8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry if this question has been posted before but I need some clarification please. I've contacted numerous US and CAN agencies to get info but don't have anything decisive.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for over 2 years and would like to move in together. I am Canadian and he is an American. Ideally I would love to maintain my job in Canada, which would require crossing the border Mon-Fri, while he maintained his employment in the US.

From what I can ascertain, in order to do this I have two options. One: K1 Fiancee visa or Two: apply for a Green Card. While I love my boyfriend, I don't want to be forced into marriage 90 days after entry to the US, which is the requirement for the K1. Does the US not give people the option of living together prior to marriage? The modern, non-committal woman in me doesn't want to jump into marriage just to have the ability to live with someone I love.

Does this mean my only option is to apply for a green card? It looks like you can apply for a Green Card based on family, work or special status....none of which I think I qualify. I want to maintain my work in Canada, 'family' - see K1 above and I'm not seeking asylum.

I want to do everything legally but am just not sure where to start!

I'm sorry if this question has been posted before but I need some clarification please. I've contacted numerous US and CAN agencies to get info but don't have anything decisive.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for over 2 years and would like to move in together. I am Canadian and he is an American. Ideally I would love to maintain my job in Canada, which would require crossing the border Mon-Fri, while he maintained his employment in the US.

From what I can ascertain, in order to do this I have two options. One: K1 Fiancee visa or Two: apply for a Green Card. While I love my boyfriend, I don't want to be forced into marriage 90 days after entry to the US, which is the requirement for the K1. Does the US not give people the option of living together prior to marriage? The modern, non-committal woman in me doesn't want to jump into marriage just to have the ability to live with someone I love.

Does this mean my only option is to apply for a green card? It looks like you can apply for a Green Card based on family, work or special status....none of which I think I qualify. I want to maintain my work in Canada, 'family' - see K1 above and I'm not seeking asylum.

I want to do everything legally but am just not sure where to start!

I think everybody here is a modern. theres law requirments everybody has to go through...you have to be mentaly,pysicaly prepared, its seems like you have no option cuz you are not ready to get married you just need green card... here every couple is dying to be together forever as soon as possible they are willing to leave everything behind so they can jst be together with eachother for whole of life nd here you go you cant just leave your job nd be with your loved1 forever...Iam really sorry if i've said sometbhing wrong

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Once you enter on a K-1 you would not be able to depart for ~90 days (without abandoning your application).

Marrying and then filing for a CR-1 is probably your best choice, although you would not be able to keep your job in Canada doing this, since a green card is for living and working in the US.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from General Immigration to "What visa do I need" forum *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You cannot file for Green Card, either you apply for K1 and come to US get married within 90 days and continue the process which will get you GC or you get married out of US and your spouse in US will apply for CR1 and you get GC when you enter US.

Immigration to US is based on some relation, unfortunately there is no visa or status for couple who just want to stay together or try out a relation as it would lead to mass number of fraud cases.

If you don't want to get married, you have no options to live in the USA unless you want to try to work in the USA.

I suggest he come to visit with you in Canada instead. After 6 months living together, you're normally considered common-law and can apply for his Canadian permanent residency instead. (takes about 2 years after initial application, I suggest he gets an FBI name check before coming.)

To go to the USA, you need to be married, or have the intention of being married, or get a TN or H1B visa to work.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate all points of view.

I really do want to live and work in Canada so I guess we'll have to check our options on this side of the 49th parallel. Sadly, I can't have my cake and eat it too!!

There is a forum also dedicated to the road north: http://www.roadtocanada.com/forums/index.php

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.