McBy

My USC Husband Does Not Want to Sign I-864

135 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am in a very difficult situation. I arrived in the USA on August 7, 2014 and got married after 10 days. I arrived with my son on K1 and K2 Visas. Our AOS has been delayed initially because of its cost but when we an already afford it February 2015, my husband read about the I-864 and would not want to sign it because of it's legal binding even if we would get divorced.

This hurts a lot and to him I do not need a green card to live here as there are many illegal immigrants here who do not get into trouble anyway. I wish to know what I can do. It is hard to be in a foreign country with nobody to run to or turn to. I got some friends but it is not as easy. My son is studying in a public school now.

Any information that may help is appreciated. Thank you.

4/29 - I-129f Sent to TX Lockbox

4/30 - Received as per USPS tracking

5/5 - Received NOA1 thru txt and email

5/6 - Alien Registration Number Changed

5/9 - Received NOA1 by mail

5/12 - RFE

5/19 - Submitted docs for RFE

5/21 - RFE Response

6/2 - NOA2, yay!

6/7 - NOA2 hardcopy

6/12 - NVC Received, case number ok

6/13 - In Transit to Consulate

6/17 - "Ready" for interview

6/18 - Medical

7/1 - CFO Seminar

7/18 - Interview APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Let's look at what his real commitment is -- if you become a citizen which you can do three years after you get the green card assuming you are still married, the I-864 obligation is terminated, so his only real risk is that you split up before then, and even then you can file on your own after five years, so it's not forever -- he may not have focused on the idea that it is not forever

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Seems like since you arrived on a k1 and you're married, he's already on the hook for the support affadavit he had to sign as a part of the K1 visa process... No? the I-134? Therefore, his logic is bad, and this is not a valid reason to not go forward... because he ALREADY has this problem

Edited by shland

K-1

09/16/2014 -- Mailed I-129F petition
09/19/2014 -- I-129F received at Texas lockbox
09/23/2014 -- NOA1
09/24/2014 -- Received text/email acceptance from USCIS
09/27/2014 -- Received hardcopy NOA1
10/09/2014 -- NOA2

10/30/2014 -- NVC assigned case number

11/03/2014 -- NVC shipped to Havana

11/10/2014 -- Interview Scheduled for 1/6/2015

11/13/2014 -- Embassy Received file - Status changed to READY

12/2014 -- Changed interview date to 2/19/2015 due to delay in getting all documents

02/19/2015 -- Interview - Visa APPROVED!

02/23/2015 -- Case status changed to ISSUED!

02/26/2015 -- Visa in hand!

03/18/2015 -- US entry in Miami

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am sure there is a lot more to this.

Seems like since you arrived on a k1 and you're married, he's already on the hook for the support affadavit he had to sign as a part of the K1 visa process... No? the I-134?

That one is meaningless.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

It's really weird. we already consulted an immigration lawyer who told him of his role. He still wouldn't sign. He is a good man except for this and I feel devastated. I am thinking of just going for the divorce and then going home. My son likes it here so I am also thinking of a way to stay. However, it would be difficult as I do not have relatives nor really close friends nearby. Part of me regrets that I moved here to marry ?.

5/12 - RFE

5/21 - RFE Response

6/2 - NOA2, yay!

6/7 - NOA2 hardcopy

6/18 - Medical

7/1 - CFO Seminar

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from AOS/Family-Based main forum to the Effects of Major Changes forum, where similar issues are discussed. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Make life a lot easier of he divorces you due to PI laws about divorce.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

What do you exactly mean?

Make life a lot easier of he divorces you due to PI laws about divorce.

5/12 - RFE

5/21 - RFE Response

6/2 - NOA2, yay!

6/7 - NOA2 hardcopy

6/18 - Medical

7/1 - CFO Seminar

Timeline

If you want to try again in the future.

Timeline

Makes a lot of sense, thank you. It's really weird. He seems to have a different mindset about it. Hoping that there is a way for us to stay after divorce, but I do not exactly know what to do. Might get harder for me and my son. So first option is to go back to our home country.

If he refuses to sign even after speaking to an immigration lawyer your best bet is to file for divorce and go on with your life. He is not the husband you would want for yourself nor the father figure you should wish for your child.

5/12 - RFE

5/21 - RFE Response

6/2 - NOA2, yay!

6/7 - NOA2 hardcopy

6/18 - Medical

7/1 - CFO Seminar

Filed: Timeline

Let's look at what his real commitment is -- if you become a citizen which you can do three years after you get the green card assuming you are still married, the I-864 obligation is terminated, so his only real risk is that you split up before then, and even then you can file on your own after five years, so it's not forever -- he may not have focused on the idea that it is not forever

Except that the sponsor cannot force the beneficiary to acquire citizenship.

However, if the sponsor has 40+ credits into social security, then after ten years of marriage the sponsor's social security credit can be used by the beneficiary and this would meet one of the requirements for discharging the I864.

Filed: Timeline

What do you exactly mean?

Boiler means that if your husband files for divorce in the US, then the PI will recognize the divorce and you will be able to receive a certificate of no marriage (or whatever it's called in PI) and marry again, especially if you return to PI.

However, if you file the divorce (ie, are the plaintiff in the divorce action), then PI will NOT recognize the divorce and you will then be left with chasing an annulment in PI in order to prove eligibility to marry.

Remaining in the US, divorced or otherwise, is not a wise choice because you will never be able to adjust your status with anyone other than the petitioner of the K1 with which you entered. This puts your young son in a predicament as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.