20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline

This is not so much of a question, rather just me venting on my situation.

Its been almost exactly 4 months since I sent in my AOS packet (6 months since POE), and close to two months since doing biometrics and nothing is processed yet. I swear I'm losing my mind without a job or something meaningful to occupy my time.

Called USCIS around the 3 month mark and they told me that processing will take an additional 30 days because I did biotmetics late (even though I've seen people get accepted as quickly as the day after biometrics). I gave it the additional 30 days and called back today (as none of my cases show up as valid in the case status online this is my only way to check on it). I was told that my biometrics was received but somehow still processing and that she would submit a request and I should hear back in 2 weeks. Yay right? Nope. She said that I will receive notice of an estimate in 2 weeks. So it's still fully possible that I get a notice that says 'give it an additional 30 days'.

I know other people have had worse horror stories, but I feel like they're dropping the ball with my case. I'm an independent person, not a kept woman. To have to keep asking my wife for grocery money, or some cash to buy new shoes because my winter boots are worn out is driving me crazy. I tried spacing out my savings so that I could contribute for as long as possible but its been months of leaving my wife with the burden of rent, groceries, utilities (I helped before because it was a small bill but my personal funds are now basically zero so they're on her from now on). I wont even be able to buy her a Christmas gift with my own money this year and It's making me feel so useless.

It's also hurting with evidence. We intended to add me to her insurance but the deadline just passed and we in the end made the decision it's not worth the additional bill (her insurance is insanely expensive). So that's one big chunk of evidence we'll be missing if we get the AOS interview soon. UGH!

Sorry to rant...I don't have many people to talk to about this. I try not to stress my wife out because shes miserable as it is with her crappy job (which I promised her that she could take a break from once I get my EAD...oops <_<) that she can't leave because she's supporting two people now, as well as family issues.

Maybe it's just because I'm stir-crazy but it feels like USCIS is just trying to destroy new relationships with all this, honestly, it's so hard to enjoy the newlywed phase when everything starts with the question 'can we afford it'. Every time we argue about money the light at the end of the tunnel is that i'll get my EAD and our finances should double....but that light seems to just keep getting further away....*sigh*

Fiancee Visa Timeline

1/7/16 - I-129F Sent

1/28/16 - NOA1

3/10/16 - NOA2

4/8/16 - NVC Sent

5/2/16 - Medical

5/2/16 - Interview

5/4/16 - Physical

5/10/16 - Dropped passport off at Embassy

5/12/16 - Visa in Hand

5/21/16 - POE

7/10/16 - Marriage

AOS Timeline

7/21/16 - Mailed packet

7/23/16 - Packet delivered

7/28/16 - NOA1

10/7/16 - Biometrics

11/30/16 - EAD/AP Approved

12/6.16 - EAD/AP Received

1/21/17 - New card ordered for production

1/23/17 - Greencard Approved (no interview)

1/24/17 - Greencard Mailed

1/26/17 - Greencard Received

• On Oct 13th AOS status was updated to say that a notice was returned due to post office being unable to deliver it. Tier two told me that it was biometrics or NOA1 (even though I had received both before this date).

• A few weeks later I received a notice dated Nov 10th, in regards to my call about the Oct 13th notice. The new notice said that there were no RFE's or withholding on my case. So still not sure what this Oct 13th notice was about.

• Received a letter from a NY office on Dec 23rd (dated Dec 10) stating that my medical was over 1 year old. (At this point my medical was only 7 months old)

• Teir two submitted an internal service request to which I got a response telling me that I need to respond to RFE ASAP

• Submitted another service request on 1/6/17. To which I got a response on 1/19/17 stating that my case was pending and is outside of processing time (no mention of RFE)

ROC Timeline

10/21/18 - Packet Sent

xx/xx/xx - NOA1

xx/xx/xx - NOA2

xx/xx/xx - Card Received

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I called about it and was told by teir two that it was likely my biometrics, or NOA1 (both of which I had received long before Oct 13). Then a few weeks later I received a notice saying basically that I called to see which notice was returned, currently there are no outstanding RFE's or withholding on my case. So the notice that was 'returned' on Oct 13th, either never existed, or its lost somewhere and USCIS doesn't even know what it was.

