adonian

received letter for interview after RFE Should we worry?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok, my wife and I just had our 3 year anniversairy on Monday, today we get the letter in the mail that my evidence isn't good enough and we have an interview in January.

We do NOT have children yet, we do not have auto insurance since she does not drive, nor do we have a mortgage since we live with my parents. I was divorced prior and money is tight so we have to live with parents.

####### does this government think we NEED to have kids. I do not believe in "anchor babies" We have planned to start having our kids next year once she has a better job with insurance.

My questions are these:

Her passport is expired, we were hoping to have her ROC done so she could get citizenship, thus get an American passport. Will they have a fit if we bring her expired passport? or Do we need to take time off work and drive to Los Angeles to go to the Consulate to get an expedited passport?

Will it help if we get more people in my family to write letters stating they know us and our marriage is real? Do these letter NEED to be notarized?

I have already given them bank statement and last years tax returns and pic of us together at all our family functions. My children love her, hell my exwife likes her and so does her family.

I have lots of new pictures, should I bring them? or is it a waste of time and ink?

This government is letting terrorists into the country but they want to interview me and my wife #######?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You failed to understand the requirements. Nothing there about babies. You should submit evidence of lives lived together since . That would be financial comingling (things such as joint bank & credit accounts, rental agreements, utility bills etc.), mail addressed to the both of you, having each other as life insurance beneficiaries, drivers licenses / state ID's showing the same address, evidence of travel together, photos of the 2 of you with family and friends during holidays, social gatherings, etc.

Submit copies of all tax returns filed since marriage, joint bank account statements covering your time as a married couple. If you don't have a rental agreement with your parents then have your folks give you a signed statement that you two have lived there for xx years. Affidavits from friends really aren't good evidence. No one ever submits a bad one. These things don't have to be notarized, just signed.

Every couple is different. Collect what you do have and bring it to the interview. Not a big deal.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

room contract is good idea

gave all required evidence as in letter, they did say birth cert. so dont say they didn't. they did request care insurance together, and car loan which we do NOT HAVE.

provided tax returns, bank statements, signed letters from family stating they know us and how long we are married.

parents gave letter that we live there, got interview letter today saying its not good enough.

Gonna go to bank and have them print statements for the last 3 years, I dont have enough paper or ink for that ;)

If I make a WILL today will they think I am just playing the system?

Appreciate input ;)

Edited by adonian

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

We had to go to an AOS interview. It was painless.

No worries - just go, bring everything you have, describe your life together, and you'll be fine. Bring one of your parents if you can. It would be better to do that than make up a lease agreement. You do that and you're not paying rent and interviewer asks for evidence that you are and you can't provide it then you're in trouble, because that would be considered a false statement. Nobody should advise you to do that.

Lots of couples struggle in the early days and the best approach to an interview is to bring whatever and whoever it takes to convince an interviewer that what you are telling them is true.

NOTE: You need to get some kind of ID for that girl and you should make sure that you keep her passport and other things like that current. She can't drive - that's common, but she depends on you. Our interviewer checked our bank cards, credit cards, checkbook, her ID, my ID (same address), took a look at my health insurance card with the list of names and compared our keys. Yep, took the house keys from each of us and compared them.

Smart dude.

I brought my lease but she wasn't on it? The place we lived required a credit record and the apt manager was assy about it.

But we had a he/she set of all of those things in our wallets and popped them out. I can add a name to my bank account anytime BUT a checkbook full of checks with two names seemed to be better than a bank statement with two names. A set of debit cards with two names also seemed to be better than a bank statement with two names. Our credit cards just happened to have identical numbers. Dude actually copied them. I told him I better not see any Ebay purchases on those cards - he thought that was funny. But to him I guess that was good enough evidence because I got the approval email notification that afternoon.

There is no excuse, given that the date is not exactly a secret, to let your wife's passport expire. I see that, it looks and sounds bad. That's just me.

Good luck.

Edited by Expat1

We had to go to an AOS interview. It was painless.

