banjoruth

Nervous fiance.

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello again, I am almost finished preparing my K-1 visa forms and photos...

The problem is, my fiancé in Vietnam is very nervous about this whole process. I have talked to her about this web site and the fact that we are fine preparing this ourselves and with the help of visajourney.

She made an appointment with a lawyer and they filled her head full of doubt. They told her they would walk her through the whole process from start to visa approval for $2,000. I told her I am doing all the work, and a lawyer will basically proof read our packet and mail. At a cost of $2,000

She is worried about her interview and believes she will say something wrong. I have told her it is all about the truth and us. That we will keep the whole process simple and honest. She is terrified that we will make a mistake and cost us another year or more apart. The lawyer has told her that she can help coach her for the interview. I am frustrated about this.

I would much rather spend our money on another visit, and preparing for our lives together.

Any words of encouragement for her? Any ideas how to comfort her on the interview process? Our case is simple and straight forward, nothing out of the ordinary. Just two people who fell in love 7,000 miles apart.

Thank you so much for any suggestions.

Some members in Vietnam subforum recommend Marc Ellis.

Maybe a brief consultation will help to reduce the fears about the interview.

If both of you feel good that your case has no major red flag, then you probably could go through the process yourself without the help of a lawyer.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/357570-marc-ellis/

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you have a good lawyer that has been recommended by people who have already gone through the process, then it might be worth it to spend the extra money, if that gives you some peace of mind.

My overall experience with lawyers, was bad and worse. I had an initial consultation with 3 different lawyers, and they all told me things that I already knew were not true. There was even one who told me to apply for a fiancé visa even though I was already married!

She made an appointment with a lawyer and they filled her head full of doubt

Yeah, I had the same experience, one told me 'You'd better not try to do this yourself! You'll get into all sorts of trouble! I'm an immigration expert, you need me!'. That, after this lawyer had already told me things that I knew were not true from the research I did here. Well, I did it myself and we didn't get into any trouble and were approved.

My advice. Read here, ask questions, and educate yourself as much as possible. Then you will be more prepared to know if you need a lawyer or if you are hiring the right one if you decide to go that route.

Oh, and I edited this post to add: I think it's natural to feel nervous. This process does that to you. I think anyone who doesn't have nerves of steel is going to feel nervous. My wife and I were both nervous, but it all worked out in the end.

Edited by Journeyer

I did the entire process, before not even knowing the fiance visa even existed. I did my research on this site, asked tons of questions, and made it through the entire process ourselves. We involved no lawyer, I didn't even speak to one. You can do it. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

If you're willing to spend some money, it might be best to invest it in a plane ticket to Vietnam so you can attend the interview with her.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just remember one thing.

Lawyers aren't there to help you, they aren't there to bring loved ones together.

They only exist to make money and they'll probably still get paid even if you don't get the visa.

It's in their best interest to try to convince and scare your fiance into thinking that she needs them.

Unless there are serious issues in your case then all the lawyer will be doing is things you can do yourself.

And they wont work with the same sense of urgency that you would do yourself

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Hello again, I am almost finished preparing my K-1 visa forms and photos...

The problem is, my fiancé in Vietnam is very nervous about this whole process. I have talked to her about this web site and the fact that we are fine preparing this ourselves and with the help of visajourney.

She made an appointment with a lawyer and they filled her head full of doubt. They told her they would walk her through the whole process from start to visa approval for $2,000. I told her I am doing all the work, and a lawyer will basically proof read our packet and mail. At a cost of $2,000

She is worried about her interview and believes she will say something wrong. I have told her it is all about the truth and us. That we will keep the whole process simple and honest. She is terrified that we will make a mistake and cost us another year or more apart. The lawyer has told her that she can help coach her for the interview. I am frustrated about this.

I would much rather spend our money on another visit, and preparing for our lives together.

Any words of encouragement for her? Any ideas how to comfort her on the interview process? Our case is simple and straight forward, nothing out of the ordinary. Just two people who fell in love 7,000 miles apart.

Thank you so much for any suggestions.

If your case is straight-forward, there is nothing you have to worried about. My case was straight-forward, my fiance and I have been in relationship for over 5 years before filed I-129F. Better ask her to read reviews on the US embassy/consulate to get her an idea how the process would be. I spent hours reading reviews, step by step during the interview, and it made me more confident afterwards. Did she involve CCP?

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Duplicate thread removed~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

I had no clue on any visas or immigration laws and I did the K-1 alone and got approved. Just read the guides here and follow the instructions and you'll be fine. If you have any doubts/problems just ask and the members here will help you. Save your money no need for a lawyer. If your relationship is real no need to be nervous because the questions they ask, you should easily know the answers.

AOS

AOS EAD/AP sent: July 23rd

AOS EAD/AP received by USCIS( J Ibarra): July 25th

Email and Text Received: July 30th

NOA1 hard copy: August 4th

Biometrics letter received: August 18th

Biometrics appointment: August 29th

Biometrics completed: August 29th

EAD/AP approved: October 3rd

EAD/AP shipped with tracking number: October 9th

EAD/AP received: October 11th

Notice of potential inteview waiver letter received: November 17th

Dated: November 12th

EAD Renewal sent : June 11th

EAD Renewal NOA1 received: June 15th

Welcome letter received: July 2nd Dated: June 26th

My fiance consulted with a lawyer in assembling our I-129f, and guess what? we received an RFE after 6 months of waiting. and that was before I stumbled upon visajourney! Good for you and your fiancee that you discovered VJ in this initial part of your journey. As for nervousness, that's normal.

As mentioned above, the lawyers are there to just look through your paperwork / check which info is/are missing. Coaching would be merely telling you what the typical questions are in your consulate, which you can easily read off from the consulate reviews here.

I definitely agree with the suggestion of going with your fiancee to the interview if you're willing to spend some money. :)

Edited by sweet cakes

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

When the time comes, can you be there for her interview (whether it be at the actual interview or for moral support)? Knowing that you will be there might calm her nerves/worries.

This is a possibility. Although hard to predict because of work responsibilities, but defiantly a possibility. I think it would be more comforting if I was there.

I would much rather spend $1,500 on airfare to VN instead of a lawyer.

One issue that came up was that we only have known each other 5 months. In this time i visited her in Hanoi for one week in December and finished my vacation in January and we spent another week in Ho Chi Minh City. So I have visited 2x's each time for 1 week. The lawyer said that was not enough?

Timeline

I definitely agree with the suggestion of going with your fiancee to the interview if you're willing to spend some money.

This. I definitely think spending money for that is worth more than a lawyer. I spent the money I would have spent on a lawyer to visit my wife 2 times in Brazil and go to the interview with her.

Just my opinion, but I think this site is worth more than a lawyer, and it's free!

Timeline

So I have visited 2x's each time for 1 week. The lawyer said that was not enough?

Are you saying that you have only spent a total of 2 weeks together, period, or that you have only spent 2 weeks with her in her country?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.