25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

The one thing I've have learn over the years is when things are sweet- they are sweet my friend, but when they turn soar on you --WATCH OUT!!!!

There are way too many variables in play here.... RUN for the hills and keep it moving they are no friends of yours and they only want to hurt you-not protect you!!!!

Every reasonable person would have done the same: work on getting off the hook of being legally bound to financially sponsor someone who isn’t her “son-in-law” anymore. No reasonable person wants to live with the idea that they can be legally held financially responsible for someone who they do not relate to. It doesn’t make them “seeking to hurt him;” it’s a logical financial decision to avoid any future complications – including the possibility of draining their hard-earned money. This doesn’t mean their “fear” is true; it means they are concerned about being hooked financially to someone who isn’t a member of their family. If they were that bad seeking to “hurt” him, they wouldn’t have signed the affidavit of support form. If you take your time to read the information on the form, especially the guide, you would see how scary those choice of words and manner of expressions are; it takes a great courage – and much love – to sign after reading it. Give them some credit for their valid fear

Marriage (if applicable): 2007-09-08

I-130 sent: 2008-08-05

I-130 approved: 2009-04-08

Case Completed at NVC: 2009-04-08

IR-1 Visa Received: 2011-01-21

US Entry: 2011-01-29

SS card received: 02-26-2011

10 years GC Received: 03/10/2011

Citizenship eligibility Criteria: 3 years

10-31-2013: Eligibility Date

02-07-2014: Application Sent

02-11-2014: Application Received

02-11-2014: Priority Date

02-18-2014: NOA Received

02-20-2014: Bio-metric Letter sent Date

03-11-2014: Bio-metric Date

03-13-2014: In-line for Interview

04-10-2014: Interview Letter Sent Date

05-20-2014: Interview Date

06-19-2014: Oath Ceremony

06-21-2014: Applied for U.S passport Book (expedite-$60)

06-23-2014: Passport Application received

06-26-2014: Passport Completed processing and mailed

06-27-2014: Passport Received

Every reasonable person would have done the same: work on getting off the hook of being legally bound to financially sponsor someone who isn’t her “son-in-law” anymore. No reasonable person wants to live with the idea that they can be legally held financially responsible for someone who they do not relate to. It doesn’t make them “seeking to hurt him;” it’s a logical financial decision to avoid any future complications – including the possibility of draining their hard-earned money. This doesn’t mean their “fear” is true; it means they are concerned about being hooked financially to someone who isn’t a member of their family. If they were that bad seeking to “hurt” him, they wouldn’t have signed the affidavit of support form. If you take your time to read the information on the form, especially the guide, you would see how scary those choice of words and manner of expressions are; it takes a great courage – and much love – to sign after reading it. Give them some credit for their valid fear

I agree with your statements here :thumbs:

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Every reasonable person would have done the same: work on getting off the hook of being legally bound to financially sponsor someone who isnt her son-in-law anymore. No reasonable person wants to live with the idea that they can be legally held financially responsible for someone who they do not relate to. It doesnt make them seeking to hurt him; its a logical financial decision to avoid any future complications including the possibility of draining their hard-earned money. This doesnt mean their fear is true; it means they are concerned about being hooked financially to someone who isnt a member of their family. If they were that bad seeking to hurt him, they wouldnt have signed the affidavit of support form. If you take your time to read the information on the form, especially the guide, you would see how scary those choice of words and manner of expressions are; it takes a great courage and much love to sign after reading it. Give them some credit for their valid fear

They knew divorce did not stop the sponsorship and still signed it. The possibility of the government ever going after them is minuscule. They are overreacting and being malicious.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

They knew divorce did not stop the sponsorship and still signed it. The possibility of the government ever going after them is minuscule. They are overreacting and being malicious.

But they still have VALID concerns.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well, to clarify: my marriage lasted more than the time it took me to get my immigration status as an unconditional LPR. In fact, legally it's lasting longer than a year after that since we're not yet divorced, only separated. No shame here, we happened to fall on the other side of statistics. Marriages fail. Although we went through some ugly bits, we're civil to each other now and we still share friends and whatnot. The only way I know about what her relatives were suggesting is because she told me during an argument. It was a heated moment and she spilled that. Like I said, my intention is not protecting myself from what they're doing. I want to protect myself from what anyone could possibly do.

This situation is uncomfortable for both parties. I really understand their concern, and I think their worries are valid. Maybe unfunded, but valid. They don't wanna live one and a half years fearing I can screw with their finances. I do not want to live one and a half years under the fear of being booted out of the country for no reason.

I really don't see the argument in "the reason you came here for no longer exists". It's true that the reason I came here no longer exists. However, I came here, I lived here for four years, my life changed tremendous amounts, I should and want to live here now. I have that right, I just don't want anyone take it away from me.

Thanks for the responses all! I hope this topic can help other going through a similar situation in the future.

PS: I actually didn't think I qualified for any means-tested benefits as a LPR.

There's nothing you can do to screw their finances. The I-864 is a contract that is never enforced. Even if you got food stamps, for example, the chances of them having to repay that are close to 0. Think about it logistically, some overworked, underpaid (in their mind- in reality they are paid relatively well) civil service worker would have to take the initiative to cross-reference the names of all food stamp recipients for their citizenship status, and then check non-citizens against Department of State system to check if they are immigrants with a valid I-864 on file. Even if they would find one, then they have to forward the case to another department (and another happy civil service employee) to then create an invoice and bill them.

Seems like you got a better chance of winning Powerball, seeing Santa Claus, or seeing pigs flying than all this happening.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: Timeline

The sponsorship isn't what you are making it out to be. You can't hurt their finances. If you applied for and received means-tested benefits like food stamps, the government could, if it wanted, sue them to get the benefit back. The possibility of that happening is so slight.

You as an employed adult have nothing to worry about.

What they are doing is WRONG. So her family is concerned and doesn't want to be on the hook. The answer isn't deporting you. They can't return you to sender because the relationship didn't work out. You made a life here, now make it without her and her family. They have nothing over you. They can't call immigration and revoke a contract they signed and deport you. You have a 10 year green card. Your residency is permanent, it doesn't expire. Your card expires every 10 years, but your right to live here is unconditional and never expires. Its not dependent on sponsorship or anyone. Its like if you have a passport and it expires. You don't lose your citizenship.

Edited by Harmonia

Harmonia is correct. Their sponsorship is limited to if you use means tested ebenefits and the US government wanted the money back. Dont use those and they havent a valid concern in the world. Beyond that the government would go after your wife. Also i suggest starting the divorce yourself. This gives you control over the proceedings.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.