3,975 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Kooky said:

Guys I'm at a loss as to what to do.  Filed 130 days ago (timeline below).  I put in a Service Request on EAD at about 100 days (June 28) and got an email that said "the status of this service request is: Your case is currently under review.  You should receive a decision or notice of other action shortly."  Two weeks later I got an RFE on my AP and EAD (names were reversed on I-131 but I had to wait until I got the letter which took a week); 9 days later website updated saying evidence received, resuming processing.

Two things, wondering if I should put in another service request on EAD to make sure it is on the move; have an Infopass appointment next week, is it pointless to do this?  Does asking for another SR hurt my app at all?  Also had our Congresswoman send a letter earlier this week.  Thoughts appreciated!  Desperate for AP doc, trying to go home to see family and really difficult to get time booked off of work so ended up having to cancel initial time off because we didn't have papers.

March 20, 2017: Filed I-485/I-130/I-765/I-131 (got the NOAs by the end of that week)

April 17, 2017: Biometric done

June 28, 2017: SR on the EAD as it was 100 days at that point (on website it says it was assigned to an officer, sent a reply and completed all on that day: I received an email that day that said "case was under review")

July 7, 2017: Filed for expedite request on AP citing financial loss (plans to travel)

July 10, 2017: Received notice asking for documents to be faxed in support of expedite request

July 11, 2017: Faxed over all the docs

July 11, 2017: Update on website says Request for Initial Evidence on I-765 and I-131

July 17, 2017: Notices received; first and last name reversed on I-131 (letters say "Request for Initial/Additional Evidence," both letters say name has to match)

July 17, 2017: Sent new I-131 form + birth certificate, passport, driver's license etc. overnight

July 18, 2017: FedEx says delivered

July 20, 2017: Update on both I-131 and I-765 says: Request for Evidence Received

July 21, 2017: Notice received expedite for AP denied

July 26, 2017: Congresswoman sent letter/inquiry on my behalf re: I-131 and I-765

It makes a difference whether you are talking about a RFE or RFIE here. The latter would likely start the processing time over again or at least delay the approval a lot. 

Your expedite request was denied because you are not supposed to make any travel plans and book anything before you have the AP in hand. 

It's very unfortunate that USCIS has issued the RFE/RFIE so late otherwise you would probably have your papers in hands by now. You already contacted your congressman so there's not much more than you can do right now. You apparently are adjusting from a visa you can work on so at least you have a life and making money.... you can consider yourself very lucky. Others are waiting as long as you for their work permit as well, not only AP. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh no I know I am absolutely lucky that I am able to maintain working.

It's strange, both the RFE letters says "Request for Initial/Additional" evidence, and USCIS had it up as "Request for Initial Evidence," on the website.  When I talked to a Tier 2 they said it wouldn't restart the whole process it should just resume where they left off based on the fact that it was a simple typo but who knows.  The RFE was SO late, it seems like it was only triggered when I put in an SR on the EAD.  When I spoke to Tier 2 the time before that they also said my I-465 looked ready to for interview but they are backlogged.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Kooky said:

It's strange, both the RFE letters says "Request for Initial/Additional" evidence, and USCIS had it up as "Request for Initial Evidence," on the website.  When I talked to a Tier 2 they said it wouldn't restart the whole process it should just resume where they left off based on the fact that it was a simple typo but who knows.  The RFE was SO late, it seems like it was only triggered when I put in an SR on the EAD.  When I spoke to Tier 2 the time before that they also said my I-465 looked ready to for interview but they are backlogged.

That is RFIE, Request For Initial Evidence. I got the same letter and word "Initial" gave it away as RFIE. Correct me if I am wrong.

If rep said that it will not reset time but simply resume once response is received then perhaps EAD/AP RFIE has different effect on the processing time.

3/24/2017 : AOS, EAD, AP mailed to Chicago, IL PO box

3/25/2017 : AOS, EAD, AP delivered to Chicago, IL PO box

3/27/2017 : AOS, EAD, AP picked up from Chicago, IL PO box

4/5/2017 : Received 3 NOA text messages

4/10/2017 : Received 3 NOA letters in mail. Notice date April 4 2017; Received date 3/27/2017

4/14/2017 : Received letter in mail for biometrics appointment. Scheduled on April 24th

4/24/2017 : Biometrics completed in 30 minutes, no problemo.

