Kevin86

Where to start

33 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I was referred to this site from a friend that has a coworker that has gone through this site and he said it worked out great for him. I met with a lawyer and the fees were a lot of money but not outrages I don't think. My question is where do I start? Forms applications etc. a lot of advice on the internet is hit or miss and I don't know where to start. I was scared to look on this website because I have heard a lot of negative things about trying to get my lady friend over to the US. But after reading some topics on here I do not think it is impossible. 

A little information about my journey. 

I was asked to go to Thailand in November 2016 for jet ski event and I have never been out of the country (US). The first night out I met Benjawan. I was there for 10 days and she stayed with me every night. After I left we stayed connected through Line. We video chatted whenever we were awake. I promised that I would come back for my birthday and her birthday which were in June. I could not wait that long so I went back in March for 9 days. As the days went by our relationship was stronger and stronger. When I went in June I went for 2 weeks. Went to her home met her family. What a great experience that was. I cried leaving because I did not want to leave her family. I am hoping to plan a trip again this November, depending on if my work will let me take time off again. Since where she was working is not ideal for anyone and she has a child that lived with her family and she lived where she worked I decided that I did not like or want her to work there anymore so she is now back home with her child. I pay for her daughters school. She goes to school to learn English Chinese Korean and Thai. I don't mind putting up the money for it because it is good for her future. She farms and makes food to sell at markets. Now that she is home what a difference in our relationship. She smiles smiles smiles all the time now. 

I am am ready to take a big step and try to get her to come here (US). I would like her to come and check it out a couple times to make sure it is what she wants too. I love her I really do and there was a reason why I went to Thailand. 

Any advice would really be appreciated. Please ask any questions to better help my situation. 

Thank you

Filed: Timeline

A "lady friend" does not qualify for a family visa. You need to be engaged to use the K visa or married to use the CR visa. She could attempt to get a tourist visa however it seems unlikely she would be approved based on what you stated.

Check out the guides. (located at top of page) to see whats involved with each path.

2 minutes ago, Damara said:

A "lady friend" does not qualify for a family visa. You need to be engaged to use the K visa or married to use the CR visa. She could attempt to get a tourist visa however it seems unlikely she would be approved based on what you stated.

Check out the guides. (located at top of page) to see whats involved with each path.

By lady friend I mean girlfriend. I am planning on marrying her the next time I go depending on the feedback and advice I get here. I guess I used lady friend loosely and I should've said girlfriend soon to be engaged. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Kevin86 said:

By lady friend I mean girlfriend. I am planning on marrying her the next time I go depending on the feedback and advice I get here. I guess I used lady friend loosely and I should've said girlfriend soon to be engaged. 

Doesn't matter, there is no such thing as a "girlfriend"  or an "almost engaged" visa. Read the guides at the top of the page.

1 minute ago, mimolicious said:

Doesn't matter, there is no such thing as a "girlfriend"  or an "almost engaged" visa. Read the guides at the top of the page.

Ok so what I am asking is do I marry her and then start the process? I have heard so many different things I am trying to get information from people that have experienced it first hand. 

2 minutes ago, JFH said:

You are going to base your decision about whether or not to marry her on what strangers on a forum say? That sounds odd. If you are ready for marriage, get married. If not, then don't.

In terms of immigration you gave two options - a fiancé visa (whereby you MUST get married within 90 days of her arrival here with said visa) or spousal visa (if you get married first then file the petition for her visa). Read through the guides here for the pros and cons of each. Neither is perfect. 

You will also need to research the requirements for bringing the child here - in most cases the permission of the other birth parent is required. Or is she planning to leave the child behind?

I do have concerns with the amount of money you are sending to someone you have known less than a year and seen only twice. She survived before you were on the scene so she doesn't need your money now that you are in the picture. 

