JP and Tee's US Immigration Timeline

blank avatar   Petitioner's Name: JP
Beneficiary's Name: Tee
VJ Member: JP and Tee
Country: Malaysia

Last Updated: 2013-08-05
Register or log in to follow this timeline


Immigration Checklist for JP & Tee:

USCIS I-130 Petition:      
Dept of State IR-1/CR-1 Visa:    
USCIS I-751 Petition:  
USCIS N-400 Petition:  

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Malaysia
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-06-25
I-130 Sent : 2012-08-15
I-130 NOA1 : 2012-08-20
I-130 RFE :
I-130 RFE Sent :
I-130 Approved : 2013-05-03
NVC Received : 2013-06-10
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2013-06-12
Pay AOS Bill : 2013-06-18
Receive I-864 Package :
Send AOS Package :
Submit DS-261 :
Receive IV Bill :
Pay IV Bill :
Send IV Package :
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :
Case Completed at NVC :
NVC Left : 2013-06-26
Consulate Received : 2013-07-02
Packet 3 Received : 2013-07-05
Packet 3 Sent : 2013-07-05
Packet 4 Received : 2013-07-16
Interview Date : 2013-08-01
Interview Result : Approved
Second Interview
(If Required):
Second Interview Result:
Visa Received : 2013-08-02
US Entry : 2013-08-07
Comments : Our case got expedited due to it being lost for about a month btw USCIS/NVC (after NOA2), also due to a pregnancy. Overall, it took us almost a year from application date (Aug 18 2012) to get approved (Aug 2 2013).
Estimates/Stats :
Your I-130 was approved in 256 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 346 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Port of Entry Review
Event Date
Port of Entry : Charlotte
POE Date : 2013-08-07
Got EAD Stamp :
Biometrics Taken :
Harassment Level :
Comments :

Member Reviews:

Consulate Review: Malaysia
Review Topic: IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Event Description
Review Date : August 14, 2013
Embassy Review : HI everyone,

I thought I'd do a review on my experience at the interview Aug 1st. I thought it'd be helpful since we don't have a lot of reviews on the US Embassy KL.


I stayed at GTower Hotel, which is about 10mins walk from the embassy. Got there at about 850am, the embassy seemed quiet, didn't see anyone lining up outside at all. Gave my IC to the guard, who then gave me a visitor's pass. Walked in through the door, went through security, left my blackberry and Lumia phone at the front before going in.

From what I know and based on reviews by others, I didn't bring my camera/Macbook Air, was told those would not be allowed into the embassy as well (tho im off the habit of taking them everywhere), I left them at the hotel. So if you're planning to read on your tablets while you wait, I'd suggest bring a book as your tablets would not be allowed inside.

Got in, chose a B number, mine was 411. Went to the door on the right, waiting area was FILLED with people (no wonder it was quiet outside, everyone was inside already haha), and waited. Sat from 9am, got called about 1030am. Went to room on left, to counter 10. Saw that staff had my I130 file open, he went through the document checklist and asked for the documents needed. Was not asked for the extra evidence of bona fide relationship at all (i brought more), but was told to bring it in case I'd be asked for more evidence during the interview in the afternoon.

It was then I found out my AOS form was missing page 3, and it was a copy so the staff wouldn't accept it. Almost had a heart attack, but recovered and asked if I could give him the original form later when I come back in the afternoon. He said it'd fine and to just tell the staff taking my biometrics to pass it on to him. I figured I must've left it at the hotel or something.

Paid IV fee USD230, used my US Bank credit card. They accept credit card (local/foreign) as well as cash payment in RM. I think on the day it was RM759.

Left at about 11am. Walked back to hotel, called my husband to tell him about what happened, got AOS form squared away. Rested and walked back to the embassy at about 115pm.

Got there about 130pm, again went through security. Went to room on right, waited again. Not many people, nerve-wrecking sitting there as even though there's like a glass booth in front of the counters, you can still hear the interviews going on. Esp when the interviewer used the microphone.