Fiancee Visa Timeline

1/7/16 - I-129F Sent

1/28/16 - NOA1

3/10/16 - NOA2

4/8/16 - NVC Sent

5/2/16 - Medical

5/2/16 - Interview

5/4/16 - Physical

5/10/16 - Dropped passport off at Embassy

5/12/16 - Visa in Hand

5/21/16 - POE

7/10/16 - Marriage

AOS Timeline

7/21/16 - Mailed packet

7/23/16 - Packet delivered

7/28/16 - NOA1

10/7/16 - Biometrics

11/30/16 - EAD/AP Approved

12/6.16 - EAD/AP Received

1/21/17 - New card ordered for production

1/23/17 - Greencard Approved (no interview)

1/24/17 - Greencard Mailed

1/26/17 - Greencard Received

• On Oct 13th AOS status was updated to say that a notice was returned due to post office being unable to deliver it. Tier two told me that it was biometrics or NOA1 (even though I had received both before this date).

• A few weeks later I received a notice dated Nov 10th, in regards to my call about the Oct 13th notice. The new notice said that there were no RFE's or withholding on my case. So still not sure what this Oct 13th notice was about.

• Received a letter from a NY office on Dec 23rd (dated Dec 10) stating that my medical was over 1 year old. (At this point my medical was only 7 months old)

• Teir two submitted an internal service request to which I got a response telling me that I need to respond to RFE ASAP

• Submitted another service request on 1/6/17. To which I got a response on 1/19/17 stating that my case was pending and is outside of processing time (no mention of RFE)

ROC Timeline

10/21/18 - Packet Sent

xx/xx/xx - NOA1

xx/xx/xx - NOA2

xx/xx/xx - Card Received

You can submit a service request on the EAD and AP which can get your working. They will take action past 90 days. I hope the document that was returned was not your EAD but I have a feeling it was. Wait a couple of says then call back, ask for a Tier 2 person, and demand (nicely) a service request on the EAD and AP.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Its been almost exactly 4 months since I sent in my AOS packet (6 months since POE), and close to two months since doing biometrics and nothing is processed yet. I swear I'm losing my mind without a job or something meaningful to occupy my time.

Called USCIS around the 3 month mark and they told me that processing will take an additional 30 days because I did biotmetics late (even though I've seen people get accepted as quickly as the day after biometrics). I gave it the additional 30 days and called back today (as none of my cases show up as valid in the case status online this is my only way to check on it). I was told that my biometrics was received but somehow still processing and that she would submit a request and I should hear back in 2 weeks. Yay right? Nope. She said that I will receive notice of an estimate in 2 weeks. So it's still fully possible that I get a notice that says 'give it an additional 30 days'.

I know other people have had worse horror stories, but I feel like they're dropping the ball with my case. I'm an independent person, not a kept woman. To have to keep asking my wife for grocery money, or some cash to buy new shoes because my winter boots are worn out is driving me crazy. I tried spacing out my savings so that I could contribute for as long as possible but its been months of leaving my wife with the burden of rent, groceries, utilities (I helped before because it was a small bill but my personal funds are now basically zero so they're on her from now on). I wont even be able to buy her a Christmas gift with my own money this year and It's making me feel so useless.

It's also hurting with evidence. We intended to add me to her insurance but the deadline just passed and we in the end made the decision it's not worth the additional bill (her insurance is insanely expensive). So that's one big chunk of evidence we'll be missing if we get the AOS interview soon. UGH!

Sorry to rant...I don't have many people to talk to about this. I try not to stress my wife out because shes miserable as it is with her crappy job (which I promised her that she could take a break from once I get my EAD...oops <_<) that she can't leave because she's supporting two people now, as well as family issues.

