Penny Lane

Woman 'denied a termination' dies in hospital

127 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

nursing school wasn't that hard. less than 3 years. hardly cracked a book, but i sure learned a lot.

what i learned is that nurses are bitches, generally unhappy with their lack of "autonomy". the backstabbing is unreal.

anyway, after pulling the knives out of my back i am again employed as a senior quality auditor in heavy steel.

i am auditing bridge manufacturers on contract to states of hew hampshire, massachusetts, and maryland, lately.

currently on a field assignment in rural maine, hanging out with the moose hunters and skiing crowd, just downslope from sugarloaf.

nursing is just too nasty an environment for me, and i make more bux doing this kind of work, anyway.

looks like i will be going back to china on a contract in april or may. prolly Quinhuangdao at CRSBG, but maybe Zhenhua Heavy, in Shanghai.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

nursing school wasn't that hard. less than 3 years. hardly cracked a book, but i sure learned a lot.

what i learned is that nurses are bitches, generally unhappy with their lack of "autonomy". the backstabbing is unreal.

anyway, after pulling the knives out of my back i am again employed as a senior quality auditor in heavy steel.

i am auditing bridge manufacturers on contract to states of hew hampshire, massachusetts, and maryland, lately.

currently on a field assignment in rural maine, hanging out with the moose hunters and skiing crowd, just downslope from sugarloaf.

nursing is just too nasty an environment for me, and i make more bux doing this kind of work, anyway.

looks like i will be going back to china on a contract in april or may. prolly Quinhuangdao at CRSBG, but maybe Zhenhua Heavy, in Shanghai.

Seeing through the shooter speak I read:

"Nursing school was too hard, I totally sucked at it. I thought I would be able to snap my fingers and con my female colleges into doing my work for me, but they turned out to be practical, sensible people who weren't impressed by my buillshit. When that penny finally dropped, I just couldn't hack it and knew if I carried on I would fail miserably so I dropped out. I now now have to try to get myself back into my old field. Unfortunately, it's hard to get hired as I am a bit too old and do not have a very impressive CV so I might have to go to look abroad to gt a job that suits me"

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

"Nursing school was too hard, I totally sucked at it. I thought I would be able to snap my fingers and con my female colleges into doing my work for me, but they turned out to be practical, sensible people who weren't impressed by my buillshit. When that penny finally dropped, I just couldn't hack it and knew if I carried on I would fail miserably so I dropped out. I now now have to try to get myself back into my old field. Unfortunately, it's hard to get hired as I am a bit too old and do not have a very impressive CV so I might have to go to look abroad to gt a job that suits me"

I think you nailed it! :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Ireland to clarify abortion rules after woman's death

(Reuters) - Ireland's government pledged on Thursday to clarify its abortion laws after an Indian woman who was refused a termination died from blood poisoning in an Irish hospital.

Thousands took to the streets to protest on Wednesday after news broke of the death of Savita Halappanavar of septicemia following a miscarriage 17 weeks into her pregnancy.

Activists in the overwhelmingly Roman Catholic country, which has some of the world's most restrictive laws on abortion, say the refusal by doctors to terminate the pregnancy earlier may have contributed to her death.

"I was deeply disturbed yesterday by what Savita's husband said. I don't think as a country we should allow a situation where women's rights are put at risk in this way," Deputy Prime Minister Eamon Gilmore told parliament on Thursday.

"There is no question of equivocation. We need to bring legal clarity to this issue and that is what we are going to do."

Irish law does not specify under what circumstances the threat to the life or health of the mother is high enough to justify a termination, leaving doctors to decide. Critics say this means doctors' personal beliefs can play a role.

Halappanavar was admitted to hospital in severe pain on October 21 and asked for a termination after doctors told her the baby would not survive, according to her husband Praveen.

The foetus was surgically removed when its heartbeat stopped days later, but her family believes the delay contributed to the blood poisoning that killed Halappanavar on October 28.

Praveen said he would wait for the results of an investigation before deciding whether to sue, but that Ireland's Roman Catholic tradition appeared to have been a factor in the decision to deny a termination.

"I am still in shock. It is hard to believe that religion can mean somebody's life," Praveen Halappanavar told Reuters. He said he planned to return to Ireland from India, where he traveled with his wife's body.

The Irish health authority (HSE) has launched an inquiry which the health minister said must "stand up to the scrutiny of the world." Irish media said Praveen would be interviewed.

The Indian couple were resident and working in Ireland, he as an engineer and she as a dentist.

POLITICAL STORM

Despite a dramatic waning of the influence of the Catholic Church, which dominated politics in Ireland until the 1980s, successive governments have been loath to legislate on an issue they fear could alienate conservative voters.

Fine Gael, the senior partner in Ireland's ruling coalition, told supporters before a recent election that it would not introduce new laws allowing abortion during its five-year term, despite pressure from its junior partner Labour to act.

The government said it had received long-delayed recommendations from an expert panel on introducing new rules on abortion, and would report before the end of the month.

Four out of five Irish voters support a change in the law to permit abortion in cases where a mother's life is at risk, according to a recent opinion poll.

But a vocal anti-abortion minority has dominated the debate on abortion in Ireland in the past, with campaigners arguing that the adoption of legislation or guidelines for medical terminations would bring in abortion through the back door.

In 1992, when challenged in the "X-case" involving a 14-year-old rape victim, the Supreme Court ruled that abortion was permitted when the woman's life was at risk, including from suicide. A European Court of Human Rights in 2010 ruled that Ireland must clarify what this means in practice.