Also, you are still in the blissful honeymoon phase. We've all been there and it's great. But the reality of living here as an immigrant, especially for someone from a completely different background, can be very stressful and difficult. Now more than ever. I've had struggles and I'm British and had visited over 40 times before I moved here. Be prepared for so,every tough times. Have a read through the more ugly threads here to see what I mean. It's not all rainbows and unicorns. 

I am not looking at advice if I should marry her or not from strangers I am asking when would be best or is there a timeline to when I marry her there and then I have to start the process. I have read and read and read stories online. I know what is out there and I am keeping on my toes about everything. She I planning on bringing her child with her. When I spoke to the lawyer he informed me about that the other birth parent would have to be involved. I'm not concerned about the money I send her because I really would not do if I wasn't 100% comfortable doing it. I know her coming here would be a shock but that's why I would like her to come and visit to make sure she wants to. I would really like it to be up to her. Believe me it has not been all rainbows and unicorns. I know there will be hard and tough times to come. 

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

For her to come here and visit, to see if she likes it here and wants to move here, she could come on a tourist visa, but I have read it's difficult for a young Thai woman to get it. That does not require engagement or marriage, and you can take it slow and feel your way through it. But it's not a guaranteed approval, and chances can be improved with a job, property in her name, bank account with enough funds for her trip, a travel itinerary, or a letter of invitation from your or more people. I am no expert on a tourist visa, I went the fiance visa route, but it is an option, albeit a small chance as I said. I'm sure others will have input on the matter. 

We can do it.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Goof luck on your Visa Journey.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

11 minutes ago, Kevin86 said:

I am not looking at advice if I should marry her or not from strangers I am asking when would be best or is there a timeline to when I marry her there and then I have to start the process. I have read and read and read stories online. I know what is out there and I am keeping on my toes about everything. She I planning on bringing her child with her. When I spoke to the lawyer he informed me about that the other birth parent would have to be involved. I'm not concerned about the money I send her because I really would not do if I wasn't 100% comfortable doing it. I know her coming here would be a shock but that's why I would like her to come and visit to make sure she wants to. I would really like it to be up to her. Believe me it has not been all rainbows and unicorns. I know there will be hard and tough times to come. 

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it

The problem you have is that is almost impossible for a single gal from Thailand with an American boyfriend to get a tourist visa for the USA. It would make things a lot easier if she could visit a few times and begin to adjust to life here on her visits, get used to the weather, the food, the isolation from her language and culture. But in reality it's not going to happen. You can thank all her fellow country women who had a terrible habit of "forgetting" to go home at the end of their permitted stays on tourist visas in the past for that. 

That's what I'm getting at but I'm sure you're aware of that if you've done your research. So the only way for her to put a foot on the soil here would be to come for good with either a fiancé or spouse visa. For that reason you need to be 100% certain that you are both ready not only for marriage but for her to have to change her lifestyle completely. And her child too. 

Have you considered moving to Thailand instead? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

6 minutes ago, alexandflash said:

For her to come here and visit, to see if she likes it here and wants to move here, she could come on a tourist visa, but I have read it's difficult for a young Thai woman to get it. That does not require engagement or marriage, and you can take it slow and feel your way through it. But it's not a guaranteed approval, and chances can be improved with a job, property in her name, bank account with enough funds for her trip, a travel itinerary, or a letter of invitation from your or more people. I am no expert on a tourist visa, I went the fiance visa route, but it is an option, albeit a small chance as I said. I'm sure others will have input on the matter. 

I have read that as well. That it is very difficult for here to try to come on her own like you said. Close to impossible from that I have heard. 

Thank you for you input!

2 minutes ago, JFH said:

The problem you have is that is almost impossible for a single gal from Thailand with an American boyfriend to get a tourist visa for the USA. It would make things a lot easier if she could visit a few times and begin to adjust to life here on her visits, get used to the weather, the food, the isolation from her language and culture. But in reality it's not going to happen. You can thank all her fellow country women who had a terrible habit of "forgetting" to go home at the end of their permitted stays on tourist visas in the past for that. 

