35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I totally understand you!!! I came here 2 weeks ago and I'm already starting to get bit depressed and bored.

I try to get outside of the apartment as much as I can (mostly in the evenings when my fiancé comes home from work): go to the Mall, grocery store...

The rest of the time I spend with research (immigration process, recipes, jobs, etc.), cooking, cleaning and watching TV lol

Maybe you have a gym somewhere close? That's what I'm gonna start soon, since we have one in our apartment complex. ;)

:wub: K1 Visa Timeline :clock:

I-129F sent: September 15, 2015

Delivery Confirmation: September 16, 2015

NOA1 E-Notification: September 18, 2015 (sent to California!)

NOA1 Hard Copy: September 25, 2015

RFE E-Notification: October 20, 2015

RFE Hard Copy: October 24, 2015

RFE sent: October 29, 2015

RFE received date: October 30, 2015

NOA2 E-Notification: November 9, 2015

NOA2 Hard Copy: November 14, 2015

NVC Received: November 20, 2015

NVC Case# : November 24, 2015

Embassy received: November 27, 2015

Received Pack 3: December 4, 2015

Medical: December 22, 2015

Sent Pack 3: January 8, 2016

Interview scheduled: January 13, 2016

Interview Date: January 25, 2016 APPROVED :)

Visa in Hand: January 29, 2016

POE: March 07, 2016

April 11, 2016: we got married :wub:

AOS sent: May 23, 2016

Delivery Confirmation: May 25, 2016 [Day 0]

NOA 1 E-Notification: June 2, 2016 [Day 8]

NOA 1 Letters in Mail: June 6, 2016 [Day 12]

Biometrics Letter in Mail: June 17, 2016 [Day 23]

Biometrics Appointment: July 1, 2016 [Day 37]

Case Number finally started working online: July 28, 2016 [Day64]

I-765 & I-313 Approved: August 12, 2016

EAD Combo-Card in hand: August 20,2016

Green Card in hand: December 17, 2016 (no interview)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

concentrate on what you can do to make your husband happy. hopefully he will do the same for you. the time period you're in right now, new from europe, adjusting to the craziness of american culture, and to our cities where you can't walk to many places, is probably the most difficult part of the immigration process. it will pass. my ex was from ukraine and i think our marriage started to fall apart during the stage you're at now. don't let it happen to you.

Filed: Timeline

Hey,

so I've been in the US for 1 1/2 months now and I couldn't be happier.

But I think I am depressed.

I have no drivers license and my husband has to work a lot. Usually I am home 24/7. We have two dogs which I take for short walks, trying to increase the length (both pull a lot and go crazy when they see other dogs, they are Weimaraners).

Now, I am not used to being home all day. I used to live in Berlin...huge difference.

I started a blog to write about my new life here in the US. But that's not enough.

What else can I do?

I can't wait to finally have my drivers license. We are still waiting for my social security number

join your local gym

Visit a church.

The depression will pass soon, stay upbeat & positive

TIA

Do some volunteering to help the less fortunate (a pier upper)

Take a class at the local school

join the library

Try out new dishes sometimes to prepare

Edited by Jawaree

Guys, we need to think of things someone can do without driving. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

How about some crafting projects? Is there any remodeling in the house or backyard you could do? Or built some things for the house? Blogs and Pinterest have awesome ideas! You could also write about it on your blog :) I sometimes wish I had the time...but with a baby...haha noooo way!

You can buy everything when your husband is off and then built and work on it while he s at work?

I think you need to get out and get to know people, but I also know its hard without a DL :/ any people you see on the dog walks? Anyone you could walk with regularly?

Read more into dog training and work with them?

Direct Consular Filing - Frankfurt

03/14/2016 I-130 Sent

03/15/2016 Check cashed

03/16/2016 I-130 NOA1

04/19/2016 I-130 NOA2 (took two! weeks in the mail)

05/17/2016 Got Case# after emailing the Frankfurt Consulate

Continued application in 2022…

Guys, we need to think of things someone can do without driving. ;)

Oh God yesh this..

Usually I stay home and play online games.

You can also pm me if u need someone to talk to, mrandmrsBRS. I'm always here to chat!

