TimClevenger

Can I live in Indonesia during the I-129F process?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I have submitted my petition and received the NOA1, but it looks like this process could take 1-2 years.

Met fiance' online May 2009

Visited Indonesia Aug 2009

Returned to US Sept 2009

Returned to Indonesia Oct 2009 Lived there 5 years

Returned to US July 2014 Began VISA process: Notice Date: Aug 6

Visiting Indonesia would cost $2000+ and I would not have an income during my visit. I would intend to live there until the VISA is approved and both of us could return together. Does anyone know if this is allowed or if it could cause a conflict?

Tim (L) Natalia

Petition Sent: 08/04/2014

Received: 08/06/2014

RFE: 10/29/2014

RFE Reply: 11/04/2014

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

there is no restriction about it,

however

study the I-864 stuff as

the guidelines in it are used for the I-134 adjudication on interview day.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Yes . . I see the financial support being an issue, but I see it as an issue anyway. I am unable to find a permanent job in the US. So I will need a co-sponsor anyway. Additionally, this process may take up to 2 years and I doubt any relationship would last that long without contact. How do other couples deal with the time and distance?

Tim (L) Natalia

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Yes . . I see the financial support being an issue, but I see it as an issue anyway. I am unable to find a permanent job in the US. So I will need a co-sponsor anyway. Additionally, this process may take up to 2 years and I doubt any relationship would last that long without contact. How do other couples deal with the time and distance?

For K1visa, from application to visa approval may take up to 8 months. Not two years as you have mentioned. The Jakarta consulate is not a busy embassy, that is good news. However, you need to be able to have proof of income during the K1 interview she's attending. From what I understand the consulate accepts co-sponsor.

However, adjustment of status requires $1,070 that being said it is better for you to get a permanent job and safe some money until she is here. Skype and facetime are very useful tools to connect, it will be gruelling but nothing lasts forever :) This I experienced first hand.

If you have any more question regarding the process or the consulate, feel free to message me. Otherwise this forum is an excellent one to help you gauge timeframes and procedures. Good luck

Blooms

Edited by blooms

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

... How do other couples deal with the time and distance?

My wife and I used LINE chat alot during our time away while her K-1 was being processed. Line allows you to text, video chat and make calls over wif-fi, so you are only paying for yor wifi connection.

While video chatting we would have "virtual dates." I would cook a meal and show her how to cook it. Then we sat down at our virtual restuarant tables set with candles and had a virtual dinner. It was fun. We also spent alot of time texting, showing pictures of friends and family, and kept each other abreast on family events and new things happening in our lives.

We filed the I-129F petition in February 2013 and she arrived here in January 2014. It would have been 4 months sooner, but my wife wanted to spend Christmas with her family before she boarded a plane to the USA. So we scheduled an interview for January rather than October.

Good luck!

Filed: Timeline

I went thru all this stuff in 1988. Went down there in April decided to get married(had been there year before). Took me awhile to make sure i was okay with this(to my mothers dismay). Filed sometime in May. Didnt send in evidence of having met(remember this was pre-internet and I didnt know anyone who had ever done this). They sent it back and I sent in evidence. Was approved in late August. Went back to Rio in August for a week. Whole thing got wrapped up sometime in October. We decided best time to come was Thanksgiving when I would could get off for a whole week. She had to quit job, get rid of apt and sell stuff. Showed up with cat(I didnt know about that). Still married. Unfortunately the cat got cornered by some dogs in the neighborhood about 4 years later and got mauled to death. Whole process took like maybe 6 months.or less. I guess she could have come earlier but had to wrap up things there.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for your comments. I understand your optimism, but my notice date is Aug 6 . . they have already approved Aug 22. My suspicion is they are waiting till the 5 month mark to deny us. I'm sure anyone who has been denied will tell us they were told on or just previous to the 5 month period.

I'm hoping to get a job in Indonesia again, but it seems harder now. When they deny us, we will end up being separated forever.

Tim (L) Natalia

Timeline

if you have NOA-2 date of 22 SEP - I suggest you get a co-sponser tomorrow and wrap up with the packet 3 stuff next week. It's possible she could be interviewed in November, coming to USA in December, if'n you do this.

