my green card?

I'm kind of lost, any sort of insight would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Edited by Renee Xie

Yes, typically they cancel the other NIVs when they issue a K-1. Either way, K-1 is single-use....once you enter on it, you need to marry and file for AOS (+EAD & AP). If you leave the US before getting the green card or AP, AOS will be abandoned.

11 minutes ago, Renee Xie said:

My fiancé's plan and I's plan was for me to finish my contract, and hopefully by the time my contract's up, I'll have my green card and be able to move to the US and find have legal identity to look for a job right away.

That's not the process for a K-1 visa. A K-1 does not grant a green card upon entry...you need to do AOS first. What you described is a CR-1/IR-1 visa, which is for spouses. That allows you to travel and work right away...a K-1 does not.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Hi, EG&XY 
Thank you very much for your reply!
I know I have to enter the US to get married, 
the plan was for me to arrange around a month of vacation or longer,

enter the US with k1, get married, apply for green card, fly back home and keep working, 

and while I wait for the green card I'd still be able to take work trips to the US to see my fiancé using C1/D until I get my green card. 

I didn't intend to move there nor quit my job until the coming March.. but I really didnt know about the canceling of my C1/D. I only realized it today that this might be the reality.:(

17 minutes ago, Renee Xie said:

1. After I enter the states with k1 and get married, can I still keep my C1/D?

Hi, my name is Renee,

I'm a flight attendant from Taiwan with C1/D and B1/B2 visa.

I'm about to get my k1 in a couple days, but I don't intend to move to the US until March, 2018.
I have 6 months left on my work contract and I intended to use this time to save money while waiting for my green card.

(I quit before Feb,2018,  I'd have to pay my company certain fee, which I don't intend to do.)

However, I was informed today that once I enter the states with k1, my C1/D and B1/B2 visa will be canceled right away, 

and that it's extra steps for me if I want to leave the US after I get married or if I want to re-enter before I get my green card.

I don't intend to move to the US until March, 2018. Before that, I always thought I could just keep the C1/D, keep flying in and out on work trip to visit my fiancé as I wait for my green card. 

I fly to NY 2-3 times a month to visit my fiancé, 

but right now it seems like once I enter the states with k1, I'll have to give up my C1/D, B1/B2. 

It also means if I don't quit and just move to the states right after I get married, I won't be able to do work trips to the US until I get my green card?

I'm kind of lost, any sort of insight would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

You need to do some reasearch on the K1 visa

Your knowledge on it is very wobbly! 

Once your K1 visa is approved and in hand you have 90 days to get married in the USA. You can not leave (unless you want to cancel visa) Getting married does not issue you a green card. You need to file more paper work :( 

Im still learning everything myself! It's very complicated isn't it???

Good Luck with everything!!!

9 minutes ago, Renee Xie said:

the plan was for me to arrange around a month of vacation or longer,

enter the US with k1, get married, apply for green card, fly back home and keep working, 

and while I wait for the green card I'd still be able to take work trips to the US to see my fiancé using C1/D until I get my green card.

I didn't intend to move there nor quit my job until the coming March.. but I really didnt know about the canceling of my C1/D. I only realized it today that this might be the reality.:(

Even if they didn't cancel your C1/D, your plan wouldn't work. If you leave the US before AOS is approved and without an approved AP, your AOS application will be deemed abandoned. There is a very small handful of exceptions for some visas, but tourist and crew visas are not part of that. Edit: Whoops...that's not even relevant here. Your entry would be on a K-1 (which also is not in those exceptions).

8 minutes ago, Lsthorpe1 said:

You can not leave (unless you want to cancel visa)

The visa is canceled at POE as it is single-use.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

If your K-1 visa application has been approved and you're getting your visa in hand within the next few days, your plan to enter the US with the K-1 in March 2018 will not work. Depending on how long ago you got your K-1 medical done, your K-1 is more likely to expire way before March 2018. Also, the next time you enter the US, you'd be admitted under the K-1 and you cannot choose to use your B and C visas.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Timeline

geowrian 
Thank you for your response! I appreciate it.

I understand K1 doesnt grant green card upon entry, which is why I thought the 6 months left on my contract would suffice for me to wait for the granting of green card, and meanwhile I'd still be able to fly in and out to visit my fiancé until I get it. But I guess the reality is they do cancel other visas.. which is something that I never came across:(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Renee Xie said:

geowrian 
Thank you for your response! I appreciate it.

I understand K1 doesnt grant green card upon entry, which is why I thought the 6 months left on my contract would suffice for me to wait for the granting of green card, and meanwhile I'd still be able to fly in and out to visit my fiancé until I get it. But I guess the reality is they do cancel other visas.. which is something that I never came across:(

The part that you still don't understand is that once you enter on the k-1 you can not leave until you have ap (which will take 3-4 months after you file for aos), even if they didn't cancel the other visas.

Also, you can not leagally work during that time, until you have the ead (also 3-4 months after you file for aos).

This is why you plan won't work. It has nothing to do with cancelling of your other visas.

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Timeline

KULtoATL 

Thank you for your reply! 

I didn't intend to enter with k1 until March 2018, 

I intended to enter with k1 within the next couple of months, get married, file for green card and then fly back and keep flying in and out with my job(C1/D) till my contract is up. March 2018 was the time that I thought I'd be granted with green card, and I'd quit and use that green card to enter the states. 

Once you enter on the K1 visa, you can't just leave because you have work in some other country...

This is how it looks like:

You arrive on the K1 visa.

You have 90 days to get married.

You get married.

You apply for AoS (including work and travel permit).

You cannot leave US, until you either receive your green card (about 12 - 14 months wait) or travel permit. Which is not really for going to other country to work. It's meant for short travels or emergencies.

Your other visas will be canceled when you receive your K1. You will have 6 months to enter US, from the moment your K1 medical exam.

If you just "fly back" after you file for your green card, USCIS will consider your AoS abandoned and you'll have to go through another process to immigrate to the US. Spouse visa. It will take about a year to receive that.

Honestly? You're either committed to move to the US, or you're not. Maybe just wait until you're ready.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

1 minute ago, Renee Xie said:

KULtoATL 

Thank you for your reply! 

I didn't intend to enter with k1 until March 2018, 

I intended to enter with k1 within the next couple of months, get married, file for green card and then fly back and keep flying in and out with my job(C1/D) till my contract is up. March 2018 was the time that I thought I'd be granted with green card, and I'd quit and use that green card to enter the states. 

This makes 0 sense and you can't do that. You leave after you file for the green card, the process will be canceled and considered abandoned. You will not get any green card that way.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline

Lsthorpe1

Thank you very much for your response!

I know that getting married doesnt grant me the green card, 

that's why I planned to arrange a month off to enter with k1, and take all the steps needed to file for green card, and then leave, come back in and out with C1/D until I get my green card. 

I just never came across the fact that they'd cancel my C1/D once I enter with k1... 

@Renee Xie you really need to learn the process. To cut to the chase, you'll likely have to compensate your company because your timeline and plan simply will not work out.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

8 minutes ago, Renee Xie said:

I just never came across the fact that they'd cancel my C1/D once I enter with k1... 

I think you're still not getting it. Even if they somehow didn't cancel your C1/D, your plan wouldn't work. You cannot leave the US after filing for AOS until it is either 1) approved, or 2) you get AP approved (~3-4 months). Doing so abandons the AOS application and you would have to start over (via a spousal visa).

If being able to travel abroad (or work) right away was important, you should have done a spousal visa instead. But that's in the past now...you will need to enter & wait out AP at this point. Or get married and file for a spousal visa.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.