TallT2012

Petitoner with a criminal record - is this grounds for denial?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

In retrospect: So, it is not required for a Spousal Visa Request. So, you implying she attend the interview with No Loaded Guns to defend the Petition and the Petitioner's past Criminal Activity? The beneficiary being aware of his past is good but that will not be on course. The CO is going to look at her safety based on Convictions/Felon. So, what happens is a case like this? Just because she knows about it don't mean much with the Petitioner's Background. To me, it would make better sense to provide Information/Documents related to treatment verification to insure the beneficiary will not be in harms way. I mean: Why go to an interview you can't win unless and maybe they ask for these documents later as I stated. Do it right the first time. Have everything there for the Interview the First time. They will definately throw this on the "back burner" or deny.. Would you Approve it without showing proof of rehabilitation of the Petitioner ? No. And the CO won't either I would think.

It really doesn't matter what you think. Even if the petitioner was currently on parole for armed robbery, it would have no bearing on a spouse visa process. Only petitioner criminal records related to the Adam Walsh Act would impact the process. IMBRA does not apply to a CR1 or IR1 process.

Consular officers follow the law. The law does not require that petitioners show evidence of rehabilitation for past crimes, so Consular Officers don't require it either.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

It really doesn't matter what you think. Even if the petitioner was currently on parole for armed robbery, it would have no bearing on a spouse visa process. Only petitioner criminal records related to the Adam Walsh Act would impact the process. IMBRA does not apply to a CR1 or IR1 process.

Consular officers follow the law. The law does not require that petitioners show evidence of rehabilitation for past crimes, so Consular Officers don't require it either.

Thank you for your information it's appreciated.

Timeline

Thank you for your information it's appreciated.

You're welcome. Unless your record includes sex crimes against children, you can proceed with the same expectations as those without criminal records.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know you're more educated than me. But, that law sucks. If it was your daughter maybe you would disagree. You are giving the OP the idea that this will be a peice of cake. Really.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Tim/Mav they aren't giving me that impression at all - if I thought it was a piece of cake why would I bother asking for advice to begin with? There's no such thing as an easy process when it comes to visa's and I am already aware of effects of having a record can have which is why we changed from applying for the fiance visa to now applying for the spouse visa not because 'it's easier' but because it's 'better' for our situation

pushbrk - thanks again and no, no sexual crimes or crimes against children. Only thing on my record was what I listed.

Edited by TallT2012

Timeline

I know you're more educated than me. But, that law sucks. If it was your daughter maybe you would disagree. You are giving the OP the idea that this will be a peice of cake. Really.

I gave only the information I gave. You were simply wrong. I said nothing about whether the case will be easy or difficult, only that the criminal record is not going to be an issue in the case. It doesn't matter what I think about the law. It's the law.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I gave only the information I gave. You were simply wrong. I said nothing about whether the case will be easy or difficult, only that the criminal record is not going to be an issue in the case. It doesn't matter what I think about the law. It's the law.

OK Peace.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.