Sunny123

Can muslims attend non-muslim Funerals/ Viewings?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Sunny,

So I am a convert and my husband is a born Moroccan Muslim. There is no reason islamically speaking for him not to go to the funeral/wake. If he is concerned that alcohol will be served - then just don't order or drink any drink with alcohol in it.

See the information below for more insight. InshaAllah your husband will come to a choice - tell him to pray isthakara - the prayer for seeking guidance from Allah(swt) if this is causing such a hardship for him.

Allah knows best.

Ally & Omar

According to Grand Mufti of Egypt Ali Gomaa, attending a non-Muslim funeral is in fact consistent with the ethics of the Quran (60:8), which commands believers not to cut themselves off from non-Muslims who are not fighting against them. In addition to expressing good manners in a way that attracts non-believers to Islam, Muslims can avoid jeopardizing their own spiritual state by making sure that they do not participate in shirk or other prohibited behavior at any non-Muslim funerals they attend, such as praying for deceased individuals who had worshipped gods other than the one true God of Islam.

Hadith on Respect: The Prophet stands up for the funeral of a Jew out of respect for his humanity
Abu Amina Elias March 30, 2011

Qais ibn Sa’d reported: A funeral passed by the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, and he stood up. It was said to him, “It is a Jew.” The Prophet said, “Was he not a soul?

Source: Sahih Bukhari 1250, Sahih Muslim 961

Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi (authenticity agreed upon) according to Al-Bukhari and Muslim

عن قيس بن سعد إِنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ مَرَّتْ بِهِ جَنَازَةٌ فَقَامَ فَقِيلَ إِنَّهُ يَهُودِيٌّ فَقَالَ أَلَيْسَتْ نَفْسًا

1250 صحيح البخاري كِتَاب الْجَنَائِزِ إذا رأيتم الجنازة فقوموا

961 صحيح مسلم كِتَاب الْجَنَائِزِ قام النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم وأصحابه لجنازة يهودي حتى توارت

Timeline to Immigrate to the United States of America -

Travel back to our Moroccan Home from Casa: 10/17/2014

Husband submits for vacation from Protection Civile: 10/28/2015

Husband submits for demission from Protection Civile :11/10/2014

I travel personally to the Main Office of the Protection Civile in Rabat and submit a Dolence: 12/09/2014

I travel back to the USA in preparation of the birth of our baby - 12/18/2014

Husband travels back to Rabat to the main office of the Protection Civile and meets with "Head of Human resources" and told to resubmit his vacation request - told his request will be approved by 1/15/ 2015: 1/07/2015

Husband asks commander to call main office of Protection Civile to check the status of the new vacation request and is told no one but the general can approve his request and he is on vacation: 1/28/2015

Husband stops going to work for the Protection Civile in protest: 1/29/2015

We hire a lawyer in Casablanca to help my husbands case with regards to the Protection Civile : 02/2015

Lawyer sends letter to the Main office of the Protection Civile - 02/04/2015

Our daughter is born with my husband still stuck in Morocco - 2/09/2015

Direction (Main Office) of the Protection Civile Sends out Alert Letter to my husband and my husband picks it up on- 02/13/2015

Husband goes to US Consulate to request an extension of his visa - US Consulate says they won't extend his visa however they can issue him a new one at the cost of 3000DH/ $311 -/+ and to come back the last week of the month to get his second visa- 3/08/2015

Husband returns to the US Consulate and picks up *NEW VISA* with expiration date of 09/22/2015 on: 03/26/2015

Husband's first visa expires: 04/08/2015

Protection Civile continues to pay my husband - 04/2015

The lawyer sends letters to the Ministry of the Interior - 04//2015

My husband seeks help from the Prime Minister of Morocco's political party and called the lawyer to set an appointment to check on his case: 05/6/2015

My husband seeks help from a second lawyer when the first one proves unhelpful: 05/07/2015

My husband goes to Parliment to follow up with the Prime Minister's party - set a follow up appointment at a cafe the next day: 05/08/2015

I send a letter to the Moroccan Ambassador to the United States asking for help with my husband's case (registered mail): 05/26/2015

I go to Sen. Diane Feinstein's office seeking help with my husband's demission from the Protection Civile: 05/27/2015

I go to Sen. Barbara Boxer's office seeking help with my husband's demission from the Protection Civile: 05/28/2015

My husband returns to hometown in Morocco and returned his materials, the message awaiting him says "Demission Favorable.": 06/11/2015

Lots of running around to meetings and trying to get the authorization to leave Morocco by my husband: 07/2015

Husband goes to CMN airport trying to get paperwork authorizing him to leave Morocco and with the help of some powerful people GETS THE AUTHORIZATION: 07/23/2015 :dancing:

My husband leaves Morocco and arrives in the U.S.A. and meets his daughter for the first time at SFO airport: 07/27/2015

event.png

bzBsm8.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So he can not

shows love, respect or friendship toward an unbeliever,

His wife?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So he can not

His wife?

Right, something is not making sense here. Muslim men are allowed to marry Christian women, but they are considered a sinner if they shoe her love, respect, or attend her funeral??

I'm not a religious Islamic scholar. Based on what I know, he has already committed a sin. Islam and Judaism (Jewish) are strict religions and not open to interpretation (like Hinduism or Buddism etc.)

I'm not a religious Islamic scholar. Based on what I know, he has already committed a sin. Islam and Judaism (Jewish) are strict religions and not open to interpretation (like Hinduism or Buddism etc.)

So what sin has he already committed?

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline

Married a Kafir

There is an exception in this case.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I need to pop out and get some Popcorn, probably the thread will be closed by the time I get back.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Thread re-opened for constructive on-topic discussion only~

~Numerous posts removed due TOS violations: profanity, insulting, antagonistic, non constructive, off-topic, or quoting such removed posts, 2 thread bans~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

hmmm I wish I found this thread when it was alive but sine I'm late I'm just going to say what I think hopefully I will help out somehow.

Your husband can go to the funeral however when it comes to prayer (if there is any) he is advised not to pray to stay away from conflicts in belief.

Same goes for christians if they attend a muslim funeral they can but they don't pray because it will not be accepted and it's a belief conflict. Even though that the intentions are good.

The prophet Muhammad PBUH was with his companions and a funeral of jew was passing by. And to show respect he stood up. Even though the person who passed away was not a MUslim, the prophet stood up for respect. So there is no sin for showing respect by standing up or even attending the funeral.

I read somewhere too somebody who said that he commited a sin for marrying a kafir. All I'm gonna say is Define kafir. Christians and jews are not kafir they are called by the Quran as " the people of the book". Another point is nobody has the right to judge a person whether you are a muslim, christian or jew or a hindu or whatever you believe. Only the one who created you can and will.

Please this only my point of view. I did not intend to offend anybody. and I will not preach to anybody past this post about religion because I don't have enough knowledge to be able to argue with you. And you have freedom to believe what you want to believe.

Good day.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Disclosure: I'm born Hindu and NOT a follower of Islam. I obtained advice from my Islam follower friend. Islam does not recognize any other religion and has strict views towards unbeliever (non-muslim or athiest etc.). Here is the info:

Muslim religious authorities prohibit attending non-Muslim funerals. For instance, Sheikh Sulaymaan ibn Naasir al-‘Alwaan asserts that the Quran teaches that attending a non-Muslim funeral is haram (unlawful) because it shows love, respect or friendship toward an unbeliever, which he argues is forbidden by the Quran (58:22). Similarly, a fatwa, or ruling on Islamic law, published on Islam Web cites the Quran's prohibition on praying for deceased non-believers as grounds for banning attendance at their funerals. The same fatwa notes that attending a Hindu cremation ceremony would be an even greater violation of Islamic law, since it would imply agreement with the burning of a body, which is also haram.

this is total bullcrap

Filed: Timeline

Respectfully, i ask you not to spread incorrect information especially since you have said that you are not a religious Islamic scholar.

