Penny Lane

Woman 'denied a termination' dies in hospital

127 posts in this topic

Two investigations are under way into the death of a woman who was 17 weeks pregnant, at University Hospital Galway last month.

Savita Halappanavar (31), a dentist, presented with back pain at the hospital on October 21st, was found to be miscarrying, and died of septicaemia a week later.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar (34), an engineer at Boston Scientific in Galway, says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, “this is a Catholic country."

She spent a further 2½ days “in agony” until the foetal heartbeat stopped.

Intensive care

The dead foetus was removed and Savita was taken to the high dependency unit and then the intensive care unit, where she died of septicaemia on the 28th.

An autopsy carried out by Dr Grace Callagy two days later found she died of septicaemia “documented ante-mortem” and E.coli ESBL.

A hospital spokesman confirmed the Health Service Executive had begun an investigation while the hospital had also instigated an internal investigation. He said the hospital extended its sympathy to the family and friends of Ms Halappanavar but could not discuss the details of any individual case.

Speaking from Belgaum in the Karnataka region of southwest India, Mr Halappanavar said an internal examination was performed when she first presented.

“The doctor told us the cervix was fully dilated, amniotic fluid was leaking and unfortunately the baby wouldn’t survive.” The doctor, he says, said it should be over in a few hours. There followed three days, he says, of the foetal heartbeat being checked several times a day.

“Savita was really in agony. She was very upset, but she accepted she was losing the baby. When the consultant came on the ward rounds on Monday morning Savita asked if they could not save the baby could they induce to end the pregnancy. The consultant said, ‘As long as there is a foetal heartbeat we can’t do anything’.

“Again on Tuesday morning, the ward rounds and the same discussion. The consultant said it was the law, that this is a Catholic country. Savita [a Hindu] said: ‘I am neither Irish nor Catholic’ but they said there was nothing they could do.

“That evening she developed shakes and shivering and she was vomiting. She went to use the toilet and she collapsed. There were big alarms and a doctor took bloods and started her on antibiotics.

“The next morning I said she was so sick and asked again that they just end it, but they said they couldn’t.”

Critically ill

At lunchtime the foetal heart had stopped and Ms Halappanavar was brought to theatre to have the womb contents removed. “When she came out she was talking okay but she was very sick. That’s the last time I spoke to her.”

At 11 pm he got a call from the hospital. “They said they were shifting her to intensive care. Her heart and pulse were low, her temperature was high. She was sedated and critical but stable. She stayed stable on Friday but by 7pm on Saturday they said her heart, kidneys and liver weren’t functioning. She was critically ill. That night, we lost her.”

Mr Halappanavar took his wife’s body home on Thursday, November 1st, where she was cremated and laid to rest on November 3rd.

The hospital spokesman said that in general sudden hospital deaths were reported to the coroner. In the case of maternal deaths, a risk review of the case was carried out.

External experts were involved in this review and the family consulted on the terms of reference. They were also interviewed by the review team and given a copy of the report.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1114/1224326575203.html

Another example of why religious beliefs should have no power to dictate the care someone receives.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

what happened is "standard of care" in many countries. termination of a viable is not justifiable unless there is imminent threat to the mother. 20 weeks is viable. it is possible to give drugs that inhibit labour for as long as 3-5 weeks, and other drugs that cause fetal lung maturation, allowing for successful delivery as early as 20 weeks.

what happened here was that the caretakers tried to save the baby, knowing full well of the risk of infection that the cervical dilation presented. i am sure they treated it with a broad spectrum anti-biotic. in clinical i attended a similar case with 4cm dilation and a LEEP impairment. the mother and child both survived the hospitalization (15th thru 20th week) and delivery.

sometimes standard of care gives the intended result. sometimes it does not, but it's the best we have.

this is not about "religious beliefs". it is about the life of an unborn child. when you hold your first child in your hands you will understand. when you hold your first grandchild you will know it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Edited by justashooter

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

THis happened in India?

If so I wasn't aware india was a "Catholic country".

perhaps others can elaborate.

I think we also cannot take a reported comment such as "This is a Catholic country" as absolutely fact. It may have been said it may be someone ad-libing to the sadness of the case.

I have direct experience with the fabrication of details when something goes wrong...when a case, moral or other wise is to be made.

Unfortunately sometimes people are admitted to a hospital for case and due to grave error a life is needlessly lost, in this case do we even know that an abortion might not have added to her complications?

When the facts of this case are fully understood, the story will be dead and we will be left with assumptions from an early report.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

It is about religious beliefs. When asked why they could not terminate the pregnancy to save the life of the mother, even though she knew she was micarrying the child, the reason they were given is "this is a Catholic country."

Did you even read the article?

i read the article. in the essence, it is "rule of law". it is illegal in ireland to abort unless imminent danger of life to carrier. the doctors in her circumstance apparently believed her case to be treatable. such cases are, in terms of statistical probability. don't think for a minute that they weren't monitoring her for infection, and evaluating her risk level. this is standard of care. as a trained RN i know about this stuff, maybe just a little more than you do.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

what happened is "standard of care" in many countries. termination of a viable is not justifiable unless there is imminent threat to the mother. 20 weeks is viable. it is possible to give drugs that inhibit labour for as long as 3-5 weeks, and other drugs that cause fetal lung maturation, allowing for successful delivery as early as 20 weeks.

what happened here was that the caretakers tried to save the baby, knowing full well of the risk of infection that the cervical dilation presented. i am sure they treated it with a broad spectrum anti-biotic. in clinical i attended a similar case with 4cm dilation and a LEEP impairment. the mother and child both survived the hospitalization (15th thru 20th week) and delivery.

sometimes standard of care gives the intended result. sometimes it does not, but it's the best we have.

this is not about "religious beliefs". it is about the life of an unborn child. when you hold your first child in your hands you will understand. when you hold your first grandchild you will know it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

There is no case on record of a baby surviving delivery at 20 weeks gestation. If you actually saw this happen, then you witnessed a miracle, and also, unfortunately, one that was not recorded in the medical literature anywhere.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

no, in Ireland...

THis happened in India?

If so I wasn't aware india was a "Catholic country".

perhaps others can elaborate.

I think we also cannot take a reported comment such as "This is a Catholic country" as absolutely fact. It may have been said it may be someone ad-libing to the sadness of the case.

I have direct experience with the fabrication of details when something goes wrong...when a case, moral or other wise is to be made.

Unfortunately sometimes people are admitted to a hospital for case and due to grave error a life is needlessly lost, in this case do we even know that an abortion might not have added to her complications?

When the facts of this case are fully understood, the story will be dead and we will be left with assumptions from an early report.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

n/m. Marilyn was quicker

Thanks, this threw me off.

<<<<Speaking from Belgaum in the Karnataka region of southwest India, Mr Halappanavar said an internal examination was performed when she first presented.

>>>>

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

so, if they had travelled together INTO the UK, get the #### out of Ireland, the couple would not have had this problem.

Perhaps was a medical insurance thing, to stay in Ireland, as well?

If'n I was in the husband's position, after hearing the first 'no', I'd have tickets in hand to get to somewhere where abortion IS legal.

Religion Sucks.

Given the clinical condition of the mother, it would have been very difficult to travel anywhere by commercial flight.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, that's why there be helicopter ambulances in that part of the world.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !