Motherof2American

What is the purpose of the maximum 1 year out of USA limit

97 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

So, it is your choice not to become an American citizen as Japan does not allow dual citzenship

then why worry about any of this?

the object of the K1 and Cr1 are to be here with your loved ones and support the country and its rules and laws

My stepdaughter is in Canada as she married a Canadian / it is not someplace you just get to choice to live in / they also have immigraiton rules and you would not be eliglble for their socialized medical care / i am sure you can travel there but immigrating???? i doubt it / neither of you are Canadian

Thank you, yes, it is something we well consider, given Canada's much more logical or modern presence requirements.

The banking sector, is HQ in Toronto which often ranks as the best city in North America.

It is an easy trip to my in-laws in New York.

Toronto itself is quite multicultural.

Enjoy Canada !

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

I never thought I'd say this: god bless USCIS and US immigration laws. If they're preventing people with a massive sense of entitlement from immigrating, then they're doing something right.

3% of what? The US population? Yeah, that's about right. What's your point? Do you see anyone arguing that our immigration policy is perfect? Any idea how many undocumented immigrants are in other countries? And how many developed countries share a very long border with a developing one?

Do you have any idea what US gov't revenue is? Even if you were a billionaire, the taxes you'd pay to the US government if you were living and working here would be a drop in the ocean.

The US has many problems, but a lack of wealth and rich people isn't one of them.

I know that in Japan the undocumented rate as a % of population is far less than 1%. In Singapore, which is surrounded by developing countries it is the undocumented rate is probably less than in Japan.

US gov't revenues are probably in the range of 4T$.

If you look at it from the point of view, of saying that 1-2% of US immigrants probably have same issue as I do, the taxes that those 1-2% could pay to the US is not immaterial.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

OP mentions money enough times so it must be a high priority. You can't compare USA to Japan, who would want to immigrate to Japan anyway?

Timeline

So, it is your choice not to become an American citizen as Japan does not allow dual citzenship

then why worry about any of this?

the object of the K1 and Cr1 are to be here with your loved ones and support the country and its rules and laws

My stepdaughter is in Canada as she married a Canadian / it is not someplace you just get to choice to live in / they also have immigraiton rules and you would not be eliglble for their socialized medical care / i am sure you can travel there but immigrating???? i doubt it / neither of you are Canadian

Thank you

Toronto is the banking capital of the country.

Japanese banks are some of the largest and strongest in the world.

As a bilingual, with banking experience I have a good shot to obtain employment there.

Husband has nearly 20 years international banking operations experience across 3 countries.

We would probably be able to get in to Canada on a skills basis.

Alternatively, as I mentioned, Husband is from NY, actually he has family including a Godmother / Aunt who is a citizen in Toronto.

Canada permits such a relative to sponsor 1 relative such as nephew (and their spouse/child,) for permanent residence.

Not sure why you think that we'd not be able to partake in their high quality healthcare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

If you choose not to become a US citizen then your opinion really doesn't matter. By becoming a US citizen you have the right to vote to help make changes,... and you could come and go as you please - no problem!

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks for the help folks

but as a way of comparison, consider Canada's requirements of permanent citizens

1. You must be resident in Canada 730 days in each 5 year period

2. You CAN count days abroad as resident in Canada IF you are accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse.

Under either of these scenarios, I would not lose my LPR

While I appreciate the advice of fellow posters, I fail to see what benefit the US obtains from having such a severe constraint.

The US is not Canada. If you don't like our immigration laws immigrate to Canada. Just because you have a US husband and children doesn't give you the right to anything. If you want to be a resident, you must live here. A green card is not supposed to be used as a visitor visa, you should have applied for a re-entry permit before you left. The USCIS is not trying to make your particular life miserable, we have immigration laws for a reason and honestly they are not strict enough. There are millions of people who immigrate here every year and if they make an exception for you they would need to make exceptions for countless others and the exceptions would never end. like I said, if you don;t like our laws, then don't live here. It is of no fault of USCIS that Japan does not allow dual citizenship and if you do not want to become a US citizen, then abide by the conditions of your green card if you want to keep it. It was your choice to abandon your residency. And FYI, with a re-entry permit you can live outside the US for up to two years, not one. It really irritates me when people come to complain about our immigration laws, if we didn't have laws people would take even more advantage of us than they already do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thank you, yes, it is something we well consider, given Canada's much more logical or modern presence requirements.

The banking sector, is HQ in Toronto which often ranks as the best city in North America.

It is an easy trip to my in-laws in New York.

Toronto itself is quite multicultural.

I am not sure why you continue to bring up Canada and it's immigration laws when you want to live in the US. Someone needs to knock that chip off your shoulder, the US owes you NOTHING just because your husband and kids are citizens. Feel free to move to Canada, The US will not miss you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

The US is not Canada. If you don't like our immigration laws immigrate to Canada. Just because you have a US husband and children doesn't give you the right to anything. If you want to be a resident, you must live here. A green card is not supposed to be used as a visitor visa, you should have applied for a re-entry permit before you left. The USCIS is not trying to make your particular life miserable, we have immigration laws for a reason and honestly they are not strict enough. There are millions of people who immigrate here every year and if they make an exception for you they would need to make exceptions for countless others and the exceptions would never end. like I said, if you don;t like our laws, then don't live here. It is of no fault of USCIS that Japan does not allow dual citizenship and if you do not want to become a US citizen, then abide by the conditions of your green card if you want to keep it. It was your choice to abandon your residency. And FYI, with a re-entry permit you can live outside the US for up to two years, not one. It really irritates me when people come to complain about our immigration laws, if we didn't have laws people would take even more advantage of us than they already do.

AMEN!

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Timeline

For me, Canada and the US are similar. Certainly NY, Toronto and Tokyo are probably more similar than NY is to some other parts of America.

One difference though is the violence that is found more in America than other rich countries.

OP mentions money enough times so it must be a high priority. You can't compare USA to Japan, who would want to immigrate to Japan anyway?

Japan, as is Canada are members of the G7 which had earlier been the G8 until Russia was kicked out. The G7 is a group of nations that have broadly similar economies (i.e. capitalistic, relatively high standard of living) and political systems (democratic.)

No country can compare to the US,
but countries such as
Canada and Japan do offer opportunities that cannot be found in the US

Canada - great long term future with abundance of resources, small population
Japan - gentler culture, more universal / distinct culture

Both - much stronger nationally funded healthcare and education, much less of a chance for children to be drafted into a non defensive war

Certainly many more people want to immigrate to Japan than do the countries of the former Soviet Union.

Japan is a pretty attractive place to many folks from Central Asia, South Asia, East Asia.

Many many westerners have come to Japan for business and fall in love with the country and never leave.

I am not familiar with the immigration appeal of the Ukraine.

Timeline

Of course they do. Immigration is for moving and establishing residence, not to become citizen. Lots of people live and work in foreign countries without becoming citizens.

Certainly, US immigration laws needs a bit of work, but every country has its good and bad aspects. You can still move back to the US, you just need to go through the IR-1 process. Just stay in Japan for another year while going through the process together and then move together or have your husband move over to re-establish domicile when you're closer to the end of the IR-1 process. Have you looked to see if Japan offers DCF? That would speed up the process for you.

Thank you. We will investigate the IR-1 process, but we are also going to consider Toronto and Tokyo. Japan does not have DCF for non-military.

I'm sure I can speak for all Canadians and deny your petition please try, Mexico.

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Timeline

If you choose not to become a US citizen then your opinion really doesn't matter. By becoming a US citizen you have the right to vote to help make changes,... and you could come and go as you please - no problem!

But my husband's does and he was distraught that this was the treatment we received at the Embassy.

Of course the Embassy exists to help USA citizens and advance the interests of the USA abroad.

We can't for the life of us see, how this achieves either objective.

He will take it up with the Ambassador.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I know that in Japan the undocumented rate as a % of population is far less than 1%. In Singapore, which is surrounded by developing countries it is the undocumented rate is probably less than in Japan.

US gov't revenues are probably in the range of 4T$.

If you look at it from the point of view, of saying that 1-2% of US immigrants probably have same issue as I do, the taxes that those 1-2% could pay to the US is not immaterial.

Japan is surrounded by water. The closest countries are South Korea (a developed country), North Korea (very undeveloped but one that doesn't allow its citizens to freely travel), and Russia (big population, but very few living near Japan). Talk about apples and oranges.

Singapore is also an island city-state with a smaller population than the San Francisco Bay Area. Much easier to protect its borders.

And yes, it is immaterial. If Congress raised income tax 1% for even one income tax bracket, the increased revenue would be more significant than the 1-2% of supposed immigrants that have the same issues as you do.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.