That's what I'm getting at but I'm sure you're aware of that if you've done your research. So the only way for her to put a foot on the soil here would be to come for good with either a fiancé or spouse visa. For that reason you need to be 100% certain that you are both ready not only for marriage but for her to have to change her lifestyle completely. And her child too. 

Have you considered moving to Thailand instead? 

Yes I am aware of that. Getting her to understand has taken time. I know it the honeymoon stage now but we have had some stuff to get through. I know that the honeymoon stage won't last forever. 

I have really considered it. I have no serious ties here no debt. The only thing that is holding me back is making money there. I work with my hands and I am not a it guy. So the struggle to try to find work there would be hard from what I have heard. If it was just me living there I would because I know I would be able to do something to get by. But I want her and have a family with her I would not want to put myself or her in a situation where I don't know where the next dollar was coming from. 

22 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Goof luck on your Visa Journey.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
4 hours ago, Kevin86 said:

Hello everyone. I was referred to this site from a friend that has a coworker that has gone through this site and he said it worked out great for him. I met with a lawyer and the fees were a lot of money but not outrages I don't think. My question is where do I start? Forms applications etc. a lot of advice on the internet is hit or miss and I don't know where to start. I was scared to look on this website because I have heard a lot of negative things about trying to get my lady friend over to the US. But after reading some topics on here I do not think it is impossible. 

A little information about my journey. 

I was asked to go to Thailand in November 2016 for jet ski event and I have never been out of the country (US). The first night out I met Benjawan. I was there for 10 days and she stayed with me every night. After I left we stayed connected through Line. We video chatted whenever we were awake. I promised that I would come back for my birthday and her birthday which were in June. I could not wait that long so I went back in March for 9 days. As the days went by our relationship was stronger and stronger. When I went in June I went for 2 weeks. Went to her home met her family. What a great experience that was. I cried leaving because I did not want to leave her family. I am hoping to plan a trip again this November, depending on if my work will let me take time off again. Since where she was working is not ideal for anyone and she has a child that lived with her family and she lived where she worked I decided that I did not like or want her to work there anymore so she is now back home with her child. I pay for her daughters school. She goes to school to learn English Chinese Korean and Thai. I don't mind putting up the money for it because it is good for her future. She farms and makes food to sell at markets. Now that she is home what a difference in our relationship. She smiles smiles smiles all the time now. 

I am am ready to take a big step and try to get her to come here (US). I would like her to come and check it out a couple times to make sure it is what she wants too. I love her I really do and there was a reason why I went to Thailand. 

Any advice would really be appreciated. Please ask any questions to better help my situation. 

Thank you

I really don't mean to offend and please excuse any incorrect assumptions. 

What you've shared of your story sounds so similar to lots and lots of others' Thai adventures. Regardless of which visa you may elect to try for ( i.e. Fiancée vs married) if the consulate folks suspect for a second she ever worked as a bar girl any visa will be denied. There are too many red flags in your story (e.g. Meeting the first night out, spending every night together from the start,  rescuing her from a horrible job). 

And as for a tourist visa that won't happen. Even buying property and putting it in her name and depositing a gob of money in her bank account won't demonstrate ties to ensure she'll return home. 

Good luck. 

N-400 Timeline

• 2020.03.08 -- Naturalization filing window opened
  • 2020.03.09 -- N-400 filed and feed paid online
  • 2020.03.14 -- Email/Text notifications received that biometrics appt scheduled
  • 2020.03.14 -- NOA of case receipt received via USPS
  • 2020.03.20 -- Biometrics appointment notification received via USPS
  • 2020.03.30 -- Received email notification that biometrics appt scheduled for April 2 canceled due to Covid19
  • 2020.04.02 -- Biometrics scheduled for 1:00 PM canceled due to Covid-19
  • 2020.08.07 -- Myuscis update: biometrics being reused
  • 2020.08.14 -- NOA of biometrics reuse received via USPS
  • 2020.09.30 -- E-notifications received that interview has been scheduled
  • 2020.11.05 -- N-400 interview scheduled for 12:45 PM
  • 2020.11.05 -- Citizenship approved and oath administered! 