BTW, everyone has to do an AOS interview. :)

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

room contract is good idea

gave all required evidence as in letter, they did say birth cert. so dont say they didn't. they did request care insurance together, and car loan which we do NOT HAVE.

provided tax returns, bank statements, signed letters from family stating they know us and how long we are married.

parents gave letter that we live there, got interview letter today saying its not good enough.

Gonna go to bank and have them print statements for the last 3 years, I dont have enough paper or ink for that ;)

If I make a WILL today will they think I am just playing the system?

Appreciate input ;)

Yes doing wills and medical powers of attorney would be good to add. If they ask, well you didn't realize those things were important but after doing research you since have right? Check your state to see if you can do them cheap or free

Get all those bank statements.

I would think paper and ink would be a priority at this time. LOL Sometimes banks charge for statements... I guess you'll have to see which is cheaper...

How formal was the letter from your parents? Do you pay rent or room/board? Do you have health insurance? Is your wife the beneficiary of your life insurance? Why not add her to the title of the car if you have one? It doesn't matter if she doesn't drive. Does she have ID that matches ID you have to show you reside at the same place?

Bring all the photos you have, especially with friends and family.

Have you taken any trips together?

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Yes doing wills and medical powers of attorney would be good to add. If they ask, well you didn't realize those things were important but after doing research you since have right? Check your state to see if you can do them cheap or free

Get all those bank statements.

I would think paper and ink would be a priority at this time. LOL Sometimes banks charge for statements... I guess you'll have to see which is cheaper...

How formal was the letter from your parents? Do you pay rent or room/board? Do you have health insurance? Is your wife the beneficiary of your life insurance? Why not add her to the title of the car if you have one? It doesn't matter if she doesn't drive. Does she have ID that matches ID you have to show you reside at the same place?

Bring all the photos you have, especially with friends and family.

Have you taken any trips together?

How are wills and medical powers and attorneys are obtained? thru a lawyer?

A lawyer, online, sometimes hand written are accepted. Depends on the state.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Gonna try to get DPOA and Will done by next week. Gotta get her passport renewed and expedited.

I'm gonna bring both parents with us if they'll let us.

I've already given:

Tax returns

Bank statement

Copies of medical cards

Dozens of pictures with me,her,my kids and parents my family friends. My family and us in Vegas etc.

her work provides life ins with both names for beneficiaries.

My 401k with her as beneficiary. And more.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

monthly things arrive in mail or are printable from an online account? provide complete copies of all monthly things, from marriage date until yesterday.

things with joint names:

1.. cell phone bill

2. bank statements

3. utility bills

4. medical insurance bill

5. life insurance bill

Then yearly things:

1. income tax return

2. car registration renewal

optional, but gettable:

1. payable upon/on death instructions from all bank accounts

2. wills

3. letters of attestation from folk that know the two of you.

it sounds like you not submit 24 months of monthly things when you first threw in the ROC packet.

as to the interview - ROC interviews are normal, don't sweat the fact you two will have one - sweat the fact of generating monthly evidence of financial co-mingling as that's the most heavily weighed evidence that USCIS will adjudicate.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Ok, my wife and I just had our 3 year anniversairy on Monday, today we get the letter in the mail that my evidence isn't good enough and we have an interview in January.

We do NOT have children yet, we do not have auto insurance since she does not drive, nor do we have a mortgage since we live with my parents. I was divorced prior and money is tight so we have to live with parents.

####### does this government think we NEED to have kids. I do not believe in "anchor babies" We have planned to start having our kids next year once she has a better job with insurance.

My questions are these:

Her passport is expired, we were hoping to have her ROC done so she could get citizenship, thus get an American passport. Will they have a ###### fit if we bring her expired passport? or Do we need to take time off work and drive to Los Angeles to go to the Consulate to get an expedited passport?

Will it help if we get more people in my family to write letters stating they know us and our marriage is real? Do these letter NEED to be notarized?

I have already given them bank statement and last years tax returns and pic of us together at all our family functions. My children love her, hell my exwife likes her and so does her family.

I have lots of new pictures, should I bring them? or is it a waste of time and ink?

This government is letting terrorists into the country but they want to interview me and my wife #######?

um no one said you had to have a baby for evidence!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.