stfiii

No permission from BIO Father for minor daughter - options?

35 posts in this topic

As the Title suggested, the Bio Father of the minor daughter will not give permission for the daughter to immigrate. Let me break this down and please if anyone out there knows of any options we may have at our disposal, please don't be shy, please let me know.

Fiancee is Mexican National living in Mexico.

Minor daughter is dual citizen with Spain and Mexico, lives with her mother in Mexico.

Bio father is a Spanish citizen living in Spain, with no Mexican nationality.

Bio Mother has Custody and Guardianship. Bio Father still has parental rights.

Minor Daughter has European Passport from Spain and can pretty much travel freely to the US without the need for a Visa and has done so several times to visit her Uncle and cousins in the USA.

Since Bio Father won't give permission, does anyone out there know what path we can take here?

Here are my thoughts, and clearly, I'm just throwing out some ideas, I don't know if they are viable, the legality of it, and or if these ideas will work or not.

Option 1: Proceed with the K1 Consulate Interview. If they don't give permission for the daughter to come, can we then tell the Consulate the daughter will follow later? Will that work? Then because the daughter has a Spanish Passport, we can just have the daughter come up for 90 days at a time to "Visit us", then we can send her back to grandma and grandpa for a weekend, then have her come back to the states on the tourist visa for 90 days, and just keep repeating this process until she turns 18, then we can file for her citizenship immigration or whatever you call it. Does anyone see a problem or legal issue with this?

Option 2: If the consulate will not allow the minor daughter to come over on the K visa, have the minor daughter apply for a Visa Waiver to study in America for school. that way she can stay with us for longer periods of time before we need to send her home in-between school or however long a visa waiver is good for.

Option 3: If Bio Mom is living here in the states with me as my wife, and she is supposed to have custody of her minor daughter, after the daughter comes to the states to visit us, can the daughter stay here past her 90 Visa entry and can we apply for a hardship exemption to keep the daughter here in the states with us? Does anything like that exist in the annals of our immigration system?

Option 4: Can anyone out there give me a 4th option that is viable?

I know there will be some comments about fraud etc...- this is not my intention. We are not trying to fraud the immigration system. My intention is to find out of anyone knows of ways to circumnavigate the need for the bio fathers permission and just get my family over here to live with me so we can begin our new life together.

I was in a similar situation with my ex-husband and getting his permission for my kids to migrate with me to Florida. We divorced and I got care and control of the kids while he was granted liberal access. That being said, he rarely utilized this access but when I mentioned to him that my husband would be filing for us, he gave all assurance that he would grant me the permission to take them with me....yeaah riightt! I ended up putting him through Family Court to vary the order that was given at the time of our divorce.

End Result: He voluntarily terminated his parental rights for the kids and the judge stated that she will draft the court order in such a way so that I would have zero issues when crossing borders with my babies in the event that CBP Officials queried the consent letter to travel from the bio-dad. :D

Your fiancee will have to show the court that she has been there for them (financially, emotionally, etc) and he has not impacted positively on their lives. The court usually makes a decision based on the best outcome for the kids' sake.

Hope I was able to help somewhat.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Two post removed, one for giving out completely bad information. The second for instructing how to commit fraud. ~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do not see that the Bio Dad would have a leg to stand on legally having allowed the child to be moved from Spain to Mexico. How does Mexico to USA complicate matters?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ask direct, specific questions to the Consulate so that you get good answers. Don't try to be "cute" and dance around it. That can lead to delays and more intense scrutiny.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

As the Title suggested, the Bio Father of the minor daughter will not give permission for the daughter to immigrate. Let me break this down and please if anyone out there knows of any options we may have at our disposal, please don't be shy, please let me know.

Fiancee is Mexican National living in Mexico.

Minor daughter is dual citizen with Spain and Mexico, lives with her mother in Mexico.

Bio father is a Spanish citizen living in Spain, with no Mexican nationality.

Bio Mother has Custody and Guardianship. Bio Father still has parental rights.

