lindseyparker12

Marrying an Irish citizen... need help with the Green Card process!

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

You can get misinformation here as well, this is an example. Many people visit during the process on the VWP, I did.

Ok that's good to know. I've been reading some of that book DUB2BNA posted and it mentions that sometimes it can look suspicious because they're worried about people coming over and marrying/ coming over and staying. It's clearly not a dealbreaker for everyone though since you were fine! I get the impression that as long as you follow the rules they wouldn't hold you accountable for just visiting.

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

One crucial thing to remember: once you file the I-129F, your fiance can't visit the U.S. at all (even on tourist visa aka visa waiver program) until he is moving over, visa in hand. Doing so will void the application and you'll have to start all over again with the filing fees and starting at the back of the application queue.

100% nonsense. Maybe 110%.

Where do people come up with this?

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Ok that's good to know. I've been reading some of that book DUB2BNA posted and it mentions that sometimes it can look suspicious because they're worried about people coming over and marrying/ coming over and staying. It's clearly not a dealbreaker for everyone though since you were fine! I get the impression that as long as you follow the rules they wouldn't hold you accountable for just visiting.

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

Everyone looks suspicious to the CBP officers until they can prove to their satisfaction that they are not suspicious. That's their job - treat everyone with suspicion and assume that every foreignor that arrives on US soil is doing so with the intention of staying there illegally.

Keep yourselves watertight. Have a return ticket booked and evidence of a need to return home after the visit (in this case his studies) and there is no reason why he will be denied entry for a visit, assuming he satisfies all other criteria of VWP entry.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

I have a cr1 processing at the moment and spent 3 months over in the U.S. on the visa waiver programme. It's no issue at all, especially coming from a low risk country like Ireland. The only issue I had was because I was staying so long, they wanted to see proof I could support myself for three months. Either cash or bank statements. I had neither so they took me aside and called my wife to confirm who I was etc and had a visa processing. So actually, having a green card in process actually helped here. Bare in mind this was at LAX and they're renowned ####### there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Maybe I can help a little op. I'm Irish and my wife is a USC and we both live in Ireland. We got married in OH last year and filed our I-130 petition (spousal visa) with USCIS in December. Got our NOA1 on 17 December so the ball is rolling (however slowly)

The reason why we went spousal rather than fiancé visa when we thought about a visa many months ago? Simple, I wanted to be in a position to work as soon as I land in the US. For me the risks associated with not being able to work asap outweighed the foreseeable visa process being quicker with a fiancé visa. However, everyone has their own priorities.

Best advice I can give at this point in your visa journey is to read the guides and clearly understand the ins, outs, pros and cons of either visa and figure out what is best for you both in your own circumstances. I know you are looking into a crystal ball a bit but nothing is without risk and all you can do is make the best informed decision you can for both you and your significant other.

As regards travelling on VWP while visa application is in process, this is something I will personally test in May 2016 when my wife and I intend to travel to OH to visit her family as we have done regularly over the past 5 odd years. I am not worried about it. My intent to be able to convince the immigration and customs official that will be returning to Ireland in 2 weeks (which is true). I'll bringing what docs I can to prove this (employer letter, recent utility bills on both our names etc). This is in line with virtually everything I have read on this site.

Keep in mind point of entry when coming from Ireland is Dublin airport, not the US airport you land in. Consequently, it is mostly US and Irish citizens passing through so the risk of potential fraud is relatively low. Nevertheless, be prepared to prove to the official of your bona-fides everytime you pass through. That's my rule of thumb.

For example, when travelling to OH to get married I told the official at Dublin airport that I was travelling to get married and that my wife and I were both returning to Ireland afterwards. He asked if we both lived in Ireland and I truthfully said yes. He also asked what line of work I am in and once I truthfully answered that I was on my way. I had various documents to prove I was coming back but he never asked for any proof to my answers.

Hope this helps.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

One crucial thing to remember: once you file the I-129F, your fiance can't visit the U.S. at all (even on tourist visa aka visa waiver program) until he is moving over, visa in hand. Doing so will void the application and you'll have to start all over again with the filing fees and starting at the back of the application queue. You can, however, go visit him. I have a friend whose fiance (now husband) was a Canadian and this is what her lawyer advised.

Haha what?

Disregard what that lawyer from Canada said, he was clearly drunk on poutine.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi there. My now husband is from Dublin. He just moved here in August. However if you can view my timeline... You can see that at least for us the fiancée process went very fast. We filed at the very end of December last year and I believe the Dublin embassy received our packet early Febuary. My husband could have probably moved last March, but due to his work, he moved in August. So for us, it went fast. I know we were lucky in that our petitionwas sent to the California service center, but it doesn't always take 9 months. Additionally,my fiancé definitely visited me on the vwp after we had filed for the fiancée visa.

Edited by Seraph1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Poutine

Dish

Poutine is a Canadian dish, originating in the province of Quebec, made with french fries and cheese curds topped with a light brown gravy.

Looks interesting, is there another ingredient that makes you drunk? I am going to guess it does not pass the healthy test.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can get misinformation here as well, this is an example. Many people visit during the process on the VWP, I did.

