155 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Yes, I am wrong then and I admit it.

My experience is based on the Northeast states, where it's impossible to get a license without ALL of the legal documentation.

Makes me sad that it's that easy to appear legal in certain states...

Actually not having an SSN doesn't make you illegal. For instance H4 visa holders have no right to work s no SSN but can live in the US for years and they can also go to school. In states where you must have a SSN to drive yu are screwed if you are on a H4 visa. That was my situation when I first got my US driver license. Luckily WA did not require SSN at the time.

Adjusting from B1/B2

Exactly 3 months from the day we got married till the day I had both SSN and GREENCARD in hand !

Day 1 01/22/2013 AOS package sent

Day 8 01/28/2013 NOA 1 received

Day 15 02/04/2013Biometrics appt letter for 2/25/2013

Day 16 02/05/2013 Succesful walk in biometrics 20 days early

Day 25 02/14/2013 USCIS status changed to Testing and Interview ready for interview scheduling

Day 31 02/20/2013 Email notification that my interview is scheduled for March 21st

Day 57 03/19/2013 EAD/AP card ordered

Day 59 03/21/2013 Interview at 10.30 am Seattle Approved

Day 67 03/29/ 2013 Greencard Arrived . Applied for SSN

Day 68 03/30/2013 EAD arrived

Day 74 04/03/2013 SSN card arrived

Eligible for ROC December 21st 2014

Filed: Timeline

So since YOU are the legal expert, why don't you tell the OP what the rules are in his (quite complicated) case?

May I remind you that he missed the deadline to remove conditions while still married to his spouse (so the requirement to file jointly at that point - back in 2008 - was in full standing)? OP only became divorced very recently (December 2012), so does his very recent divorce supersede to requirement he had to file jointly all the way back in 2008, while he'd already been out of status for over 4 years by the time of his divorce?

I'm glad Penguin removed those posts and please read the Terms of Use because you continue to attack the people in this forum which is not allowed. I hope you comply (though personally I'd want your account suspended - not because as you said, we want to "hide the truth" from the OP - like, really??rolleyes.gif- but rather you came here and started insulting people on your very first post, and because of this I'm still not convinced about your genuine intentions).

'Nough said.

OP- seek a good lawyer. Someone competent, with plenty of experience in complicated cases and someone who will preferably will not sugar coat the truth for you.

I sow that post too and he had good very good arguing points that basically cancel your points out. For me these good points are the real reason you are happy that his post was removed. He wasn’t attacking anyone. The only been attack here is Alex.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I sow that post too and he had good very good arguing points that basically cancel your points out. For me these good points are the real reason you are happy that his post was removed. He wasn’t attacking anyone. The only been attack here is Alex.

Yeah, the points argued (in that pseudo authoritative post) are moot.

It's a very stupid way of thinking, but hey, people here don't forget to file ROC for 5 years and also people here do not forget important details, like, ahem, card expiration date.

So yes, let the OP get an awesome lawyer and we'll see where he ends up (all the money in my pocket are - he ends up in his home country).

Actually not having an SSN doesn't make you illegal. For instance H4 visa holders have no right to work s no SSN but can live in the US for years and they can also go to school. In states where you must have a SSN to drive yu are screwed if you are on a H4 visa. That was my situation when I first got my US driver license. Luckily WA did not require SSN at the time.

I don't believe I was insisting on SS Card (number) being the most important piece of documentation to get DL. (even though in the states I've lived at it is required).

I was more concerned about people not having to present evidence of being in this country legally while getting/renewing their DL.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

He specifically said most people who responded to this thread were "a bunch of idiots" - that's his own words. Then after the mods deleted his entry where he claimed he has a ton of legal expertise and he can help you with any type of complicated visa (does that smell covert advertising to you? - it sure does to me, and it sure did to the mods), he came back to say we are mean, are trying to hide the truth from the OP and that the forum is a joke. So he continued to breach the Terms of Use. Why oh why would anyone want to hide the truth from the OP? You think we are a bunch of mean people trying to destroy other people's lives? If that's what you think of the other members, then what are you doing in this forum?

For the last time - the OP was married, had a 2 year conditional green card and had a legal requirement to file ROC jointly back in 2008, which he didn't. That automatically put him out of status and made him immediately deportable. Years later, and after long being out of status, he became divorced. The two are not related because he had been out of status way before he got his divorce. So the advice that matwoj is trying to present as "the truth" would apply if the OP had been divorced before his legal requirement to file ROC was up. But does it apply in this case where the requirement to jointly file ROC long preceded the divorce (by 4 or more years)? Only a competent immigration lawyer can find ways to go around that, and Alex needs to find one. In other words, this is a very complicated case and we're not helping the OP by bickering. Nobody here claims to be a legal expert, we are happy to stand corrected if we make a mistake and someone can prove it, but we don't go about it insulting each other. The fact that matwoj wrote his very first post claiming he knows the law, is experienced in complicated cases (advertising?) and insulting everyone else is not fair play, and that's where my objection was from the beginning. By the way and for the record, nobody said that there's absolutely no way that Alex will win this case. We just said he needs a very competent lawyer because his situation is grim, and he needs to be aware that his case is going to be anything but a walk in the park and that yes, he could be deported if his case is denied. If that sounds like an attack or insult to you, then I guess we just have very different interpretations of what an insult means.

But I digress. I'm not here to make enemies. I have no further interest in this topic the way it has diverted to bickering instead of addressing the OP's case, so I'm leaving this thread quietly. I wish the OP good luck in sorting his problem out.

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Closed due to bickering and as the OP got his answer. Do NOT re-open this topic. If OP wishes to come back and provide an update after he has successfully ROC'd (or been denied), he can PM any moderator to open the topic briefly so an update can be provided *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.