TimClevenger

Can I live in Indonesia during the I-129F process?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

1. Then there is no explanation why people who submitted their petition 3 weeks after I did are already being approved. Their petitions were received on Aug 22 at the same service center. So, either they have chosen to send those petitions unfairly before mine, or they have found something that has raised questions.

2. I believe my package was complete, but I'm no immigration attorney. I had a consultant, but couldn't afford him for long. Your comment sounds logical, I hope you're right, just hope I can figure out the next step.

It's not my fault I can't find a permanent job. I have done anything and everything I can . . even job I am unqualified and/or incapable of doing. Looking back I realize this was a bad decision. I don't belong in America any more than than the Europeans did when the Mayflower accidentally drifted into this rock. The question for me is, will my relationship of 5 years last for the next 2 years while we play jump through the hoop with the US?

My only goal now is to find a way to help my sick fiance in Indonesia and somehow keep our relationship in tact.

You need to be specific as to why you can't find a job in the US. Sorry, but it is not impossible as you claim. There are jobs out there. Maybe not the ones you want at a particular time, but indeed there is stuff available. Where are you looking for jobs? Some markets are better than others; you may need to think about changing careers or moving to a better market.

In terms of bringing your finance to the US, eventually you will need to find a job, as it is practically a requirement to live in the US unless you have disability/residual income, receive financial aid, or have someone gifting you money or supporting you. How do you expect this to work when your fiance comes? I suggest you think long and hard about finding employment before briniging your fiance to the states. Life is hard enough as it is. Don't feel so down. Sometimes it takes months, or even a year to find something professional.

Edited by msbau764

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Yes . . I see the financial support being an issue, but I see it as an issue anyway. I am unable to find a permanent job in the US. So I will need a co-sponsor anyway. Additionally, this process may take up to 2 years and I doubt any relationship would last that long without contact. How do other couples deal with the time and distance?

The US embassy in Jakarta is one of the easiest ones. Sometimes they accepted co-sponsor but other times don't. Speaking about time frame, I would say it is vary. Mine only took less than five months - my husband and I even delayed it because our hectic schedules-.

My husband and I had been in courtship over 5 years before he filed I-129F. So, distance is not a problem at all as long as you and your fiancée are communicate everyday. We spent hours of talking and video calling on Skype everyday even when I worked, at home, or anywhere. I would suggested to use Skype, Google hangout, or any other video call service company.

Since you are unable to find steady job and have plan to live in Indonesia anyway, why you are not just get married and file for a spousal visa. You can do DCF and find a job in Indonesia. Besides, I don't know which region you will live in. Some regions there are not accepted unmarried couple live together. Make sure you know the rules.

Good luck!

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

An attorney is not necessary in most cases. We had a professional help us with our K1 visa and he was flat out wrong a couple of times. In contrast Visa Journey was always right. Even when someone posts incorrect information someone always comes along to correct it. Most answers can be found just using the search feature. Even what is in packet number three. Good luck to you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

It is off topic and no need to answer, don't be offended, I was just surprised, but: you know and lived with your fiancée since 5 years and you are not married yet?

Less than 3 months of waiting for NOA2 is not alarming at all.

It is not first in, first out unfortunatly. It is fustrating but you should only worry when you have to. Do not take life decisions according to assumptions...

Coming back to your country after living abroad is hard! I get you 100%!! But no place is perfect. Relax, breathe and focus on your job search.

Do it for your fiancée. She will be proud of you and in my opinion, having a goal makes the couple stronger.

I wish you the best.

We considered getting married there, but found the marriage in Indonesia complicated and expensive for male expat to female local. We could have a better wedding here for less. I lived in her parent's guest home.

The problem isn't 3 months . . it's 3 months with no knowledge of what they're doing and no connection with my fiance. What I don't understand is how a relationship can last with no connection for a year or more. I understand the government has no interest relationships, but sometimes I think they just hold on to them to see which ones fall apart before the approval..

Tim (L) Natalia

Petition Sent: 08/04/2014

Received: 08/06/2014

RFE: 10/29/2014

RFE Reply: 11/04/2014

I am not at all a believer of long distance relationship. I think if you are a couple, you live together. However if you choose somebody for good, you can wait for her/him for a year or two because of a visa. It is a good enough reason to wait.