5/11/2017 : Status for AOS updated, RFIE

5/15/2017 : Received RFIE letter. I-864 does not meet requirements

5/16/2017 : RFIE Response sent with co-sponsor's I-864 as well as copy of DS-3025

5/17/2017 : RFIE Response delivered and signed for

5/19/2017 : Status for AOS updated, RFIE response received

6/12/2017 : Filed online service request for I-765 (EAD)

6/14/2017 : Received response to I-765 (EAD) online service request. Case within processing time

7/10/2017 : Filed second online service request for I-765 (EAD)

7/18:2017 : Received response to second I-765 (EAD) online service request. Case is under review and decision or notice will be sent soon.

8/2/2017 : 75 days since USCIS received RFIE response. 

8/22/2017 : Interview for AOS is scheduled on September 27th, Portland OR office

9/1/2017 : EAD case status changed to new EAD card is being produced

9/6/2017 : AP case status changed to "Case was approved"

9/6/2017 : EAD case status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

9/9/2017 : EAD/AP combo card received in mail

9/27/2017 : AOS Interview: Approved

9/28/2017 : AOS case status changed to "New card is being produced"

10/2/2017 : AOS NOA Approval letter received in mail. Approval date 9/28/2017

10/4/2017 : Green Card mailed via USPS Priority Mail (info from USPS Informed Delivery)

10/6/2017 : Green Card received in mail

8 hours ago, Kooky said:

Then I wouldn't worry about it too much. You should get the approval any time now. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline
10 hours ago, soulstriker said:

did anyone have a GC interview yet? if so what did u bring?

Hello, I hope you are doing awesome!

We got our interview date for next Monday! They send you a letter with everything that you need to bring like marriage certificate, passports, birth certificates, etc.

You should get the complete lost when you get your notice for interview!

On 7/25/2017 at 1:11 PM, Californiansunset said:

So has anyone else here had the issue that when they went to get their new DL license done the DMV office had problems reading and verifying the EAD card??? I, as always, belong to the lucky ones who after finally having the EAD after 142 days of waiting can't get the DL because according to the DMV all offices with old card readers can't read the new EAD cards (although I have the old EAD layout so I don't know whether she just in general meant that the card is too new because it just recently was produced). Now I have to wait potentially another 90-120 days until the DMV verifies my immigration status with USCIS...

The weird thing however was, that when I complained that I have a job I have to drive to the lady said that I am fine driving with my German DL. I told her multiple times that it doesn't say so on the offical DMV site because now, with having my EAD, I am officially considered a resident who’s supposed to have the CA DL. She said I would be fine showing the paper that I am currently in the process of getting my CA DL. Any thoughts on this? I’m a little hesitant to believe that a police officer would agree with this statement and not fine me for driving without vaild DL.  

Hi! I hope you are doing great!

I know the DL processes are different in every state.But I didn't have any problem (They verified by SAVE, maybe you can ask about it) or try a different DMV.

The best of the lucks!

On 7/26/2017 at 11:41 AM, britontherun said:

Anyone here had an interview (or notice of interview) yet who is NOT a K-1 applicant? Just curious... :jest:

Yes, next Monday! I am adjusting from a work visa (H-1B)

How about you ?

The best of the lucks! Take care

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 7/29/2017 at 5:53 PM, harrie said:

I had my green card interview yesterday in San Jose,California. it was great.

The IO asked us for the joint evidence (I.e joint bank account,credit card, car, utility etc), the photos and then to narrate our story of how we met up to where we're now. Then she asked me what is my wife's name and birthday, and then the same to her. And lastly the yes/no questions on the form I-485. And just like that we were out of there. The wait time was around 15mins and the initial interview too like 15mins as well. The status update on the website changed around 3hrs after the interview. 

Feeling so happy to finally be done with this nerve wrecking process.

I'm wishing everyone who's still undergoing through this process all the best and for God to give us enough patience. I know this process can be very very stressful but, fam hold on tight there's light at the of the tunnel, your happy day is definitely coming. Stay strong and let us keep on encouraging and pushing one another and we gonna make it to the end. God bless.

