risingjsun

RFE received: Circumstances of Meeting and Last Personal Meeting

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I got notification of an RFE being sent out on May 8 and May 13, 2013, and I just received the hard copy RFE in the mail on May 17, 2013. The RFE is asking to submit information regarding the circumstances under which the petitioner and beneficiary met to establish the relationship. Also, the RFE is asking to submit evidence of meeting the beneficiary in person within the two-year period preceding the filing of the petition.

I've given one sentence on the I-129F on the circumstances of meeting. The beneficiary was going to the same college I was attending, and we've been dating since. What more specifics do they want? An one page essay? Documents? College transcripts? College degrees?

For the last personal meeting, I didn't submit copies of my passport pages initially, showing that I traveled to my fiance's home country within the past 2 years, and I don't have the plane ticket stubs of that trip. Has anyone got an approval from just only submitting copies of passport pages?

Also, my RFE doesn't show a due date to turn in the RFE back to them. However, it says you are given until May 13, 2013 in which to submit the requested information to the address at the bottom of this notice. The notice date of the RFE IS May 13, 2013. Is this a typo? Or are they really expecting me to send the evidence on date that is already passed? (Note: the due date is BEFORE the date I received the hard copy RFE)

I just got off the phone with USCIS, and they didn't give me any help regarding my specific RFE. All thry told me was to make an InfoPass appointment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I gave 1 paragraph on how my husband (then fiance) and I met. I'm not sure if they would need more. Maybe a copy of both of your transcripts to show you attended college together? I'm not sure.

I haven't been active on the board for a while, but I have never recalled anyone getting approved only on passport alone (I know it doesn't seem logical). I recall people suggesting to submit a copy of your receipt for purchase the plane ticket, if you have an itenirary, and calling the airplane company to get a copy of the passanger manifest. The manifest would confirm that you were on board.

I hope this helps and other members can give you more insight as well.

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It is a two part question on Number 18. They want to know the story of how you met and started a relationship. Did you meet in class, a party, what. You went on a first date, and then started a relationship?

You need to copy your entire passport to show within the past two years you met. Do you have credit card receipts, purchases from duty free, hotel reservation receipts, etc...

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How about:

"We met while attending the college in April 2011 Our last time together was April 2013 or now. Obviously change the italics to the actual times. Then show proofs of being together. Those proofs should include visa stamps from passports, boarding passes, etc showing you were a) at the same place at the same time, and b) on a firm date within the last 2 years. Also add photos as secondary evidence.

Essentially all you're trying to prove by this statement is that you've been, without question, in each other's presence and undisputably within the last 2 years (which is why photos are secondary evidence, who knows when they might've been taken).

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes, I have submitted proof that we've met in person in the last 2 years, but I've submitted secondary evidence (pictures with date, location, etc. information labeled on the back, letters with postmarked envelopes, time stamped phone records). I would submit hotel receipts, duty free and credit card purchases from the beneficiary's country, but I didn't stay at a hotel; I stayed with her parent's home, and I didn't buy anything with credit cards and I didn't buy duty free stuff; all the purchases I made was with cash and, customary in her country, she did all the purchases, even if I wanted to use my own money (believe me or not).

So from what I'm getting from all the responses so far in my case is to use my passport stamps and plane ticket receipts, since those are the only things that can satisfy the RFE requirements. Should I include my beneficiary's passport stamps too? She visits me from time to time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, include any passport stamps from either of you that shows times when you visited each other. Receipts from using a debit or credit card while you were visiting can also be used with the stamps to show you were in each other's country at the time. If you did not keep the receipts, then perhaps bank/credit card statements show purchases made at those times. Use photos taken during those times as secondary evidence. Caption them with who is in them, where and when taken. If you have some photos with each other's friends and family, then include some of those too.

As for circumstance of meeting, you can certainly include proof of the two of you attending the same school at the same time. Transcripts should work.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

For future reference:

For I-129F question 18: Has your fiance(e) met and seen your within the two-year period immediately preceding the filing of this petition?

The answer "We have met and known each other ever since (date), when my fiance was an international student in (school name), the same university I attended in (date)" apparently is not good enough.

They ask for evidence of the beneficiary and petitioner having met each other in the past two years. My fiance and I have been steadily dating for six years and I have evidence having met each other in the past three, four, five, and six years.

Based on the "past two years" wording, will they accept evidence that is three or more years old?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

They ask for evidence of the beneficiary and petitioner having met each other in the past two years. My fiance and I have been steadily dating for six years and I have evidence having met each other in the past three, four, five, and six years.

Based on the "past two years" wording, will they accept evidence that is three or more years old?

No. It makes no difference how long you have been together or known each other. Have you not been together in person, face-to-face within the 2 years prior to filing your I-129F? If you did not, then you need to withdraw your I-129F petition, have another visit in person, then re-file using the evidence of that visit. There are two main requirements for the I-129F: 1) you are both free to marry at the time of filing and 2) you have met in person within the 2 years prior to filing.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No that's not what the qn is about at all. it is ONLY about when you last met IN PERSON. Mine read "I met Vanessa in person when she came to stay with me in the US for X days on X date". that was it

I sent ticket stubs, copies of passport stamps, itinerary and a couple of photos. Approved without issue.

This is VERY important to note. You must talk about meeting in person in the last two years. I submitted a paragraph that had one sentence of "We first met attending the same university" and the rest was "We lived in the UK for X TIME and traveled to France on X DATE for a vacation" to describe our meetings within the last two years.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes, I have submitted proof that we've met in person in the last 2 years, but I've submitted secondary evidence (pictures with date, location, etc. information labeled on the back, letters with postmarked envelopes, time stamped phone records). I would submit hotel receipts, duty free and credit card purchases from the beneficiary's country, but I didn't stay at a hotel; I stayed with her parent's home, and I didn't buy anything with credit cards and I didn't buy duty free stuff; all the purchases I made was with cash and, customary in her country, she did all the purchases, even if I wanted to use my own money (believe me or not).

So from what I'm getting from all the responses so far in my case is to use my passport stamps and plane ticket receipts, since those are the only things that can satisfy the RFE requirements. Should I include my beneficiary's passport stamps too? She visits me from time to time.

I would include anything you had to prove the visit . Perhaps include a personal letter explaining the customary conditions . It may help for them to uderstand why there isn't hotel or other purchases from the trip . If you haven't already have her begin to build a file for the interview too . Learning from this experience you should know what to include in it . You can always ask or look at other postings to help .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

we sent in a paragraph on how we met and a copy of my passport (all the pages). my passport had pages of me visiting him in his country. also photos of us in a place that has well know monuments. we didn't get an rfe with what we sent.

Edited by hnubno

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.