PeTina

Hi, I live in the u.s. and I recently met A Jamaican man on Facebook....... I really really like him..... But I am not dumb so I would love some guidance please..... Thank you?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes, and does he guard his phone?  I have a friend who was engaged to a jamaican man and filed a K1 for him.  Whenever she visited he guarded his phone, never set it down around her.  Always kept it with him, ringer off.  I told her my then fiance used to hand me his phone to hold for him.  She replied her fiance would never allow that.  Found out months later he was active on a dating website and had a JA girlfriend the whole time.

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Caribbean forum,  from DCF as the OP is looking for guidance to help her understand and learn what red flags to look out for from a Jamaican man.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Definitely listen to all advice given. I was in your shoes a few years ago, now I'm happily married to him! Patience is key, and like the others said, don't let the charm overtake you. I took a few trips first, really learning him and his surroundings. Just let things flow naturally and don't rush. If you feel he rushes you in anyway I would consider that a red flag. Best wishes to you and yours! :wub:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You meet someone online, you have never met.

First stop is an Immigration web site?

Seems an odd way of doing things..

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

All of this advice is awesome!  Make sure you listen and follow it closely.  Also, if he has children, has he included you in their lives? Have you met them, talked to them on the phone or skype?  Wishing you the best and much success in love!  It is a grand thing when it is the right one

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There is nothing wrong with beginning a relationship online.  I did.

But having been burned by imagining that an online relationship is a real love relationship (twice), I realized this time around that I needed to meet the person face-to-face before I let go of my heart.  From the very start, I asked hard questions to determine the beliefs of my spouse - things that are highly personal like abortion, belief in God, money.  Turns out we had similar upbringing, and have the same core beliefs. 

No matter how much time you spent together before choosing to be in a committed relationship, YOU DO NOT KNOW THAT PERSON through-and-through.  Even after 10 years of knowing each other, we are still learning.

I fear many people get seduced by the "electricity" at the beginning of a relationship.  But unless you consider your partner a true friend, and can trust them with the icky sides of you as well as the fabulous sides of you, it can be a rocky road.

Take your time.  It's nice to hear sweet nothings - but sometimes that's all they are....nothing.

Best of luck! 

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
3 hours ago, babygurl said:

Hello my friend,

first of all if you got to visit and you have never been to jamaica stay at a hotel of your choice.  Can you tell me what parish he is from?  Look out for signs of asking for money too soon after meeting.  See if he has you speak to family really like mother father grandparents.  Call him at different hours of the night to see if he answers his phone. Look for no excuse for the phone to be off.  Dont let him start asking for you to put credit on his phone, I am sure he was doing it before meeting you.  I can tell you alot of tricks especially when it comes to the jamaican man.  But I will say there are a few good ones out there as well.  Hope this will be one for you.

Good advice. I am not directly knowledgeable about Jamaica, but having flown to a Latin American country to meet a woman from an online romantic relationship, I would go one step further than just staying at the hotel of your choice. I would try to meet this person, for the first time, at a neutral site, if possible, away from his hometown and/or away from where he currently resides. In fact, if there are other Caribbean islands that he can freely visit, then buy him a ticket and meet him on a different island. Make it your choice. You will get him out of his comfort zone. Away from friends. Where he has to focus 100% on you. He will also very likely have to use his real name in order to fly, and presumably a passport. This is all good stuff to know.

You can meet his family on another visit. The first visit should be about you and him, only.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Russ&Caro said:

Good advice. I am not directly knowledgeable about Jamaica, but having flown to a Latin American country to meet a woman from an online romantic relationship, I would go one step further than just staying at the hotel of your choice. I would try to meet this person, for the first time, at a neutral site, if possible, away from his hometown and/or away from where he currently resides. In fact, if there are other Caribbean islands that he can freely visit, then buy him a ticket and meet him on a different island. Make it your choice. You will get him out of his comfort zone. Away from friends. Where he has to focus 100% on you. He will also very likely have to use his real name in order to fly, and presumably a passport. This is all good stuff to know.