Congratulations and god bless your family. They have changed the I-485 form and also some questions on it. Did the officer ask you questions from the old form or the newer version.

Edited by TBoneTX
to remove receipt number from quote

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

The IO asked us for the joint evidence (I.e joint bank account,credit card, car, utility etc), the photos and then to narrate our story of how we met up to where we're now. Then she asked me what is my wife's name and birthday, and then the same to her. And lastly the yes/no questions on the form I-485. And just like that we were out of there. The wait time was around 15mins and the initial interview too like 15mins as well. The status update on the website changed around 3hrs after the interview. 

I'm wishing everyone who's still undergoing through this process all the best and for God to give us enough patience. I know this process can be very very stressful but, fam hold on tight there's light at the of the tunnel, your happy day is definitely coming. Stay strong and let us keep on encouraging and pushing one another and we gonna make it to the end. God bless.

Wow,congratulations!Could you please tell me if you brought both original and copy of supporting documents?Thank you!

Edited by TBoneTX

03/20/2017-  Sent AOS package

03/22/2017-  Package delivered

03/31/2017-  Received NOA1 texts(3)+Emails(4) 

04/03/2017-  Received 4 mails of NOA1 and case trackable online

05/01/2017-  Filed request for biometrics appointment 

05/04/2017-  Original mail was lost and missed bio appointment on 4/28

05/04/2017-  Request for reschedule bio appointment

05/11/2017-  50 days mark

05/15/2017-  Called USCIS and knew the date of bio appointment

05/19/2017-  Biometrics letter received in mail

06/02/2017-  Biometrics appointment

06/05/2017-  75 days mark

06/09/2017-  Ready to be scheduled for interveiw

06/20/2017-  90 days mark

06/21/2017-  Filed request for EAD

06/26/2017-  Received notice letter for interview

06/30/2017-  100 days mark

07/03/2017-  EAD card is being produced

07/07/2017-  Card mailed out

07/12/2017-  Combo card arrived

07/20/2017-  120 days mark

07/31/2017-  Interview&new card is being produced

08/03/2017-  Received notice letter

08/04/2017-  Card mailed to us

08/05/2017-  Received card in mail  (Day 136)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Congratulations ! This is a big step for both of you! Celebrate and welcome to America :)  !!!

Guys, I hope everyone is doing great! I just passed to drop some good vibes! I hope everyone get good news soon, also congratulate to those who have gotten approvals!

Tomorrow we are having our interview! I am so nervous but excited at the same time! I am just so ready to get over with this hahaha! I will be writing my experience in the next couple of days. Hopefully everything goes great and we get good news!

Wish everyone the best.

Dearly Kirkuvan !

Edited by TBoneTX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
18 hours ago, Abhi138 said:

Congratulations and god bless your family. They have changed the I-485 form and also some questions on it. Did the officer ask you questions from the old form or the newer version.

thanks so much. She asked the questions from the forms we used when we were filling, which are the old ones. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Kirkuvan Lehtonen said:

Congratulations ! This is a big step for both of you! Celebrate and welcome to America :)  !!!

Guys, I hope everyone is doing great! I just passed to drop some good vibes! I hope everyone get good news soon, also congratulate to those who have gotten approvals!

Tomorrow we are having our interview! I am so nervous but excited at the same time! I am just so ready to get over with this hahaha! I will be writing my experience in the next couple of days. Hopefully everything goes great and we get good news!

Wish everyone the best.

Dearly Kirkuvan !

thanks so much Kirk. Great. Just don't forget the original documents like birth and marriage certificates. plus all the supporting document, mostly the joint proofs. you should be fine if your marriage is genuine. God bless.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Cynthia68 said:

Wow,congratulations!Could you please tell me if you brought both original and copy of supporting documents?Thank you!

Thank you Cynthia. Yeah we did that for all the Government issued documents, and copies for other documents e.i. car insurance, joint bank account, joint credit card, phone bill showing both of our numbers E.T.C 

Hey you should all be good nothing much to worry, really.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An image with a receipt number was removed from an initial post and several posts quoting.  Please avoid broadcasting anything of a personally identifying nature.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, harrie said:

Thank you Cynthia. Yeah we did that for all the Government issued documents, and copies for other documents e.i. car insurance, joint bank account, joint credit card, phone bill showing both of our numbers E.T.C 

Hey you should all be good nothing much to worry, really.  

