banjoruth

Nervous fiance.

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Are you saying that you have only spent a total of 2 weeks together, period, or that you have only spent 2 weeks with her in her country?

We have spent a total of two weeks together. 1 week in December and 1 week in January. We met online in November.

We spend about 2 hours a day on skype. I am planning another trip in June, but we want to get the paperwork started now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I don't understand the Idea why to pay a lawyer to all that? the K-1 is really very easy, the only thing is the period of waiting. at interview she dosen't have why to be nervous, if you don't know a question you say simple " I Don't Know" and they appreciate you don't lie they. Belive me you dont need to pay 2.000$ for a person,which will do the same job which you can do Belive me !!!! With those money you can buy her a beautiful ring. I dont know what to say more, but belive me, that lawyer dosen't deserve to be paid. The Waiting will be same period he / she ( the lawyer) can't influence the period of waiting. So tell her to be calm, is noting hard, or something which she can do wrong.

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We have spent a total of two weeks together. 1 week in December and 1 week in January. We met online in November.

We spend about 2 hours a day on skype. I am planning another trip in June, but we want to get the paperwork started now.

Ok. I don't really know that much about the fiancé visa. So not sure if the lawyer is being honest in saying that is 'not enough'. I think the people who have done fiancé visa here can help you more, as I don't have any experience with it, we did a CR-1 because we were already married.

You will get some good advice here though, I am sure. I did. Good luck.

One issue that came up was that we only have known each other 5 months. In this time i visited her in Hanoi for one week in December and finished my vacation in January and we spent another week in Ho Chi Minh City. So I have visited 2x's each time for 1 week. The lawyer said that was not enough?

First off, unless it has changed since my wife and I went through it 7 years ago, the only requirement is that you have met in person at least once in the past 2 years. Technically, you could meet one day for 15 minutes, and you have satisfied the requirement. You have spent a week together on 2 separate occasions.

So if the lawyer thinks that you have not spent enough time together, how is paying him $2,000 going to change that? Lawyers are the biggest scam artists out there.

Another thing I would mention for you to think about is why is your fiancee so nervous and afraid to say something wrong. In my experience (not only with immigration but with life), when people are afraid that they may say something wrong is because they are not being completely honest. If you need to "think about" what to say, that's almost like you're telling a story. You know what I mean... why did she consult a lawyer in the first place? Is this really a lawyer? I know you don't want to hear this kind of stuff but when dealing with international relationships, you need to go into it with your eyes wide open, too many men (and women) have gotten burned by blind love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You've gotten good advice here.

Lawyers just want your money. I talked to several lawyers who wanted anywhere from $2500 - $3000 for our simple, straightforward case involving a paralegal to fill out the paperwork. One lawyer even gave us advice that would violate VJ's TOS regarding tourist visas and adjusting status. Another lawyer was pretty angry that I didn't retain her and called my husband to ask why!! Ridiculous!

I am glad I found VJ. Save yourself that money and go visit your bride-to-be instead! Or use it to visit her and attend the interview with her.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

If she hasn't already, tell her to get a VJ account and do a little research as to what may be asked.

Read your embassy reviews other couples left.

Marc Ellis is great and very familiar with your embassy but in my opinion is not needed if you have a straightforward case.
Save the money and be there in support for her interview, that will also add a 3. visit on a bit of a scant 'face time' together

and will help more than a lawyer drilling her with questions/answers they may never ask.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Timeline

For a plain jane K-1 or CR1 I would never recommend a lawyer. By know you already know there is nothing to the paperwork. I did everything myself to date and had many dealings with the US consulate in HCMC. It is we'll organized and they are friendly and polite. If you can make it through the DMV you can do this. The lawyer only proof reads your packet and helps your fiancee prep for interview questions and for $2000 there is no guarantee she will get the visa. The questions are not trick questions. Just look at the embassy reviews for the questions or print off stokes interview questions from a google search. I printed two off and every night me and the wife asked each other a few of the questions and wrote down the answers. We kinda made a game out of it and it did help us learn even more about each other.

I would save the money on the lawyer and use the savings to take time off of work to fly to HCMC to be with her during the interview. I truly believe that when you're there as a couple you odds increase greatly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Op - I strongly suggest you take matters into your own hands. lawyers are not going to make interview go any smoother. you can do the same by practicing.

If you can, fly over to Vietnam and be there for the interview which will put your fiancee at ease. At this point, your fiancee should trust you more than lawyers in my opinion.

It looks like lawyers are trying to instill fear so they can get paid.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Definitely go through some reviews with her, I know lots of people are nervous before the interview and come out and say it was easier than they thought. That money would probably be much better spent flying to be with her for the interview or getting more time "in person" before you have the interview :)

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Yes, dont spend money on lawyer with k1. We did it ourselves and we were approved quickly. All process was like 4 monts. If you don't have any red flags you can do it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

For what it's worth, our lawyer prepped my fiancee very well. She is adamantly self admitting to be horrible at interviews and is always a nervous wreck when doing one. Every question our lawyer asked her was also asked of her at the interview. It was an invaluable resource and well worth the money in our case.

In addition our lawyer ensured all our information and evidence were correct and we experienced no RFEs or delays. The only thing that delayed us was that horrible typhoon in the Philippines which delayed our interview to January.

Hello Banjoruth, it can be very hectic putting the k 1 papers together and you may miss out something and get a RFE which makes the process even longer. I used rapid visa they did all the work i only provided the information. I paid them 325 total and I was approved in 30 days no issue. Lawyers like to take your money and they are not needed. Rapid visa offers the same coaching for the interview and they have a 2/7 support system give them a try they are way cheaper than a lawyer and they do the same job.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

My fiance showed the petition to a lawyer at the beginning just to check. Other than that we did the process ourself, it was a lot of reading, asking and also a lot of learning on visajourney. I'm glad we got ourself into it, because now we know so much more.

Our K1-Timeline

I-129F Sent : 2013-12-16
NOA1 : 2013-12-23
NOA2 : 2014-01-24
Consulate Received : 2014-02-19
Packet 3 Received : 2014-02-24
Packet 3 Sent : 2014-02-27
Packet 4 Received : 2014-03-10
Interview Date : 2014-03-18 >>> APPROVED!

Marriage: 2014-06-13

wub.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I suggest you have your fiancé participate on this site if she is not already and befriend other Vietnamese that are doing the same process. This will help reduce some her stress by being more informed.

You should also plan to take time off of work and spend real time with her face to face and do what you can to attend the interview with her.

Good luck!

Dec 12th, 2013 – Mailed in I-129F Package to Texas Lockbox.

Dec 13th, 2013 – Package Delivered.

Dec 18th, 2013 - NOA1 Text and Email

Dec 20th, 2013 - NOA1 Hardcopy received in mail. Notice date on hardcopy says December 17th.

Jan 24th, 2014 - NOA2 - update on USCIS website

Feb 12th, 2014 - NVC has received our approved I-129F and we were given a Case #

March 15th, 2014 - Passed St. Luke's Medical Exam

March 15. 2014 - Rescheduled Embassy Appointment to March 24, 2014

March 24, 2014 - Visa Approved! :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

I don't know who the Vietnamese Embassy will look at the limited in-person time you've had together and the short duration of the relationship, so I would think that you being present at the interview would also help in establishing a bonafide relationship.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.