TallT2012

Petitoner with a criminal record - is this grounds for denial?

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone i was hoping someone might be able to help me with some information on whether the visa will be denied or not.

i am the us citizen and my fiance (from australia) plan to get married next year and apply for the spousal visa. what we are worried about is that the spousal visa will be denied because of my criminal past.

I have two felony charges from 10 years ago of possesion of drugs (just small for personal use, wasnt charge with distrubtion or intending too) and also one domestic assault charge for pushing my ex into a wall. I am not proud of that but want to fully detail my record in order to see if anyone is able to help and let us know if this will be denied. Then a few years after that I was pulled over and becuse I had a gun in my car, I was charged with felon in possesion of a weapon and was given 7 years.

My fiance is fully aware of my record (we actually originally met on a prison pen pal website) however will my record cause our visa to be denied even though her record is completley clean with the except of a speeding ticket?

If someone could offer some advice not judgement it would be very much appreciated

Timeline

Its not your record is important. Her record is important since she is the beneficiary.

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

I think you might need to look into IMBRA.

But I thought IMBRA only applied to the fiance visa not the spouse visa?

Its not your record is important. Her record is important since she is the beneficiary.

Thank you for your reply, her record is completely clean except for the speeding ticket. We just weren't sure about the effects of the petitioner having a record

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi everyone i was hoping someone might be able to help me with some information on whether the visa will be denied or not.

i am the us citizen and my fiance (from australia) plan to get married next year and apply for the spousal visa. what we are worried about is that the spousal visa will be denied because of my criminal past.

I have two felony charges from 10 years ago of possesion of drugs (just small for personal use, wasnt charge with distrubtion or intending too) and also one domestic assault charge for pushing my ex into a wall. I am not proud of that but want to fully detail my record in order to see if anyone is able to help and let us know if this will be denied. Then a few years after that I was pulled over and becuse I had a gun in my car, I was charged with felon in possesion of a weapon and was given 7 years.

My fiance is fully aware of my record (we actually originally met on a prison pen pal website) however will my record cause our visa to be denied even though her record is completley clean with the except of a speeding ticket?

If someone could offer some advice not judgement it would be very much appreciated

Hi,

The background check is mainly on your fiance/ wife, not you. That's why there are people who even file petitions while in prison.

As for the income requirements, please check this link with the updated 2012 Federal Poverty Guidelines http://www.masslegalhelp.org/court/125percent-federal-poverty-guidelines-article

To calcuate the household size count yourself, your spouse and whoever else lives in your household. Hope this helps.

04EPel7.jpg04EPp3.png

xU4Op3.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one personal attack removed. please answer the op's question without being judgmental.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You should be perfect;y fine and as long as she knows and can speak to it if asked should be no problem. Usually for the USC moral turpitude charges and of course anything that has to do with children are no no's. And your's was long ago. Praying for your successful approval and happy ever after.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you for your help everyone it has been very much appreciated

The 125% above povert line for two people, is that figure the amount you need to earn before or after tax? (Sorry if this has been asked a million times)

I believe it's before tax.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I dis-agree with so many of the replies from members I seen on this post.

Moral Turpitude Only applies to the Beneficiary and not the Petitioner. (The Petitioner's Criminal Background is looked at)

You have some SERIOUS CONVICTIONS against you. 10 years is not a long time and your Offences will be looked at seriously for her safety.

You have drugs, batterment, and a weapons charge on your record. As to a Convicted Felon.

You will need: A Waiver stating you are no threat. A Lawyer to file this but not required but I would'nt take that chance. Proof of Counciling and completion of required Court requirements.

This is a piece of the biggest Beef Jerky you will ever bite into. This is going to need assistance from every juridiction your came in contact with and a letter proving you are no threat/completed programs.

The $19.000.00 is Borderline for 2 but is OK. Thats your last worry for now.

Forgive my honesty. Better to be aware now than later.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

I dis-agree with so many of the replies from members I seen on this post.