Maybe it's just because I'm stir-crazy but it feels like USCIS is just trying to destroy new relationships with all this, honestly, it's so hard to enjoy the newlywed phase when everything starts with the question 'can we afford it'. Every time we argue about money the light at the end of the tunnel is that i'll get my EAD and our finances should double....but that light seems to just keep getting further away....*sigh*

Contact your local congressman - I promise you will get something done ASAP if you go through them.

My husband is mopping driving me crazy so ill tell you from me the usc side.

Im helping him out now so he can inturn pay it forward and help me...

What happens if one day god forbid im in an accident im a independent professional woman have worked since 15 and all while going to school. I moved on my own at 18 and never looked back at mommys house. But to visit of course lol and eat....

It would be his turn to care for me.

Marriage is a partnership.

My husband now helps ou alot where he can while he waits for his work permission.

Had we married he would come with everything but the money i would spend visiting and away from him...

I look at it as that im sooo happy hes here ??

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Yeah my wife was going crazy as well during her AOS period. Luckily for you it's only been 4 months since you filed, my wife's took over 10 months until completion. So just try and get out of the house so you don't go crazy.

So sorry you feel this way! I had to give up my long-time amazing job to be with my husband and not being able to pursue what I love to do and just sitting at home kills me. Like I said to him earlier this week, I really feel like immigration took away my freedom. Can't have a drivers license until my EAD comes in (note, we live in the middle of nowhere, literally. Cars are needed for the smallest thing), even if I had my DL, I'd feel less desperate lol. I can't just wash - clean - cook - day in day out but hey, we knew this from the start when we filed for the I-129F petition so have to bite the bullet for a little while and everything will be working out in the end. Try to stay positive and keep your head up, girl!

Edited by Sundaysue

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

A little more patience is all! It's coming.

Wish you well on your AOS Journey!!!

So sorry you feel this way! I had to give up my long-time amazing job to be with my husband and not being able to pursue what I love to do and just sitting at home kills me. Like I said to him earlier this week, I really feel like immigration took away my freedom. Can't have a drivers license until my EAD comes in (note, we live in the middle of nowhere, literally. Cars are needed for the smallest thing), even if I had my DL, I'd feel less desperate lol. I can't just wash - clean - cook - day in day out but hey, we knew this from the start when we filed for the I-129F petition so have to bite the bullet for a little while and everything will be working out in the end. Try to stay positive and keep your head up, girl!

Yep, same here. My process was reasonably quick, but this time of limbo, unemployed, no status, no income, not being able to use my skills seriously drove me batty and put at strain on our relationship. Thankfully, my husband has been amazing, but he is the first to admit that he as the USC cannot really begin to understand what the immigrant is going through. Things got better, but despite knowing rationally what I signed up for with the K1 journey, the reality was much, much harsher...so much so, that in hindsight I would not do a K1 again.

On top of that, you are going through a massive culture shock adjustment...I have moved internationally before, it takes 1-2 years at least to adjust and even to begin feeling at home somewhat...it sucks, but it makes you stronger in the end.

K1 time line

I-129F sent: 12/23/2014
NOA-1: 12/29/2014
NOA-2: 06/05/2015 (158 days)
NOA-2 hardcopy: 06/11/2015 (6 days post NOA-2, 164 days total)
Sent to NVC: 06/16/2015 (11 days post NOA-2, 169 days total)
NVC receive: 06/25/2015 (20 days post NOA-2, 178 days total)
NVC case no: 06/30/2015 (25 days post NOA-2, 183 days total)
NVC left: 07/02/2015 (27 days post NOA-2, 185 days total)
Case Ready: 07/07/2015 (32 days post NOA-2, 190 days total)
submitted DS-160, paid visa fee.: 07/21/2015 (46 days post NOA-2, 204 days total)
Packet 3 sent: 07/25/2015 (50 days post NOA-2, 209 days total)
Pack 4 received: 07/30/2015 (55 days post NOA-2, 214 days total)
Medical: 09/17/2015 Interview: 09/23/2015 (108 days post NOA-2, 268 days total)
Interview Result: Approved Administrative Processing: 09/23/2015
CEAC Status Issued: 09/24/2015
Visa in hand: 09/28/2015
POE: 12/29/2015 Wedding: 01/11/2016