I was called at around 2pm, got my biometrics done by a nice Chinese lady at counter 5. She confirmed my name and the visa I was applying for. Told her I needed to pass the AOS form to the guy I saw this morning, passed it to her and waited some more.

At around 415pm, when I thought I was going to DIE from boredom (my back was killing me, sitting for long periods of time is NOT comfortable for a pregnant lady!), I got called to counter 5. Once I got into the glass booth, the interviewer asked MANY questions, most revolve around the same topic but worded differently. AMong them that I can still remember:

how long have you been married for
how did you meet each other
have you met each others families
details about visits to see each other - husband's visits to Msia, my visits to the US
what was your wedding date
what is your husband's rank, where is he stationed
when was my last visit to the US
details about wedding - who attended, who chose color scheme, where it was held
I spoke about our life after we got married and what we've achieved together - mentioned we bought a house, moved to a new base, celebrated Thanksgiving, Xmas, birthdays together as a married couple

Then after a barrage of questions (he actually asked me a lot of questions, and I think I spoke a lot more than I should've but I was nervous and that usually happen when I'm nervous haha), he stopped asking and started typing on the computer. I just stood there, not knowing wat to do. His face was unreadable, the glass window was all dusty so I couldn't see his face very well and assess what he was feeling so I was a lil nervous.

I must mention the interviewer DID NOT ask for any of the extra relationship evidence I brought with me, he just looked though our I130 packet and asked questions based on what he saw in there.

Then he said "okay, I'm going to approve your visa."

I was overjoyed, and said," OH really, that's great, thanks so much!! Now I can go home!" He smiled and told me not to go yet, since his colleague would call me back to give me instructions on where to collect my visa the next day. He then cancelled my tourist visa which I got in 2008, congratulated me and told me to wait for further instructions.

The interview only took about 10-15 minutes but it felt longer to me! I got out of the glass booth very excited, and sat for a few minutes before being called by the guy at Counter 10. He congratulated me then gave me a piece of paper, that told me to get my passport at 2pm the next day at the embassy. Wisma MCA is no longer the place to go get the passport so DON'T go there.

At about 445pm, I walked out feeling rather overjoyed. Called my husband to let him know the results.

I went back to the embassy at 2pm the next day, got my passport, was out by 330pm. Packed my bags, left for the US on the 6th.
Rating : Good

POE Review: Charlotte
Event Description
Entry Date : 2013-08-07
Embassy Review : Flight landed at 315pm, was told to go to visitors line, which at the time was a VERY LONG line, so the wait was quite long.

Finally got to the immigration officer. I handed over my passport and the sealed envelope. As he checked to make sure everything's okay, he asked me questions about my job, what visa I have, took my fingerprints and take my glasses off when he took the picture.

Then he gave me a number (1) and put the sealed envelope and passport into a folder, and told me to go through to the next checkpoint. Said an officer will assist me. I went to get my checked bags, and an airport staff helped me push the cart. Was told to wait in the small room, so waited for a few minutes before being called by another officer.

Was asked to sign a form, then the officer returned my passport, and congratulated me before saying, "welcome to the USA"! I was told my GC could be received anywhere from 4-6 months, maybe earlier.

I thanked them and got on my way. Finally saw my husband at 515pm! It was the long wait at the visitors line and getting my bags that took a lot of time. The POE was fairly hassle free, and the officers were nice.
Harassment Level : Low

Timeline Comments: None yet, be the first!

Register or log in to comment on this timeline

*Notice about estimates: The estimates are based off averages of other members recent experiences
(documented in their timelines) for the same benefit/petition/application at the same filing location.
Individual results may vary as every case is not always 'average'. Past performance does not necessarily
predict future results. The 'as early as date' may change over time based on current reported processing
times from members. There have historically been cases where a benefit/petition/application processing
briefly slows down or stops and this can not be predicted. Use these dates as reference only and do not
rely on them for planning. As always you should check the USCIS processing times to see if your application
is past due.

** Not all cases are transfered

vjTimeline ver 5.0