Moral Turpitude Only applies to the Beneficiary and not the Petitioner. (The Petitioner's Criminal Background is looked at)

You have some SERIOUS CONVICTIONS against you. 10 years is not a long time and your Offences will be looked at seriously for her safety.

You have drugs, batterment, and a weapons charge on your record. As to a Convicted Felon.

You will need: A Waiver stating you are no threat. A Lawyer to file this but not required but I would'nt take that chance. Proof of Counciling and completion of required Court requirements.

This is a piece of the biggest Beef Jerky you will ever bite into. This is going to need assistance from every juridiction your came in contact with and a letter proving you are no threat/completed programs.

The $19.000.00 is Borderline for 2 but is OK. Thats your last worry for now.

Forgive my honesty. Better to be aware now than later.

No forgiveness necessary as I appreciate peoples responses. However I am now totally confused as everyone we have spoken too all have advised what you have said only applies if we were applying for the fiance visa but we are applying for the spousal visa ?

Edited by TallT2012

Sorry for all the questions everyone. I just downloaded the forms for both the fiance visa and the CR1 spousal visa and the fiance visa specifically has a section asking about crimes etc yet the CR1 spousal visa does not ask anything about a criminal record. So does this mean I don't actually need to send any evidence like my record etc with the application?

Also on the spousal visa form it asks how long we have been living together, we arent because she's from Australia. Is it a requirement that we have to live together? I just don't see how that's possible when we aren't in the same country

Thanks in advance for everyones help without passing too much judgement, it's appreciated

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry for all the questions everyone. I just downloaded the forms for both the fiance visa and the CR1 spousal visa and the fiance visa specifically has a section asking about crimes etc yet the CR1 spousal visa does not ask anything about a criminal record. So does this mean I don't actually need to send any evidence like my record etc with the application?

Tim/Mav gave you incorrect information with regards to spousal visa petitions, you are not required to submit any kind of waiver nor will you be required to send any evidence related to your past indiscretions. With that being said, a criminal background check will likely be done on you and at interview time, a CO will have that information and could ask your wife about the details of it.

Also on the spousal visa form it asks how long we have been living together, we arent because she's from Australia. Is it a requirement that we have to live together? I just don't see how that's possible when we aren't in the same country

There is no requirement for you to have been living together in order to file, you can answer "We have not yet lived together" for that question (that is the answer I gave). "None" is also an appropriate answer for that question. "N/A" is not an appropriate answer for that question because that question is applicable to you.

Furthermore, USCIS will also not expect couple living in separate countries to have things such as joint accounts, property or leases together, etc.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Tim/Mav gave you incorrect information with regards to spousal visa petitions, you are not required to submit any kind of waiver nor will you be required to send any evidence related to your past indiscretions. With that being said, a criminal background check will likely be done on you and at interview time, a CO will have that information and could ask your wife about the details of it.

There is no requirement for you to have been living together in order to file, you can answer "We have not yet lived together" for that question (that is the answer I gave). "None" is also an appropriate answer for that question. "N/A" is not an appropriate answer for that question because that question is applicable to you.

Furthermore, USCIS will also not expect couple living in separate countries to have things such as joint accounts, property or leases together, etc.

In retrospect: So, it is not required for a Spousal Visa Request. So, you implying she attend the interview with No Loaded Guns to defend the Petition and the Petitioner's past Criminal Activity? The beneficiary being aware of his past is good but that will not be on course. The CO is going to look at her safety based on Convictions/Felon. So, what happens is a case like this? Just because she knows about it don't mean much with the Petitioner's Background. To me, it would make better sense to provide Information/Documents related to treatment verification to insure the beneficiary will not be in harms way. I mean: Why go to an interview you can't win unless and maybe they ask for these documents later as I stated. Do it right the first time. Have everything there for the Interview the First time. They will definately throw this on the "back burner" or deny.. Would you Approve it without showing proof of rehabilitation of the Petitioner ? No. And the CO won't either I would think.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.