Ugly_American

Lying during naturalization interview - any consequences?

85 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So my wife lied during her naturalization interview (i-751) a few weeks ago. I wasn't there, but she left her skype account open on the iPad and I read about her concern over this fact in a conversation she was having with the guy (one of the guys) she's cheated on me with.

I know the USCIS agent's ID who interviewed ber so I can report it directly to the correct person.

I believe her lie related to our marriage status. We seperated on Dec 10. I'm certain she was asked and did not truthfully disclose the status of our marriage. From what i've read, it's not a huge deal for people this far along in the naturalization process to be divorced or seperated, but lying under oath during the interview is a big problem. She's lied so much to me and my family that I have no problem throwing her under the bus.

My question is if I report this and she gets deported what happens to my son? Would he stay in the US with me? Is there a chance that she would still be able to stay here?

Ever since she began insisting on a divorce she has also been telling me how she will be going for physical custody. I have been the primary care giver but judges usually side with the mother in cases with children this young. I will do anything to maintain as much custody as possible over my son and if she has to leave the country I'm fine with that. I know that if I don't report it and she does get major custody I will regret not having persued this.

For the record she also cheated on the interview for the $90k/yr job she just got.

Please advise. I know a 2 year old also needs his mother, but I know our son is better off living with me. And this would likely reduce the anticipated costly legal expences we'll be facing with a custody battle.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

By the way I did take a photo of her skype conversation which would serve as proof that she knew she was knowingly lying to the Interviewer.

Well really difficult to prove in a court. You can try to report. Everyone can create those pics. Do you know how many people got citizenship revoked? Almost no one. By the way, was it 751 or n400?

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Timewise, she seems to be going for naturalisation based on 3 years of marriage to a US citizen, so yes, lying about your separation is a big deal.

As to your son, you'd need to file for custody. Generally, the courts don't like a child to leave the country, but they'll take into account your and her relationship with the child.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Agree it is a big deal - during my interview (based on 3 years marriage) I was very specifically asked whether we ever separated - for a reason. Separation will most likely mean a denial. I would go ahead and report it, she will not be able to take your son out of US without your permission (I believe - but better talk to lawyer about it).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are willing to throw her under the bus.. report.

That about it, and start the process now.

The longer you wait the longer USCIS will consider your a disgruntled husband in the midst of a divorce.

I doubt your wife is going to try to leave the USA, I assume she is a nurse and can find work easily here.

Have you contacted a lawyer (who specialize in Divorce)?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm sorry to read this. Well, it is sad. OK she lied and cheated. That also involves your child due to a eventual break up of family. You know it hurts. I WOULD TOO.. Go see a Divorce Attorney and simply ask for Joint Custody. The Child is always a part of your life. Yes, you can turn her in but I see No Avail to that since it would be in hatred. Ask her to leave and stay with her Boyfriend while you finish Divorce proceedings. Chances are the Boyfriend won't want her anyway. Think of the Child. Think of yourself and never loose care for her as well as the childs Mother. Hard Decisions ONLY you can make.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I will start with the child DNA test ,once a cheater always a cheater,then think about divorce and custody.Regarding Uscis show them asap about what she lied under oath.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: Timeline

So my wife lied during her naturalization interview (i-751) a few weeks ago. I wasn't there, but she left her skype account open on the iPad and I read about her concern over this fact in a conversation she was having with the guy (one of the guys) she's cheated on me with.

I know the USCIS agent's ID who interviewed ber so I can report it directly to the correct person.

I believe her lie related to our marriage status. We seperated on Dec 10. I'm certain she was asked and did not truthfully disclose the status of our marriage. From what i've read, it's not a huge deal for people this far along in the naturalization process to be divorced or seperated, but lying under oath during the interview is a big problem. She's lied so much to me and my family that I have no problem throwing her under the bus.

My question is if I report this and she gets deported what happens to my son? Would he stay in the US with me? Is there a chance that she would still be able to stay here?

Ever since she began insisting on a divorce she has also been telling me how she will be going for physical custody. I have been the primary care giver but judges usually side with the mother in cases with children this young. I will do anything to maintain as much custody as possible over my son and if she has to leave the country I'm fine with that. I know that if I don't report it and she does get major custody I will regret not having persued this.

For the record she also cheated on the interview for the $90k/yr job she just got.

Please advise. I know a 2 year old also needs his mother, but I know our son is better off living with me. And this would likely reduce the anticipated costly legal expences we'll be facing with a custody battle.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but when someone gets asked about the status of their marriage, that means legal status. Meaning, if you 2 are still legally married, that's what matters. I assume you 2 still are since you had access to her computer and there wasn't a custody decision yet.

She's a nurse making $90k/yr?

Edited by melanieuk

A country of Immigrants, that hates new Immigrants... Maybe if education was a right and NOT a luxury, it would be different.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but when someone gets asked about the status of their marriage, that means legal status. Meaning, if you 2 are still legally married, that's what matters. I assume you 2 still are since you had access to her computer and there wasn't a custody decision yet.

She's a nurse making $90k/yr?

Separated is a legal status of marriage and needs to be declared in regards to immigration procedures.

Filed: Timeline

Separated is a legal status of marriage and needs to be declared in regards to immigration procedures.

But legally, they are still married and she could easily argue they are working things out.

Edited by melanieuk

A country of Immigrants, that hates new Immigrants... Maybe if education was a right and NOT a luxury, it would be different.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I have read your other threads here regarding your situation as well and I'm sorry to hear the troubles you are going through. That being said, there is a child involved and it sounds to me that you are spending far too much time and energy trying to hurt or get even with this woman, the Mother of your child. Do you not think that hurting her will not also eventually hurt your child? If I were you, as hard as it may be, I would suck it up and do what is best for my child. Let the past be the past and let your child have the best possible future.

Hopefully he is thinking about the child. I've read none of his other posts.

If I was getting a divorce from a woman who had cheated on me with multiple guys I would want full custody. That is best for the child; a mom who is doing this is not demonstrating any kind of good moral character at all (I bet she didn't volunteer her history of infidelity at her meeting, either) and if the father is otherwise a decent person I'd rather see the kid go to him.

What could in theory happen is she is deported and loses access, similar to this case:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2012/03/12/north-carolina-child-welfare-officials-want-deported-father-stripped-parental/

As mentioned above if she already took her oath it's much harder to remove citizenship, but some stat I read earlier today said around 10-15% of applications for naturalization are denied, so it's definitely quite common.

IF this person has cheated multiple times on her husband and IF she has lied about still being married, despite marriage being the necessity of her application, it would definitely not bode well for her approval.

But legally, they are still married and she could easily argue that they are working things out.
That might be true. It's too bad they didn't get the divorce done already. On this guy's behalf I hope a multiple-cheating wife doesn't get full custody of his child. Edited by ExPatty

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.