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am in the same situation :( ..been here 3 months now and I am so tired of staying at home. My husband go to work weekdays and I am left at home with our dog. I tried to keep myself busy but lately those things doesn't make me happy anymore. I came to a point where I burst into tears and telling my husband that I want my old life back. I miss having a job and be independent, going out with friends and just going somewhere or trying adventurous things. I don't have friends yet, which is making me more sad. I know in time, I will meet new people that I might establish friendship with, right now I am pushing myself to review for my driver's exam so at least I can move forward..

I did not check my visajourney account for couple of months after I get my visa. It is good to know that a lot of people here can relate, sharing their own experiences and suggesting ideas! thanks everyone <3

When people ask "what should we do - K1 or marry first and CR-1?" I don't think we can ever stress enough how much of an impact not being able to work can have on someone. It's not just about filling the time, it's about your feelings of self-worth. It's so important to me that I have (like many other CR-1 folk) accepted a longer processing and separation time by doing this path rather than a quicker processing and shorter separation on K-1. I want to move in with my husband and enjoy life - and for me that includes going to work.

It is a lot easier with a CR-1. Although I am not naive enough to think that I will walk into a job the minute I step off the plane, knowing that I CAN work immediately is a huge comfort to me. Even if it's McDonald's or cleaning for the neighbours. Just being able to do something and have that feeling of earning my own money and having my own responsibilities to attend to.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Make taking your driver's license your number one priority. Unless you're in a place like New York or Chicago, America really is built for driving, you'll get very isolated without a driver's lisence and car. And while studying for it, you can join like German groups and expat communities online and start making contact with people in your area. Maybe even look for others in your area right here on VJ.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Do you have a green thumb? Some of my friends are avid gardeners and they planted all sorts of fruit trees and vegetables in their garden, it takes quite a bit of time, offers good exercise and you are outdoors in the fresh air. You can also join local groups to get seeds, swap tips and if you have good harvests, share it with the neighbors! This is a longer-term project that hopefully will keep you entertained and also very good food for your family.

Also consider using services like Uber to get to where you need to go before you get your license, Uber is not very expensive where I live and super convenient.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My spouse just got his drivers license today after passing the practical test. Last week he studied and passed the written Washington State test. He has only been here 5 weeks and is Colombia where things are very different in a lot of ways, including driving. Also, social security card took 7 days to get from the date of the interview. He applied online. Can you do that in the state you are in? Best of luck. Also, I have changed my schedule as much as possible to be around to support my partner as much as possible. Even that I know is noutot enough. Can your husband be more available to help you out? I have made it my priority to get him whatever he needs to be and feel as independent as possible. He is adjusting amazingly well.

K1 Visa

12/30/15: Visa Received

AOS

CIS Office : Seattle WA

03/29/16: Date Filed

04/11/16: NOA Date

05/11/16: Bio. Appt.

04/20/16: Case updated to fingerprint fee received

04/20/16: Case updated to Case is ready to be scheduled for interview as of 03-17-16

05/11/16: Bio. Appt.

06/06/16: RFIE Mail / I-864 1040 tax form (missing) resent overnight shipping. Second submission of 1040 form for 2015

08/09/16: Status update to interview scheduled for September 13th

08/17/16: Status updated to interview cancelled

08/18/16: Status updated to interview scheduled for September 20th with corrected receipt number. AKA "D" day

12/01/16: Interview: Verbal Approval

12/06/16: Status update to card has been mailed

EAD

03/29/16: Date Filed :

Case rejected for invalid fee and/or signature (failed to sign both areas - Doh!)

04/18/16: Date refiled

04/19/16: NOA -Case Received

07/20/16: Case updated to card being produced

07/26/16: Card received priority 3 day mail

• 2 weeks later...

I feel you girl, I'm in the same shoes, I developed depression here in US never had this before. I would just cry because I feel alone a lot of times, try to make friends, it really helps, maybe they can pick you up to go somewhere (park, malls, etc) Once you got your ssn and license then you can start working and be busy and you wont feel as lonely anymore. Also you can volunteer as other people suggest (never done it myself)

Journey to citizenship now. Finally the last one!

It's not easy adjusting. Moving around town here in the USA is not as easy as it is in the Philippines. I have a lot of free time but I dont know what to do. So I took a course online to upgrade my skills. That's what keeps me busy at the moment. :sleepy:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.