Your calendar, though, so you choose, aye?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

if you have NOA-2 date of 22 SEP - I suggest you get a co-sponser tomorrow and wrap up with the packet 3 stuff next week. It's possible she could be interviewed in November, coming to USA in December, if'n you do this.

OP has not received NOA2 yet.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Timeline

I told you that my petition hasn't been approved. I won't have a NOA2, cause my petition will be denied. I don't even know what a package 3 is . . .guess I need an attorney.

Tim (L) Natalia

Timeline

why would the petition be denied? I-134 adjudication occurs on interview day - not prior.

what's going on ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your comments. I understand your optimism, but my notice date is Aug 6 . . they have already approved Aug 22. My suspicion is they are waiting till the 5 month mark to deny us. I'm sure anyone who has been denied will tell us they were told on or just previous to the 5 month period.

I'm hoping to get a job in Indonesia again, but it seems harder now. When they deny us, we will end up being separated forever.

1. the length of processing has little to do with whether or not they approve or deny a petition, and more to do with the workloads of the various USCIS service centers. for some, a decision (approval or denial) will be made in 3 weeks, for others, 6 months.

2. getting the I-129F petition approved is generally pretty easy - both of you have to be legally free and able to marry at the time of filing, and have met in person at least once in the two years prior to filing the petition. if for some reason you did not provide evidence of those two things (or if you missed something out on the forms), it is more likely that they will send you a request for further evidence, rather than outright deny you.

so, here is my question - if you are unable to get a permanent job in the US, are you sure that living in the US with a new wife who will be wholly dependent on you for a good number of months before she is able to work, drive, etc is the right decision for you? (no judgment from me either way, i am just curious as you seem more intent on returning to indonesia). personally, i would focus on getting things ready for your other half while the petition is pending - stuff like finding a job, place to live, etc - especially since you've been away from US soil for 5 years.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Timeline

1. the length of processing has little to do with whether or not they approve or deny a petition, and more to do with the workloads of the various USCIS service centers. for some, a decision (approval or denial) will be made in 3 weeks, for others, 6 months.

2. getting the I-129F petition approved is generally pretty easy - both of you have to be legally free and able to marry at the time of filing, and have met in person at least once in the two years prior to filing the petition. if for some reason you did not provide evidence of those two things (or if you missed something out on the forms), it is more likely that they will send you a request for further evidence, rather than outright deny you.

so, here is my question - if you are unable to get a permanent job in the US, are you sure that living in the US with a new wife who will be wholly dependent on you for a good number of months before she is able to work, drive, etc is the right decision for you? (no judgment from me either way, i am just curious as you seem more intent on returning to indonesia). personally, i would focus on getting things ready for your other half while the petition is pending - stuff like finding a job, place to live, etc - especially since you've been away from US soil for 5 years.

1. Then there is no explanation why people who submitted their petition 3 weeks after I did are already being approved. Their petitions were received on Aug 22 at the same service center. So, either they have chosen to send those petitions unfairly before mine, or they have found something that has raised questions.

2. I believe my package was complete, but I'm no immigration attorney. I had a consultant, but couldn't afford him for long. Your comment sounds logical, I hope you're right, just hope I can figure out the next step.

It's not my fault I can't find a permanent job. I have done anything and everything I can . . even job I am unqualified and/or incapable of doing. Looking back I realize this was a bad decision. I don't belong in America any more than than the Europeans did when the Mayflower accidentally drifted into this rock. The question for me is, will my relationship of 5 years last for the next 2 years while we play jump through the hoop with the US?

My only goal now is to find a way to help my sick fiance in Indonesia and somehow keep our relationship in tact.

Tim (L) Natalia

It is off topic and no need to answer, don't be offended, I was just surprised, but: you know and lived with your fiancée since 5 years and you are not married yet?

Less than 3 months of waiting for NOA2 is not alarming at all.

It is not first in, first out unfortunatly. It is fustrating but you should only worry when you have to. Do not take life decisions according to assumptions...

Coming back to your country after living abroad is hard! I get you 100%!! But no place is perfect. Relax, breathe and focus on your job search.

Do it for your fiancée. She will be proud of you and in my opinion, having a goal makes the couple stronger.

I wish you the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.