Boiler, Did you enter on K-1 or CR-1?

I know visiting on the VWP is not a problem on CR-1. I have been told by more than one person, including a friend who JUST went through the K-1, that it's not possible on the fiance visa.

Lindsey, we decided to go spouse for a few reasons. Mainly because the K-1 is so restrictive. For my fiancé, being able to work is crucial. He does not want to move here and wait around 6-9 months after he's in the US and we are married, but before he receives work authorization. My friend's Canadian fiance tried to travel to Canada to visit family during this period. When he tried to come back in the US, he was hit with a $2k fine and told he couldn't enter the US. Example of a risk you take. They had used a lawyer who helped them out of it.

The other reason we decided against K-1 is due to the visit limitations, while waiting on the petition to be approved, that may or may not be true. He travels to the US for work every few months. Any entry into the country puts you at the mercy of the customs officer you meet at point of entry. There are no clear written statements by USCIS confirming VWP is feasible, and it's an expensive risk we're not willing to take.

I know I'm walking the conservative line when it comes to the rules but we can't afford any setbacks or misinformation.

I would hug the person who could show me in writing where USCIS confirms VWP on the K-1 visa is approved.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The other reason we decided against K-1 is due to the visit limitations, while waiting on the petition to be approved, that may or may not be true. He travels to the US for work every few months. Any entry into the country puts you at the mercy of the customs officer you meet at point of entry. There are no clear written statements by USCIS confirming VWP is feasible, and it's an expensive risk we're not willing to take.

I know I'm walking the conservative line when it comes to the rules but we can't afford any setbacks or misinformation.

I would hug the person who could show me in writing where USCIS confirms VWP on the K-1 visa is approved.

As others have rightly pointed out, this notion of "visit limitations" while a K1 petition is pending is nothing more than pure baloney. You make your own decisions but don't needlessly scare others with this incorrect information.

The reason why you won't see any clear written statements from USCIS about visiting while petitions are pending is they have nothing to do with border control. Immigration entry inspection into the US is the exclusive purview of US Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

**Moderator hat on**

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum. Topic now involves discussion regarding two different paths.***

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

I know visiting on the VWP is not a problem on CR-1. I have been told by more than one person, including a friend who JUST went through the K-1, that it's not possible on the fiance visa.

Lindsey, we decided to go spouse for a few reasons. Mainly because the K-1 is so restrictive. For my fiancé, being able to work is crucial. He does not want to move here and wait around 6-9 months after he's in the US and we are married, but before he receives work authorization. My friend's Canadian fiance tried to travel to Canada to visit family during this period. When he tried to come back in the US, he was hit with a $2k fine and told he couldn't enter the US. Example of a risk you take. They had used a lawyer who helped them out of it.

Get ready to hug Boiler. It was a K-1 visa and anyone can show you that visits are permitted but I'm sure Boiler will happily tell you about it.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Those friends are wrong. The lawyer is wrong too.

You need to head on over to the Yes, you can visit thread that has been going strong for years. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/ There is absolutely nothing preventing a person from visiting on the VWP while a K1 or a CR1 is pending provided you have proof of returning home. The CBP's own website freely admits this, with the provision the person may be more scrutinized (of which I suspect it is no more than when they are scrutinized by saying they are in a relationship with a USC to begin with) and the CBP has demonstrated numerous times through the hundreds of accounts here, it rarely becomes a problem.. no more a problem than it would be on any regular day. Do some persons get turned back? I'm sure. But so they do on any other day too. So while you don't want to have misinformation, you're providing misinformation here. There's been many a fiancé terrified of visiting while this process is ongoing and have thought it not possible - but it's simply not true. I've many friends here from a lot harder countries than IRE visit while a K1 in progress just fine. The USCIS has nothing to do with the CBP, so you will never see a peep from them regarding confirmation.

I'm sorry that the fear of this has pushed you away from seeking a K1, but even if the fiancé was turned back it would not affect the K1 either.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Your friend's Canadian fiance travelled to Canada while waiting to receive his AP/EAD authorization? It's quite common knowledge that if you leave the country without advanced parole, your application will be considered abandoned and you will need to start over with the spousal visa.

I believe it usually takes about 3 months to receive the travel and work authorization.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

At the end of the day its up to you which way you want to progress, K-1 or CR-1, whichever suits you both the best

But the main point is nether are quick, K-1 is quicker by a couple of months to get your partner to the USA but then you have to get married and adjust, there is more faffing about to do Stateside

Or you get married first and apply straight away

I did it the 2nd route, got married in Chicago on an ESTA, returned to the UK and carried on working, I visited on an ESTA till my Visa came

Which ever way you chose the advice on here is good, ignore the scare stories, there will always be someone who has a hopeless case and blames the Immigration service lol

Good luck with your journey

edit removed swear word lol

Edited by DJ6372

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am getting a Hug!

:wow:

For the newbies if you look on the left where you see the persons posting name it shows below what visa type they applied for.

Also if you go on to say the London Consulate web site it says who is eligible to use the VWP and who is not, and K1 etc is not an exclusion.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.