McBy

My USC Husband Does Not Want to Sign I-864

135 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

OP, so sorry to hear about your troubles. Sounds like either your husband changed his mind or he's an abuser. Abuse doesn't necessarily mean physical, it can also be control. By refusing to sign the i-864, he's keeping you here illegally with no means of working and supporting yourself and he knows you won't be able to go to the authorities, no matter what he does, cause then you'll be deported. And due to the ridiculous and sexist laws of the Philippines, he's probably counting on you not filing for a divorce, and hence he has you right where he wants to...

If you do choose to go back home, how will you ever be able to re-marry in the Philippines if you file for the divorce? Is there a way to convince your husband to file, if you sign a paper saying you will not ask for support? I really hope it works out for you and your son.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

I had read in am immigration book that even if the sponsor doesn't fulfill the sponsorship requirements, then the chances of the US government actually taking the sponsor to court is slim. The cost of pursuing the case is higher than the government can recuperate and it would be treated as a civil case - not criminal. Maybe this will reassure him, but no matter what, the pain has been inflicted in the marriage anyway. He would really need to work to get that wound healed.

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I noticed in your earlier post that you mentioned that your new husband had been married and divorced before.

It's hard to find anyone who has gone through divorce who does not have some scars - and the worst ones are around continuing payments to the ex-spouse which can degrade your life to subsistence level..

I have these scars, but I have a new partner for whom I would do anything, truly anything, but I'm not your partner.

With his history, and the possibility of supporting you and your son, and a luke-warm relationship (from his side), added to previous failure, and from what I hear, the high rate of failure in US/Phillipino marriages (I could be wrong here..sorry), it looks like he is scared, and is not willing to Man up, and show his love.

Alas, this refusal will always be between you now and corrosive. It may not seem that way, but this relationship is over, and the only decent thing left for him to do is sign the divorce papers and free you.

Edited by Lauren and Kevin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you. I haven't contacted Philippine Embassy. I will later.

Sometimes, a foreign consulate within the U.S. can help to repatriate its citizens. Consult the nearest Philippines consulate. Charity organizations might help to provide some funds for your return tickets.

4/29 - I-129f Sent to TX Lockbox

4/30 - Received as per USPS tracking

5/5 - Received NOA1 thru txt and email

5/6 - Alien Registration Number Changed

5/9 - Received NOA1 by mail

5/12 - RFE

5/19 - Submitted docs for RFE

5/21 - RFE Response

6/2 - NOA2, yay!

6/7 - NOA2 hardcopy

6/12 - NVC Received, case number ok

6/13 - In Transit to Consulate

6/17 - "Ready" for interview

6/18 - Medical

7/1 - CFO Seminar

7/18 - Interview APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's a bit of tough love/truth for you:

If you husband is like "Hey, I ain't signing the paper. You can leave if you want, but I won't sign it,"

YOU SHOULD GO!

It shows he really doesn't care enough about you or your kid to risk any sort of liability. This means he truly doesn't love you (or your son) so it's best you be on your merry little way.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

There seems to be enough here to sue your husband in civil courts for the ticket home, lost wages from the past ~6 months, lawyer fees for divorce and emotional distress if he isn't willing to pay your trip home the nice way. It was reasonable for you to expect that after the wedding he would follow through with the petitions or move with you to your home country or move to a third country. There's a break in the implicit contract here because he *did* marry you but doesn't want to move back with you or help you with the adjustment of status placing involuntarily in the position of being an undocumented immigrant by no fault of your own. The natural remedy here is for him to cover all expenses from the divorce and your trip home. Emotional distress added as punitive measure.

May 29th, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 1, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 4, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 20, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment

August 6, 2015 - I-131 approved

August 6, 2015 - Your card was ordered

August 7, 2015 - I-765 approved

August 20, 2015 - EAD received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There seems to be enough here to sue your husband in civil courts for the ticket home, lost wages from the past ~6 months, lawyer fees for divorce and emotional distress if he isn't willing to pay your trip home the nice way. It was reasonable for you to expect that after the wedding he would follow through with the petitions or move with you to your home country or move to a third country. There's a break in the implicit contract here because he *did* marry you but doesn't want to move back with you or help you with the adjustment of status placing involuntarily in the position of being an undocumented immigrant by no fault of your own. The natural remedy here is for him to cover all expenses from the divorce and your trip home. Emotional distress added as punitive measure.

I like how you think. I think it's really lousy for her husband to pull a stunt like this once she gets over here with her kid. It's almost like he knows she needs him so he's going to be a _______ and try and put her in a tough position.

This is a tough one but with positive thoughts and education, you will win.

