Asker

Social Security Number use by other person..

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am helping my sister in law in her naturalization process. She's done with the form and going to send it next month on the 1st. I don't know if this will affect her application, but she just told me that her son is using her SSN for work. Her son doesn't have papers meaning he's an illegal alien. But working now at a resto and used her SSN. This son is an adult 21+ from her previous marriage.

I know it's illegal to use someone else's SSN for any purposes. But will this come up on her application? From what she told me her son has been using her SSN for a year in his employment. Any thoughts?

I am helping my sister in law in her naturalization process. She's done with the form and going to send it next month on the 1st. I don't know if this will affect her application, but she just told me that her son is using her SSN for work. Her son doesn't have papers meaning he's an illegal alien. But working now at a resto and used her SSN. This son is an adult 21+ from her previous marriage.

I know it's illegal to use someone else's SSN for any purposes. But will this come up on her application? From what she told me her son has been using her SSN for a year in his employment. Any thoughts?

I just want to know if she should go on ahead with her Naturalization application (will the background check, biometrics, know the SS number situation?) Or she should first straighten out the issue? What type of lawyer will she need if ever needed one?

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I know, I told her she shouldn't have done that but she only said it's just for records for her son's employment. And apparently, according to her, people are doing this all the time ???

It is done all the time, but that doesn't mean it is okay.

Unless her son is being paid entirely under the table--which is unlikely since the employer wanted a social security number--that employer is now paying taxes with that SSN; there will be records of federal, state, medicare taxes paid associated with that social at this job. I wonder if they are filing taxes...

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Because this isn't some random person doing this but a scheme by the family she will look like she is getting credit for work she did not do and would qualify for benefits based on this fraud.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I know, I told her she shouldn't have done that but she only said it's just for records for her son's employment. And apparently, according to her, people are doing this all the time ???

If I am not mistaken, it is a felony and if not - there are _criminal_ charges for doing it . Now, he will never be able to get US citizenship as he falsely claimed being a US citizen.

It will come up during her naturalization process for sure.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I went online just to atleast help her with all this, but sister-in-law doesn't even seem to be concern about it all.

-I think both are filing for taxes for this year.

-she said since her son is the one using her SSN then it's probably okay.

-told her it can be called identity theft and tax fraud, she didn't quite get it.

-reminded her that her son is an illegal alien, and it might affect him in the future.

Don't know what else to say to her, honestly. She will apply for Naturalization next month and I want to help her gwt it done smoothly so she could petition for her other kids.

VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Thanks for that. I know it's wrong doing it, that is why I'm trying anything to help my sister-in-law as much as I can so what was done can be corrected or atleast amended. I for one don't encourage any illegal fraudulent acts. So I just can't ignore it, I want to help her and make her understand that. Thank you.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

If I am not mistaken, it is a felony and if not - there are _criminal_ charges for doing it . Now, he will never be able to get US citizenship as he falsely claimed being a US citizen.

It will come up during her naturalization process for sure.

It is definitely a felony and definitely a huge deal: http://cis.org/IdentityTheftHowever, I don't see evidence that anybody has yet claimed to be a US citizen when they weren't, which is as you said is a likely permanent ban to citizenship had it been claimed.

Asker's sister in law might end up falling through the cracks and get through without issue. I have no idea. I don't understand why people can be so nonchalant about it as he says she is, though. It is a felony and unbelievably easy to track down, too, should anybody in law enforcement bother to try.

Here is how I think it could go badly:

1) USCIS during naturalization review checks her social for all employment history

2) They find that the social was used at a job she didn't claim on her N-400 to have worked at

3) They call that employer and/or ask her further about it and they immediately figure out her social was used at a different job

4) Now they dig deeper to determine whether she knowingly let her social be used or whether it was stolen and used.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

This will NOT go well for her. Period. Additionally her son could be in trouble using another persons social.You cannot screw around with things like this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

This was a really bad idea and she is naive if she thought it wouldn't have consequences.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.