35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Depression is no joke. All of us had our moments one way or the other. Now it is the digital age it is not as bad as it used to be. Imagine coming here when there was no internet, no smart phone, nothing... you would be lucky if your town has an immigrant that could speak your native language.

Everyone of us go through depression one way or the other at some point through our journey. If you just sit down on your butt and complain, things will not get any better for sure. Adjusting to the culture, rules, laws, lifestyle, weather take time. You may need to move from one city to another to find the best fit. Not everyone is a New Yorker, not everyone is live in a ranch type, not everyone loves the snowy North East, not everyone could do it in expensive California, etc etc. Sometimes it is not as easy to move due to the job or school, in that case try to stay positive and find things that appeal to you. Go outdoors, play sports, find a musical attraction, opportunities are endless. Even most small towns/cities has something to offer. I lived in Albany, NY for 3.5 years. Not the best place to live but location was perfect. NYC in 2.5 hours, Boston in 2.5 hours, Montreal in 3 hours, Adirondacks in 1.5 hours, Lake George in 1 hour, great skiing/hiking/outdoors ... We finally made our move to Boston, couldn't be happier but I miss Albany a lot for all these things.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I'm in the same situation, husband at work 9-5, m-f, and I'm left at home with the dog. I try to entertain myself tho, Netflix, take the dog to the beach (we live in a beach house so that's convenient). We do movies night at the cinema on Tuesdays, weekends we go hiking and shopping. We have been to a tons of musicals at various theaters. We eat out often. Just keep yourself occupied and you won't have time for depression. Join a yoga group or go to a chanting session. We attend Hillsong church (he is not a believer and he does it for me) and that makes me happy. I've been here for five months now and it won't be another half a year before I can even think of getting a job.

The only difference is, I enjoy not having to work!

AOS - 130 days

ROC - 15m

N400 - 10/18/2019

bio - 11/4/19

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Weims need strong owners. Not physically, but mentally. Study some books or watch some Cesar Millan shows on how to have a better walk with your dogs. They should not be pulling you around everywhere, and they do need a lot of exercise as hunting bred dogs (think an hour run every day!) But if you're their alpha, they won't pull like that.

It's really natural to be homesick, even when you're happy to be someplace. I moved from Canada and I was homesick for the first year. I could work and drive, but things were just different.

If you don't have your SSN yet, you should go get it. This is too long to be waiting. Go the SSA office and bring your endorsed passport to show you have a green card. Hopefully the hard copy green card will get to you soon.

I would make a list of places you guys can visit or eat on his time off. Try some new restaurants. Go hiking or to a new park. A wine and painting place?

Maybe you can get a scooter or bike to get to places close by in the mean time or learn the bus schedule? Study for the driver's exam too!

Try some online programs or the local university or college for something new to learn. Even the library like Tbone suggested.

I"m checking out your blog now ;)

To be honest, having my car here was the only thing that kept me sane. I went to the library a lot because it was nice to be around other humans, I didn't care to really talk to them though. Shopping, running errands, cleaning, blogging, etc was enough to keep me occupied.

However we were struggling with money so I eventually started volunteering and was treated like #######. i felt trapped there and didn't have the heart to say no and leave. it was hell. I'd way rather be free to do my own thing. But once you can drive, you'll be much happier, trust me.

To be honest, having my car here was the only thing that kept me sane. I went to the library a lot because it was nice to be around other humans, I didn't care to really talk to them though. Shopping, running errands, cleaning, blogging, etc was enough to keep me occupied.

However we were struggling with money so I eventually started volunteering and was treated like #######. i felt trapped there and didn't have the heart to say no and leave. it was hell. I'd way rather be free to do my own thing. But once you can drive, you'll be much happier, trust me.

I can't agree more with this statement. I only recently got my permit and my test is booked for July 15th (we needed to get me a car to use), and I haven't been able to drive over here since arriving in February last year. It's incredible what driving can do to bring your spirits up as you have so much more freedom! Granted at the minute I can only take advantage of this 'freedom' with my husband in tow, but fingers crossed that'll change when my test comes around.

Also, I suggest joining some like-minded groups. I actually downloaded an app that allows you to meet people and make friends, and there is all sorts going on in the FB group one of the girls created. I highly recommend looking around and seeing what you can find, because it really does make a difference. I was so depressed of the longest time because I missed my family, and we were living with my husbands parents, but things got better and I got used to the fast paced way of living. Now I have a job in the city, a great group of friends, and the house to ourselves (finally)! Things get better, I promise.

AOS

09/02/2015 - Enter United States @ Raleigh Durham International Airport, NC under VWP

14/02/2015 - Fly to San Francisco, CA

09/05/2015 - I-94 Expires

22/05/2015 - Civil Surgeon Medical Examination

28/05/2015 - Received Sealed Envelope

04/07/2015 - Married in Vegas

14/08/2015 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 to Chicago Lockbox

21/08/2015 - Emails/Texts of Acceptance for I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131

24/08/2015 - I-130 & I-485 Cheques Cashed

27/08/2015 - Paper NOA1 Received

14/09/2015 - Biometrics Letter Received

23/09/2015 - Biometrics Complete

17/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Produced

21/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

24/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Delivered

31/10/2015 - Received SSN

06/02/2016 - Interview Notice Delivered by Post

09/03/2016 - Interview

09/03/2016 - Approved at Interview + Card Ordered

14/03/2016 - Green Card Mailed

16/03/2016 - Green Card Received

ROC

05/02/2018 - Sent I-751 to California Service Centre

07/02/2018 - I-751 Received

09/02/2018 - Extension Letter Arrived in Post

12/05/2018 - Biometrics Reused Letter

18/08/2018 - 18 Months Extension Letter

19/04/2019 - 1-751 Approved + Card Produced

Naturalisation

09/12/2018 - Sent N-400 Application Online

14/12/2018 - Received Paper NOA1

02/01/2019 - Biometrics Scheduled

06/02/2019 - Biometrics Rescheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.