AOS Time Line

AOS package mailed: 01/13/2016
AOS package received: 01/20/2016 (day 1)
AOS NOA-1 text/email: 01/23/2016 (day 3), actual NOA-1 date 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS Fingerprint fee received: 01/22/2016 (day 2)
AOS check cashed: 01-25-2016 (day 5) Got 6 month NJ driver's license: 01-25-2016
3x NOA-1 hardcopies: 02/03/2016 (day 14)

Biometrics letter: 02/05/2016 (day 16) Biometrics appt (Elizabeth, NJ): 02/17/2016 (day 28)

EAD and AP approved email/txt: 03/29/2016 (day 67)

GC approval email/text: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

I-797 for I-765/I-131 in mail: 04/04/2016 (day 74)

EAD/AP delivered: 04/05/216 (day 75)

GC card being mailed status update: 04/07/16 (day 77)

GC received: 04/11/16 (day 84 post AOS NOA-1)

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 21 MONTHS!

ROC Window opens: 01/04/2018

ROC Time Line
ROC package mailed to Vermont 01/04/2018
ROC package received at Vermont 01/08/2018 (day 0)
Check cashed: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
NOA-1 date: 01/09/2018 (day 1)
NOA-1 received: 01/16/2018 (day 8 )
Biometrics notice received: 02/09/2018 (day 32)
Biometrics appointment: 02/23/2018 (day 46)
Received 18-month extension letter: 08/13/2018 (day 209)
ROC Approved: 03/09/2019 (day 425)
Card Received: 03/16/2019  (day 432)

I have the same situation. Used to work 50 hours per week. Now not allowed too. Not just that, i feel so alone. I have no friends here and no one to talk too. Anyone feeling the same?

My husband is Indonesian and has the exact same thoughts. Feel free to PM me if you would like. I have encouraged him to join soccer teams and volunteer in his spare time. He just got his EAD and I hope he can meet some work friends once he finds a job. But his first few months here have been rough for sure.

K1 Visa Application:                                                                                                                                                        Timeline for AOS
129-F Delivered: Lewiston, TX 10/29/2015                                                                                                                 AOS paperwork (including EAD & AP) sent via Express Mail: 10/1/2016
NOA1 eNotification: 11/3/2015 (Sent to CSC - yay!)                                                                                                 AOS paperwork received by USCIS: 10/3/2016
NOA1 Hard Copy: 11/8/2015 | NOA2 eNotification: : 11/30/2015 | NOA2 Hard Copy: 12/4/2015                   NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 10/5/16, ~11pm Central time, one notice for each application
NVC Received: 12/10/2015 | NVC Case Assigned: 12/11/2015                                                                             Check Cashed: 10/6/16
Mailed to Embassy: 12/16/2015 (Status shows as Ready)                                                                                     NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 10/11/16
Received hardcopy Letter from NVC: 12/19/2015                                                                                                     Biometrics Letter Received: 10/28/16
Embassy Received Packet: 12/21/2015                                                                                                                      Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/9/16 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day)
Email from Embassy for Beneficiary Email: 12/24/2015                                                                                          EAD approved on: 11/16/16 (early in the day) / AP approved on: 11/16/16 (late in the day)
Replied to Embassy: 12/24/2015                                                                                                                                  AP produced+mailed on:11/18/16 | AP letters (2) received on: 11/18/16
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 3: 12/28/15                                                                                                 EAD card produced+mailed on: 11/22/16 | EAD card received on: 11/25/16
Replied to Embassy: 12/28/15 (at night)                                                                                                                     Social Security card application date: 11/28/16 | LOST IN THE MAIL
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 4: 12/29/15 (in the morning)                                                                    Social Security card received on: 12/27/16 (Ordered a new one at the office on 12/19/16)
Interview Date: Jan 13th @ 12:30pm - Approved!                                                                                                      Interview Waiver! (6 months and 2 weeks past the first NOA1)
CEAC status changed to admin processing: 1/14/16                                                                                                Card Ordered notice (text and online): 4/19/17
CEAC status changed to issued: 1/19/16                                                                                                                     I-485 Approval notice (text and online): 4/20/17
US travel docs website shows "out for delivery": 1/20/16                                                                                          Card Produced + WILL Mail notice 4/27/17
Called by courier regarding delivery attempt: 1/21/16                                                                                                Card Mailed notice: 5/2/2017
Passport in hand:1/22/16 (he went to their office to pick it up) | Arrival date into the US: 3/09/16                    Green Card Received: 5/5/2017 
Married: 06/04/2016
Timeline for ROC
ROC paperwork sent via Express Mail: 1/24/2019
ROC paperwork received by USCIS: 1/28/2019
NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 2/4/19
Check Cashed: 2/6/19
NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 2/11/19
Biometrics Letter Received: 9/20/19 (Did not need biometrics)