... and while you wait you prepare! You prepare for her/his arrival in the US, you save money, you plan (without specific time schedule)

If you do this preparation while she is here, it will be hard on both of you. So better do it before.

Again everyone is different. Everyone reacts differently. If you have already waited 3 months just keep waiting. no need to reset the clock. However, as everyone mentionned, you need a co sponsor if you want her in the US in the next months even if you find a job before the interview. You won't have enough history to be stable financially.... Unless you have assets and this is a different story...

I am going to try and give some constructive advice. Reading this thread I get the overwhelming feeling that the OP has martyred his application based on a whim of doubt, without any proof to back it up.

Not at all meant to criticize the OP, that's not at all my intention.

My advise is to stop, take a really deep breathe and analyze the situation. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that you will be denied, and I would disagree with your logic that they will wait the full 5 months to deny. I remember in the angst of awaiting my approval I frantically searched the USCIS case status page and randomized the last two digits. I figured the case would be generated about the same time as mine and I was right! I remember almost all of the cases +-20 of mine were all approved, and mine just happened to fall through a mysterious crack and was the only one still under review.

But it was still approved, no RFE! OP, it's just the nature of the beast, judging your dates on your application peers will not serve anything positive, only add to the anxiety you're clearly already feeling.

My question is, WHY do you believe your application will be denied? Do you have anything other than just inline NOA dates? because if so frankly that's nonsensical to feel alarmed based on this.

Also understand that absolutely everyone who collectively makes up this great site has been through or is currently going through exactly what you're going through. I have no idea where you get 2 years from, but that is just not factual. 8 months OP. I would have waited 8 years if I needed to, despite how horrible it is, or feels at the prospect of being apart, we do live in a technological world which brings the world together unlike ever in the past. Use it, utilize it, and appreciate it. My parents immigrated to Australia form the United Kingdom back in 1981 and at that time calling on a delayed scratchy analog line cost them $2/minute, so communication was restricted to Christmas and birthdays!

Personally I didn't see my now wife for 1 years and 2 days, and it took 9 months from NOA1 to VISA issuance. I'm not saying that people here won't sympathize with you, because I'm sure EVERYONE does, but try to understand that everyone on here is in the same boat as you, or was as once point in time.

Finally, I will end by saying take each step as it comes, analyze your situation without angst but with rationale. and the very best of luck on your VISA journey. :star:

Edited by GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Timeline

I am going to try and give some constructive advice. Reading this thread I get the overwhelming feeling that the OP has martyred his application based on a whim of doubt, without any proof to back it up.

Not at all meant to criticize the OP, that's not at all my intention.

My advise is to stop, take a really deep breathe and analyze the situation. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that you will be denied, and I would disagree with your logic that they will wait the full 5 months to deny. I remember in the angst of awaiting my approval I frantically searched the USCIS case status page and randomized the last two digits. I figured the case would be generated about the same time as mine and I was right! I remember almost all of the cases +-20 of mine were all approved, and mine just happened to fall through a mysterious crack and was the only one still under review.

But it was still approved, no RFE! OP, it's just the nature of the beast, judging your dates on your application peers will not serve anything positive, only add to the anxiety you're clearly already feeling.

My question is, WHY do you believe your application will be denied? Do you have anything other than just inline NOA dates? because if so frankly that's nonsensical to feel alarmed based on this.

Also understand that absolutely everyone who collectively makes up this great site has been through or is currently going through exactly what you're going through. I have no idea where you get 2 years from, but that is just not factual. 8 months OP. I would have waited 8 years if I needed to, despite how horrible it is, or feels at the prospect of being apart, we do live in a technological world which brings the world together unlike ever in the past. Use it, utilize it, and appreciate it. My parents immigrated to Australia form the United Kingdom back in 1981 and at that time calling on a delayed scratchy analog line cost them $2/minute, so communication was restricted to Christmas and birthdays!

