155 posts in this topic

A driver license is really the LEAST of your concerns at this point. These kind of stories fascinate VJers so that's why this is getting so much attention....people love to hear about others major problems.

Bottom line, get an attorney immediately. Like, before the day is up. You are probably in deportation proceedings already and you are damn lucky you've made it this far. At this point even a simple speeding ticket could put you in ICE detention and separated from your family for a long time. Don't waste another moment reading this thread!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Some studies have put the e-Verify failure rate at around 50%.

What?? This is just hilarious. Good luck to tightening workplace enforcement in the new immigration bill then... :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Oh ok, I didn't realize there has been arguments about that. I never read anything about that other then the letter that came with my husband's GC that says to have the card with you at all times. My husband carries his GC everywhere with him, unless he is going swimming. laughing.gif

Mine did too until he lost it...looked up how to replace it...a whopping $450.00!dead.gif We found it (thank God). He carried a State ID after that...

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

USCIS actually released an interim memo in December 2012 which detailed how adjudicators are meant to treat late I-751 filings: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Outreach/Feedback%20Opportunities/Interim%20Guidance%20for%20Comment/I-751-LateFiling-PM.pdf

In short, the policy memo states that if an untimely I-751 is filed along with a written explanation of the lateness then they will review your reason for filing late, along with any supplementary evidence you have included for the late filing, to see if it justifies "good cause" for the tardiness. If they believe you have demonstrated "good cause" then your I-751 is accepted for processing; if USCIS believe you have not demonstrated "good cause" then the I-751 is denied. If they're on the fence about it then they can issue an RFE to ask for further evidence as to the late filing.

If you file an untimely I-751 that does not include a written explanation of why you are applying late then they will issue you an RFE for an explanation. If you do not respond to the RFE in the allotted time, or they do not believe your response rises to the level of "good cause" then the I-751 is denied.

"I forgot for five years" is not going to cut it in this case. I very much doubt RoC is an option now.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Timeline

Alex don’t forget to let us know how it went with the lawyer. I say this because it wouldn’t surprise me that your lawyer would tell you not to talk about this with anyone else, including us, but please let us know anyway. Just keep anonymous and don’t give any specific information about your case or location. Because it’s good to have members input about special cases to be able to help future members.

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Oh yes it does.

Oh yes they are.

Not until one gets a 10 year GC the license will always be tied to the expiration of the conditional GC.

In their system the driver will be labeled as having a "temporary immigration status".

I'm sorry, but everyone going through ROC dreads renewing their DL, because of how DMV staff refuses to do so (sometimes) just based on seeing an expired GC.

You are wrong about DMV . It depends on the state, in WA I renewed my expired driver license in 2012 while on B1/B2 and with no SSN ( my driver license had expired 2 years prior to the renewal )

Adjusting from B1/B2

Exactly 3 months from the day we got married till the day I had both SSN and GREENCARD in hand !

Day 1 01/22/2013 AOS package sent

Day 8 01/28/2013 NOA 1 received

Day 15 02/04/2013Biometrics appt letter for 2/25/2013

Day 16 02/05/2013 Succesful walk in biometrics 20 days early

Day 25 02/14/2013 USCIS status changed to Testing and Interview ready for interview scheduling

Day 31 02/20/2013 Email notification that my interview is scheduled for March 21st

Day 57 03/19/2013 EAD/AP card ordered

Day 59 03/21/2013 Interview at 10.30 am Seattle Approved

Day 67 03/29/ 2013 Greencard Arrived . Applied for SSN

Day 68 03/30/2013 EAD arrived

Day 74 04/03/2013 SSN card arrived

Eligible for ROC December 21st 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** One post and several quoting/ related removed for covert advertising and name calling. Read our TOS before you post again ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You are wrong about DMV . It depends on the state, in WA I renewed my expired driver license in 2012 while on B1/B2 and with no SSN ( my driver license had expired 2 years prior to the renewal )

Yes, I am wrong then and I admit it.

My experience is based on the Northeast states, where it's impossible to get a license without ALL of the legal documentation.

Makes me sad that it's that easy to appear legal in certain states...

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Hi

So i got married December 2005 and got my Permanent Resident Card. No problem there.

2008 I finished my bachelor degree and got a job same year. So I worked for this company for 4.5 years and now I'm looking for another job.

Here is the problem.