Biometrics Letter Received: 10/25/19 (Biometrics Request)

Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/5/19 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day) 

Biometrics Review Completed: 11/6/19 (Processing I-751) - Online notice

I believe you have already gotten sound advice, but I just want to encourage you to stay strong. Marriage takes effort in the best of circumstances. I know this is a lot of extra stress on you both, but keep talking. Find ways to communicate that are healthy and make you stronger instead of weaker. If marriage counseling is covered by your wife, maybe you could go and talk to someone together once or twice a month. I'm going to shoot you a PM shortly.

K1 Visa Application:                                                                                                                                                        Timeline for AOS
129-F Delivered: Lewiston, TX 10/29/2015                                                                                                                 AOS paperwork (including EAD & AP) sent via Express Mail: 10/1/2016
NOA1 eNotification: 11/3/2015 (Sent to CSC - yay!)                                                                                                 AOS paperwork received by USCIS: 10/3/2016
NOA1 Hard Copy: 11/8/2015 | NOA2 eNotification: : 11/30/2015 | NOA2 Hard Copy: 12/4/2015                   NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 10/5/16, ~11pm Central time, one notice for each application
NVC Received: 12/10/2015 | NVC Case Assigned: 12/11/2015                                                                             Check Cashed: 10/6/16
Mailed to Embassy: 12/16/2015 (Status shows as Ready)                                                                                     NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 10/11/16
Received hardcopy Letter from NVC: 12/19/2015                                                                                                     Biometrics Letter Received: 10/28/16
Embassy Received Packet: 12/21/2015                                                                                                                      Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/9/16 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day)
Email from Embassy for Beneficiary Email: 12/24/2015                                                                                          EAD approved on: 11/16/16 (early in the day) / AP approved on: 11/16/16 (late in the day)
Replied to Embassy: 12/24/2015                                                                                                                                  AP produced+mailed on:11/18/16 | AP letters (2) received on: 11/18/16
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 3: 12/28/15                                                                                                 EAD card produced+mailed on: 11/22/16 | EAD card received on: 11/25/16
Replied to Embassy: 12/28/15 (at night)                                                                                                                     Social Security card application date: 11/28/16 | LOST IN THE MAIL
Email from Embassy Regarding Packet 4: 12/29/15 (in the morning)                                                                    Social Security card received on: 12/27/16 (Ordered a new one at the office on 12/19/16)
Interview Date: Jan 13th @ 12:30pm - Approved!                                                                                                      Interview Waiver! (6 months and 2 weeks past the first NOA1)
CEAC status changed to admin processing: 1/14/16                                                                                                Card Ordered notice (text and online): 4/19/17
CEAC status changed to issued: 1/19/16                                                                                                                     I-485 Approval notice (text and online): 4/20/17
US travel docs website shows "out for delivery": 1/20/16                                                                                          Card Produced + WILL Mail notice 4/27/17
Called by courier regarding delivery attempt: 1/21/16                                                                                                Card Mailed notice: 5/2/2017
Passport in hand:1/22/16 (he went to their office to pick it up) | Arrival date into the US: 3/09/16                    Green Card Received: 5/5/2017 
Married: 06/04/2016
Timeline for ROC
ROC paperwork sent via Express Mail: 1/24/2019
ROC paperwork received by USCIS: 1/28/2019
NOA1 E-notification Date (email and text): 2/4/19
Check Cashed: 2/6/19
NOA1 Hardcopy Date: 2/11/19
Biometrics Letter Received: 9/20/19 (Did not need biometrics)