Thank you very much!

03/20/2017-  Sent AOS package

03/22/2017-  Package delivered

03/31/2017-  Received NOA1 texts(3)+Emails(4) 

04/03/2017-  Received 4 mails of NOA1 and case trackable online

05/01/2017-  Filed request for biometrics appointment 

05/04/2017-  Original mail was lost and missed bio appointment on 4/28

05/04/2017-  Request for reschedule bio appointment

05/11/2017-  50 days mark

05/15/2017-  Called USCIS and knew the date of bio appointment

05/19/2017-  Biometrics letter received in mail

06/02/2017-  Biometrics appointment

06/05/2017-  75 days mark

06/09/2017-  Ready to be scheduled for interveiw

06/20/2017-  90 days mark

06/21/2017-  Filed request for EAD

06/26/2017-  Received notice letter for interview

06/30/2017-  100 days mark

07/03/2017-  EAD card is being produced

07/07/2017-  Card mailed out

07/12/2017-  Combo card arrived

07/20/2017-  120 days mark

07/31/2017-  Interview&new card is being produced

08/03/2017-  Received notice letter

08/04/2017-  Card mailed to us

08/05/2017-  Received card in mail  (Day 136)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
On 7/25/2017 at 4:13 PM, Californiansunset said:

I had all NOAs with me and also the approval letters and that didn't help. The problem with the no appointments is that I potentially have to wait hours (Ive been to the DMV so often when I lived here a year on a B1 visa) and I can't just constantly do that bc of work and even more important my husband can't drive me around like that bc he really needs to be at 9am at the office the latest. I actually went to the smaller office today that is kind of outside of San Diego city in Clairemont. I actually think that the small office mightve been the poor choice since the bigger ones probably have the new card reader. 

Yeah I heard that NY is very lenient about the use of foreign DL and as you said even allows it for up to a year (not in Cali though). CAlifornia is super strict and ive read horror stories on VJ before of members that got caught with their foreign DL and got the $1,000 ticket in court for driving without valid license, the car was impounded for 30 days and I think even a citation. I was thinking the same what you said. When i get pulled over, show my passport and hope that they just think that I'm a tourist. I was told though that they usually ask who's car it is you're driving... so I would say it's my husbands...well and then comes the question why I don't have a state ID if I live with my husband here and so on... 

I probably call after a week and then keep on calling them until i have as that seems the easiest right now. All other DMVs are an hour drive away with the traffic in the morning, plus the wait time without appointment... I just can't do that with my job. THey're pretty chill but not THAT chill ;) Thanks for your help!

Sent you a pm. Short answer is you can get it done fast by calling DMV Head office in Sacramento. Do not wait. Some detail below.

It can take months via mail or even at local dmv in person as they have to send photocopies of the new cards there. By calling and faxing documents I was able to get same day document verification & temp dl with a local dmv walk in (they are not supposed to supply a temp until document verification). You might need the drivers test etc however if that is sorted you'll have the license a week after verification. 

AOS Journey

03/07/17: I-130, I-485, & I-765 packet sent via FEDEX

03/08/17: Received by USCIS @ 3rd Floor Chicago

03/21/17: NOA e-notifcation of I-130, I-485, & I-765

: Online Status I-130,I-765 received on 3/8 and I-485 fingerprint fee accepted 3/15

03/21/17: Received hard-copies of all 4 NOAs in the mail 

03/31/17: Received biometrics appointment letter

04/07/17: Bio-metrics appointment

06/21/17: EAD: "New Card Is Being Produced"

06/26/17: EAD: "On 6/23 Card Has Been Mailed "

06/27/17: EAD Received

08/14/17: Received hard copy of Interview Scheduled Notice (no online updates)

08/15/17: Received Interview Scheduled Notice via TXT & Email

09/13/17: Interview @ Los Angeles Downtown Office; AOS approved & card ordered

09/15/17: AOS "On 9/15 Card Has Been Mailed"

AOS ROC Journey

(8/16/19) Package sent to Phoenix via FedEx

(8/19/19) Fedex signed for by USCIS 8/19

(8/23/19) Case Recieved text message; NOA1 Notice Date 8/19/19

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.