Laurka

It's not meant to be rude. Just a general observation.

75 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Me too. I think it ultimately comes down to this. If someone posts something you don't like, move on to another thread. No one is forcing you to read a particular thread.

As for whether people are lazy or not, I don't think that is necessarily the issue.

The issue is that this is a complex and overwhelming knowledge area. When you first come here, you don't even know what is what. You should be comfortable enough to ask the questions you need to to get your bearings. I would hope that these forums (fora???) are inviting enough for people to do that. Trust me, the dude who asked the clueless question may very well be the guy answering stuff in a few months. Pay it forward. But if you are feeling bummed but repetitive stuff, move along; there is nothing for you to see here.

I too will be crowing about my NOA2, so get ready folks smile.png

good.gif

People sometimes don't discover this site until they have sent their petition and want to know whether they got it right, others need reassurance that while they feel they're doing the right thing, that their interpretation is correct and does apply to their own circumstances. and we have seen where someone has sent in all the requirements but been sent an RFE, which just proves that the process is not always consistent.

It can be stressful and the petitioner may may just want some support - I agree that if you don't want to answer those ones... move on.

The more you read on VJ, the more you learn. Its easier to be an expert by the end of the process ... than at the beginning.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have read the same topic asked multiple times but I understand the reason it is being asked.

The internet has 1,000s of responses and can say contrary things so it feels safer to come to a community of people who have done the exact thing you are trying to do and are members to learn and help others.

English is not everyone's first language on here and even for educated English speakers the content can be confusing. I just received approval (twice) for the same AP I-131 and yet never received a card even when the USCIS website said it was sent. Why? because I received an I-512 combination card. I did not even know they existed, they weren't on the application that is part of the process (I-485, I-765, and I-131 together) and so I know they are unexpected twists and turns.

Also, when I have posted question A because the information on the packet wasn't clear some of the answers weren't clear. In other words just because a question is answered doesn't mean it answered the question and might need to be repeated.

Part of the reason people post is for reassurance. They may know the answer and yet they see people with the same file date get documents before them and the uncertainty sets in. Sometimes they ask a question to verify they are correct because the lack of information from the USCIS can cause doubts in even the most prepared and confident applicants.

Is there some laziness or repetition? Yes but that is why a community like this is so helpful. For the most part we are patient understanding and willing to explain multiple times if necessary to assist others in achieving their dream.

I see it is a frustration to you and the solution is simple, don't read the duplicates. There are others on here who it does not bother and they will answer the questions to help. We all have our pet peeves and this is one of yours and that is fine but it won't change and I am not sure it should. The open arms aspect of this community is what makes it special and unique.

Just my 2 cents worth

Me too. I think it ultimately comes down to this. If someone posts something you don't like, move on to another thread. No one is forcing you to read a particular thread.

As for whether people are lazy or not, I don't think that is necessarily the issue.

The issue is that this is a complex and overwhelming knowledge area. When you first come here, you don't even know what is what. You should be comfortable enough to ask the questions you need to to get your bearings. I would hope that these forums (fora???) are inviting enough for people to do that. Trust me, the dude who asked the clueless question may very well be the guy answering stuff in a few months. Pay it forward. But if you are feeling bummed but repetitive stuff, move along; there is nothing for you to see here.

I too will be crowing about my NOA2, so get ready folks :)

No, they're lazy. I researched this process online for months before I even sent the petition. I read the VJ guide, as well as other sites, and the USCIS instructions. After I felt comfortable that I put together a well-rounded package, I sent it.

And the questions I asked were about specific things that could be left to interpretation, not questions like "Hey, what do I do now? LMAO".