Minor Daughter has European Passport from Spain and can pretty much travel freely to the US without the need for a Visa and has done so several times to visit her Uncle and cousins in the USA.

Since Bio Father won't give permission, does anyone out there know what path we can take here?

Here are my thoughts, and clearly, I'm just throwing out some ideas, I don't know if they are viable, the legality of it, and or if these ideas will work or not.

Option 1: Proceed with the K1 Consulate Interview. If they don't give permission for the daughter to come, can we then tell the Consulate the daughter will follow later? Will that work? Then because the daughter has a Spanish Passport, we can just have the daughter come up for 90 days at a time to "Visit us", then we can send her back to grandma and grandpa for a weekend, then have her come back to the states on the tourist visa for 90 days, and just keep repeating this process until she turns 18, then we can file for her citizenship immigration or whatever you call it. Does anyone see a problem or legal issue with this? International parental kidnapping (Discussed below). The other legal problem is abusing a visitor visa to live in the US with brief visits to Mexico. That's illegal. That will end up with her losing her privilege to visit the US. This will absolutely not work.

Option 2: If the consulate will not allow the minor daughter to come over on the K visa, have the minor daughter apply for a Visa Waiver to study in America for school. that way she can stay with us for longer periods of time before we need to send her home in-between school or however long a visa waiver is good for. There is no such Visa Waiver. This does not exist.

Option 3: If Bio Mom is living here in the states with me as my wife, and she is supposed to have custody of her minor daughter, after the daughter comes to the states to visit us, can the daughter stay here past her 90 Visa entry and can we apply for a hardship exemption to keep the daughter here in the states with us? Does anything like that exist in the annals of our immigration system? International parental kidnapping (Discussed below). This will absolutely not work.

Option 4: Can anyone out there give me a 4th option that is viable? A Mexican court order allowing the child to immigrate to the US.

I know there will be some comments about fraud etc...- this is not my intention. We are not trying to fraud the immigration system. My intention is to find out of anyone knows of ways to circumnavigate the need for the bio fathers permission and just get my family over here to live with me so we can begin our new life together.

The US is not going to help one parent kidnap a child and bring him to the US against the wish of another parent.

If Mexican law allows a parent with sole custody to immigrate a child to another country, then you may not have a problem. Otherwise, you will need either the father's permission or a Mexican court order allowing the child to immigrate to to the US. Taking the child to the US without permission, even temporarily for a visit, may result in both you and your wife being charged with parental international child abduction.

https://travel.state.gov/content/childabduction/en.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_child_abduction

Edited by aaron2020

Hello! Good day! can someone show me a sample letter of consent. I'm already married to a US citizen and already processing our papers. My daughter needs a consent letter from her dad,giving consent to travel and to live with me as well. Thanks! and God Bless everyone! a reply will be much appreciated :idea::idea::joy::joy:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In my situation I had sole custody of my children but ex-husband had visitation rights which seems to be same situation as you. I did not have a letter of permission to immigrate from my ex-husband but simply a letter from him that he was aware we were moving. Not sure that it helps at all but perhaps she can convince him to write that as opposed to permission. He doesn't have to like it but that he is aware of it? Maybe? I don't know.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

I would try to delve further into why he is blocking this. Is he scared that he is no longer going to be a father figure? Does he feel ousted by the presence of a potential step-dad? Is he worried that he will see less of his child? Are the flights more expensive from US to Spain so he is worried about expenses? Does he speak/read well in English, if not, does the thought of sorting out legal issues with a US court worry him? Does he have a bad image of the US culture and not want his child brought up that way?

If you can work out what his main issues are then you and your wife can work out how you can compromise with him, reassure him or sweeten the deal a little for him so that he is more willing to give his permission. If the child visits her father (or his family) at all, it is probably best that he is on board rather than risking him not sending the child back after visitation because he does not agree with her living in the US.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think this happened to kelly preston (the actress) and she ended up losing custody of her children...

