9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am the petitioner and have applied for a K1 visa.  my fiance is in Egypt.  I received the letter from USCIS that says the petition is approved and the Consulate is Cairo.  Instructions say to contact the consulate office.  I am ready conflicting information on the website.  On the website it says that once the petition is approved to complete the beneficiary completes on line the DS160, uploads a picture with the application and sends online.  Once this is done, there is a registration number and bar code number that they must have when they are called in for the appointment that is set at the time of submitting the applications.  Could someone help me figure out what needs to be done to get the ball rolling on the other end.  

I guess the question is, what is next after the petition is approved and one receives the I-797 Notice of Action?

Edited by Kimberlia

once your petition is approved by USCIS, they send the petition to NVC, then after 2 week of approval you can call to nvc to see if they have case number, once you get your case number then you can know if they send the petition to your consulate.

here it is what a VJ member did:

We wondered the same thing.  Here is what we did after we got our NOA2:

1) Two weeks after our NOA2 was approved, I started calling the NVC every day.  It usually took between 15-30 minutes to get through.  Here is what I did:

• Phone number: 603-334-0700.
  • If it goes straight to voice recording, it means that the lines are busy.  Hang up right away.
  • If it rings once and then goes to a voice recording, it means they will take your call.  You will hear a voice recording with a woman.  As soon as she starts talking, press 1.
  • You will be directed to a voice recording with a man.  As soon as he starts talking, press 7.
  • You will be put on hold.  
  • When an employee answers, they will ask you for your case number.  Tell them that you don't have a case number yet, but you have your USCIS receipt number.  This was my standard line: "My fiancé and I applied for a k-1 visa.  We received our I-797 (Notice of Action 2) from the California Service Center on February 16, 2017.  W are calling to see if the California Service Center has forwarded our case."
  • The employee will enter your case number into their system.  If the case has not been forwarded, they will tell you to call back again in a few days.
  • If the case has been forwarded, they will ask you for your full name and date of birth and your fiancé's full name and date of birth.  Then they will give you your case number (important) and your invoice number (which they said was important but we never used).

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

7 hours ago, mytruelove18 said:

once your petition is approved by USCIS, they send the petition to NVC, then after 2 week of approval you can call to nvc to see if they have case number, once you get your case number then you can know if they send the petition to your consulate.

here it is what a VJ member did:

We wondered the same thing.  Here is what we did after we got our NOA2:

1) Two weeks after our NOA2 was approved, I started calling the NVC every day.  It usually took between 15-30 minutes to get through.  Here is what I did:

• Phone number: 603-334-0700.
  • If it goes straight to voice recording, it means that the lines are busy.  Hang up right away.
  • If it rings once and then goes to a voice recording, it means they will take your call.  You will hear a voice recording with a woman.  As soon as she starts talking, press 1.
  • You will be directed to a voice recording with a man.  As soon as he starts talking, press 7.
  • You will be put on hold.  
  • When an employee answers, they will ask you for your case number.  Tell them that you don't have a case number yet, but you have your USCIS receipt number.  This was my standard line: "My fiancé and I applied for a k-1 visa.  We received our I-797 (Notice of Action 2) from the California Service Center on February 16, 2017.  W are calling to see if the California Service Center has forwarded our case."
  • The employee will enter your case number into their system.  If the case has not been forwarded, they will tell you to call back again in a few days.
  • If the case has been forwarded, they will ask you for your full name and date of birth and your fiancé's full name and date of birth.  Then they will give you your case number (important) and your invoice number (which they said was important but we never used).

hi good morning. i just want to ask of how long were they (california service center) able to forward your case to NVC. i am just wondering coz we received our NOA2 I-797 April 5, 2017 but until now we still have not received any feedback from the law firm we hired. Do i have to ask my fiancee to call NVC as soon as possible?

hope to hear a response from you guys. any help will be appreciated.

thanks!

K1 Visa Issued:             10-10-2017

----------------------------------------------------

AOS

I-485 Sent :                    01-16-2018

USCIS Received Date:  01-22-2018

Notice Date:                   01-25-2018

Biometrics Appt:           02-20-2018

Interview Appt:              05-07-2018 (Approved on the spot)

I-797 Notice:                  05-08-2018

4 hours ago, jaybeltisroy said:

hi good morning. i just want to ask of how long were they (california service center) able to forward your case to NVC. i am just wondering coz we received our NOA2 I-797 April 5, 2017 but until now we still have not received any feedback from the law firm we hired. Do i have to ask my fiancee to call NVC as soon as possible?

hope to hear a response from you guys. any help will be appreciated.

thanks!

2 weeks after you get your noa2 the petitioner can call NVC and ask if they have your case number.

as your noa2 was on april 5  i am sure nvc has your case number.

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

Timeline

After you receive NOA2 and your case is processed by NVC they'll send it on to the embassy in Cairo.

Yes you absolutely have to the ds160.

You also have to pay a fee to a CIB branch and that's the number you're referring to.  You have to make a profile on the ustraveldocs website too.

When the embassy has your case they'll send you an email - called packet 3 - with instructions.  You won't be able to schedule an interview till you've completed these steps.

Just wait for the email from the embassy with instructions.  Not every embassy has some procedures and documents.  But they'll explain it when they have your case.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
On 5/17/2017 at 5:22 PM, dillygoose said:

After you receive NOA2 and your case is processed by NVC they'll send it on to the embassy in Cairo.

Yes you absolutely have to the ds160.

You also have to pay a fee to a CIB branch and that's the number you're referring to.  You have to make a profile on the ustraveldocs website too.

When the embassy has your case they'll send you an email - called packet 3 - with instructions.  You won't be able to schedule an interview till you've completed these steps.

Just wait for the email from the embassy with instructions.  Not every embassy has some procedures and documents.  But they'll explain it when they have your case.

IN what order does this happen? Did you wait for contact from the embassy or did you  start the DS160 first? What is the proper procedure?

Timeline

Email from the embassy first, then the DS160.

I believe you can do the DS160 before, if desired, but it doesn't really make anything go faster in the process anyway.

For Egypt at least, you still have to pay the fee in person and collect the receipt, follow the instructions that come with that.  Then and only then can you schedule the interview on ustraveldocs.  

The DS160 is filled out online and even though its a lot of questions, we completed ours in about 1 hour.  Its not that big of a deal.

The things that take a long time are the embassy processing and the steps to mail in your proof and documents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.