msamulski

4 days after our marriage FEDS won't let K1 bride apply for a Social Security Number

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I posted about this a few days ago.

I didn't think this would become such a big mistake. I married my K1 fiancee last week. This week we went to the Federal Building so that she could apply for a Social Security card. BIG MISTAKE when I tried to have her apply for her Social Security Number in her non-maiden name (I showed the clerk a certified copy of our marriage abstract). They told us that the marriage has CHANGED her status and that her K1 documentation is no longer valid with regard to her right to apply for a Social Security Number. They told us we will now have to wait until we complete the AOS process before she can apply for a Social Security Number.

The real hurt is this:

Our marriage also put into motion my 30 day "life event" enrollment period which will allow me to add her and my new K2 son on my company health care insurance. I attempted to enroll my wife and child in my health care insurance this week, but the health care insurer will NOT let me enroll my dependents unless they have a Social Security Number. This "life event 30 day enrollment period" will now expire in 20 days. The next open enrollment for my health care insurer is not until next April.

Do I take my K1 wife back to the Federal Building and have her try to apply for a Social Security Number again (but this time attempt to conceal our recent marriage and have her apply with her maiden name)? Will they have a partially filled out application that reveals that I stated that we were already married.

If we concealed our August 31st marriage to get her a social security number, could it risk our AOS process?

The thought of having to wait for 8 more months to get her, and her son, included on my health care insurance makes me sick.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The marriage does not invalidate her K-1 entry status. Too many SSA works have no idea about immigration and tell people this nonsense all the time. I have seen people say they were even told they were now a K-3 instead, which is absurd.

If there is still time on the I-94, then go and apply again with the maiden name that matches her visa. No need to state you are married. She can get the name changed later. You can ask to speak with a supervisor if you still run into people that do not know what they are doing, Some people have even had luck going to the main SSA website and contacting them about their situation and troubles getting an SSN that they are eligible for.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to Social Security Numbers ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

1) They're talking out of their ###.

2) You are fully entitled to a social security number, whether you married or not, up until 14 days before your I-94 expires.

3) Ask to talk to a supervisor if they keep giving you this same #######.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Download & Printout this

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Good Luck

GOD Bless

Mr Pangga

Edited by Pangga&Shine

5 OCT 2011 Meet on a Free Christian Website www.jaderune.com
19 OCT 2011 Agree to be exclusive GF & BF after seeing her CENOMAR
10 NOV 2011 He Purchased Round Trip Ticket to Meet Me and Family.
7 to 27 FEB 2012 We Meet and Spent 21 Wonderful Days in Bohol.
26 FEB 2012 Engagement.
12 MAR 2012 I-129F Mailed to Dallas, TX Lock Box.
19 MAR 2012 USCIS email NOA1 and sent to California Service Center.
22 MAR 2012 NOA1 Letter I-797C received from snail mail.
20 APR 2012 Another NOA1 Letter I-797C this time with Alien # Added.
15 AUG 2012 She travels to Cebu an Obtained: NSO, NBI, BC and CFO Seminar Certificate in hand.
28 AUG 2012 NOA#2 I-797, received text and confirmed on dashboard. 162 days from NOA#1.
28 AUG 2012 FEDEX my packet to Her. Added I-134, Newly dated Intent to Marry Letter.
4 SEP 2012 FEDEX received in Bohol.
5 SEP 2012 MNL#, IIN# and BID# all retrieved from NVC.
6 SEP 2012 BPI payment made.
26 SEP 2012 St Lukes Medical PASSED smile.png
9 NOV 2012 Embassy Interview Date: Result = APPROAVED
15 NOV 2012 2GO Visa Delivered

22 NOV 2012 Point of Entry, Detroit, Michigan USA

28 NOV 2012 Marriage License

7 DEC Applied SSN, 17 DEC recieved SS Card

29 DEC Married

Adjustment of Status filed in Mid MAR 2013

AOS has 3 each NOA1 recieved

Biometrics was done mid April 2013.

SS Card changed to Married Name with Madien Name now middle name.

EAD / AP combo-card approved 18 MAY 2013.

AOS Interview was 28 MAY 2013, Approved.

Green Card with EAD/AP recieved 15 June 2013.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Apply with her maiden name. You will not be lying to them, it doesn't matter if you apply with her maiden or married name anyway. What matters is to get a SSN. She can update her name later.

Don't worry about the AOS process, it's not related. She does not need a SSN to apply for AOS.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

You should have done this, you should have applied first with a maiden name showing the SSA a valid passport with attached I-94 with 14days allowance before expiring then after the wedding you went back again to SSA and apply for a name change showing them the marriage certificate. Thats what I did. No problem with my application for SS#.

Simple, no hassle.

SSN is not required for health insurance purposes. Get them to use her passport number as a unique identifier.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

The insurance company is blowing smoke. Mine tried the same thing. It's the same as enrolling a newborn - you rarely get a SS number within 30 days but they have to enroll a newborn from day one pending the receipt of the card. You have a qualifying life event and they HAVE to honor their own terms. Get with HR and explain to them that you expect them to.

i don't get it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I say go back, show passport, visa, and I-94.