ROC Timeline

• 2019.03.08 -- ROC 90-Day Filing Window Opened
  • 2019.03.08 -- Mailed 1-751 and G-1145 to Phoenix (via UPS)
  • 2019.03.12 -- 1-751 and G-1145 delivered to Phoenix (via UPS)
  • 2019.03.12 -- 1-751 official submission date
  • 2019.03.15 -- I-797 (NOA 1)  LIN=Nebraska Service Center
  • 2019.03.18 -- Text message notification received: file receipt confirmation || Check for application + biometrics fees processed
  • 2019.03.18 -- NOA1 received via USPS (18-month Green Card extension)
  • 2019.09.06 -- I-797C NOA Biometrics Appointment notice date
  • 2019.09.13 -- I-797C NOA Biometrics Appointment notice receive (via USPS)
  • 2019.09.20 -- Biometrics (walk in) … originally scheduled for 2019.09.26 @ 9:00 AM 
  • 2020.03.10 -- E-notification that interview appointment scheduled
  • 2020.03.16 -- Interview appt notification receive via USPS
  • 2020.04.14 -- Interview scheduled for 7:30 AM canceled due to Covid-19
  • 2020.05.22 -- App status updated "New Card Is Being Produced"  and will be mailed
  • 2020.05.22 -- App status updated "Case Approved"
  • 2020.05.26 -- I-797 NOA received via USPS Approval Notice
  • 2020.05.27 -- App status updated to "Card Was Mailed to Me"
  • 2020.05.28 -- App status updated to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service"; USPS tracking app shows expected delivery date of June 1, 2020
  • 2020.05.29 -- Permanent Green Card received via USPS Priority Mail

AOS Timeline

• 2016.12.30 -- AOS, EAD, and AP applications delivered to Chicago PO
  • 2017.01.21 -- NOA1's received via USPS for I-485 (AOS),  I-131 (AP), and I-765 (EAD)
  • 2017.02.24 -- Biometrics Appointment
  • 2017.04.20 -- AOS & EAD approved; NOA2's received via USPS on 2017.04.23
  • 2017.04.29 -- EAD & AP combo card received
  • 2017.06.06 -- AOS approved!
  • 2017.06.10 -- 2-YR Green Card received

K-1 Visa Timeline

• 2016.04.18 -- I-129F Received by USCIS
  • 2016.04.20 -- I-129F NOA1
  • 2016.06.29 -- NOA
  • 2016.08.15 -- Bangkok Embassy received our case from NVC
  • 2016.08.23 -- Packet 3 sent to Embassy in Bangkok
  • 2016.08.26 -- Packet 4 email received from Embassy
  • 2016.09.05 -- Medical exam @ 10:30 AM @ BNH
  • 2016.09.07 -- Interview @ 7:30 AM...Visa approved
  • 2016.09.09 -- Visa Received
  • 2016.10.02 -- Entered USA (POE LAX)
  • 2016.11.18...Our Wedding Day 

2 hours ago, NDB052714 said:

if the consulate folks suspect for a second she ever worked as a bar girl any visa will be denied. There are too many red flags in your story (e.g. Meeting the first night out, spending every night together from the start,  rescuing her from a horrible job). 

You took the words right out of my keyboard. I did suspect that she may have been working as a bar girl but was waiting for someone else to ask! And you're right about the whole "knight in shining armor" rescuing her from a terrible life and 'promising her a wonderful life in America' story. It's straight out of Miss Saigon. I am concerned that the OP is being played. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

38 minutes ago, JFH said:

You took the words right out of my keyboard. I did suspect that she may have been working as a bar girl but was waiting for someone else to ask! And you're right about the whole "knight in shining armor" rescuing her from a terrible life and 'promising her a wonderful life in America' story. It's straight out of Miss Saigon. I am concerned that the OP is being played. 

What is OP?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.