Edited by fantonledzepp

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Everyone here has different needs, so I don't really mind seeing a question come up that might be answered elsewhere.Sometimes there is a new way to say it, and it might relate better to ones mindset. But wasting space complaining about it is the same as complaining that you're tired of seeing a question about how slow approvals are coming , or that others are posting their Noa2 .being able to accept others shortcomings shows strength of character . Btw my smartphone has access to the full site . I would say its just that people like to relate to others no matter how simple the question.let's be patient with each other and remember this should be a place to support each other through a difficult time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

agree about using VJ on smartphone. I can't see certain things, and anvigatibility is very different from using VJ on PC/Mac. I read VJ on my smartphone when I'm on the go and don't have my mac with me, but will double check once I am able to get on a computer just to make sure. Some pages are not available on smartphones (due to the way they're designed) but I agree, there are some lazy people here who won't read guides but keep asking the same questions despite being told to read the guide.

I'd say these are new users tho, and didn't know about guides/VJ map. I sure did ask some questions without reading the guides at first, but thankfully some memebers pointed the guides out to me, so yea! Thanks and don't be too harsh :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

While I think this complaint is universal on any forum, it is possible that VJ just might be the exception. I am an engineer, meaning that allegedly I am not an idiot:) I also have 25 years experience writing technical documentation. I spent hours reading the guides and everything else here, yet still had questions. The knowledge that any mistake would be flagged by USCIS makes us all cautious and hesitant. So I asked a question or two.

Hell I am embarrassed to admit it but it took me about an hour to find the link to Igor's list that everyone was referring to.

A few months after I filed my petition my friend (another allegedly smart engineer) filed a petition for his fiancee. He read all the guides here too. Yes he was constantly pinging me asking questions.

Add to this the fact that for many members here English is not their first language. So let's cut people a little slack. As it's often said this is a difficult and stressful process!

You see, this is perfectly fine! This is the intelligent way to do it. You just said it. First read on your own, then when it's not clear you ask for explanations. That's the way it should go.I couldn't find Igor's list myself for quite some time, but I did. Somebody pasted the link to it and I saved it to my favorites! smile.png When I first started reading VJ, I had problems understanding many things: not the guides, but the VJ jargon with all its abbreviations(CSC, VSC, USC, AoS, AP, etc. you know what I'm talking about! Oh well, you just take some time to decode them and everything becomes clear smile.png

Second thing you mentioned here is the language barrier. I think it's very important that you highlighted it here. It is understandable when a foreign beneficiary wants to learn something for themselves and they're not fluent in English. But their USC fiance(e) should be helping them, shouldn't he/she? ;-) Anyway, this is cool and easily detectable by the way a post/question is formulated and we're not refusing them answers.

I do not think the OP was referring to questions people still have and ask about even after reading the form instructions and guides. I believe they were speaking about the basics such as what the filing fee is or what the mailing address is. The things that are clearly stated on the USCIS website and in the form instructions that everyone should read before filling out any form. That is the purpose of form instructions and are still asked constantly and those are definitely also easy to find with a simple search.

I also find it frustrating when someone asks a question, gets it answered and then asks it again, either right away, days, weeks or months later. I recently bowed out of a thread because I felt it was just going around in circles. You try to help and explain things, yet the same questions you and others just answered are asked again and again in the very same thread right after the answers and helpful links are provided.

Yes, you feel me! This is my point, this is what I'm talking about. I'm not against asking questions! I underlined it in my original post. The forum's very purpose is to do so. I was talking about the basics.

People sometimes don't discover this site until they have sent their petition and want to know whether they got it right, others need reassurance that while they feel they're doing the right thing, that their interpretation is correct and does apply to their own circumstances. and we have seen where someone has sent in all the requirements but been sent an RFE, which just proves that the process is not always consistent.

It can be stressful and the petitioner may may just want some support - I agree that if you don't want to answer those ones... move on.

The more you read on VJ, the more you learn. Its easier to be an expert by the end of the process ... than at the beginning.

Yes, it's true, and that's why we give this support! smile.png

In other words just because a question is answered doesn't mean it answered the question and might need to be repeated.

I see it is a frustration to you and the solution is simple, don't read the duplicates. There are others on here who it does not bother and they will answer the questions to help. We all have our pet peeves and this is one of yours and that is fine but it won't change and I am not sure it should. The open arms aspect of this community is what makes it special and unique.

