Tired of wait

Did you have any concerns before marriage?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Did you have any concerns before marriage? like if you gonna adapt to new life, find a job, miss your family? or were you sure and positive that was going to work?

I know my fiance has spoken of his fear about finding a job over here. And missing his family as well. He wants to be able to provide for us. So the job things is a big deal. As far as marrying me, I don't think he is scared about that part. I hope anyway :)

K-1 Visa -  Date of arrival to US  Aug 30, 2014

Married September 26, 2014

AOS: SEPT 24th, 2015 GREEN CARD RECEIVED !! 

ROC:  Oct 10, 2018    Approval of ROC via online USCIS site.  

Naturalization: March 26th, 2021 Approved!!

As of 2022, we are working towards moving back to Australia likely in 2025. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Not afraid of the marriage part, we're incredibly compatible and we have similar backgrounds, life experiences, no baggage etc.

We knew early on we wanted to marry each other, we've lived together for 3 months in a tiny bedroom in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, living with his wonderful family, we were both unemployed and we loved every minute of it. We had so many adventures!

I am worried about finding a job, I have hip surgery coming up so I've been worried about how long it will be til i can drive again etc.

Edited by sweetswinks

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

My fiancé and I have both been married before we talked earlier in our relationship of our fears due to being hurt in our previous marriage, we have a lot in common with family background and the way we were raised. Communication, trust and honesty are the most important things for the both of us, yes this may sound a little mushy Lol but we can both honestly say that we now know what true love is and what the meaning of a soul mate is. My fear is being able to find a job when I get there, I know I will miss my family a lot and my fiancé has made it a priority to have internet so I can communicate with them on Skype. I am beyond excited about spending the rest of my life with him and cannot wait to marry him

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We have both been married before and although we thought we had no baggage, it's not until you are with someone you can trust and have faith in that you realise you may not have dealt with all quite like you thought you had. We both appreciate what we have and feel very blessed and lucky to have found each other. However, submitting the paperwork and taking it out of our hands, suddenly makes everything that much more real. We, neither of is, have cold feet, but we now realise that this is happening! We are going to have to get used to living in and sharing someone's space again - a scary thought! Wonderful and exciting, but scary too. I'm glad to hear I am not alone in having these thoughts and feelings at a time when everything is very exciting. We love each other wholeheartedly and can't wait to be together....we've just been there and done that and want to do all we can to ensure we are together forever, soul mates is exactly how I would describe us and I know these feelings of uncertainty will pass as we carry on this journey.

Very very excited for the future! ??

05.19.2014 - I-129F submitted to Lewisville Lockbox
05.27.2014 - NOA1 received via email - confirmed CSC ✨

05.30.2014 - Alien Registration Number changed.

06.13.2014 - Email rec'd - RFE

07.18.2014 - NOA2 received via email

07.29.2014 - Case received at NVC

08.07.2014 - Case # assigned

08.11.2014 - left NVC

08.12.2014 - DS 160 completed and submitted

08.14.2014 - packet 3 received

08.22.2014 - Medical at Knightsbridge Doctor

08.23.2014 - Notification of Readiness

09.15.2014 - packet 3 received

09.24.2014 - Visa Interview

09.24.2014 - Visa Approved

11.18.2014 - Fly to US - together again, at last!

12.19.2014 - Getting Married - giddy!! :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life In America, from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I had no concerns at all, maybe it helped that I already lived in a foreign country anyway and change for me always means new opportunity :-)

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

We have both been married before and although we thought we had no baggage, it's not until you are with someone you can trust and have faith in that you realise you may not have dealt with all quite like you thought you had. We both appreciate what we have and feel very blessed and lucky to have found each other. However, submitting the paperwork and taking it out of our hands, suddenly makes everything that much more real. We, neither of is, have cold feet, but we now realise that this is happening! We are going to have to get used to living in and sharing someone's space again - a scary thought! Wonderful and exciting, but scary too. I'm glad to hear I am not alone in having these thoughts and feelings at a time when everything is very exciting. We love each other wholeheartedly and can't wait to be together....we've just been there and done that and want to do all we can to ensure we are together forever, soul mates is exactly how I would describe us and I know these feelings of uncertainty will pass as we carry on this journey.

Very very excited for the future! ??

"it's not until you are with someone you can trust and have faith in that you realise you may not have dealt with all quite like you thought you had." Very wise words. A good marraige, if you allow it to, will show the best and the worst (character flaws) of the mates and it's up to the individual mate to learn and grow from this experience with the hopefull end result that BOTH partners have this same objective.

It has been said before about choosing our mate to "Pick carefully and then treat kindly".

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

We were both married before and have two children each. We knew we were meant to be with each other but beyond the declarations of love we also spent much of the time while waiting for the process, talking through all our concerns. We have combined our familiies, we had to discuss common ground and compromise on parenting, and discipline. A big part of our discussion was also finances - agreement about he was going to support me until I would be able to work, and what it was costing me to move my life across the world to his. I would would say that every concern and every frustration - however minor - needs to be aired & discussed. You need to know that you can talk to your partner about ANYTHING and I think that you can guage how well you are likely to succeed together based on these conversations.

I had few concerns about how I was going to cope culturally or away from my home - I had already lived in the US for 9 years 2 decade ago and lived in two further countries after leaving my home country.

But I also knew I couldn't pick a better partner for all effort I was making and the challenges that faced us. We make a great team.

Its normal to worry, but in our case I knew that we would be able to overcome any trials that would come our way, and three years later we are happier than ever. We have survived periods of umemployment but have always gotten by because one of us was always working, we have a son now and we have been through a deployment. It hasn't always been easy but its always been worth it :) Goodluck :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I knew that getting married would be fine because my wife is a perfect fit for me and we are a team.

I'm moving to the US in 5 weeks and I know that I can deal with missing my family but I must admit I'm nervous about the whole finding a job situation. It's natural to be apprehensive and a little concerned before such a huge step change in your life but if you believe in yourself and share your concerns with your partner you will be fine. :)

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

I was concerned that he would miss his family too much but everything is going fine; we Skype with them every week, multiple times and that's fun, also we send letters and cards back and forth. We set up an online folder to share photos, and that really helps (and we take more photos now, too). We work at maintaining good contact and conversation over the miles.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

I never ever thought I'd get married, let alone as soon as I did. We came to the US with the intent to visit and then return to Canada and figure out how we could make this work because at the time, DOMA laws hadn't changed allowing gay couples to pursue immigration. When we found out, we decided the best thing to do was to get married and start a life here. We want to have an actual wedding in the future when we have the money etc, but I was definitely nervous even for the court house wedding.

I miss my friends a lot, but I'm estranged from most of my family. Biggest change was being in the south for a year, while previously living and growing up in a very progressive city on the west coast. We are going to move to Portland in a few months, and even though it won't be Vancouver, it'll be much closer and I can visit!

AOS:

Green Card Received in 168 Days

ROC

06/17/2016: ROC Mailed via USPS Express in Large Flate-Rate Box to Vermont Service Center (P.O. Box)

06/18/2016: ROC Delivered by USPS

06/22/2016: Check Cashed

06/24/2016: NOA1 Received Dated 06/20/2016

07/09/2016: ASC Appointment Notice Received Dated 07/02/2016 & Scheduled 07/21/2016

07/21/2016: Biometrics Successfully Completed (Birmingham)

05/18/2017: InfoPass Appointment - 1-Year Extension Stamp Received

06/06/2017: ROC Approval Letter Received Dated 05/30/2017

06/14/2017: Green Card Delivered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.