Personally I didn't see my now wife for 1 years and 2 days, and it took 9 months from NOA1 to VISA issuance. I'm not saying that people here won't sympathize with you, because I'm sure EVERYONE does, but try to understand that everyone on here is in the same boat as you, or was as once point in time.

Finally, I will end by saying take each step as it comes, analyze your situation without angst but with rationale. and the very best of luck on your VISA journey. :star:

I appreciate you calling it "constructive criticism". It keeps me from needing to be defensive.

My theory that a petition submitted for the same VISA through the same offices being processed before mine being a bad sign, is sound. Though all that proves is some agents at the USCIS expedited some VISAs before others. My belief that we will be denied is not completely based on that. The fact is, we have a 50/50 chance of being denied/approved. I would rather be prepared to be denied and be approved than visa-versa. If they do deny us, we will be on opposite sides of the planet with no way to be together. After waiting 5-8 months, I can't start the process over . . I need another plan. So my logic is not only rational, but prudent. While everyone here has filed a visa and has had to wait, it's not true that everyone has been through what many here have gone through. I have read many postings where a petition was approved in days and the visa was approved in 3-4 months.

I won't bore you with the stats of Psychology and LDRs, except to say that a relationship without connection will not progress. While my fiance and I chat online frequently, our lives are separate. Two lives that are separate will grow apart. Obviously I can't explain why I know I will still love her . . but we will both be different people when we meet, just like anyone else that had to wait. I just hate to see 5 years of "getting to know her" go down the drain.

By the way . . this was off topic. I had only intended on getting ideas of how I could live in Indonesia while I waited with her the year(s) it's going to take. so far the only reasoning I have why I can't live there is the financial support factor. I wasn't sure if there was some reason I needed to be here.

So thanks for your "constructive criticism". Though I don't understand why you kept calling me OP, I do appreciate your optimistic perspective., However, I have had too many bad things happen when I've made life changing decisions . . like moving back to the US.

PS: My 2 years is an adjusted time frame based on there being 4 parts to the VISA at 5 months each. I'm probably wrong . . as I have no clue. what the next step will be. I have heard 4 or 5 different things I need to do. If I get approved, I hope they tell me what to do next.

Tim (L) Natalia

Though I don't understand why you kept calling me OP,

OP means original poster as you created this thread :) good luck with your application!

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I have no clue. what the next step will be. I have heard 4 or 5 different things I need to do. If I get approved, I hope they tell me what to do next.

Please study this flowchart: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

It gives you an idea of what the next steps are going to be, including after the beneficiary arrives in the US. The US government (if that is who you meant by 'they') is not going to tell you what to do next, unfortunately.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Tim,

Yes OP just means "Original Poster", it's forum lingo :idea:

My theory that a petition submitted for the same VISA through the same offices being processed before mine being a bad sign, is sound.

I'm sorry, but your theory is just not true, with respect. I took the liberty of doing a search on this forum for "K1 Filers" and found the stock thread for everyone else in similar situation to you, http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/505281-k1-july-2014-filers/. Also looking at your own timeline and searching for similar timelines I found to other profiles, one have an approval and the other is just like you, waiting NOA2.

You just cannot apply logic and sense to the process; doing so would be fruitless. Some people get approved in a week, some people it takes a year. It's just the nature of the beast. But the synonymous importance is the time it takes bares absolutely no relevance to a successful or unsuccessful petition. I cannot stress this enough, but that's all I can really say on that matter and if you are convinced by your own determination, then that is your choice.

Tim, I commend you for your determination in your pursuit of happiness and love. It seems very clear you are determined to move to Indonesia, and even more determined to make it work with your relationship, that is completely admirable. If that's your prerogative and that's your decision than I wish you all the very best. If it were me, I would hold off just a little longer for your petition result. It seems like you will hear something soon based on your timeline. I do completely understand the hardship of being apart and living separate lives and I also realize that that can work for some, and be much much much for difficult for others. That's not a judgement, it's just how we're all unique on this rock called Earth. :)

If you do choose to move to Indonesia, I would recommend you write and officially cancel your petition, or VISA, depending on where you are at at that time. Abandoning the VISA and letting the set deadlines lapse may be counterproductive should you and your partner ever choose to reconsider and move back to the US. This site holds with it a stratospheric amount of information, advice, people to lean on and shoulders to cry on. The K1 visa process is long, rough, and sometimes feels impossible. I have been there, done that, purchased the t-shirt, as have everyone else on this site. No one here will tell you it's easy, and this is just part of the recipe of bringing your love to the US. It's just the way it us, for good or for bad, I'm truly sorry if you entered into this K1 process with another idea of how tough this process is, because the reality would dictate otherwise.

