Asker

Social Security Number use by other person..

47 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Talked to her today and adviced her to order her son to quit his job and not seek employment and told her never let anyone use her SSN ever again. Also asked her if there are other instances that her son might have used the number. She said just that one for work.

Thank you all for the replies.

I told her all the consequences of her actions and she was just brushing it off, my brother (her husband now) wasn't aware of this. It's only now that he knew about it. Since sister in law falsely believed that it was ok because lots of people have done and doing this, she even mentioned someone she knew who is using Uncle's SSN, she didn't mentioned it to her husband.

Now she is going to submit her Naturalization application on March 2nd, the form is completely filled out, printed and signed. I don't know why she's waiting until then when she can actually send it now. Either way, I told her there is going to be Name checks along the process, fingerprints, and a background check perhaps. She's now asking me if they will find out about her son used her SSN. And what should she do about it. That's when I told her to tell his son to quit his job immediately.

alas, there's already trails.

does she need to be a USCitizen? really?

if no, tell her to give it up, for at least 5 years.

why 5 years? maybe the 'history' won't exist after that time.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

alas, there's already trails.

does she need to be a USCitizen? really?

if no, tell her to give it up, for at least 5 years.

why 5 years? maybe the 'history' won't exist after that time.

I was thinking that myself D. Might be better to abandon the pursuit for citizenship if there is still a fair amount of time on her gc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the replies. I went online just to atleast help her with all this, but sister-in-law doesn't even seem to be concern about it all.

-I think both are filing for taxes for this year.

-she said since her son is the one using her SSN then it's probably okay.

-told her it can be called identity theft and tax fraud, she didn't quite get it.

-reminded her that her son is an illegal alien, and it might affect him in the future.

Don't know what else to say to her, honestly. She will apply for Naturalization next month and I want to help her gwt it done smoothly so she could petition for her other kids.

How are they both filing income taxes with the same SSN? That is going to be a big problem. If they are both using the same SSN, their employers will report income under the same SSN and this will cause a huge mess...

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

It's going to bite them both in the ### ,,, she can say good bye to citizenship plus they will go to his job and arrest him and hold him in a detention unit to he has his hearing to be deported, you don't mess with the US GOVERNMENT

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Those who try to beat the system always get beaten..tisk tisk

"Too late to do anything about. Also on the argument that people are doing it - ye , they are but also they have no path and will never have a path to become legal so they don't really care"

WELL said Kzielu, period!.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The bigger problem here is #5 on your list!

#5 She's assisted in committing fraud and fraud is a crime of moral turpitude which is disqualifying for naturalization.

I agree with the general sentiment, but want to add a little detail for others facing similar issues:

1- There's a difference between committing fraud, helping someone commit fraud, and conspiring to commit fraud... the legal distinctions are important.

2- Committing fraud can be disqualifying for a given naturalization application at a given time, but is not a permanent bar to naturalization. Eventually, the statutory period expires and the applicant becomes eligible once again.

Here's the difference between conditional and permanent bars:

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartF.html

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

I know, I told her she shouldn't have done that but she only said it's just for records for her son's employment. And apparently, according to her, people are doing this all the time ???

People are doing at all the times it does not mean set a precedent and all people are allowed to do that now. If they got caught then they are in trouble. It is almost same excuses with drug dealers. Many of them do that because they have seen people got away from doing that. It breaks law. And after they got caught and then suddenly they made up many excuses.

She should have listened to you.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Timeline

I think she should continue to try and get her citizenship with the help of an atty,

however she should have her son cease from using her SS # luckily they have not

been caught yet....does she work? I worked on a job where a young man work nights

he was obviously using his cousin info who work days, after 2 yrs INS back then

showed up to Admin. HR got his file and questioned him if he ever slept, how can he

work around the clock 5 days, they took him away. Obviously someone in SS security

notice this strange activity and brought it to INS attention. These things can bite later

so stop it now, a male working in a female SS #. l know ppl get popped with altered

visa page install fraudulently in their PP not knowing the visas have codes for males

or females. I think with an atty she can apply though. But OP that is fraud and illegal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I'd like to add what happened to me about the ssn. When I was born they mistakenly gave me someone else ssn , didn't think that could Happen yea I know. I am 27 and social security office only realized it when I was 25 because the woman that had it died . I filed my taxes ever since I was 18 and nothing showed up . I went to file my taxes when I was 24 and they said sorry this social is assigned to someone dead .. What! I went to the social security office because I just thought they did something wrong in their system . Only to find that it was given to two babies at birth me and another woman her name was close to mine we had the same birthdates and our mothers first and last name were R J so I think someone just assumed it was the same person . So what did I get ?! A new social :) with all my debt cleared.. But the point in me saying this was i went to work with a valid ID and nothing showed up to my employer . She was working in New York city the same time I was working and filing taxes the same time as I was and still nothing flagged anything down until she died . So this is only for the point about the employer should have done research . Well their system can only go so far im assuming and yes it's possible for two people under the same social to file income tax with no issue and work in two different cities with no issue and to buy things live under the same social . I have no idea how this social security thing works ! Even when I flies my taxes all those year her income did not come up once! Not her address nothing!

Once again this is just referring to the comments about how they can both files taxes and about the employer not knowing..