Just my 2 cents worth

The first is true, but doesn't apply to my original post. The problem I stated is when a question that is asked has been answered clearly and plainly dozen times on the first two pages of the forum wink.png

And why I read duplicates and will continue to read them? Because when I see a subject of the topic (e.g. "Question 18"/"How we met question") I can't be 100% sure if it's the same simple question all over again or it has something very individual, specific and personal to it. Most of them don't, but some do. And if I can help, I always will.

Everyone here has different needs, so I don't really mind seeing a question come up that might be answered elsewhere.Sometimes there is a new way to say it, and it might relate better to ones mindset. But wasting space complaining about it is the same as complaining that you're tired of seeing a question about how slow approvals are coming , or that others are posting their Noa2 .being able to accept others shortcomings shows strength of character . Btw my smartphone has access to the full site . I would say its just that people like to relate to others no matter how simple the question.let's be patient with each other and remember this should be a place to support each other through a difficult time.

I don't think I'm wasting space by calling to read the guides and encouraging to do research (at least minimum amount of it), before posting. If I'm wrong then forum Administrators can remove the whole thread if they find it irrelevant or unnecessary wink.png I simply wanted to formulate my opinion as I've been lately seeing more and more posts of other members showing signs of similar feelings.

And to sum up: It doesn't matter at what point of one's journey VJ is discovered. USCIS website (concerning forms, not processing times wink.png ) and a local Embassy/Consulate website is one's primary source of information. VJ is secondary, but much much MUCH needed and providing invaluable help and support that is hard to find somewhere else. It's normal that more and more questions come with every next step we take in the process and we have to acquire new information all the time. This is unavoidable. What can be avoided is a question that would answer itself if you read the instructions or searched through USCIS website for packet filing address. That's all.

I like you VJ folks a lot goofy.gif Let's have a great week. I look forward to what it may bring me on my visa journey wink.png

Edited by Laurka

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I'm sure I'm guilty of this and in no way have I done it intetionally. I'm pretty sure people just want to double check and make sure they are doing things correctly. I don't think it's wrong. Sure, maybe it can be annoying for some but just remember we are all so nervous, anxious, whatever adjective you want to use that we all want to be 100% certain that everything is perfect dancin5hr.gif

event.png

It IS annoying, OP. Thanks for saying what many were thinking :)

guides6ly.gif AND timeline.gif

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~
NOA1: October 29, 2009
NOA2: January 21, 2010
Interview Date: April 12, 2010 - APPROVED!
Visa Received: April 26, 2010
POE: May 11, 2010
Wedding: May 21, 2010

~AOS/EAD/AP~
Sent: June 8, 2010
Received at Chicago Lockbox: June 10, 2010
Email/text notification of NOA1: June 16, 2010
Check cashed: June 17, 2010
Case shows up on USCIS website: June 18, 2010
Hard copies of NOA1's arrive: June 18, 2010
Touch on all 3 cases: June 21, 2010
Biometrics letter: Received June 24, 2010, scheduled for July 15, successful walk-in June 30th!
Touch on AOS/EAD cases: July 1, 2010
EAD and AP approval: August 6, 2010
EAD Card Production: August 9, 2010
AP received: August 13, 2010
EAD Card received: August 16, 2010
AOS Interview: August 23, 2010 APPROVED!

~ROC~
Sent: August 7, 2012
Check cashed: August 14, 2012
NOA1: August 10, 2012
Biometrics: September 13, 2012
RFE: April 1, 2013; response mailed April 2, 2013
Approved: April 22, 2013

Green Card Production ordered: June 12, 2013 (email received)

Green Card Received: June 17, 2013

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have been a member of vj for a long time....because of my situation the first time around when its time for me to journey the immigration process again i plan on asking every stupid question you can think of and probably some you cant think of just to satisfy myself that im doing everything that can and could be done the correct way.........smile.png

i can read and understand english......but like so many here i just will want to make sure i got it right........i never mind answering questions that i know the answer to..........i feel this forum is for everyone to find the right answer even if they have to ask the questions again and again to make their self feel sure they are dotting all their i's and crossing all their t's its a learning process and a help forum........