My Permanent resident card expired 06/12/2008 and I didn't even know about it until now that I'm looking for a new job.

To add more to this thing, I got divorced December 2012 and have two children.

My question is, how do i renew my card?

Do I remove the condition (I-751), or do i apply for e new card (I-90)?

Any advice?

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad it helped you. I got email version before it was removed on the forum so I still read your reply. Too bad correct solution was removed but evidently this forum is not about helping others but make fun of them. I'm not going to cry about it but I'm not going to post anything anymore. Say thanks to Penguin_ie for removing your and my post for "covert advertising". What a joke.

Just for the record, did the lawyer confirmed what I had said? You don't have to post what the lawyer says (you may be accused of "covert advertising" if you do so) but if the lawyer agreed, the solution was already posted that Penguin_ie removed. Just say if your lawyer agreed with what I wrote :)

Thanks and good luck. You will be fine.

USCIS actually released an interim memo in December 2012 which detailed how adjudicators are meant to treat late I-751 filings: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Outreach/Feedback%20Opportunities/Interim%20Guidance%20for%20Comment/I-751-LateFiling-PM.pdf

In short, the policy memo states that if an untimely I-751 is filed along with a written explanation of the lateness then they will review your reason for filing late, along with any supplementary evidence you have included for the late filing, to see if it justifies "good cause" for the tardiness. If they believe you have demonstrated "good cause" then your I-751 is accepted for processing; if USCIS believe you have not demonstrated "good cause" then the I-751 is denied. If they're on the fence about it then they can issue an RFE to ask for further evidence as to the late filing.

If you file an untimely I-751 that does not include a written explanation of why you are applying late then they will issue you an RFE for an explanation. If you do not respond to the RFE in the allotted time, or they do not believe your response rises to the level of "good cause" then the I-751 is denied.

"I forgot for five years" is not going to cut it in this case. I very much doubt RoC is an option now.

Hi,

At least you showed an effort to find something of value. Unfortunately, this memo is not applicable in this case because this memo is all about what happens when you are late filling JOINTLY. Since he will need to file separately as he is divorced, there is no time limit when to apply. Just as the instruction says, file between you got your conditional card and before you get deported. And by the way deported means deported. It doesn't mean when deportation procedure started. So even if they started deportation procedure, you can still apply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Hi,

At least you showed an effort to find something of value. Unfortunately, this memo is not applicable in this case because this memo is all about what happens when you are late filling JOINTLY. Since he will need to file separately as he is divorced, there is no time limit when to apply. Just as the instruction says, file between you got your conditional card and before you get deported. And by the way deported means deported. It doesn't mean when deportation procedure started. So even if they started deportation procedure, you can still apply.

So since YOU are the legal expert, why don't you tell the OP what the rules are in his (quite complicated) case?

May I remind you that he missed the deadline to remove conditions while still married to his spouse (so the requirement to file jointly at that point - back in 2008 - was in full standing)? OP only became divorced very recently (December 2012), so does his very recent divorce supersede to requirement he had to file jointly all the way back in 2008, while he'd already been out of status for over 4 years by the time of his divorce?

I'm glad Penguin removed those posts and please read the Terms of Use because you continue to attack the people in this forum which is not allowed. I hope you comply (though personally I'd want your account suspended - not because as you said, we want to "hide the truth" from the OP - like, really??rolleyes.gif- but rather you came here and started insulting people on your very first post, and because of this I'm still not convinced about your genuine intentions).

'Nough said.

OP- seek a good lawyer. Someone competent, with plenty of experience in complicated cases and someone who will preferably will not sugar coat the truth for you.

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi,

At least you showed an effort to find something of value. Unfortunately, this memo is not applicable in this case because this memo is all about what happens when you are late filling JOINTLY. Since he will need to file separately as he is divorced, there is no time limit when to apply. J

Yes, there is - immediately after divorce if happens prior to card expiration. Interpretation of not having time limit if divorced after expiration and without filing at 2 years is pure non-sense - for the reason that poster above stated.

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I sow you post last night before it was removed, you had good points and I agree with you. The person that deleted your post mean purpose was to stop Alex from see in it. I don’t think you were insulting anyone on that post. Send your post directly to Alex by clicking on his user name. Don’t post it here. Like you pointed out on that post, the ultimate immigration authority is not uscis it’s an immigration judge, and you could be also right about his case not been difficult to win at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.