"This is exactly what the (European) court was complaining about ... The court has not said Ireland must or must not have abortion, they said they have to clarify circumstances," said Ronan McCrea, a barrister and lecturer in law at University College London.

"The vagueness ... gives excessive scope to doctors to follow their own personal views or it means even if they want to give the treatment, they'll fall foul of the law," he said.

Halappanavar's death has dominated debate in Ireland's parliament since news of it broke on Wednesday. Her photograph was spread across front pages of all Ireland's major newspapers on Thursday, while editorials demanded action from politicians.

The fact that she is a foreign national has heightened the government's embarrassment. The story was on the front of several large Indian newspapers and family members were featured on national television.

The Indian government said on Thursday it deeply regretted Halappanavar's death. "The death of an Indian national in such circumstances is a matter of concern," a spokesman said

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I didn't get a chance to comment on this post.

I disagree with the hospital. These two couples are more than capable of supporting 5 children or more based on their income level. They both are super educated. One is an Engineer, and the other is a Dentist. Even people of the top profession fall victim to some stupid rule that was created by someone who earned a C+ in Art Class with no knowledge of the implication of what the consequences will be.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Nursing is a very challenging field. It takes a great deal of compassion and dedication to be a good nurse. Not everyone has this ability. There are some out there with an 'RN' who will never be a real nurse!

You sound much better suited to be a government inspector!

Timeline

i guess that's your projection sounding off again. truth is, i was quite bored for most of the academics, and terribly dissapointed in the clinicals, though i excelled in both. most of my classmates were not practical or sensible, and they looked up to me for guidance, in general. i saw the program thru, though i never bothered with NCLEX, realising that i would never practice, anyway.

things that riled my sensibilities: petty attitudes in working nurses that i clinicaled with, outright lying by nursing staff to clients and supervision, rampant med administration errors, avoidance of patient care in favor of time spent in the nursing lounge, talking about clients instead of talking to them, etc. this at a top rated wellspan hospital. the worst, though, was the "thin white line" conspiracy to conceal truth that is taught in nursing school and enforced in practice. the rule is, never tell the truth in client record about errors that others make, because it might expose the hospital to suit, should such record be subpoenaed.

as for getting back into inspection, well, an old friend rolled into my driveway one day and begged me to cover an assignment that had opened in their area. since then the phone is ringing off the hook, with 4-5 agencies trying to steal me away from this commitment, or come on board with them when i'm thru here. it's actually quite flattering, but a guy can only work for one client at a time. as for my CV, it shows me covering 5 engineers and 35 million dollars in product per year in recent past. anybody that can sign off on that kind of product is gonna be in demand. sorry that you will never understand.

Nursing is a very challenging field. It takes a great deal of compassion and dedication to be a good nurse. Not everyone has this ability. There are some out there with an 'RN' who will never be a real nurse!

You sound much better suited to be a government inspector!

compassion was what was lacking in my view. i was disappointed in the people working in nursing, and decided that i could not be one of them.

i guess that's your projection sounding off again. truth is, i was quite bored for most of the academics, and terribly dissapointed in the clinicals, though i excelled in both. most of my classmates were not practical or sensible, and they looked up to me for guidance, in general. i saw the program thru, though i never bothered with NCLEX, realising that i would never practice, anyway.

things that riled my sensibilities: petty attitudes in working nurses that i clinicaled with, outright lying by nursing staff to clients and supervision, rampant med administration errors, avoidance of patient care in favor of time spent in the nursing lounge, talking about clients instead of talking to them, etc. this at a top rated wellspan hospital. the worst, though, was the "thin white line" conspiracy to conceal truth that is taught in nursing school and enforced in practice. the rule is, never tell the truth in client record about errors that others make, because it might expose the hospital to suit, should such record be subpoenaed.

as for getting back into inspection, well, an old friend rolled into my driveway one day and begged me to cover an assignment that had opened in their area. since then the phone is ringing off the hook, with 4-5 agencies trying to steal me away from this commitment, or come on board with them when i'm thru here. it's actually quite flattering, but a guy can only work for one client at a time. as for my CV, it shows me covering 5 engineers and 35 million dollars in product per year in recent past. anybody that can sign off on that kind of product is gonna be in demand. sorry that you will never understand.

compassion was what was lacking in my view. i was disappointed in the people working in nursing, and decided that i could not be one of them.

Why bother to even respond? I believe you are a fantasist that gets some kind of ego boost from boasting on internet message boards. Nothing you can say will ever change my opinion, you can't articulate a convincing argument as to why I should. Forget it, I don't believe you, end of.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Why bother to even respond? I believe you are a fantasist that gets some kind of ego boost from boasting on internet message boards. Nothing you can say will ever change my opinion, you can't articulate a convincing argument as to why I should. Forget it, I don't believe you, end of.

you are a frustrated individual projecting your failure on accomplished persons, rather than empowering yourself.

think about it, friend.

do you ski? i'm working at the foot of sugarloaf right now. if you wanna visit your room is on me.

Filed: Timeline

you are a frustrated individual projecting your failure on accomplished persons, rather than empowering yourself.

think about it, friend.

do you ski? i'm working at the foot of sugarloaf right now. if you wanna visit your room is on me.

are you two going to fight? if so I want to come

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

are you two going to fight? if so I want to come

i think mc will have him making the sammiches.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
You're one of those ####### retentive types?
Excuse us, but "#######-retentive" IS ALWAYS HYPHENATED, EVEN IN PREDICATE POSITION, si man. :lol: Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).