Edited by ItsGonnaBeWorthIt

USCIS : 7 months
Marriage : March 21, 2014
I-130 Sent : April 18, 2014
I-130 NOA1 : April 22, 2014
I-130 Approved: November 14, 2014 
after two service request

NVC6 months
Received : December 1, 2014
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : January 1, 2015
Pay AOS Bill : January 9, 2015
Submit DS-261 : January 7, 2015
Receive IV Bill : January 15, 2015 
called after AOS showed paid, they released it overnight)
Pay IV Bill : January 23, 2015
Send IV and AOS: January 29, 2015
Scan date: February 3, 2015
Checklist: March 19, 2015
 (only need to send south Africa police report)
Case Complete: June 3, 2015 

EMBASSY: 10 months
Interview appointment letter : December 4, 2015
Interview Date : January 21, 2016 
medical wasn't complete
Second interview date: April 4th 2016
Interview Result :APPROVED!!!

Visa Received : 4/13/2016 ( they sent us a email stating our visa was ready for pick up)

USA LIFE
US Entry :4/29/2016 
Social Security : 5/10/2016 (filed from the actual office)
State ID: 5/14/2016
Started working!!: 5/25/2016
Finally paid green card fee: 6/24/2016 ( note said we will receive it within 60 days)
Green card in hand: 7/5/2016 10 year green card we done!! 

1st king born: 6/30/2016

April 2017 update: Marriage still going strong, baby boy getting bigger. Life is good 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I'd like to add what happened to me about the ssn. When I was born they mistakenly gave me someone else ssn , didn't think that could Happen yea I know. I am 27 and social security office only realized it when I was 25 because the woman that had it died . I filed my taxes ever since I was 18 and nothing showed up . I went to file my taxes when I was 24 and they said sorry this social is assigned to someone dead .. What! I went to the social security office because I just thought they did something wrong in their system . Only to find that it was given to two babies at birth me and another woman her name was close to mine we had the same birthdates and our mothers first and last name were R J so I think someone just assumed it was the same person . So what did I get ?! A new social :) with all my debt cleared.. But the point in me saying this was i went to work with a valid ID and nothing showed up to my employer . She was working in New York city the same time I was working and filing taxes the same time as I was and still nothing flagged anything down until she died . So this is only for the point about the employer should have done research . Well their system can only go so far im assuming and yes it's possible for two people under the same social to file income tax with no issue and work in two different cities with no issue and to buy things live under the same social . I have no idea how this social security thing works ! Even when I flies my taxes all those year her income did not come up once! Not her address nothing!

Once again this is just referring to the comments about how they can both files taxes and about the employer not knowing..

This social security thing is royally screwed up, no wonder it is going bankrupt.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

This social security thing is royally screwed up, no wonder it is going bankrupt.

Yea something sure isn't right!

Edited by ItsGonnaBeWorthIt

USCIS : 7 months
Marriage : March 21, 2014
I-130 Sent : April 18, 2014
I-130 NOA1 : April 22, 2014
I-130 Approved: November 14, 2014 
after two service request

NVC6 months
Received : December 1, 2014
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : January 1, 2015
Pay AOS Bill : January 9, 2015
Submit DS-261 : January 7, 2015
Receive IV Bill : January 15, 2015 
called after AOS showed paid, they released it overnight)
Pay IV Bill : January 23, 2015
Send IV and AOS: January 29, 2015
Scan date: February 3, 2015
Checklist: March 19, 2015
 (only need to send south Africa police report)
Case Complete: June 3, 2015 

EMBASSY: 10 months
Interview appointment letter : December 4, 2015
Interview Date : January 21, 2016 
medical wasn't complete
Second interview date: April 4th 2016
Interview Result :APPROVED!!!

Visa Received : 4/13/2016 ( they sent us a email stating our visa was ready for pick up)

USA LIFE
US Entry :4/29/2016 
Social Security : 5/10/2016 (filed from the actual office)
State ID: 5/14/2016
Started working!!: 5/25/2016
Finally paid green card fee: 6/24/2016 ( note said we will receive it within 60 days)
Green card in hand: 7/5/2016 10 year green card we done!! 

1st king born: 6/30/2016

April 2017 update: Marriage still going strong, baby boy getting bigger. Life is good 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why did he not get his own SSN through DACA?

I thought most people just made them up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone, did not expect this amount of info/help this got. Thank you.

I will go talk to her on saturday and ask more information about her situation. I was only asked by my brother to help her with the Naturalization form. I did not know it's all messed up like this.

- my sister in law wanted to pursue the naturalization process because she has 2 other kids she wants to petition. 1 is 19, before kid A turns 21 hence she needs to apply for citizenship. That's the extent of my knowledge.

I will need to acquire more info from her and will update if there are more to it.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Thanks everyone, did not expect this amount of info/help this got. Thank you.

I will go talk to her on saturday and ask more information about her situation. I was only asked by my brother to help her with the Naturalization form. I did not know it's all messed up like this.

- my sister in law wanted to pursue the naturalization process because she has 2 other kids she wants to petition. 1 is 19, before kid A turns 21 hence she needs to apply for citizenship. That's the extent of my knowledge.

I will need to acquire more info from her and will update if there are more to it.

Too late; cut-off for a kid gaining citizenship through naturalizing parent is 18: http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/citizenship-children-naturalized-citizens.htmland http://blog.tranlawassociates.com/2013/01/18/child-citizenship-act-derivative-citizenship-parents-naturalization/

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Waiting to petition makes no sense.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.