farru83

Fiancee coming to USA in a month, got a quick question.

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I was thinking of the going to Switzerland, but maybe Hawaii will have to do for now...

So once I apply for AOS, I can also apply for AP, and that should take about 3 months to get to us. So you're saying she can travel out of the country, and then back again with the AP, all while waiting for the greencard? BTW, how long would the greencard take? standard 5 months?

We have been waiting over 5 months and haven't received an interview letter yet. It seems to be taking more like 6-10 months if you are being processed at the NBC. Some cases (supposedly it is random)are sent from NBC to local field office where you live to be processed. If that is the case then you will have an interview and that seems to be taking around 4-5 months depending on the local office. If your petition stays at the national benefits center to be processed then plan on 6- 10 months

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I was thinking of the going to Switzerland, but maybe Hawaii will have to do for now...

So once I apply for AOS, I can also apply for AP, and that should take about 3 months to get to us. So you're saying she can travel out of the country, and then back again with the AP, all while waiting for the greencard? BTW, how long would the greencard take? standard 5 months?

Make sure you get a direct flight to hawaii, if you have a stopover in another country its the same as leaving the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Damn that's a long time! took my 5 months exact to get my greencard.

Thanks for the form. I will apply for the AP card along with the AOS application. If I get it in time, then I will visit outside the US. Otherwise I'll stay put.

I think it takes about 2 or 3 months to get AP and EAD, after you get married. So there is no way you can leave the country right after getting married. But if your fiancé gets in the US in a month and you get married right away, fill AOS and AP right away... means you could plan your trip in july or august... summer time is rather nice in Europe. Where is your fiancé from?

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

You cannot go to Canada until you get your GC. That is my understanding. I am not sure about the AP being valid for this.Just wait a bit, do the right thing by applying for the AOS and get enjoy your new wife here before going out someplace in Europe.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You cannot go to Canada until you get your GC. That is my understanding. I am not sure about the AP being valid for this.Just wait a bit, do the right thing by applying for the AOS and get enjoy your new wife here before going out someplace in Europe.

You CAN go to Canada if you have your AP.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thanks,

Can she at least enter Canada and visit Niagra Falls? Or does that fall under the same ruling?

You can see Niagra Falls in NY

May God bless and keep you always~ May your wishes all come true~ May you always do for others~ And let others do for you~

May you build a ladder to the stars~ And climb on every rung~May you stay forever young

Bob Dylan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We went through without any problems, filing a day after our wedding and receiving AP and EAD in 70 days and the greencard in the mail in about 95 days, a year and a day after we first met. Be ready to file right after your wedding by following the guides here without taking any chances, i.e. get the I-693 filled out by a civil surgeon and take lots.of photos for your interview.

Steve from Jamnan_n_Steve

Off on Monday for a visit back to Thailand without any U.S. paperwork to.complete but some forms to fill out in Thai, but that will be Jamnan's problem

Since she has never been to the United States before, you could try visiting any of a number of different places she's never been to before. Since you would like Europe (and not the Carribean), try some of these places: New York, NY; Bar Harbor, ME; Nantuket Island; Poconos, PA; Boston, MA; Charleston, SC; San Fransico, CA; Portland, OR; Las Vegas, NV; Seattle, WA; New Orleans, LA; Washington, DC (Get to know her new capital!)... The list goes on. Just do a search for US Vacation areas on the Internet and see what comes up!

Then, try the European vacation next year or the year after. She can fly anywhere in the USA as long as she has a State Issued ID Card, but no connections out of the country!

Edited by Waiting234

I am the USC.

--------------

Permanent Resident since December 23, 2013

Filed N-400, February 8, 2017

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

The US Virgin Islands has been suggested before as being sort-of-foreign. But you have to be really careful with international borders. Once you're out, you're out. And you can't get back in if you don't have your AP card.

Unless your spouse is from a VWP country, there is likely a lot of the USA they haven't seen before. Pick an area and go on a road trip. Very American!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

You will need Advance Parole first, as others have mentioned. Maybe do a short honeymoon within the states and then plan a longer one after you receive your advance parole/re-entry documents! Good luck!

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

What kind of visa is she using to enter to the US? A K1 VISA?

if is that the case, she cannot leave the country unless she has her ap or greencard. The k1 visa is valid for only 1 entry. But if you she is entering with a TOURIST VISA let me tell you that is pretty much ILEGAL to enter to the States with the clear intention of getting married FYI

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Timeline

But if you she is entering with a TOURIST VISA let me tell you that is pretty much ILEGAL to enter to the States with the clear intention of getting married FYI

:no: You can enter on a tourist visa, with the full intent of getting married. If you come on a tourist visa, to marry a USC with the intent of staying and not leaving once your visa expires, that is a whole different issue.

Edited by The Patriot

Timeline

:no:

NO WHAT? is ilegal to use a tourist visa with the intention to get married...that's why we have k1/cr1/ir1 visas :bonk: read more

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

well is kind the same issue! must of the people who get married under the tourist visa...never get back home at least for while :bonk:

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.