FOSSLGRL

TV Show- 90 day Fiance - how do they get away with it?

67 posts in this topic

I just wonder if there is any possibility that immigration service have their eyes on the participants from 90 Day Fiance.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

I just wonder if there is any possibility that immigration service have their eyes on the participants from 90 Day Fiance.

Probably. They watch the forums.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have to admit it is my guilty pleasure show of all time. My husband and I were watching it yesterday when Anfisa and Jorge were talking about her wanting a $300.000 ring and she said, "I am reasonable." Literally choked on my drink. Isn't love supposed to be non related to jewelry and luxury? And she even admitted she is doing it for the money. Oh boy, Jorge must be desperate.

Anfisa puts the gold in digger :rofl: but Jorge dug that hole and is in too deep to dig out and send her back to Russia.

I'm not gonna lie, I've been watching the show since the first season which aired in fall 2014 so I just had to chime in here.

It caught my interest because I had just applied for the K1 for my now wife in February of 2014 and our application for the K1 had been approved in less than 2 months but we knew once my fiancée attended the interview that our process was gonna take longer due to my fiancée's at the time cancelled visa. They started advertising the new series during the summer of 2014 so I knew I had to watch if nothing more than to take my mind off our pending process.

The first season was pretty tame and truest to what most K1s go through so I was excited when they bought it back for a 2nd season. The season 1 couples were believable and interesting but they pretty much fell off the radar after the first season with the exception of Russ and Paola who are back in the season 4 follow-up series "90 Day Fiance Happily Ever After". The 2nd season was also somewhat believable and had some interesting couples like Amy and Danny who were series favorites but TLC started adding ratings inspired drama to the series with the introduction of Danielle and Mohamed who it became obvious from the first episode that their relationship was doomed. It has been pretty frustrating watching that asswipe Mohamed violate every purpose of the K1 and still remain in this country yet try to make people think that he is the innocent victim and has a right to remain here because "he tried to make things work." Season 4 introduced some new couples but this group seems desperate. The "Happily Ever After" series which comes on right after the season 4 newbies follows up with previous season couples including Russ and Paola from season 1, Devar and Melanie from last season and the ongoing season 2 drama with Danielle and Mohamed (btw there is a petition going around on Facebook right now to get his ### deported :hehe:). It is more interesting watching the follow-up to the previous season's couples than the current couples. For the most part though, the series has become tabloid TV but remains entertaining if you don't take it too seriously. I would imagine that TLC probably kicks these folks back some $$$$$ to be on the show and air their drama to the world but it also makes you wonder if the have some arrangement with immigration to allow situations like Danielle's and Mohamed's to continue. The main drawback as others have mentioned is that it does put a negative spin on a process that for the most part works well and has allowed most of us who have found love in another country to bring our loves here for the right reasons.

Despite the drama to up the ratings on TV, the main thing I wanted to touch upon is that the show does bring to light issues that many couples who go through the K1 process face such as family and friends who question the USC for choosing to bring a fiancé here from a foreign country as well as question the foreign fiancé's intentions. The statement often used "they are just here for the Green Card" is so misused on this show. The people who say this have no clue how difficult it is for a K1 to eventually get a green card and how extensive the process is even after the couple is married. Family and friends reactions and sometimes interference after the fiancé arrives which can also be a huge issue to the happiness of the couple. Other issues include: the cost of going through this process including travel (sometimes multiple trips) to visit the fiancé, the fees for the process and the costs and issues that arise from supporting a fiancé / husband/ wife once they get here and during the period before they receive their EAD card and can begin working. Putting together a decent wedding in 90 days (something that most couples plan over a year or more) can be quite a challenge. And finally, the adjustment that the foreign fiancé goes through when coming to this country for the first time especially the language barriers can make relationships challenging. It would have been interesting to see a K1 applicant who was in a similar situation that my fiancée was in where they had a previous immigration violation and had to file a 601 and 212 waiver before being issued a K1 visa. This definitely adds to the stress of the process. Since this series came on the air while I was waiting for my own process to complete, I was able to relate to some of the issues that the couples go through before the fiancé arrives and once they arrive, planning a wedding in less than 90 days, and the hectic process of just getting through the 90 days to file for AOS. I will say it has been even more fun to watch the show this season with my wife sitting by my side on the couch and compare our happy and now normal situation with the dysfunctional couples from the series.

So yes, the show is flawed but definitely interesting TV if you can stomach it :blink::lol::rolleyes: .

I also wish that they would find some other career besides being a swimsuit model as an option for the foreign fiancées. They even tried to turn Alexi, the dude from Israel into a male swimsuit model in season 3. :wacko:

I-129F K-1 Fiance Visa Process, I-212/601 Waivers

November 2013 - Met online: Match.com
December 6 - 8, 2013 - Met in person for the first time in Mexico.
February 2014 - Filed for K1/K2 Visa
April 2014 - K1 Visa Approved
March 19, 2015 - Attended interview in Juarez. fiancée denied. Allowed to file for I-212 and 601 waivers
June 25, 2015 - 212 and 601 Waivers received at Phoenix lockbox and forwarded to Nebraska Service Center.
December 21, 2015 - Waivers Approved
December 28, 2015 - Instruction letter received. Request for passports and new medical.
February 1-3, 2016 - Trip to Juarez for new medical and submit passports to consulate.
February 5, 2016 - Medical documents and passports received at consulate.

February 12, 2016 - Passports with K1 Visa picked up from DHL in Tijuana.
February 22, 2016 - Entry into California through Otay Mesa POE without daughter who decided to stay in MX.
April 30, 2016 - Married!!!!

AOS, EAD, AP Process

June 1, 2016 - Mailed adjustment of status packet.
June 15, 2016 - NOA1 Received I-485, I-131, I-765
July 8, 2016 - Biometrics Appointment
July 25, 2016 I-485, I-131, I-765 Cases appeared on USCIS Website.

August 29, 2016 - EAD/AP Card received via USPS Priority Mail.

November 21, 2016 - Received text that Interview has been Scheduled for 12/21/16

December 21, 2016 - Interview in San Francisco

December 29, 2016 - AOS Approved, 

I-751 ROC -Process

December 6, 2018 - I-751 Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

January 28, 2018 - File receipt and extension letter received.

August, 2020 file transferred to be adjudicated with N-400

July 6,2021 Combo Interview Scheduled in San Francisco

August 3, 2021 ROC/ Naturalization Interview

August 6, 2021 ROC Approved

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 14, 2020 - N-400 filed

July 6, 2021 Received Notice of Combo Interview Scheduled in San Francisco, CA

August 3, 2021 Combination ROC/Naturalization Interview

August 6, 2021 Naturalization Approved

August 24, 2021 Oath Ceremony and Naturalization Certificate Issued

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I think we need a counter show called 'The REAL 90-Day Fiancees'. I could wow the viewers with my desk full of papers and constant scanning of photos and old documents. :idea:

Or the real CR1 and then every week for 9 months check in on them checking the status at USCIS and nothing changing. :rofl: Maybe a counter of how many times they've checked the status that week too.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2016 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.