62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My K1 visa was denied and wanted to know the best way to address it again,met my fiancé in 2013,but before then I had already applied for a B1/B2 in which I stated I was married,in 2013 I applied again for the B1/B2 and still denied, the marriage was not a legal marriage but I stated on the form married in my previous applications that was in 2013,2014 when I applied for the B1/B2.we applied in 2016 for the k1 and was approved and have my interview few days ago and was denied,CO said how was I married in 2013/2014 and was still with my fiancé of which intend to marry now,mean while it was over but since it was not binding by law didn't have documents to prove it was no,more.Another thing was,filling the form the question that says have you been married before we put no?and that is where I think the issue came from.Now my question is,should we re apply for the K1 and correct that error or get married and apply for spousal,if so how soon can we get married and then how long will it take to get approved,sorry it was long...any help will be much appreciated.

Timeline
42 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Just from what you posted I can see why you were denied. You have made it very difficult for a CO to believe if you are married or not. All of this multiple filings and putting status that aren't true are coming back to haunt you now. Plus you are working with one of the most difficult embassy.

If you continue with claiming false information you will be at risk if having a permanent ban from the US. Always tell the truth. There is no "kind of" married. Either you are or you are not. Since it is on record of you putting married on file and the CO noticed it, then filing another K1 will lead to another denial. You can get married and file a spousal visa but that does not guarantee an approval. At some point you may have to explain why you were falsifying immigration documents by claiming you were married. 

A spousal visa takes a year if the spouse is a US citizen. It takes almost 2 years if the petitioner is a permanent resident (green card holder).

Thanks for your response,I really appreciate on the other hand if reapply for the K1 and then state I was married before but divorced,the reason been that the marriage was not bonded by law,but since I have not been there at since 2014 it's still there as married whiles am not married now when I was applying for the K1,my fiancé parents really believe in tradition and it's hard for some to come down to ghana for us to have a court wedding and if there is a possibility for them coming,how soon can they come so we can have the court wedding so we can file.

10 minutes ago, Kobby said:

I was married before but divorced,the reason been that the marriage was not bonded by law,but since I have not been there at since 2014 it's still there as married whiles am not married now 

WHAT???

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
9 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

WHAT???

Can I still reapply for the K1 since am single now and put the correct information there and justify it,that was what I was trying to ask

Do you have proof that you are single like a divorce decree? You were denied because the CO believed you are married. If you can't provide evidence that you are no longer single then you will continue to get denied for a K1.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You have twice submitted a form where you signed to certify that what you wrote was true and that you were married.  Do not expect to get a visa until you can show that your marriage has been terminated in a way that satisfies the officer at the embassy.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I would suggest getting a legalized divorce, get your divorce decree then file for a CR1 spousal visa.  It takes approximately a year for the spousal visa. In the meantime, continue to collect proof of your relationship. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Another K1 is a waste of time, effort, and money.  You need to dig yourself out of the hole you have created first before you move onto another visa filing.

Remedy your married, not married situation first, then worry about working towards a CR1. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Kobby said:

My K1 visa was denied and wanted to know the best way to address it again,met my fiancé in 2013,but before then I had already applied for a B1/B2 in which I stated I was married,in 2013 I applied again for the B1/B2 and still denied, the marriage was not a legal marriage but I stated on the form married in my previous applications that was in 2013,2014 when I applied for the B1/B2.we applied in 2016 for the k1 and was approved and have my interview few days ago and was denied,CO said how was I married in 2013/2014 and was still with my fiancé of which intend to marry now,mean while it was over but since it was not binding by law didn't have documents to prove it was no,more.Another thing was,filling the form the question that says have you been married before we put no?and that is where I think the issue came from.Now my question is,should we re apply for the K1 and correct that error or get married and apply for spousal,if so how soon can we get married and then how long will it take to get approved,sorry it was long...any help will be much appreciated.

my brother how can you do such a mistake knowing Ghana has a high fraud cases .... so are you married now with a marriage certificate if yes then let her file for i130 if not you have to marry to obtain a certificate and file an i130 but please dont file k1 again you will still be denied which you going to waste money too

Timeline

I think you either 1. lied somewhere or  2. this is something you had not much control over.

1. You either lied that you were married on your tourist visa just to improve your chances of getting approved. Probably because saying that you are married was to help show ties to Ghana.

2. It is the cultural aspect of marriage where you were not legally married by the govt standards but everyone knew you were married but you had no court document to show that you were married.

If you divorced customarily then get evidence from that scope. Witness sworn statements.

I am not sure if you can divorce in court if the marriage was never registered.

But regardless, you need show proof that you are divorced.

I would suggest you legally get married and file CR-1 BUT before you refile, make sure to find solution to this issue because it will come up again at the interview.

Good luck!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.