42 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

First off congrats, genuinely.

Secondly I think that you need to remember that while drug users may be good, successful people, it's still a federal crime. Nobody is questioning his integrity as a person or ability to succeed. It can indeed come across as being holier than thou, but many just want to prepare you for the situation that may occur which many people don't even consider.

Best of luck with this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Your post will be deeply appreciated by others who follow in similar footsteps. Relating these type of experiences with the immigration system is one of the top things that makes this forum worthwhile.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

I was in the lowest of the lows, and felt so much negativity from the forum.

I remember seeing your post about this issue in the UK forum at the time, or maybe it came up elsewhere. Nonetheless, I flicked past the post because I frankly didn't have any relevant experience or anything useful to write at all! I thought I'd post something now, however, because the sentiments of your message seem so important particularly the line above that I have quoted. I think that it was/is a real useful exercise for you to have written this down and humbling for others too. It is really important that you can have people to turn to for support rather than denigration as is often the case in online forums, and I hope that VisaJourney (and any other fora that you visit) can be one of those places :) I'm sorry that you experienced so much negativity during your low time- as that isn't when you needed/need. Good luck, and keep us updated if you feel comfortable to do so! :) (I would understand if you don't though!)

Best wishes to you and yours,

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

I wouldn't count on anything until he has the visa in his hands.

Why do you have to bring negativity in this post!

And she wasn't talking about obtaining his visa! She was being informative in letting people know the outcome of her husbands admittance to smoking a pot.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Oh wow...don't ever feel low from posts on here. Everyone on here or almost everyone has gone or is going through the same process. This is a world wide interaction site you will get people that like to (Mod edit for language: not be nice)- if it don't apply let it fly. This is a great place to get helpful info and advice to play around with in your thoughts but no one here knows what the CO or embassy, USCIS, or NVC will say. Every single case is different and every person reading the case views things different. Congrats to you and good luck. I hope for you that he has the visa in 3 months. Don't let Debbie downers get to you.

Edited by Penguin_ie

That's great, but I still wouldn't count on him getting it in 3 months instead of 12 until it was actually in his hands.

Not negativity, but practicality. Some people just see what they want to see.

If your last post and this post arnt negative then I don't know what is. Saying the words that's great but I still wouldn't count on it isn't positive towards the OP.

Try and put yourself in her shoes... And consider the family's feelings.

The OP wasn't asking for advice, just simply sharing an experience.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

I am happy to hear that things are working out for you. Rebuke negative people in Jesus name. I have seen people on here that are negative and some that gets straight to the immigration problem. This site is supposed to be supportive but nothing about human behavior surprise me. Good luck again and God bless.

(L) (L) (F) (F) Some peoples journey to love is harder than others, but when they reach their destination its definitely, definitely worth preserving. (F) (F) (L) (L)

event.png

blk-event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm gonna wade in on this discussion too, mostly because I got a shout out ? Party we shall my friend, party we shall! Please rest assured good people of visa journey this party will be a drug free zone but is likely to include copious amounts of ridiculously named cocktails to celebrate what will have been our own journeys!

And everyone's journey is different so let's try not to judge people's choices, I'm sure most of us have come up against people's opinions of our ldr's, how piffed off we get when people question our relationships and the trust they're built on, in the same way they have no right to question that there's a bunch of people who didn't have the right to have the holier than thou approach ( nicely put transborderwife - quoted not stolen ?) that they did to the initial post!

@hypnos I had a run in the other day on a thread for a similar topic, someone commented with a remark much like yours, one which added little substance (no pun intended) and was formed mostly on opinion! Please do not take this as me throwing shade, your are entitled to your opinion by all means but was it relevant to post really? You see a lot of people on these forums either post an opinion or guess without really knowing and that is neither helpful or supportive. Sometimes no comment is as good as one with no value! And I hold my hand up to say I got a bit narky on the thread I just mentioned which was probably wasn't necessary either so I was no less guilty on that part just frustrated at the ridiculousness of it all!

@simon well said ?

I-129f sent by USPS - 21/01/2016

NOA1 - 25/01/2016

NOA2 - 15/03/2016

NVC received file - 04/04/2016

NVC case # received - 07/04/2016

DS-160 completed upon receipt of case # and medical booked

London received - 14/04/2016

Medical - 15/04/2016

Waited impatiently for interview but the new system was introduced 03/05/2016 and I booked myself

Interview - 01/06/2016

Approved- 01/06/2016

AOS/EAD/AP

Filed - 26/08/2016

NOA1 - 02/09/2016

Biometrics - 28/09/2016

EAD approval - 28/10/2016

AP approval - 29/10/2016

I can't tell you how its gonna be in the future, But i can tell you it will be worse off if we give up!!

I wouldn't count on anything until he has the visa in his hands.

Thanks for being an example of what I was referring to. I think there's a happy medium between being rude and negative and being unrealistic and sugar coating too much. You seem to lean one way.

Your post will be deeply appreciated by others who follow in similar footsteps. Relating these type of experiences with the immigration system is one of the top things that makes this forum worthwhile.

Thanks for the supportive words - regardless of my somewhat controversial comments on the tone of some responses I've seen, my main point was the 3 month ban. As far as I am aware, most people were previously receiving letters that said '12 month ban' where as ours said '3 month'. To me that's a HUGE deal. I really hope that theres been a change in policy, but who knows.

You don't need to set my expectations - but thanks.

I was mainly trying to update the forum on the fact that our letter said 3 months for a positive drug test. As far as I am aware, up to this point people have been receiving 12 month bans. I didn't speculate as to the rest of our process. I thought that our news was somewhat unusual, and hopefully of interest to others.

And when that experience involves actually receiving the visa, it will be of practical use.

To be clear, "don't count on it" stems from so many people being told one thing by USCIS/COs but then an entirely different thing taking place.

"USCIS said I would receive my green card in 10 days but it's been two months and I'm still waiting".

"The CO told me I would receive my passport back with my visa but nothing has happened in weeks".

"At my interview they said everything looked good, but then I received a denial in the mail and am told I need to file a waiver".

These and myriad variations thereof have happened countless times on these forums, to the point where it is close to useless what they actually say, and only what they actually do is germane.

If/when the OP's husband gets their visa that's great; until then, it's just really hearsay. And I don't fault the OP at all; this stems entirely from US immigration officials and agencies routinely giving out advice so poor they would be barely qualified to clean the floors, let alone make life-changing decisions like these.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.