Biometrics Letter Received: 10/25/19 (Biometrics Request)

Biometrics Scheduled for: 11/5/19 (Did not try a walk-in, went on scheduled day) 

Biometrics Review Completed: 11/6/19 (Processing I-751) - Online notice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Yep, here's another one who's going off her rocker because of this process dragging on and on.

While I do have my EAD and AP, I haven't actually found work. Turns out an overseas degree is worth neither a nickle nor a dime! So I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs and endless vacuum-mop-laundry-dishes-dinner cycle for the 16th month. SIXTEEN GODDAMN MONTHS. I'd be absolutely livid if I weren't too depressed to actually feel emotions anymore. So hang in there, you are not the only one stuck in a sanity-testing limbo.

Immigration isn't easy, especially when you're building your life from scratch. Making new friends and finding reasons (other than your partner) to get out of bed each day isn't a cakewalk either. This USCIS ####### is just an added layer of stink on it all.

We're lucky that our partners can support us. Yet I absolutely understand the need to regain independence and contributing to the household (as well as having your own guilt-free spending money.)

Met: June 2004

Face-to-Face 1st time: June 2010

I moved to the US: August 2015

Spoiler

K-1

07/19/14 Sent I-129F

07/29/14 NOA1 (According to USCIS Status Check)

08/06/14 NOA1 Hardcopy 

08/22/14 Officially engaged with a ring, haha!

10/30/14 NOA2

12/01/14 Packet 3

01/19/15 Physical Exam

03/09/15 Interview & Approved

LAX 08/09/15 POE

Spoiler

AOS

09/07/2015 Married 

10/16/15 AOS/EAD/AP sent

11/17/15 Biometrics

01/08/2016 EAD/AP received 

07/05/16 SR: "USCIS anticipates delay"

One year anniversary from application...

10/21/16 EAD/AP renewal

11/03/16 SR: no response. Congresswoman SR 10/27/16, Application is in Florida (!?)

11/18/16 walk-in 11/09/16 EAD Biometrics

11/10/16 RFE: Expired I-693 Medical exam and vaccinations (day 391)

11/17/16 RFE response: (1-day priority with signature, delivered but signature waived)

Tier 2 SR: 12/21/16´-- "Case pending decision" (Los Angeles Office should not have responded, file is not with them)

01/13/2017 Infopass:  -- "You probably have nothing to worry about. Your case is in Arizona. Previous SR wrongly responded, new SR to the right office."

01/17/17 InfoPass SR: -- "Pending. We expect decision or other notice in 45 days." Congresswoman's office confirms RFE response has been received.

01/27/17  GC Approved (amid Tr$mp EO chaos)

02/03/17 Card in hand (445 days, non-complicated case (no previous visas, no overstay, no divorces, not high fraud country, no co-sponsor. Just unlucky.))

ROC

01/07/19 Sent I-751

01/11/19 Text notification for case received with receipt #

03/26/19 Received NOA/GC 18-month Extension letter

05/03/19 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.