I think you need to go to family court and get a ruling from a judge that she will have sole custody of the kids and grand them to come here with her.. and like the other poster said, maybe he will change his mind:/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I have no direct experience with the immigration issues with your situation, however I do have experience with a bitter ex-spouse.

The first step will be to read through the full divorce decree carefully, and preferably with a family lawyer. Make sure you understand all the requirements and responsibilities that are set in the decree fully. Then, and only then, can you figure out how to proceed. Given the situation, I see the following options:

1) If the mother is granted sole custody, there may not be any need for the bio dad to consent for her immigration. There may be a notification requirement however, so check for that even if the bio dad does not have any consent rights.

2) If the bio dad's consent is required, then you can have the lawyer file for a motion to modify the divorce decree, granting the mother the right to immigrate with her child to the US. There may be location restrictions in the order that you are not aware of. You may also have to file for a modification if the bio dad is granted any visitation rights, to make sure that it is clear that the mom can move wherever she likes. OR you can do as others have suggested, and try to discuss the issue with bio dad and come to some sort of compromise.

Make absolutely sure that you follow what the divorce decree states as exactly as you can. If anything is unclear or ambiguous, err on the side of caution, and think about having the lawyer file for a clarification of the decree. In no circumstances take the child out of Mexico without checking the divorce decree for notification or consent requirements! Violating the divorce decree is a very bad idea. Consequences range from a moderate slap on the wrist from a judge, to losing custody of her child and suffering contempt of court charges (which can involve jail time, depending on how the judge is feeling that day). If you can't get the other parent to provide you with written consent that you can file with the court as evidence of agreement, then the court will rule per the divorce decree.

In any case, the absolute best option is to discuss with bio dad and get his agreement and consent. That will be the best route for all involved, even if it does mean compromising or providing some kind of "sweetener" to get him to agree.

Our Timeline (click the button!):

06/12/15 - Met online and started talking
09/25/15 - She came to the US on holidays, decided to spend a weekend to meet me in Texas.
10/02/15 - I must have done something right, since she came back the next weekend too! :whistle:

10/05/15 - Sadly, she had to return to China for work. We keep talking.
11/12/15 - I leave to visit her in Shanghai. A very beautiful city, if I do say so myself.

11/16/15 - My turn to leave for work. :(

12/10/15 - I-129F sent to USCIS lockbox.

12/16/15 - NOA1 email received.

12/21/15 - NOA1 hardcopy received.

01/21/16 - NOA2 email & text received. 36 days processing time!

01/25/16 - NOA2 hardcopy received.

02/03/16 - NVC received (date uncertain?)/GUZ # assigned

02/04/16 - Sent to Guangzhou embassy

02/07/16 - She's come to visit for CNY :dancing:

02/20/16 - Our holidays together are over *sigh*. Back to waiting...

03/11/16 - Packet 3 received.

03/13/16 - Packet 3 returned.

03/18/16 - Packet 4 received.

04/21/16 - Interview at GZ - Approved! :luv:

04/23/16 - I have to return to work...back to waiting for her visa to arrive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Option 4: Can anyone out there give me a 4th option that is viable?

Send your daughter to live in Spain with her father. Then see how long it takes him to send her back to you with permission to immigrate. :D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello! Good day! can someone show me a sample letter of consent. I'm already married to a US citizen and already processing our papers. My daughter needs a consent letter from her dad,giving consent to travel and to live with me as well. Thanks! and God Bless everyone! a reply will be much appreciated :idea::idea::joy::joy:

There is no real form but the letter should have something like the following statements:

I PARENT allow my son/daughter NAME to immigrate to the United States of America and to permanently reside there. I also allow NAME to return to HOME COUNTRY to visit and then return to the US.

It should be notarized.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Send your daughter to live in Spain with her father. Then see how long it takes him to send her back to you with permission to immigrate. :D

I know that this is said in jest, but in all reality considering having the child live with her father is not a bad idea. It is an option that should be put on the table and considered as rationally as possible.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

No matter what you do, don't try that "illegal" option you were looking at.. It would make matters worse.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.