Calendula

Single and unemployed, want to apply for B1-B2 visa to go visit my boyfriend

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I am a resident of a country in the Visa Waiver Program. My boyfriend lives in the US, he is a US citizen. I've been there for a week at the end of September, then for 3 months.

We would like to make my next visit longer than that so I can meet his family and friends, and visit places we couldn't last time, but for that I would need a tourist visa.

I started an application for a B1-B2 visa that would allow me to attend conferences and short training classes during my stay, while visiting.
But then, before paying the fees, I looked more into what would be asked of me and the documents required for me to show that I will come back to my country after my stay.

Here is my situation:

-I just graduated and am currently looking for a job

-I am not married and don't have any kid here

-I live with my parents, and own a car and bank accounts that can only be used while I'm here

-He would be my sponsor, but we're afraid that the balance on his account isn't enough to be approved.

Now we are wondering if it would be wiser for me to not apply, because if I'm denied then the use of my ESTA isn't as easy or can be denied as well, and wait until we want to get married or something to file for an immigrant visa if it becomes our plans in the future.

Is my situation going to be an obstacle for me to get my visa approved?

Do my previous trips to the US help me or are gonna be a disadvantage for this process?
Can my parents be my sponsor, even if my boyfriend is gonna actually be the principal provider during my stay ?

Does being a citizen of a country member of the VWP making it more difficult to get a tourist visa ?
I need some advice on what I should do...
Thank you for your attention

9 minutes ago, Calendula said:

Is my situation going to be an obstacle for me to get my visa approved? It might be because for a B1/B2, you need to demonstrate ties in your home country and that you will return to your home country after your visit and that you do not have immigration intent.

Do my previous trips to the US help me or are gonna be a disadvantage for this process? MIGHT be advantageous to prove that you always visit and leave without overstaying. MIGHT be disadvantageous because they might question the constant trips despite you being unemployed and unable to pay for your trips fully without any sponsors.

Can my parents be my sponsor, even if my boyfriend is gonna actually be the principal provider during my stay ? Do not ever use or say a USC is your principal provider or sponsor. They might accuse you of wanting to overstay and have a USC to marry you for a green card.

Does being a citizen of a country member of the VWP making it more difficult to get a tourist visa ? Not sure about this.

My suggestion is to just make short trips using your ESTA to avoid any problems in the future. If you still want a B1/B2, start working towards acquiring evidence that could prove your ties and financial ability.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Welcome.

Your past visits to the US should help. As long as there are not frequent, long trips, it probably won't be a negative factor.

You don't really have any ties to return home, which may become an issue.

You cannot sponsor a tourist visa. Each individual must prove their ability to support themselves in the US on their own, and to return home after visiting. The lack of a job, existing funds, and the inability to work on a tourist visa may be a factor as well.

The fact that you are coming to the US to visit a significant other is a tie to the US, which makes proving intent to return home harder.

The only way to know how all the above will play out is to try. France is not a high fraud country, luckily, but you do have a bunch of factors working against you. Gather up whatever ties you do have to return home, save some money, then go ahead and try.

Edit: @KULtoATL's suggestion is good. Short, spaced-out trips via the VWP would be preferable. The general rule of thumb is to spend twice as long outside the US than in it. So if you visit for 3 months, wait 6 months.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

I agree with the other posts.

The officer at the airport might want to see proof that you have a job and an apartment in your home country. And they normally don't really care how many times you have been in the states.

ESTA is valid for 2 years and is only $14 compared to a tourist visa which is much more expensive and like I said, they officer might want to see proof and as of right now it would be difficult for you to apply for a tourist visa.

Try to find a job and save some money if you really want to stay longer than 90 days so that you can proof financial independence and a letter from your employer saying that you work for them.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

As a token of encouragement (for you to acquire the relevant evidence to support your future B1/B2 application), did you know that you'll actually get a passport stamp at your point-of-entry for a visit up to 6 months each time if you are travelling with an approved B1/B2? :D  

But for now, I can't stress enough that you need to work on what all of us have mentioned in this thread. I personally want nothing more than seeing you achieve your objective in obtaining a B1/B2 and spend more quality time with your bf and his family and friends. 

Chin up, think happy thoughts, plan the appropriate steps accordingly and go get 'em! Perhaps your bf could visit you in France! Best of luck :dance:

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

33 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

As a token of encouragement (for you to acquire the relevant evidence to support your future B1/B2 application), did you know that you'll actually get a passport stamp at your point-of-entry for a visit up to 6 months each time if you are travelling with an approved B1/B2? :D  

But for now, I can't stress enough that you need to work on what all of us have mentioned in this thread. I personally want nothing more than seeing you achieve your objective in obtaining a B1/B2 and spend more quality time with your bf and his family and friends. 

Chin up, think happy thoughts, plan the appropriate steps accordingly and go get 'em! Perhaps your bf could visit you in France! Best of luck :dance:

I can imagine how hard it is.

I'm originally from Germany and when I visited my boyfriend in the US I only had a part time job...so I totally understand how frustrating it can be if you want to see the person you love but cannot really afford it to be with this person.

I did stay for only 3 weeks, so ESTA was the document to go with.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Timeline

@KULtoATL , @geowrian , @Becci391 : Thank you very much for your answers! You are comforting me in my decision not to ask for the visa. It's hard because we don't see an end date of our long distance relationship without having to file for a K1, and we would like to wait before getting married and try to live together a little longer, but obviously immigration laws are getting in the way. I'm trying to get a job there but I haven't had any luck yet. I thought being there while searching would help me.

Anyway, I'm going to follow your advice and keep looking for a job here and there, and hope for the best.
I've spent 3 months in the US already and have been back for less than 2 months so I guess I have to wait for another 4 before I go back. And he's just left France after a 10 days stay. Being apart is an absolute torture 
:(

@az2014 : way to be judgemental ! :thumbs:

@Calendula My fiance and I are still waiting for our I-129F NOA2 so I understand how you feel about long distance. We literally voice and video call on a daily basis :)

With you having a ESTA, it's a lot easier for you to make a trip whenever possible so look at the bright side. You're a young graduate so go out and get some work experience in France to work on your financials at the same time. Besides, having work experience might help with your job hunt in the US.

Timeline

@KULtoATL (how do you mention people here? :ph34r: ) : I read on various testimonies that you can't easily visit while your K1 is pending, is that true?

Thank you for your support! We're back on our daily Skype routine but it hurts like hell ... nothing is better than in person, right? People who were in LDR before the Internet were so strong!

12 minutes ago, Calendula said:

@KULtoATL (how do you mention people here? :ph34r: ) : I read on various testimonies that you can't easily visit while your K1 is pending, is that true?

Thank you for your support! We're back on our daily Skype routine but it hurts like hell ... nothing is better than in person, right? People who were in LDR before the Internet were so strong!

You just type @ followed by the username :)

And yes, it is generally difficult for a I-129F beneficiary/K-1 applicant to get a tourist visa. Reason being, you already have immigration intent. Under such circumstances, no matter how strong your ties are in France, it will no longer help much.

az2014 words may have been a little curt to you but he has a very good point. And I don't think he was being judgmental, just logical. If you search the word denial in the visitor visa section you will find that there are plenty of people who are less fortunate than you because they live in a country that requires a visa to enter the US.

As others have mentioned, make do with what you have or risk losing all privileges. 

Good luck to you.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

@NuestraUnion I am very aware of being in a privileged situation, hence why I posted here in the first place. I don't want to put that privilege at risk by asking for a visa.

I think you replied to someone else's topic with your quote, though... 

13 hours ago, Calendula said:

Hello everyone!

I am a resident of a country in the Visa Waiver Program. My boyfriend lives in the US, he is a US citizen. I've been there for a week at the end of September, then for 3 months.

We would like to make my next visit longer than that so I can meet his family and friends, and visit places we couldn't last time, but for that I would need a tourist visa.

I started an application for a B1-B2 visa that would allow me to attend conferences and short training classes during my stay, while visiting.
But then, before paying the fees, I looked more into what would be asked of me and the documents required for me to show that I will come back to my country after my stay.

Here is my situation:

-I just graduated and am currently looking for a job

-I am not married and don't have any kid here

-I live with my parents, and own a car and bank accounts that can only be used while I'm here

-He would be my sponsor, but we're afraid that the balance on his account isn't enough to be approved.

Now we are wondering if it would be wiser for me to not apply, because if I'm denied then the use of my ESTA isn't as easy or can be denied as well, and wait until we want to get married or something to file for an immigrant visa if it becomes our plans in the future.

Is my situation going to be an obstacle for me to get my visa approved?

Do my previous trips to the US help me or are gonna be a disadvantage for this process?
Can my parents be my sponsor, even if my boyfriend is gonna actually be the principal provider during my stay ?

Does being a citizen of a country member of the VWP making it more difficult to get a tourist visa ?
I need some advice on what I should do...
Thank you for your attention

As others have mentioned, based on your lack of solid ties to France, you are much better off sticking with the VWP. Also your recent 3 month trip last Sept may play a role if you attempt to enter the US too soon. It will look like you are living in the US with your bf rather than visiting. Also keep in mind that legitimately any travel and meeting of new people can be accomplished in the 3 months given. There really isn't much that can't be accomplished in 3 months, not to mention most people can't afford a stay of 6 months on their own or be away from work that long either. Much fewer hurdles with the VWP.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

VWP is 90 days.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.