just my opinion

sara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Before anybody jumps to (wrong) conclusions (if they haven't yet ;) ), I ask questions myself. Have asked quite a few this past month (but mostly not on VJ though). I'm at the Embassy level and the Embassy in my country changed the rules on scheduling the interview not long ago, so people like me are often confused about how to proceed and folks who went through the same process only a year ago can't really give advice, because it's different now. Can't even count the times I spoke with consultants on the infoline service these two past weeks LOL Once I even found out that some info given on the Embassy website and given on a form to be printed is no longer up-to-date and still hasn't been updated. The only way to learn what it was all about was to make a phone call :/

So YES, I know how this process is and I know about asking questions content.gif

But after all, what is better and more effective? To post on the forum "How to contact my Representative?" and wait for somebody to answer or to type the same question in search engine like Google and get the immediate result? :>

I think the general point - if you don't want to answer the question , move on is probably best. I read up on the process here first and then asked some dumb questions - they're all dumb to *someone* else . People have been kind enough to answer them and I'll tut quietly and then answer other's questions when I know the answer is in the FAQs.

As to the command of English - this is a valid point and just because there's a USC petitioner it's not safe to presume anything about their command of English (like wot it is spoke in the US) so some questions are really one of comprehension of the USCIS requests. And of course those of us from the mother country <ducks> can still be caught out by what what the USCIS *mean* rather than what they say.

And finally - there is the issue of time. Time passes and facts change. One of the things I do on Google is set search time scales to as recently as I can get away with when searching on some matters. Same goes for VJ.

Now if we could just limit overquoting <mutter mutter mutter>

Edited by rjm_cmyk

Richard

event.png

event.png

• 5 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm not starting this topic to offend anybody or to start a beef just for the beef sake. After several months of being on this very helpful forum (it's a life saver in many cases! smile.png ), I have this general observation that people do not even bother to read instructions and guides. It seems they don't even bother to use a search engine to look for answers to their questions, but just bluntly create a new topic to ask their question that has been asked 3 to 5 times the very same day. Sometimes there are several topics one under the other(s) about the same thing. It makes the forum bigger and bigger mess every day.

I know this process is long, exhausting and above all confusing at many points. It really is and also has been for me. I always try to help whenever I'm logged in and I'm able to help (when I know how), because this is the main purpose of the forum -- to help and support each other. But even earlier today I read posts in a topic from more experienced forum members that the question about Texas lockobx and Texas Sevice Center comes up way too often and perhaps should be pinned somewhere to be visible. When I browse through the K1 forum, I see more and more replies that are only like "Read the guides" or "Follow this link", because these are basic questions!

It's all there in the Guides, in the Downloads, on the Visa FAQs etc. My plead for new users especially is to first research and read, and then if your question/issue is still not answered or it's very specific to formulate a question on the forum.

I wish you all a good day and above all as smooth visa journey as possible! star_smile.gif

bump

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm not starting this topic to offend anybody or to start a beef just for the beef sake. After several months of being on this very helpful forum (it's a life saver in many cases! :) ), I have this general observation that people do not even bother to read instructions and guides. It seems they don't even bother to use a search engine to look for answers to their questions, but just bluntly create a new topic to ask their question that has been asked 3 to 5 times the very same day. Sometimes there are several topics one under the other(s) about the same thing. It makes the forum bigger and bigger mess every day.

I know this process is long, exhausting and above all confusing at many points. It really is and also has been for me. I always try to help whenever I'm logged in and I'm able to help (when I know how), because this is the main purpose of the forum -- to help and support each other. But even earlier today I read posts in a topic from more experienced forum members that the question about Texas lockobx and Texas Sevice Center comes up way too often and perhaps should be pinned somewhere to be visible. When I browse through the K1 forum, I see more and more replies that are only like "Read the guides" or "Follow this link", because these are basic questions!

It's all there in the Guides, in the Downloads, on the Visa FAQs etc. My plead for new users especially is to first research and read, and then if your question/issue is still not answered or it's very specific to formulate a question on the forum.

I wish you all a good day and above all as smooth visa journey as possible! star_smile.gif

bump [again]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !