41 posts in this topic

Hello friends.

I am in a problematic situation and need your help.

I am an American with a foreign fiancé in Morocco.We applied for the K1 fiance visa and just received our NOA2 in January 2015. So she will have the consulate interview very soon.

The problem is, last year, while our K1 visa was pending, we took steps to get married abroad in her country Morocco. We got almost all the paper work done with the exception of generating the marriage certificate and signing it.

So basically, I'm definitely in a lot of "the books", but technically not completely married. We never finished because of the lack of time. Hence, I'm 99% married.

I did some research on this site last night and discovered this was not a good idea. I learned the foreign fiance cannot be "married" when entering the US on a k1 fiance visa. Sounds obvious in hindsight.

Also, we were planning on having a wedding "ceremony" abroad in Morocco before she comes to the states with the K1 visa.

So my question is, will this be enough cause for denial? Like I said, there is no actual marriage certificate yet.

When she has the interview with the consulate, should she just be completely truthful and tell them the situation? I.e. that we realized mid way in the process that we were making a mistake, and decided to stop short of getting "legally" married, so that we would not void our k1 visa.

There doesn't seem to be much information out there for people in my situation. I'm hoping not to have to go the route of withdrawing the k1 visa and restarting with a spousal visa.

I am forever grateful to any advice anyone could give.

Thank you!

Edited by Culino

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Telling the truth is the best action when dealing with immigration officials.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

You are either married or not.

You can not be 99% married.

Were you before someone who could legally marry you? Did you say I do?

Did you previously apply for a licence and hand it in before getting married?

What do you mean there is no marriage certificate yet?

There either is one or isn't.

Sounds like you've put yourselves in a very bad position.

My advice would be to finish whatever marriage you believe this is or isn't and then apply for a spousal visa.

Edited by Cody and Daisy

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Are you legally married or not?

Yes, always be honest.

If they should happen to deny the K-1 because they believe you are married and ineligible, then you will need to legally marry and file for a spousal visa instead.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

You are either married or not.

You can not be 99% married.

Were you before someone who could legally marry you? Did you say I do?

Did you previously apply for a licence and hand it in before getting married?

What do you mean there is no marriage certificate yet?

There either is one or isn't.

Sounds like you've put yourselves in a very bad position.

My advice would be to finish whatever marriage you believe this is or isn't and then apply for a spousal visa.

Thank you for the quick response!

To clarify, there is no marriage certificate. We did not sign any contract saying we are married. We are not married.

All we finished was most of the paper work to get "permission" to marry. In Morocco, a foreign male needs permission from the government to get married to a Moroccan female ;)

Edited by Culino

As stated, marriage is binary. You are either married or you are not.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Thank you for the quick response!

To clarify, there is no marriage certificate. We did not sign any contract saying we are married. We are not married.

All we finished was most of the paper work to get "permission" to marry. In Morocco, a foreign male needs permission from the government to get married to a Moroccan female ;)

Question is though will this be seen as a marriage to the states?

Does not matter what technicalitys there are in Morocco because it is the states you are moving to.

You can try and be extremely honest with the CO and hope they believe you aren't married. Do not lie at all!

If you are denied on the basis that they believe you are married (and your situation has happened a lot and people are denied for this, some are denied for having pictures in wedding dresses when they just had the ceremony and not the legal wedding) then you can still just apply for the Cr1 spousal visa.

Edited by Cody and Daisy

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Begs the question why you applied for a K1?

Seems the intent was to marry first.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Begs the question why you applied for a K1?

Seems the intent was to marry first.

Great question. Like most other people on this site, our goal is to be together as soon as possible. That is why we applied for the K1 Fiance visa. Intent was to follow k1 visa modus operandi and just get married in the states.

However, her father, a traditional Moroccan father, wanted something to show for, before she left her home in Morocco. In their culture, the proper thing to do is to get married before leaving the house. I thought we would be able to just get married abroad there, and then get married the states within 90 days.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have pushed back a little bit. I did not know it would cause this serious of a problem.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you do plan on going to the K-1 interview and seeing what happens, I would definitely hold off on that "wedding ceremony" you mentioned. I realize you have family pressures weighing on you, but you're playing with fire when you do things like that, especially in non-Western countries.

Question is though will this be seen as a marriage to the states?

Does not matter what technicalitys there are in Morocco because it is the states you are moving to.

You can try and be extremely honest with the CO and hope they believe you aren't married. Do not lie at all!

If you are denied on the basis that they believe you are married (and your situation has happened a lot and people are denied for this, some are denied for having pictures in wedding dresses when they just had the ceremony and not the legal wedding) then you can still just apply for the Cr1 spousal visa.

Thank you for the reply. I guess we will see how the interview goes. We would never try to deceive anyone. We would always tell the truth. I'm just worried about repercussions of a denial.

If they deny the visa, how soon after can we get married and apply for the spousal visa?

Would it be wiser to withdraw the k1 visa now vs waiting to getting it denied?

Does getting denied risk future visa applications?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Yep you have dug a deep enough hole.

Having said that if you are not legally married unless they do some digging difficult to see where it would come up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.