You can meet his family on another visit. The first visit should be about you and him, only.

actually i disagree.. u should meet him in his island around his friends/family.. if he doesnt introduce u to his friends/family it is a big red flag.. he could have another life going on there (wife and kids) u dont even know about.

also, see what activity is on his facebook.. lots of scammers have multiple facebooks

the family can also be in on it.. so be careful around his family ect.. but see how he treats them. how they act.. do they expect u to send them money? also, where does he work? see how he interacts at work.

lots of people that get scammed meet the person not in the hometown and quickly file the petition.. not meeting family/friends i believe is a huge red flag! also, the phone thing is another huge red flag! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, caliliving said:

actually i disagree.. u should meet him in his island around his friends/family.. if he doesnt introduce u to his friends/family it is a big red flag.. he could have another life going on there (wife and kids) u dont even know about.

also, see what activity is on his facebook.. lots of scammers have multiple facebooks

the family can also be in on it.. so be careful around his family ect.. but see how he treats them. how they act.. do they expect u to send them money? also, where does he work? see how he interacts at work.

lots of people that get scammed meet the person not in the hometown and quickly file the petition.. not meeting family/friends i believe is a huge red flag! also, the phone thing is another huge red flag! 

I'll have to agree to disagree with caliliving's advice.

My advice was given in regards to your personal safety and peace of mind. If you're at a neutral site, he doesn't have a posse to physically harm you. There are no easy escape routes if he's on another island and in another city. Granted, there are no guarantees even if you're at a neutral site, but your odds are better if it's just one person vs one person.

Again, meet his family on your 2nd trip, and see if he's scamming you at that time. Take care of yourself and be safe on the first trip.

EDIT: I have to say, it would have felt super weird had I met my future wife's family on my first visit. It's a personal thing. You might not feel so awkward. My advice, which mirrors other advice given here is to take your time and get to know him over multiple trips.

Edited by Russ&Caro
Additional info

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Girl am Jamaican do u want me to stalk him.. lol am in the US, I could always add him on fb and try to figure out his intentions.. he will open up to me cuz am Jamaican... and no worries I won't him know we spoke.. sounds creepy, but am always down to help a sister out!!

Filed: Timeline

Its an individual thing not a country thing with good & bad folks everywhere,

its getting to know a person, some woman will act desperate behaving

as if they can buy a man, they'll pay for everything & the men come to

see her as the one who always pays...its 50/50. It will be on you to see

thru the dude, how many baby mamas & kids he got, if he's a marrying

kind who now wants to marry why none of them became his wife.?

His family, there are like 4 different sets of Jamaicans really as its a country

big on class , education, even on one being able to properly speak the

English language, the men & women are both assertive, with the gift of gab

some can come of aggressive & it means nothing. Ask him to move there &

live with him upon meeting, see whats his answer...Meet the family, listen, observe

& dont start off with too much gifts for anyone...Take your time

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Quenbee said:

Girl am Jamaican do u want me to stalk him.. lol am in the US, I could always add him on fb and try to figure out his intentions.. he will open up to me cuz am Jamaican... and no worries I won't him know we spoke.. sounds creepy, but am always down to help a sister out!!

yes!! this!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, caliliving said:

yes!! this!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, caliliving said:

yes!! this!!!!!! 

My dumb ### still Trynna figure out how to use. This forum... anyways.. am serious... but us guys should probable PM me though for privacy... ( no creeps please) lol

Edited by Ontarkie
removed personal email

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Quenbee said:

My dumb ### still Trynna figure out how to use. This forum... anyways.. am serious... but us guys should probable PM me though for privacy.. ( no creeps please) lol

There is private messaging here for privacy. Consider asking moderators to delete that email address. 

Edited by Ontarkie
edited email from quoted part

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.