Ask for clerk to look up in SAVE database, Visa Name and/or A#.

Apply in VISA name.

Then go back next day, either getting the number or learning of new problems.

Clerk get confused, appear brain dead? Ask for supervisor to perform SAVE database lookup.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all,

I wonder, how long should a K1 applicant wait before applying for a SS number after POE?

Thanks in advance

The prevailing thing seems to be wait around 2 weeks. I don't know if the recent automated I-94 thing changed it so you don't have to wait. You can apply earlier, but if they can't find you in the computer it will take longer, so if you come and they can't find you, just tell them you'll come back later instead of making them request info from USCIS or whoever which takes forever.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please do not move my posting because I want more feedback before traveling back down to the Federal building tomorrow.

I didn't think this would become such a big mistake. I married my K1 fiancee last week. This week we went to the Federal Building so that she could apply for a Social Security card. BIG MISTAKE when I tried to have her apply for her Social Security Number in her non-maiden name (I showed the clerk a certified copy of our marriage abstract). They told us that the marriage has CHANGED her status and that her K1 documentation is no longer valid with regard to her right to apply for a Social Security Number. They told us we will now have to wait until we complete the AOS process before she can apply for a Social Security Number.

The real hurt is this:

Our marriage also put into motion my 30 day "life event" enrollment period which will allow me to add her and my new K2 son on my company health care insurance. I attempted to enroll my wife and child in my health care insurance this week, but the health care insurer will NOT let me enroll my dependents unless they have a Social Security Number. This "life event 30 day enrollment period" will now expire in 20 days. The next open enrollment for my health care insurer is not until next April.

Do I take my K1 wife back to the Federal Building and have her try to apply for a Social Security Number again (but this time attempt to conceal our recent marriage and have her apply with her maiden name)? Will they have a partially filled out application that reveals that I stated that we were already married.

If we concealed our August 31st marriage to get her a social security number, could it risk our AOS process?

The thought of having to wait for 8 more months to get her, and her son, included on my health care insurance makes me sick.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

She should've applied for a SSN in her maiden name or they should've told her to do so. Once she has her SSN she can get the name changed but then you have a number and you can always prove her name change with your marriage certificate. It's not like you're doing something illegal! That's how you're supposed to do it. Get married, apply for SSN in maiden name, then get a new card with married name on it.

Dec 6, 2011: We met online

Jan 4, 2012: We became a couple

March 30, 2012: Met in person

October 5, 2012: We got engaged & NOA1 date

April 10, 2013: NOA 2

April 24, 2013: Email with FRN case number received, petition is on its way to Frankfurt

April 30, 2013: Medical in Frankfurt completed

May 3, 2013: Packet 3 received

May 23, 2013: Packet 3 sent back

June 4, 2013: Packet 4 received

June 11, 2013: Interview ->approved

June 17, 2013: Visa in hand!

July 3, 2013: POE

July 17, 2013: WEDDING <3MARRIED TO MY HERO, MY SOLDIER, MY EVERYTHING :)

Nov 12, 2013: Filed AOS (+EAD&AP)

Nov 18, 2013: NOA1

Dec 20, 2013: Biometrics appointment

Jan 17, 2014: EAD card production

Jan 23, 2014: EAD combo card received

March 15, 2014: Received Potential interview waiver case letter

June 26, 2014: AOS approved, no interview!

Ive had a lot of problems with getting my SSN (should get it tuesday finally after waiting since March) but I came to the US on a K1 Visa. I applied once with my maiden name then with my married name. As long as her I-94 is still valid in her passport from POE she should be able to apply for a SSN. If it is expired then yes she will have to wait until AOS.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

And getting married didnt change her status.

I tried to get my card in my married name (because I didn't know they can't do it all at once) but it wasn't a big deal. They looked at the paper I filled out and our marriage certificate and told me that everything in their computer (info from uscis) is in my maiden name so they have to do it in 2 separate steps. That's how it's done and what they told you is BS. Don't worry, you'll be just fine. Maybe go to a different office and let her apply in her maiden name, then go back and change her name!

As long as her I-94 is still valid (I believe 2 weeks is the minimum) she can apply.

Dec 6, 2011: We met online

Jan 4, 2012: We became a couple

March 30, 2012: Met in person

October 5, 2012: We got engaged & NOA1 date

April 10, 2013: NOA 2

April 24, 2013: Email with FRN case number received, petition is on its way to Frankfurt

April 30, 2013: Medical in Frankfurt completed

May 3, 2013: Packet 3 received

May 23, 2013: Packet 3 sent back

June 4, 2013: Packet 4 received

June 11, 2013: Interview ->approved

June 17, 2013: Visa in hand!

July 3, 2013: POE

July 17, 2013: WEDDING <3MARRIED TO MY HERO, MY SOLDIER, MY EVERYTHING :)

Nov 12, 2013: Filed AOS (+EAD&AP)

Nov 18, 2013: NOA1

Dec 20, 2013: Biometrics appointment

Jan 17, 2014: EAD card production

Jan 23, 2014: EAD combo card received

March 15, 2014: Received Potential interview waiver case letter

June 26, 2014: AOS approved, no interview!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.