Women of the people of the book (jews, christians) are Halaal (righteous) to take as wives for Muslim men. No sin was committed by him marrying a christian person.

2006 - Entered US on F-1
2009 - COS to H-1
2011 - Married USC

Conditional GC Process:
04/2012 - Concurrent I-130 petition / I-485 AOS / I-765 EAD / I-131 AP sent
35 days to biometrics, 73 days to EAD/AP combo card, 85 days to interview, 96 days to Conditional Green Card

04/2014 - Eligible for ROC

06/2014 - I-751 package filing joint with spouse sent

5 days to extension,37 days to biometrics, 172 days to CSC transfer, 247 days to Green Card

04/2015 - Eligible for Citizenship

09/2015 - N-400 package filing on basis of USC spouse sent

29 days to biometrics, 105 days to interview, 147 days to oath and US citizenship

~ 9 years and 6 months from first entry to US citizenship

Filed: Timeline

Disclosure: I'm born Hindu and NOT a follower of Islam. I obtained advice from my Islam follower friend. Islam does not recognize any other religion and has strict views towards unbeliever (non-muslim or athiest etc.). Here is the info:

Muslim religious authorities prohibit attending non-Muslim funerals. For instance, Sheikh Sulaymaan ibn Naasir al-‘Alwaan asserts that the Quran teaches that attending a non-Muslim funeral is haram (unlawful) because it shows love, respect or friendship toward an unbeliever, which he argues is forbidden by the Quran (58:22). Similarly, a fatwa, or ruling on Islamic law, published on Islam Web cites the Quran's prohibition on praying for deceased non-believers as grounds for banning attendance at their funerals. The same fatwa notes that attending a Hindu cremation ceremony would be an even greater violation of Islamic law, since it would imply agreement with the burning of a body, which is also haram.

not sure where you are getting your information but being friends with non-believers is not haraam.

please look at http://www.islamicity.org/4659/can-muslims-be-friends-with-jews-and-christians/

1 - muslims are not allowed to pray to any other God. so Muslims cannot pray to another God while attending a non muslims funeral, but attendance is not a problem.

2 - muslims are not to participate in rituals that are not islamic, so sure he shouldnt be cremating the body himself, but there is nothing wrong with attending a funeral and offering condolences.

2006 - Entered US on F-1
2009 - COS to H-1
2011 - Married USC

Conditional GC Process:
04/2012 - Concurrent I-130 petition / I-485 AOS / I-765 EAD / I-131 AP sent
35 days to biometrics, 73 days to EAD/AP combo card, 85 days to interview, 96 days to Conditional Green Card

04/2014 - Eligible for ROC

06/2014 - I-751 package filing joint with spouse sent

5 days to extension,37 days to biometrics, 172 days to CSC transfer, 247 days to Green Card

04/2015 - Eligible for Citizenship

09/2015 - N-400 package filing on basis of USC spouse sent

29 days to biometrics, 105 days to interview, 147 days to oath and US citizenship

~ 9 years and 6 months from first entry to US citizenship

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

not sure where you are getting your information but being friends with non-believers is not haraam.

please look at http://www.islamicity.org/4659/can-muslims-be-friends-with-jews-and-christians/

1 - muslims are not allowed to pray to any other God. so Muslims cannot pray to another God while attending a non muslims funeral, but attendance is not a problem. Multifaith prayer happens often. I had attended quite a few multi faith services growing up where prayers would be shared

2 - muslims are not to participate in rituals that are not islamic, so sure he shouldnt be cremating the body himself, but there is nothing wrong with attending a funeral and offering condolences.

1. Theologically if attending a Christian or Jewish funeral Muslims would still be praying to the same God. The big 3 wordhip the same God, they just take different paths after Abraham.

2. Agree

Edited by Transborderwife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.