Once again best of luck and happiness to you both. :goofy:

Edited by GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, getting married in indonesia, as an expat, is recently difficult as the LAWS changed about it, must be a certain age range, income proof, etc etc

but

since you already filed for the I-129F petition, wouldn't it be great for the K-1 visa to be granted? I think so ! You should, as well !

You already have the relationship evidence - what else do you need? Proof of income and optionally (maybe required for you) a co-sponsor and then of course USA domicile.

IMO, you should focus on work and money and domicile until she arrives, as you'll have the same issues applying for her greencard after marriage.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I don't have any experience with fiancé(e) visas but someone mentioned that it's not first-in, first-out, meaning just because you hear of a case submitted after yours getting approved before yours doesn't mean they lost your file or are planning to deny you.

With my wife's stateside AoS, I joined VisaJourney and saw people in the July 2014 threads getting their green cards before we even received our interview notice despite our case being early January 2014. It's frustrating, but there are a lot of factors at play and a lot of unknown variables.

Timeline

Thank you all for your input. I understand your optimism and I appreciate your thoughts. I never meant to let this post go so far off topic. (i.e. Living in Indonesia during the VISA process) My intention was to get ideas of how I could do this, without violating the VISA. Of course, my only reason for moving there is to be with my fiance.

Seems the focus has been the denial factor. The fact is that there is always a 50/50 chance of denial/approval, as there are only 2 options. The US Government does not need a reason to deny anyone. I am thoroughly confused by this whole process, therefore, the potential of me making a mistake is extremely high. So, I choose to try to be ready for a denial. Though a denial would be a scenario that would devastate my life.

Back on subject: The only 2 things I see conflicting with the VISA if I were to get a job and return to Indonesia is:

1. Financial support: No employment in the US at the time of the NOA2 Question: Won't a sponsor alleviate this problem?

2. Possibly being locked in a contract past the expiration of an approved VISA Question: Can't I get some sort of extension?

Can anyone think of any other conflicts and/or a workaround for these issues?

The only reason I want to move back is to be with my fiance. I do not want us to be apart for a year or more, that would be irresponsible of me.

Tim (L) Natalia

Filed: Timeline

Yes you can live in Indonesia while the K1 is in process. Just make sure you have a co-sponsor and a job also a place to live when you come back to US. Don't get frustrated when you see people ahead you got approved before you because it doesn't mean you will get deny. You have proof of met within two years but you need to worry about the co-sponsor weather they meet the requirement or not.

Question,

Possibly being locked in the contract is for your fiancée's work?

The visa will be expired if she doesn't use it and you need to re-apply the K1 again when visa is expired.

Edited by LmmL

Timeline

Yes you can live in Indonesia while the K1 is in process. Just make sure you have a co-sponsor and a job also a place to live when you come back to US. Don't get frustrated when you see people ahead you got approved before you because it doesn't mean you will get deny. You have proof of met within two years but you need to worry about the co-sponsor weather they meet the requirement or not.

Question,

Possibly being locked in the contract is for your fiancée's work?

The visa will be expired if she doesn't use it and you need to re-apply the K1 again when visa is expired.

Yea . . it keeps coming back to having a job. There is no way to have a job if I'm not living here. Actually, I'm not sure I'll have a job even if I stay here. I have found some work, but jobs are hard to find.

Answer: No, whenever an expat travels to another country, the employer pays for the VISA. Therefore, they hold the exit permit and you sign a minimum 1 yr contract. Locals don't have that problem. I worked in Indonesia for 5 years. I truly should have stayed . . I have found going back to work there may be complicated.

Tim (L) Natalia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.