Timeline

That's some bleeding heart liberal ####### there, at one time nearly every relationship was abusive by this definition. Having power over someone could be as simple as being the person who is the money earner in the family. Domestic violence is physical abuse or verbal threats, liberals have sprinkled fairy dust and turned it into something else. I've had a sugar momma and I've been a sugar Daddy, they both have their ups and downs. If you're letting someone control you it's just as much your fault as it is theirs. There's plenty of people living a fancy life on government money, no reason to think you need someone to survive. Keep someone from leaving, now that is domestic violence.

Yeah, feminists like to broaden the meanings of words like "abuse," "violence," "rape," etc. to encompass everything they consider boorish or unfair. It's a propaganda tactic designed to make their opponents look like misogynists (since only a misogynist would support abuse, violence, etc.). There's probably a name for whatever kind of fallacy it is. Equivocation, maybe.

But a traditionalist could find fault with the USC's behavior too, since it could be construed as violating the marital promise to love and care for his spouse. It also contributes to foreigners being more reluctant to marry Americans for fear of ending up in a similar scenario, and it makes the public more likely to support further restrictions on fiancee and spousal visas, to prevent other women from ending up in this position. My fiancee too is a little concerned about the I-864 because she's heard stories of Filipinas marrying Americans in the Philippines and then being stuck there and unable to marry anyone else, when the guy turned out to be unwilling or unable to meet the support requirements. I told her that even if the guy is honorable and has a lot of money and sponsors lined up, approval is never guaranteed; they can still theoretically find, based on other factors, that the alien is likely to become a public charge. This process involves some rolls of the dice.

I guess it pays for both spouses to thoroughly research the visa requirements prior to marriage, and come to an understanding about what they both agree to do to build a life together after they are married. I don't understand why the kind of mellow, non-abusive guy described here would be willing to marry but unwilling to sign the I-864, unless he either didn't understand from the beginning what was going to be required of him in order to obtain the visa, or he changed his mind. It's kind of late for that, though.

Timeline

It's quite difficult to contact the Philippine Embassy. Sigh.

5/12 - RFE

5/21 - RFE Response

6/2 - NOA2, yay!

6/7 - NOA2 hardcopy

6/18 - Medical

7/1 - CFO Seminar

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

So sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with majority of the comments here. True love is never selfish. You have a selfish husband and it's not worth at all staying married, even more out of status. Just go back home and ensure divorce has been filed / settled. I am sure you will recover back home. God will keep you better without him, just stay strong and positive.

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What i wonder about is how is the marriage other than the husband not filing for AOS?

If the day to day interaction is good, then maybe give him time to sign? Maybe he is insecure and thinks she will run off? I am not taking sides or justifying the op's husband's actions. If the only issue is not signing and the marriage is good otherwise it may be worth waiting. Another question is does the husband make enough money to support the three of them? There are several things to consider here and it is not a cut and dried case of sign or divorce. I think a heart to heart talk between the op and her husband is in order. If he isn't happy with the marriage, he should send her home and pay for it.

Timeline

Things would be fine without the document. At this time we are on financial crisis but even if we have the funds he would not go for it. Sample, just to sign and pray and save for it then submit it when we can - he says he is not comfortable with it.

We had times when we were like in a roller coaster while adjusting. He is willing to keep me here like forever just that he doesn't even think that it is a responsibility for him to sign. Even recommended self petition for me. Really weird.

Now im just hoping that i would be able to go home before 180 days of overstay here.

What i wonder about is how is the marriage other than the husband not filing for AOS?

If the day to day interaction is good, then maybe give him time to sign? Maybe he is insecure and thinks she will run off? I am not taking sides or justifying the op's husband's actions. If the only issue is not signing and the marriage is good otherwise it may be worth waiting. Another question is does the husband make enough money to support the three of them? There are several things to consider here and it is not a cut and dried case of sign or divorce. I think a heart to heart talk between the op and her husband is in order. If he isn't happy with the marriage, he should send her home and pay for it.

5/12 - RFE

5/21 - RFE Response

6/2 - NOA2, yay!

6/7 - NOA2 hardcopy

6/18 - Medical

7/1 - CFO Seminar

Timeline

Btw, we had the chance to file for it but when he read about the i864 he wouldn't.

He said that he is going to pay for my tickets and give me some funds to start with a new life back to my home country. I am just not sure about when he would be able to have the funds when we also have other things to pay.

5/12 - RFE

5/21 - RFE Response

6/2 - NOA2, yay!

6/7 - NOA2 hardcopy

6/18 - Medical

7/1 - CFO Seminar

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There was a thread some months back started by a guy who did not wish to complete the I 864, he then came back asking about the waiver, I think a mod closed it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.