terri_blake

Exhausted but Hopeful

58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Still think it most likely the unknown woman was the mother.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yeah, legal limits of step parents in the US are very low. Without a power of attorney from a LEGAL gaurdian, you can't make medical calls or anything of that nature. Some places won't even give power of attorney to step parents without the courts looking into it because the step parents are technically NOT suppose to have any legal rights to the children until they adopt them and the only way to adopt them is to have BOTH biological parents agree, and one has to give up their legal rights to the child.

"The ability of a stepparent to make decisions on behalf of a stepchild is limited. Unless a stepparent has legally adopted a stepchild, he or she will have no legal right to make legal and medical decisions on behalf of their stepchild. That would mean that you have no right to make a decision on what school he or she attends, or does not attend, or health and medical decisions on their behalf, even if the stepchild wanted you to be involved in the decision making, such as accompanying them to a doctor’s appointment, etc. Your opinions and decisions cannot overrule the rights of a natural parent or guardian to make choices for their children. This is often frustrating when there is a natural bond and affection that exists between a stepparent and a stepchild, and the stepparent is at home with the child on a regular basis while the natural parent or guardian is at work.

A stepparent owes a stepchild the same “duty of care” in their home as any child visiting. This is true in an emergency situation as well. How you are expected to behave depends upon the facts and circumstances surrounding an event, but the stepparent still cannot give legal authorization for treatment of a stepchild at a hospital or other medical facility. Only the natural parent(s) or legal guardian(s) can consent."

When people say "What happens if the girl gets sick" Yeah. She may be able to care for her at home, but if something dire happens they'll need to contact the actual parents. One of the first things my fiance talked about was his rights towards my daughter who is not biologically his. It's important to know what you can and can't do, even if you're just watching a person under the age of 18.

Is there any reason why the girl isn't staying with her blood relatives who can act on her behalf while she's in the states? And again, if she wants to attend school, she can but she needs someone who is her LEGAL gaurdian to register her.

http://family-law.freeadvice.com/family-law/child_custody/stepparent-rights-legal-decisions-for-stepchild.htm

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think his Sisters are in the US

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yeah but I don't believe aunts have legal rights. The only people who do, at least in the US, are the biological parents or a person that is appointed by the courts as a legal gaurdian. Generally speaking, you never have more than two unless you give a power of attorney to make someone a gaurdian but not all states allow that and some only allow a 4-6 month maximum as it can step on peoples toes.

If the girl got hurt or anything like that, they will need to be able to get in contact with the parents, or at least one of them.

I'd personally try to have a plan as to what to do if for some reason she doesn't leave, or if something happens that you have no power over. Shoot, I make these plans when my mom watches my daughter and she lives 25 minutes away.

It'd be awful for something to happen, but then more questions get raised by officials. The situation already seems awkward, but if you put it infront of people who are already skeptical, it's just going to be a really bad situation.

School age is also vague, you're of school age anywhere between 5-17, but the younger she is, the more red flags will spawn.

You definitely need to get your ducks in a row and make a game plan. If X happens, what will you do? A time line as to when she'll go back? What to do if she doesn't go back? Talk to HER family members, talk to YOUR family members, get their opinions. This situation could put both of you in a lot of trouble simply by the discretion of an official who thinks this is shady.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

well I went back and looked at some of my previous post and I did mention the little girls name which is Halah so from here on out it's not a problem to refer to her by her first name. Number one Halah being here is not illegal at all. There is no felony involved with a child traveling to another country with a guardian and with permission of her parents and guardians from her home country. American kids do it all the time. When I was little girl about 12 years old I went all the way to Germany for the summer to visit my great grandmother. Big deal!! Children are allowed to travel. Just because somebody's Egyptian doesn't mean they can't come into this country. Some of you referring to that may also be considered racist because of Canadian children come over here nobody said anything. I live near Canada so I would know. halah's entire family knows that she is here and is happy that she is here! she's been legally admitted into this country by an immigration officer at the border. She is here to spend the summer with me in Michigan. and she will be just fine. I'm still getting married to my fiance. We have taken lots and lots of pictures together. We have plenty of proof to support our relationship. Our petition has already been approved. I'm just waiting for the rest of the process to continue. By the way we are being processed at the California processing center. Some of you all are still being processed at Texas. Evidently it was meant to be because we were jumped the head of the line and send to Cali.

Edited by terri_blake

One of your earlier topics was about this child, i think. You were having serious doubts about your fiance bringing this child with him (which i assume you shared with him). Now suddenly, she shows up at the airport and gets pushed into your arms at the gate? And you take her with you? Crazy. Your naivete is frightening, and I just hope you don't get screwed in some serious and irrevocable way over all of this.

listen, I won't make the same mistakes I've made in the past on this message board. I pretty much know how to maneuver my way throughout these different discussion posts. saying im naive is your personal opinion and you have every right to feel that way. But evidently I'm not that naive if I came on to this website to open up my situation to others and ask for feedback. I admitted to having cold feet, being confused, having second thoughts etc. So I don't think that would describe me as being naive. Maybe a good word to use instead would be helpful, optimistic, or positive thinking. I've always looked at the glass as being half full and people who type things as you have usually don't see the glass at all. your glass is probably shattered somewhere in in a trash bag. why don't you go out to the dollar store and get yourself a glass bring it home wash it fill it up with cold water and have a sip.

U seem parched.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***After reviewing this thread, it will remain closed to any additional discussion. Do not restart this thread or refer to it in any future discussions.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.