Penguin_ie

Trump's future immigration policies- speculation MEGATHREAD

1,208 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I do not believe most trump supporters intended on keep LPRs out. At least I would hope not. 

He can add new countries at anytime. So theoretically you could leave on vacation and he could add your country to the list while your gone. When you come back you could be denied entry. 

If you are in FB please read Nazanin Zinouri story. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

This has been known for over a year now this would happen.    This is only a temporary stoppage while they check people out further.    

If if you are from one of these nations and currently here then it's not recommended you travel until you can be checked out and cleared. 

I hope everyone dealing with with this issue finds a way to get back with their loved ones.  

So far, a whole lot of speculation. This EO doesn't seem to have been very well thought out. What's perhaps most shocking is that LPRs are adversely affected - I'm not sure that part will hold up, whether in court, or whether through further clarification.

Most of this is media speculation for now. Watch out for wording if you want to understand this better.

It's helpful for you guys if we clarify what this is and what it isn't.

- It isn't a permanent ban on Muslims.

- It is a 90 day moratorium (call it a bar) on entries from the countries mentioned, while new vetting procedures are put in place.

It originally affected all travelers with a passport from those 7 countries, except those holding dual citizenship. A federal judged ruled that those already at U.S. airports were to be allowed entry.

My guess (and sincere hope) is that further clarification or a court order will extend relief for LPRs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 hours ago, LionessDeon said:

He can add new countries at anytime. So theoretically you could leave on vacation and he could add your country to the list while your gone. When you come back you could be denied entry.

Yes, of course new countries can be added at any time.

And, it has always been the case that anyone (except citizens) of USA can be denied entry to USA regardless of the visa they hold or even holding Green Card.  Citizens of USA cannot be denied entry, but they can certainly be taken aside at POE, questioned, and turned over to appropriate law enforcement agencies for jailing and prosecution.  Those who are not USA citizens should have no reason to think that they will receive treatment better than what could happen to USA citizen.

I (and others should have also) studied this issue when first getting involved with a person from another country.

My wife came on a student visa, then stayed on a employment visa and now has 2 year green card.  I advised her from the beginning that any trip she took back to her home country involved some risk of not being let back into USA.  She and I continued to review that issue before each of her trips outside the USA.

The customs agents have always had broad authority to refuse entry to anyone regardless of their seemingly perfect visa status.  A visa only gives the authorization to appear at a POE to USA;  it does not guarantee admittance.  This is the same for virtually every country in the world.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Timeline

Kellyanne Conway said nothing will stop and the stays are irrelevant.  

Sounds like the ACLU and other leftist organizations are just using this scenario to fundraise.   

He hasnt banned anyone.   Just paused for up to 120 days.   We should not get hysterical because some groups want to profit.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, Leo7777 said:

Yes, it will hold up in court.  LPR's can be denied entry to USA.  Only USA citizens cannot be denied entry, but they can be detained, arrested and taken into custody.

Not only is it not a permanent ban on Muslims . . . it is NOT a ban on Muslims.

Do any realize that more Muslims live in Indonesia than any other country?

That is NOT what the judge ruled!

The ruling was that persons could not be immediately deported.

They could  still be held and deported later.

But, as I understand it . . . despite the hysteria . . . there were only 100-200 people detained, out of 325,000 who entered USA on Saturday . . . and all but 12 of them are now released into USA.

I (and probably many here) have been delayed in reaching my destination by several days due to weather, mechanical problems, strikes at airports, etc.  But thousands of people did not turn out to protest my delay.

Great post 

4 hours ago, Leo7777 said:

Yes, it will hold up in court.  LPR's can be denied entry to USA.  Only USA citizens cannot be denied entry, but they can be detained, arrested and taken into custody.

But, as I understand it . . . despite the hysteria . . . there were only 100-200 people detained, out of 325,000 who entered USA on Saturday . . . and all but 12 of them are now released into USA.

I (and probably many here) have been delayed in reaching my destination by several days due to weather, mechanical problems, strikes at airports, etc.  But thousands of people did not turn out to protest my delay.

Was your first world inconvenience of a flight delay directly due to official government policy? I don't think so. 

Moreover, a flight delay is not equivalent to someone being prevented from getting on a flight based on someone's nationality (despite having a valid visa or a green card).

There is a big difference why many protested the immigration bans versus almost none for your flight delay.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/donald-trump-refugees-executive-order/index.html

AND:

“Customs and Border Protection shall notify airlines that flights arriving at Logan Airport of this order and the fact that individuals on these flights will not be detained or returned based solely on the basis of the executive order,” U.S. District Judge Allison D. Burroughs said in a ruling signed by her earlier today and co-signed by U.S. Magistrate Judge Judith Gail Dein.

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline
2 minutes ago, LionessDeon said:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/donald-trump-refugees-executive-order/index.html

AND:

“Customs and Border Protection shall notify airlines that flights arriving at Logan Airport of this order and the fact that individuals on these flights will not be detained or returned based solely on the basis of the executive order,” U.S. District Judge Allison D. Burroughs said in a ruling signed by her earlier today and co-signed by U.S. Magistrate Judge Judith Gail Dein.

So this is doing exactly what it was intended to do.   Further screen people from those 7 countries at passport control.   

All the EO says is that they will face further screening at the border and in the meantime no further visas will be given out until they get a new plan in place to further screen them.    

This is is exactly why he campaigned on and exactly what Americans wanted.    

It's only stressful because of the hysteria from the media and leftist organizations looking to fundraise off this matter.   

109 people detained at the border and all but 12 have been released as of this morning.    There is absolutely nothing wrong with checking people further from questionable areas deemed by even the obama administration as shady and questionable. 

5 hours ago, Leo7777 said:

Yes because having weather delays is so totally the same as being a legal resident of this country and being dragged off your flight, detained, handcuffed, questioned, had your property confiscated, denied council, coerced to sign your green card away, and then punted out of the country for no reason whatsoever...

:huh:

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

Yes because having weather delays is so totally the same as being a legal resident of this country and being dragged off your flight, detained, handcuffed, questioned, had your property confiscated, denied council, coerced to sign your green card away, and then punted out of the country for no reason whatsoever...

:huh:

So you contend they forced people to sign away their green cards yesterday?  Where is your proof? 

6 minutes ago, FloridaMinsk said:

So you contend they forced people to sign away their green cards yesterday?  Where is your proof? 

This has been reported many times and it alarmed the collective of lawyers that desperately gathered to try and help these people. It's easy to coerce a frightened immigrant when they do not have access to legal council. They did it to LPRs, and they did it to other visa holders too. One man's elderly father refused to sign (still being denied council) and was told he would go to jail. His son, waiting for him in the Dallas airport, doesn't even know where his father is now.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

6 hours ago, Leo7777 said:

109.. according to DHS. 

Cannot compare a mechanical\weather delay to the inconvenience of those not (initially) admitted despite valid visas; some of whom were held incommunicado for a while. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.